Calgary Flames 20/21 Roster and Lines

JTech780

15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

My lines for tonight would be:

Mangiapane-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Gaudreau-Monahan-Leivo

Bennett-Backlund-Dube

Lucic-Froese-Nordstrom

I would like to see Ruzicka get a shot at sometime. Either to swap out Nordstrom or Froese. During the camp he seemed to stand out the most.  

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

My lines for tonight would be:

Mangiapane-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Gaudreau-Monahan-Leivo

Bennett-Backlund-Dube

Lucic-Froese-Nordstrom

Interesting.

I suspect we will be matching Backlund vs McD and Draisaitl mostly.

If Bennett plays, that's not a bad thing; he seems to bring his A game in that matchup.

Leivo hasn't shown yet that he's a good fit on the 2nd line.

Maybe it's better to swap him with Dube.

Smaller winger, but the Oilers only dirty player on LW is Archibald.

Oilers will be likely dressing 7D again.

Double shifting on the 4th line.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Interesting.

I suspect we will be matching Backlund vs McD and Draisaitl mostly.

If Bennett plays, that's not a bad thing; he seems to bring his A game in that matchup.

Leivo hasn't shown yet that he's a good fit on the 2nd line.

Maybe it's better to swap him with Dube.

Smaller winger, but the Oilers only dirty player on LW is Archibald.

Oilers will be likely dressing 7D again.

Double shifting on the 4th line.

I think Leivo's game is turning a corner and I think Gaudreau and Monahan benefit from having a RHS on their line.

I think Dube needs to take a step back and just play his game, right now I think he is too worried about putting up offense.

As far as matching up against McDavid, I would put either Bennett or Backlund on McDavid all night and tell them not to leave his side. You can't let him have the puck in the defensive or neutral zones that's where he kills you.

15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think Leivo's game is turning a corner and I think Gaudreau and Monahan benefit from having a RHS on their line.

I think Dube needs to take a step back and just play his game, right now I think he is too worried about putting up offense.

As far as matching up against McDavid, I would put either Bennett or Backlund on McDavid all night and tell them not to leave his side. You can't let him have the puck in the defensive or neutral zones that's where he kills you.

Yeah, got no issue with focusing Backlund on McD.

I just hope the blender does not come out tonight.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Ritchie would have to come in for Nordstrom, and with Ryan already out I can't see Ward wanting to take another PK option out of the lineup.

Probably not but imo that’s just poor planning. It’s not like Nordstrom’s been great or he doesn’t have other options. 

I gotta say I am perplexed by the big change to the lineup after the WPG game.

Ryan was out, yes.

Did I miss something about how we sould be dressing 1 PK forward and two guys to warm the bench as a 4th line?

Couldn't even double shift a good forward with them.

BT needs to step in and make some good GM decisions about the taxi squad.

Ward doesn;t seem tp think Simon or Leivo are NHL payers.

Sorry Wardo, you are pretty dumb to think that Rinaldo and Froese are going to change the team somehow.

You don't want to play Leiov or Simon, BT needs to bring in two prospects that may acually have NHL careers.

So, we get 2 minutes of a couple of 4th liners.

Might as well dress Kylington as an extra D and use him on LW.

At least he can skate.

Ha, not sure what the lines were like last night against Edm but, I find it funny the last goal Bennett scored and Gaudreau and Monahan assisted on at even strength...

thing is I’d really like to see what Bennet can do with Tachuck and Dube on the RW 

• Like 1

Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube

Lucic-Backlund-Mangiapane

Nordstrom-Gawdin-Leivo

I would have Simon in over Nordstrom, but the staff won't.

There's way more upside in Gawdin than Froese at this point. I think Gawdin is at the point where you have to find out what you have in him, he will be 24 in March. This isn't a young kid that needs time learning the pro game. With Ryan being hurt, now is the time to see Gawdin in that 4th line role.

2 mins a night for Rinaldo, can't be happening again. It's just so taxing on the rest of the forwards.

