COVID-19 and NHL

The_People1

5 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

That's your opinion. That's very dismissive. The lockdown was so the virus wouldn't spread. Yes, there was a lockdown and yes, the virus didn't spread as much as they thought it would, so in that sense, the lockdown actually worked. It saved the medical system from being overloaded much like it would have been in Italy. That video was ridiculous (to me). Now, if they kept international travel open and communities open to outside visitors, you open up the opportunity for it to spread faster. The communities did a good job of limiting.

And yes, there were some opinions that masks didn't do as much as they would, and they're finding out that it does help. 

I like the analogy.

If I had to pee so bad while talking to you, would you prefer me to be wearing pants or no pants or underwear? I think you'd prefer me wearing pants instead of pissing all over you.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

That's your opinion. That's very dismissive. The lockdown was so the virus wouldn't spread. Yes, there was a lockdown and yes, the virus didn't spread as much as they thought it would, so in that sense, the lockdown actually worked. It saved the medical system from being overloaded much like it would have been in Italy. That video was ridiculous (to me). Now, if they kept international travel open and communities open to outside visitors, you open up the opportunity for it to spread faster. The communities did a good job of limiting.

And yes, there were some opinions that masks didn't do as much as they would, and they're finding out that it does help. 

I like the analogy.

If I had to pee so bad while talking to you, would you prefer me to be wearing pants or no pants or underwear? I think you'd prefer me wearing pants instead of pissing all over you.

What saved Canada from the same fate as Italy was population density.

As far as opening the air border, they have never actually closed it except to the US.

Even then, it exempts truck drivers.

Lots of flights daily from the US.

Far less people are coming into the country, but still they come.

Check out Toronto's arrivals today for some context.

Jamaica, US, Israel, London, Mexico, China.

Tomorrow US, China, London, India, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Poland, Qatar.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What saved Canada from the same fate as Italy was population density.

As far as opening the air border, they have never actually closed it except to the US.

Even then, it exempts truck drivers.

Lots of flights daily from the US.

Far less people are coming into the country, but still they come.

Check out Toronto's arrivals today for some context.

Jamaica, US, Israel, London, Mexico, China.

Tomorrow US, China, London, India, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Poland, Qatar.

Ya, but the other measures have to be considered. There are travellers coming in, but the lockdowns and social distancing helps. You're right, and keeping the population less dense is part of that. There are times when you need to be close to people and having masks on helps.

You get a hockey player who has it and leaves it up to them to decide whether they decide to play through it, and it starts to spread, I think that's trouble.

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Ya, but the other measures have to be considered. There are travellers coming in, but the lockdowns and social distancing helps. You're right, and keeping the population less dense is part of that. There are times when you need to be close to people and having masks on helps.

You get a hockey player who has it and leaves it up to them to decide whether they decide to play through it, and it starts to spread, I think that's trouble.

Unfortunately, we know so little about the virus.

Differing interpretation of how long the virus remains on surfaces for one.

Whether breathing through your nose blocks out the virus. 

Does an asymptomatic person have the potential to spread the virus?

In theory, yes because they still exhale.

I don't think it's that simple.

Someday down the road we may have a better understanding of the reasons for the spread.

Right now, it's risk management being used to determine best efforts.

The NHL is operating with as much information as Health Canada and local health authorities.

We have so little true information about the socioeconomic reasons, mortality rate and infection rate for low risk people and even the percentage of contact traced people being infected.  It's crazy.      

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

16 NBA players tested positive for Covid.

https://www.tsn.ca/sixteen-of-302-nba-players-tested-for-covid-19-test-positive-1.1489813

I feel one league is waiting for the other to see what they do and if they cancel the season first.  In regards to the NHL, there's so much money at stake.  Not only does the NHL need a new US TV deal in a year, they still have commitments to the current one.

TV paid to broadcast games.  Hey, no games now.  TV wants a refund.  I bet all the owners already spent that money.  There's no money to refund.  They must play the games.

NBA putting it out there that it may come to the point where they can't play. I agree with what you are saying. 

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

To be expected. Those numbers are not higher than you would think but still something the NHL will have to troubleshoot. 

It will be interesting if any players decide to opt out. Three players from MLB have opted out of their season, including 2 players from the Nationals.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

To be expected. Those numbers are not higher than you would think but still something the NHL will have to troubleshoot. 

What about testing players wives and girlfriends?  I assume players aren't going to be monks for 2 months?

And if the wives accompany the players then surely the kids must go with the moms?  All testing?  All inside the bubble?

"Hurry up and lose honey.  The kids want to go home and school starts in a week."

35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

What about testing players wives and girlfriends?  I assume players aren't going to be monks for 2 months?

And if the wives accompany the players then surely the kids must go with the moms?  All testing?  All inside the bubble?

"Hurry up and lose honey.  The kids want to go home and school starts in a week."

I think you may be hard pressed to have a bubble extending past the roster and team personnel.

We only see about 20 players, a few coaches and a GM/AGM at games under normal circumstances.

If the roster limit is 28 or 30, then I don't see any way that you could include WAGs.

I thought I had read that only 50 total (players and personnel) would be permitted per team.

Maybe that was an early number.

19 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think you may be hard pressed to have a bubble extending past the roster and team personnel.

We only see about 20 players, a few coaches and a GM/AGM at games under normal circumstances.

If the roster limit is 28 or 30, then I don't see any way that you could include WAGs.

I thought I had read that only 50 total (players and personnel) would be permitted per team.

Maybe that was an early number.

That's the thing.  What's the NHL'S plan for the players wives and family?  Up to two months away from family is tough.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That's the thing.  What's the NHL'S plan for the players wives and family?  Up to two months away from family is tough.

I believe it was Blake Wheeler, could be wrong her though, that said flat out if you are pulling me away from my family for that long he won't go. 

