2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Yes, I was actually trying to forget that.

The biggest problem was one of those trades ended up being a lotto pick.  I remember sweating it out.

Oilers traded a 1st for Reinhart.

Apart from us though, can you name 5 other trades in the last 5 years like that?

The only one that comes to mind it JT Miller.

Everything else was TDL stuff.

Might be more since 2016, but I can't come up with any.

That was my point though, not many teams do those trade before the draft.

It's always good to have an identity,  something that differentiates you from the competition. 

Like repeatedly giving away your first rounders for instance 

23 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Less than a month from the draft. Any predictions or hot takes?

Here's a few

-Eichel is traded at the draft for 2022 picks, instead of 2021. Teams always fall in love with the board the closer we get to the draft and will be hesitant to move 21 picks. 

-Dylan Guenther will still be on the board at pick 10, which belongs to Ottawa. Flames fans will be screaming for a trade-up from 12th to 10th, but it doesn't happen and Guenther ends up a Senator.

-The Flames will draft Cole Sillinger

- Two 1st round goalies. Jesper Wallstedt to Detroit at 6th and Sebastian Cossa to Edmonton at 19th

- The Bruins pick will be an American kid that leaves everyone scratching their head. They seldom draft from the CHL, 2017 being the last time they spent a pick on a CHLer. They like their American kids. Sean Behrens or Tyler Boucher, something like that

we will also be screaming, “why the hell did we do so well to win out the season and drop the draft order so far down to 12th!”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Less than a month from the draft. Any predictions or hot takes?

Here's a few

-Eichel is traded at the draft for 2022 picks, instead of 2021. Teams always fall in love with the board the closer we get to the draft and will be hesitant to move 21 picks. 

No idea what happens with Eichel but I would not be surprised if he never plays at the same level again

-Dylan Guenther will still be on the board at pick 10, which belongs to Ottawa. Flames fans will be screaming for a trade-up from 12th to 10th, but it doesn't happen and Guenther ends up a Senator.

-The Flames will draft Cole Sillinger

Not sure who the Flames will draft but seems like they can't stay away from LHS forwards to this is likely.   I'd really like to be wrong here, and no disrespect to Sillinger but he will never be given any opportunity in this organization without an absolute tear-down

- Two 1st round goalies. Jesper Wallstedt to Detroit at 6th and Sebastian Cossa to Edmonton at 19th

I think Wallstedt will drop.   Although, this playoff series featuring first-round goaltending picks could change that.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Not sure who the Flames will draft but seems like they can't stay away from LHS forwards to this is likely.   I'd really like to be wrong here, and no disrespect to Sillinger but he will never be given any opportunity in this organization without an absolute tear-down

I too would like them to go with a RHS. The reason the organization doesn't have any high end players that shoot right is that they haven't drafted right-handed players early. 

If they pick Sillinger though, he's 2-3 seasons away. In that time, two if not all three of Tkachuk, Monahan and Gaudreau won't be on the team. Mangiapane could be a year from UFA. By the time this 2021 class is ready to play, the Flames roster will look very different. 

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I think Wallstedt will drop.   Although, this playoff series featuring first-round goaltending picks could change that.

With Wallstedt, I look at Detroit, LA, Ottawa and Chicago as potential landing spots. Cossa, could go anywhere from 12th-30th in this draft. In the top 10, I think a GM needs some job security to take a goalie, Yzerman has that which is why I can see that as a fit.

I too would like them to go with a RHS. The reason the organization doesn't have any high end players that shoot right is that they haven't drafted right-handed players early. 

If they pick Sillinger though, he's 2-3 seasons away. In that time, two if not all three of Tkachuk, Monahan and Gaudreau won't be on the team. Mangiapane could be a year from UFA. By the time this 2021 class is ready to play, the Flames roster will look very different. 

Zary, Pelletier, our 2022 and 2023 draft picks (which are very forward-heavy), Mangiapane, Dube, Lucic, Ryan, Backlund, Ruzicka, Lindholm, Nikolayev, Phillips...

I ...wish I was making this up

With Wallstedt, I look at Detroit, LA, Ottawa and Chicago as potential landing spots. Cossa, could go anywhere from 12th-30th in this draft. In the top 10, I think a GM needs some job security to take a goalie, Yzerman has that which is why I can see that as a fit.

What you're saying makes sense.

This is why I think he will drop

lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

This is my biggest fear lol

It makes too much sense for us to draft Wallstedt if presented the opportunity.  Markstrom has 5-years remaining and young goalies could take anywhere from 3 to 5 years to develop.  Both are Swedes and so the two are setup well for mentorship from Markstrom to Wallstedt.  Both should just see this as a natural evolution and hand off from one to the other both nationally and within this franchise.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

It makes too much sense for us to draft Wallstedt if presented the opportunity.  Markstrom has 5-years remaining and young goalies could take anywhere from 3 to 5 years to develop.  Both are Swedes and so the two are setup well for mentorship from Markstrom to Wallstedt.  Both should just see this as a natural evolution and hand off from one to the other both nationally and within this franchise.