• Like 2

I know there's not a lot of data available, but I will just post this summary of Gaudreau/Monahan with and without Bennett.  Not my comments, just an opinion piece:

GAUDREAU – MONAHAN – BENNETT

Let’s take a dive into how this line has looked together, using data from Natural Stat Trick. To learn more about the stats in the chart below, please check out our primer.

Line TOI CF% xGF% SCF% HDCF% GF% OZS%
Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett 17.55 28.6% 29.0% 25.0% 20.0% 66.7% 72.7%

This is… not good. For a line that starts most of their shifts in the offensive zone, they are clearly unable to generate chances in the offensive zone. Although Monahan has only won 45% of his draws so far this season, even when they win the faceoff, they are not generating any real chances. Then, when the puck is in their own zone, this line struggles defensively.

GAUDREAU – MONAHAN – BENNETT

Line TOI CF% xGF% SCF% HDCF% GF% OZS%
Gaudreau & Monahan w/o Bennett 107.04 54.3% 55.0% 52.6% 48.5% 66.7% 59.5%

Although it is a much larger sample size, Gaudreau and Monahan clearly look better without Bennett. Whether they are with Andrew Mangiapane, Dominik Simon, Josh Leivo, Dillon Dube or anyone else, the Flames’ dynamic duo just looks better without Bennett than they do with him.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I know there's not a lot of data available, but I will just post this summary of Gaudreau/Monahan with and without Bennett.  Not my comments, just an opinion piece:

This is good info, but the sample size is far too small. Personally, I don't actually think that this is the best spot for Bennett, but I'd bet that this data would look a lot better given a few games.

Love.

The data is interesting but the conclusion is too quick IMO. While yes statistically they were the worst it's also the smallest sample size and the difference between that line's performance with Bennett vs Simon for example is not drastic when you consider the sample size. Also consider that Mangiapane is the only player who actually boosted their performance and without Mangiapane the lines with Gaudreau-Monahan all come out as pretty avg, just to varying degrees. 

I don't actually like Bennett up there either, just don't agree with the conclusion given sample size. 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The data is interesting but the conclusion is too quick IMO. While yes statistically they were the worst it's also the smallest sample size and the difference between that line's performance with Bennett vs Simon for example is not drastic when you consider the sample size. Also consider that Mangiapane is the only player who actually boosted their performance and without Mangiapane the lines with Gaudreau-Monahan all come out as pretty avg, just to varying degrees. 

I don't actually like Bennett up there either, just don't agree with the conclusion given sample size. 

It's way too small a sample size to make any conclusion.

Just the only thing I could find about it.

The only thing it says to me was that it wasn't all roses when he played there.

I don't think he's a fit there, but then again he's not a RW.

2 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

This is good info, but the sample size is far too small. Personally, I don't actually think that this is the best spot for Bennett, but I'd bet that this data would look a lot better given a few games.

Love.

51 minutes ago, cross16 said:

42 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's way too small a sample size to make any conclusion.

Just the only thing I could find about it.

The only thing it says to me was that it wasn't all roses when he played there.

I don't think he's a fit there, but then again he's not a RW.

And I think this is part of the problem with finding the fit and with Bennett on the line. Simon didn't look that great with them for the first few games. The only difference is that they gave it a few games to grow some flow to the their game as a group. I see what everyone sees, the fact Bennett disrupts a flow. How many of us play hockey? Do we play perfectly with brand new line mates with every new player we play with? My bet is it varies. Some players you mesh with right away. Some it takes a game to get a feel, and some it takes a handful of games. 

I get that these guys have played organized hockey for years, but to me, I think it's good to give it time with some players. 

And to me, when Bennett is on their line it looks like the all have two left feet. They seem to be in each other's way a lot. But then, they also only give them a game or less to get in sync, while others they seem to give more time.