Sounds like many of these questions are not being answered. 

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I believe it was Blake Wheeler, could be wrong her though, that said flat out if you are pulling me away from my family for that long he won't go. 

Sounds like many of these questions are not being answered. 

So how are wives and kids going to keep themselves safe in Vegas?... Of all places.

It’s a tough situation, it’s a long time being away from family for the players. 

The only real defence of the time away that I’ve heard is, 8 teams will be done in 10 days, then they go home. 2 weeks later another 8 are done. They view the time away from the family as a trade-off for going on a deep run, because in reality 2/3 of the teams are done in less than a month

Everything considered this isn't a good look for the NHL.

Add in the fact that the amount of cases in the US is sky rocketing right now, 40,000 new cases every day. 

I am starting to wonder if they are waiting on announcing the hub cities, because they might have to go with two Canadian cities. Edmonton and Toronto.

As much as I want hockey right now, and as much as I want to be positive, I just think that trying to finish a season right now would irresponsible.

I think trying to do it in the US is a big mistake for sure, they have shown a staggering level of ineptitude in handling the pandemic.

As far as having it in Canada, it would have to handled with extreme caution. Allowing a bunch players and staff from outside the country to come in and basically put all the good work the country has put in to keep the numbers low, at risk, is not something to be taken lightly.

I don't have the answers and so far it doesn't seem like NHL or the NHLPA have the answers either.

I guess I will just have to keep watching KBO.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So how are wives and kids going to keep themselves safe in Vegas?... Of all places.

I don't see how the teams can allow families into these hub cities. It doesn't make any sense. From what I have been hearing is that the players understand that it is part of the sacrifice to keep the league going is for them to have to be away from their families for a prolonged period of time. I mean they are well compensated.

As far as Wheeler goes. I am sure the Flames will make sure he gets back to his family as quickly as possible.

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don't see how the teams can allow families into these hub cities. It doesn't make any sense. From what I have been hearing is that the players understand that it is part of the sacrifice to keep the league going is for them to have to be away from their families for a prolonged period of time. I mean they are well compensated.

As far as Wheeler goes. I am sure the Flames will make sure he gets back to his family as quickly as possible.

The compensation level shouldn't be a factor.  Players could have different reasons for not wanting to play and all could be valid no matter what you make in salary.  A player who doesn't feel safe, is allowed to feel that way.  Players also could have a partner or kid with health difficulties, many players could have partners that are expecting, possibly a big boost given the stoppage.

I feel the players shouldn't be judged for their decisions, I just feel the culture around hockey puts the Stanley Cup above all things that should matter to a players life, and that's just sad.  

41 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

16 minutes ago, sak22 said:

The compensation level shouldn't be a factor.  Players could have different reasons for not wanting to play and all could be valid no matter what you make in salary.  A player who doesn't feel safe, is allowed to feel that way.  Players also could have a partner or kid with health difficulties, many players could have partners that are expecting, possibly a big boost given the stoppage.

I feel the players shouldn't be judged for their decisions, I just feel the culture around hockey puts the Stanley Cup above all things that should matter to a players life, and that's just sad.  

True.  If Wheeler wants to stay home then he should.  Hopefully, Scheifele and Laine stay home too.

34 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

As far as having it in Canada, it would have to handled with extreme caution. Allowing a bunch players and staff from outside the country to come in and basically put all the good work the country has put in to keep the numbers low, at risk, is not something to be taken lightly.

So allowing teams and staff that are tested daily are monitored and housed in secure sterile accommodations, and are in peak physical condition is a risk to Canada?

But allowing ( from China at just the Tor Int. Airport (today)) 6 flights a day without monitoring, without enforcing the 2 week stay at home quarantine, without testing arrivals, without contacting their canadian contacts is Less of a risk to Canada?

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Don't get me wrong, I agree if a player isn't comfortable playing, then they shouldn't be judged for staying home. I would feel the same if it was Giordano or Gaudreau who stayed home.

Unfortunately the hockey mentality is too tough it out and if you don't you are a pansy.

56 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

So allowing teams and staff that are tested daily are monitored and housed in secure sterile accommodations, and are in peak physical condition is a risk to Canada?

But allowing ( from China at just the Tor Int. Airport (today)) 6 flights a day without monitoring, without enforcing the 2 week stay at home quarantine, without testing arrivals, without contacting their canadian contacts is Less of a risk to Canada?

There will be people coming and going at these sites. It won't be sterile. The players will be in the bubble, but the people who work at the hotels or cooks will be coming and going.

To be able to enter Canada on an international flight you have to be a resident, immediate family of a resident, or a temporary foreign worker. They are pre screened for symptoms before they get on the plane. And if they show any symptoms they aren't allowed in the country.

There are risks either way. I am just saying the government has to be careful so we don't end up like the US.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Don't get me wrong, I agree if a player isn't comfortable playing, then they shouldn't be judged for staying home. I would feel the same if it was Giordano or Gaudreau who stayed home.

Unfortunately the hockey mentality is too tough it out and if you don't you are a pansy.

To add to this, one player who I wouldn't blame one bit for staying home is T.J. Brodie. His wife has MS and I would think it would be a difficult decision to play hockey this year with the risks associated with it.

I fail to understand the league's reluctance to allow players on the reserve list to play in the play-in. 

Every single year they allow it, what's the difference this year? COL signed Makar after game 1 last year and CBJ signed Gavrikov before the playoffs, both guys were difference makers for their clubs.

MIN and NYI get the short end of the stick here, if they can't sign Kaprizov and Sorokin, you're talking about another year of them staying in Russia at a minimum. Realistically they won't get the players, whose rights they have owned for 5 years until 2021, because why would the league let them sign after next years KHL season if the NHL won't allow it this year.

Archived