But how is he on left wing?

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

And yet Wolf is presently on trajectory for being a starter in 3 years.  I don't hate the idea of going all in on Wallstedt, but it leaves us wanting verywhere else.

We don't have any prospects on D other than Poirier that have high reward potential.

57 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

And yet Wolf is presently on trajectory for being a starter in 3 years.  I don't hate the idea of going all in on Wallstedt, but it leaves us wanting verywhere else.

We don't have any prospects on D other than Poirier that have high reward potential.

And?

Not sure if anyone mentioned this player yet - apologies if so - but what about Aatu Raty? A few years ago he was projected to maybe go first overall in this year’s draft, but serious drops in point production the last few seasons has many ranking sources placing him anywhere from 3rd overall to 2nd round. Thing is, he was a 16 year old playing in U18 when he had his big production year. Then, when he moved up again (20+ age group I believe), yet still only 17, he produced much less. Could he be a case where the jump up a level simply needed more time to develop? I’m not an expert. I got this information from a YouTube video, and when I reviewed an article about how the current Tampa Bay Lightning roster was built/assembled (many 2nd and 3rd round players), I feel like this guy would be another diamond Tampa stole in the second round, you know? Anyone have additional info on this guy to share?

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

And?

And the fact is that currently the prospect pool is weaker on D than G.  And the way this organization seems to work is the starter get 80-85% of the starts. so the odds are a high 1st round goalie will be ready long before Markstroms term is up and could possibly stagnate in the minors or on the bench.

The odds are all the goalie prospects until then will face the same fate.

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

Not sure if anyone mentioned this player yet - apologies if so - but what about Aatu Raty? A few years ago he was projected to maybe go first overall in this year’s draft, but serious drops in point production the last few seasons has many ranking sources placing him anywhere from 3rd overall to 2nd round. Thing is, he was a 16 year old playing in U18 when he had his big production year. Then, when he moved up again (20+ age group I believe), yet still only 17, he produced much less. Could he be a case where the jump up a level simply needed more time to develop? I’m not an expert. I got this information from a YouTube video, and when I reviewed an article about how the current Tampa Bay Lightning roster was built/assembled (many 2nd and 3rd round players), I feel like this guy would be another diamond Tampa stole in the second round, you know? Anyone have additional info on this guy to share?

The Hockey News has his comp listed as Monahan.

From what I've read and to a lesser extent seen from Raty, he has the tools, he just has been unable to put it all together on a consistent basis. A little bit like Kylington, remember there was a time when Kylington was up there with guys like Hanifin and Werenski in talks as the best D heading in to the 2015 draft. We all know Kylington slid, Jakob Chychrun did a little bit as well but was still a mid 1st. I think Raty ends up going in the 15-25 range.

Personally, I'd rather take an ascending player, someone that skyrockets up the draft board throughout the season rather than someone who's stock has plummeted like Raty. If the Flames had an additional 1st, I'd likely feel differently though

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I agree with this.

Wallstedt looks great but we are in greater need of both high-end forward and D prospects.

49 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

And the fact is that currently the prospect pool is weaker on D than G.  And the way this organization seems to work is the starter get 80-85% of the starts. so the odds are a high 1st round goalie will be ready long before Markstroms term is up and could possibly stagnate in the minors or on the bench.

The odds are all the goalie prospects until then will face the same fate.

Wolf is not a sure thing.  We don't know if he's more David Rittich or Jacob Markstrom yet.

19 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

I agree with this.

Wallstedt looks great but we are in greater need of both high-end forward and D prospects.

We need D sure but we need it right now.  Never draft for right now.  Look farther into the future.  Drafting a G is for 5-years later.  It just so happens Markstrom is here for 5-years and then either retires or declines into a backup.  Timing is perfect.

49 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Wolf is not a sure thing.  We don't know if he's more David Rittich or Jacob Markstrom yet.

We need D sure but we need it right now.  Never draft for right now.  Look farther into the future.  Drafting a G is for 5-years later.  It just so happens Markstrom is here for 5-years and then either retires or declines into a backup.  Timing is perfect.

I can see where you’re coming from, but I think we also need a D for 5 years from now as well. Valamaki might bust due to Dutter being Dutter. Hanifin will start to go downhill by then. Andersson is a good too 4 but. It a top pairing D. We have a few D prospects but none tip the needle. 

is Wallstedt a Vasilevsky? If he’s the sure thing, I’d vote yes… I just have no clue if that’s the case. 

