UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Seems unlikely now we would be in on Hall.  

Not necessarily. The sign Hall, trade Gaudreau strategy would still be doable as long as Hall isn't asking for 8mill AAV or more. 

not saying it will happen but it's as probable now as it was at the start of the day. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I actually don't think anything has changed.  If we want to add Hall, we still can; we would just have to trade someone else later to make up for it (which was likely always going to be the case anyway). It would likely be Gaudreau on the move for futures in that case.

Similarly, we could probably still bring in AP.  We would need to offload probably Hanifin to make it work.  The question becomes, do we want Hall or Gaudreau? Hanifin or AP? Of course, those players would have to want to come as well.  I think Hall would, AP not so much.

Just now, cross16 said:

Not necessarily. The sign Hall, trade Gaudreau strategy would still be doable as long as Hall isn't asking for 8mill AAV or more. 

not saying it will happen but it's as probable now as it was at the start of the day. 

Trues.  It's just hard to do though.

Gaudreau for a RD/RW.  I would trade Giordano before Hanifin.  Target AP.

Valimaki - Petro

Hanifin - Andersson

I don't understand how ppl can be happy with 6x6 on a Goalie who is 30 yrs old with nmc. According to Hayes not a big deal the NMC is what concerns me. I hear lots of complaining on Gio and his contract who we all know is a work horse I don't get it do the ppl on this site really believe this is a good deal? Well I can't wait to see how you all react in a few yrs when you can't move him. Also seems like the Flames let half of there penalty killers walk I hope Gawdin can move up and take a spot perhaps he is a little meaner than Janko. Next bunch of queries is Ruzicka ready for the NHL and can Phillips move up.   

4 minutes ago, zima said:

I don't understand how ppl can be happy with 6x6 on a Goalie who is 30 yrs old with nmc.  I hear lots of complaining on Gio and his contract who we all know is a work horse I don't get it do the ppl on this site really believe this is a good deal? Well I can't wait to see how you all react in a few yrs when you can't move him. Also seems like the Flames let half of there penalty killers walk I hope Gawdin can move up and take a spot perhaps he is a little meaner than Janko. Next bunch of queries is Ruzicka ready for the NHL and can Phillips move up.   

For sures.  By 34ish, we going to see the decline... Depends how steep.

1 minute ago, zima said:

I don't understand how ppl can be happy with 6x6 on a Goalie who is 30 yrs old with nmc.  I hear lots of complaining on Gio and his contract who we all know is a work horse I don't get it do the ppl on this site really believe this is a good deal? Well I can't wait to see how you all react in a few yrs when you can't move him. Also seems like the Flames let half of there penalty killers walk I hope Gawdin can move up and take a spot perhaps he is a little meaner than Janko. Next bunch of queries is Ruzicka ready for the NHL and can Phillips move up.   

Goalies tend to age better than players. There is definitely risk on the back end of this deal and I think everyone realizes that. This is just cost of doing business if you want a number 1 goalie.

This team had two choices this offseason, pack it in and go for a rebuild, or push their chips in and go for it. Anywhere in between is a catastrophic decision. 

Signing Markstrom is a push your chips in and go all in move and I am fine with it, if they had just stood pat and went with what they had, I would have been concerned for the direction of the team.

10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

interesting. Not a very attractive buyout so the clear the Flames see him staying good for the duration of his contract. 

Did not expect that. Makes it a little riskier contract from a Flames perspective. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

interesting. Not a very attractive buyout so the clear the Flames see him staying good for the duration of his contract. 

Did not expect that. Makes it a riskier contract from a Flames perspective. 

I went and looked at what a buyout of the last two years looks like it would carry cap hits of:

$3.67m save $2.33m

$3.67m save $2.33m

$1.16m

$1.16m

If they buy out the last year of the deal:

$3.67m save $2.33m

$1.16m

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Did not expect that. Makes it a little riskier contract from a Flames perspective. 

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

I went and looked at what a buyout of the last two years looks like it would carry cap hits of:

$3.67m save $2.33m

$3.67m save $2.33m

$1.16m

$1.16m

$3.67m save $2.33m

$1.16m

Imagine the signing bonus is for "if you retire immediately"

Just now, JTech780 said:

$3.67m save $2.33m

$3.67m save $2.33m

$1.16m

$1.16m

$3.67m save $2.33m

$1.16m

ya it’s more about the cash it would take. Just makes it harder to sell to ownership although that last year is manageable. 

37 minutes ago, cross16 said:

agreed.. hes wanted him too badly for the last couple years now . Hes not just walking away 

40 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I actually don't think anything has changed.  If we want to add Hall, we still can; we would just have to trade someone else later to make up for it (which was likely always going to be the case anyway). It would likely be Gaudreau on the move for futures in that case.

Similarly, we could probably still bring in AP.  We would need to offload probably Hanifin to make it work.  The question becomes, do we want Hall or Gaudreau? Hanifin or AP? Of course, those players would have to want to come as well.  I think Hall would, AP not so much.

yes to Hall, over JG cause he’s a game changer JG is a pure goal scoring snipper so I’d rather the game changer....

on the D side I’d rather Brodie over AP especially where he works so well with Gio...even if Hall signed and Brodie and JG traded we would still need to fill holes on RW and one on RD mmm not sure how that will shake out

Or

maybe resign Brodie And take a shot at Toffoil those may fit not in terms of need and both could fit without need to move too many players🤔

Archived