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

And I think this is part of the problem with finding the fit and with Bennett on the line. Simon didn't look that great with them for the first few games. The only difference is that they gave it a few games to grow some flow to the their game as a group. I see what everyone sees, the fact Bennett disrupts a flow. How many of us play hockey? Do we play perfectly with brand new line mates with every new player we play with? My bet is it varies. Some players you mesh with right away. Some it takes a game to get a feel, and some it takes a handful of games. 

I get that these guys have played organized hockey for years, but to me, I think it's good to give it time with some players. 

And to me, when Bennett is on their line it looks like the all have two left feet. They seem to be in each other's way a lot. But then, they also only give them a game or less to get in sync, while others they seem to give more time.

I am in no means suggesting that they shouldn't give it some time.

Getting a bit of a garbage goal from that line is fine, but it's not their strength.

I say garbage only because most goalies stop that one, with the upper part of the net open.

Having a C/LW playing RW sets off alarm bells for me.

We've done it so long....

Simon played with a play driver at times and hasn't been much of a fit so far here.

I don't think too much should be expected with a depth guy that can play up and down the lines. 

Maybe a trade isn't in the cards and this is about all we can expect; a decent line with Backlund and an okay line with Gaudreau.

The latter could improve.

Or we end up making a trade for a top 6 RW.

For what Bennett is delivering so far, we probably get that from Ruzicka.

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I am in no means suggesting that they shouldn't give it some time.

Getting a bit of a garbage goal from that line is fine, but it's not their strength.

I say garbage only because most goalies stop that one, with the upper part of the net open.

Having a C/LW playing RW sets off alarm bells for me.

We've done it so long....

Simon played with a play driver at times and hasn't been much of a fit so far here.

I don't think too much should be expected with a depth guy that can play up and down the lines. 

Maybe a trade isn't in the cards and this is about all we can expect; a decent line with Backlund and an okay line with Gaudreau.

The latter could improve.

Or we end up making a trade for a top 6 RW.

well, I get you think it’s a garbage goal. But it’s a goal and sometimes it takes one. He had 18 in his rookie year, I just think it is feel for the puck too. He’s not felt it in years. Will it come back? 

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I know this is the way it works for a lot of fans now, the shiny new toy is always better, but the odds of this being true are extremely small. The odds Ruzicka is an NHL player are small but to step into these situations where Bennett is right now? Very unlikely IMO. 

that's nothing against Ruzicka either, I do like him, but let's not pretend he has a sky high trajectory or something. He still has tall odds just to make the NHL. 

Starting to sound like Bennett my stay as RW with Gaudreau and Monahan...sounds like Bennett brings the skills they have been looking to add to the duo...

maybe, just maybe, this fits...I’d love to see Bennett have some success with these two too..still think he should Ctr Tachuck but if this works that’s great too! Beats taking TO’s garbage and it would be great for Bennett to have some

success and help the team too 

I still think BT refuses to see the real issue is Lucic’s salary and lack of RW’s and skilled size up front  which if Bennett were to be moved to Ctr Tachuck would expose the RW weakness BT just can’t seem to find a fix for...I will say he was 100% right to look and Anderson (now Mlt but then CBL) how awesome would that be right now?

Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm 

Tachuck/Bennett/Anderson

Manji/Backlund/Dube

thosemwouldnhave been some pretty amazing 3 lines right there!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I know this is the way it works for a lot of fans now, the shiny new toy is always better, but the odds of this being true are extremely small. The odds Ruzicka is an NHL player are small but to step into these situations where Bennett is right now? Very unlikely IMO. 

that's nothing against Ruzicka either, I do like him, but let's not pretend he has a sky high trajectory or something. He still has tall odds just to make the NHL. 

I'm a realist, but I do have high hopes for some players.  Maybe he's not NHL ready, or maybe he has the right jam to play.

It's not a shiny new toy thing at all.

I've seen some of his play and he seems to have good skills.

He's not going to come in (even if he managed to get a call) and play top 6 with Monahan.

As a 3rd or 4th line player, I would expect that he hope he could put up 2 points in around 10 games.