45 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

is Wallstedt a Vasilevsky? If he’s the sure thing, I’d vote yes… I just have no clue if that’s the case. 

Wallstedt highlights are hard to find but from what I can tell, he has Markstrom-level potential.  So top 8/9/10 in the NHL at peak.  Wallstedt squares up so naturally and is a clutch first save goalie.  Great rebound controller.  His weakness is scanning the field to apply "sixth sense" and anticipating one second into the future.  He tunnels in on the shooter only from what I can tell.

Vasilevsky is a top 3 G in the NHL right now so... I would say no, Wallstedt is not top 3 material.  Askarov was the real deal last season.  Kid doesn't just make saves but knows where shooters will shoot.  Like, would even give shooters a place to shoot to bait them sorta thing.  That is elite understanding of the shooter/goalie situation.  Askarov will be a superstar G in the NHL.

On that note, Cossa has NHL potential as well.  I've seen him listed anywhere from 6'-5" to 6'-7" and he looks huge in highlights.  He's a big goalie who's weakness is getting back up on his skates after making a save.  He needs to add bulk up and improve endurance in that regard to help him jump right back to his feet after making a save.  But he's so tall he tracks the puck well.  He battles hard to look over screens to track pucks/shooters.  He just "gets it" when you watch him.  I think that will translate very well to the NHL.  I believe his ceiling is also top 8/9/10 in the NHL if he can put it all together.

17 hours ago, The_People1 said:

And?

What FFIJL said.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Wolf is for sure not a sure thing.  But passing up potential sure things on D and at F to take a goalie that is also not a sure thing seems risky.

And that assumes that a bunch of teams pass on him.

If he dropped, it would be a hard decision for us.

If we only had Parsons, I would be more inclined to take a goialie.

2nd choice Cossa is a big guy in a small league.

Maybe he's the 2nd coming of Koskinen.

We need D prospects and wingers and RHS C in the pipeline.  And those aren't just immediate needs, they span the next 5 years as well.

13 hours ago, lou44291 said:

I'd pass personally. My biggest issue with Raty is I think the offensive upside was over sold and it's not really there. His hockey sense is just ok, shot avg and I think what's hurt his numbers as he's gone up in league is once you take away time and space he sits back and plays more of a perimeter game. I'm not sure if it's a will thing or a skill thing, probably a mix of both, but I don't see his ability to produce good offensive numbers because once his space is taken away he doesn't have much to his game. 

he's a tremendous skater and shows good two way instincts so you could develop him as a bottom 6 center but I don't think that's the type of player you take in the first round. 

Judging from what I saw on the post about Lysell, I think he's the one I would like. Even though he's not a bigger type, he has the speed and change up and apparently has high hockey IQ. 

Can the lack of a shot be overcome? Johnny has scored some goals with sheer agility and he can pass or shoot. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Judging from what I saw on the post about Lysell, I think he's the one I would like. Even though he's not a bigger type, he has the speed and change up and apparently has high hockey IQ. 

Can the lack of a shot be overcome? Johnny has scored some goals with sheer agility and he can pass or shoot. 

I like Lysell a lot, he reminds me of Rickard Rakell. My viewings of him are last years u17 and this years u18. He has a very good shot, I think he will score 25 a season in the NHL. When I've seen him play he's looked to me like someone who wants to be a difference-maker. 

One thing I've read about Lysell, there may be some attitude issues there. 

I've got an Elite Prospects account, so I received their Draft Guide. I don't totally agree with everything they publish, but they do put together a comprehensive draft guide.

Sillinger and Lucius are two players that have been frequently mocked to the Flames. A few jot-notes on the two players from EliteProspects

Sillinger- NHL caliber shot. Wasn't too interested in defending in the USHL this year. His play-making regressed this year, could be a result of poor teammates. Strong on the walls in the offensive zone

Lucius- Dual threat player, shooter and distributor. Inconsistent, not too interested in defending. Likes to slow things down, doesn't play with pace.

If anyone would like some info on other prospects I'd be willing to share like I did with Lucius/Sillinger. I won't go into great detail, because obviously Elite Prospects desrves to be compensated for their work. 

On 6/28/2021 at 4:15 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

I like Lysell a lot, he reminds me of Rickard Rakell. My viewings of him are last years u17 and this years u18. He has a very good shot, I think he will score 25 a season in the NHL. When I've seen him play he's looked to me like someone who wants to be a difference-maker. 

One thing I've read about Lysell, there may be some attitude issues there. 

Maybe Cgy need some attitude, cause as of now the only player with some attitude has been hogtied (Tachuck)…Cgy has been kinda bland last year and the few years before that Tachuck has been pretty much the only interested part of the Flames?