COVID-19 and NHL

The_People1

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I think that colliding with the Stampede, and summer in general, could be a really bad thing in Calgary. You'd have to black out dates for potential playoff games that they might not even make it into, and that'd be a big problem because there are always concerts, and other events that are guaranteed income. 

Love. 

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Stampede has already been cancelled this year.  

Are we talking about Stampede next year?  Or Stampeder/CFL games?

It was going forward if the NHL decided to start in December every year.

May someone can correct me but I have not seen anything out that that suggests the NHL is considering moving to a December start on a permanent basis. They are just being flexible with potentially starting the 20-21 season later as they want to do everything they can to fit in both seasons. 

48 minutes ago, cross16 said:

May someone can correct me but I have not seen anything out that that suggests the NHL is considering moving to a December start on a permanent basis. They are just being flexible with potentially starting the 20-21 season later as they want to do everything they can to fit in both seasons. 

It was Elliott Friedman that said he's heard from several American clubs they would like a permanent December start

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It was Elliott Friedman that said he's heard from several American clubs they would like a permanent December start

Gotcha. Ok good so just a team idea and not actually being discussed or considered by the NHL.

There have been a few really bad ideas floated around here, like making the 24 team playoff permanent and now this idea of starting in December, so i'm hopefully it's just ideas being thrown out there. Hope the league doesn't panic or anything and makes a bad decision. 

Something interesting about the 2 hub format is, there will have to be games played during the day, kinda like the MLB playoffs. Fortunately, the Flames-Jets would draw the most eyeballs of any series in the West, so it should be the prime time game. 

What I think we will see is something like a 10 am, 3pm and 8pm start for games. Would be interesting if the afternoon game goes into a marathon OT, they have to do a bunch of ice maintenance, you could be looking at a very late game lol.

In the play-in round, I would imagine you see the early game being the teams on bye, as those games aren't as critical as the play-in games

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Something interesting about the 2 hub format is, there will have to be games played during the day, kinda like the MLB playoffs. Fortunately, the Flames-Jets would draw the most eyeballs of any series in the West, so it should be the prime time game. 

What I think we will see is something like a 10 am, 3pm and 8pm start for games. Would be interesting if the afternoon game goes into a marathon OT, they have to do a bunch of ice maintenance, you could be looking at a very late game lol.

In the play-in round, I would imagine you see the early game being the teams on bye, as those games aren't as critical as the play-in games

I think they will go the Chicago-Edmonton, I really don't know too many outside of Calgary and Winnipeg that would really care about that, same with the other series, but Chicago-Edmonton has the top players in the game and an original 6.  If I was betting it'd be that's the prime time matchup.  

Just now, sak22 said:

I think they will go the Chicago-Edmonton, I really don't know too many outside of Calgary and Winnipeg that would really care about that, same with the other series, but Chicago-Edmonton has the top players in the game and an original 6.  If I was betting it'd be that's the prime time matchup.  

You will most likely see the Flames and Oilers play on separate nights I would think

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

So in some earlier graphics, we saw the winner of Flames vs Jets play the Blues... But actually, sounds like the top four teams play a round robin for seeding.   Hopefully the Flames advance to the 2nd round and don't have to play the Blues.

If they play the Blues, they'd get a chance to see Pietrangalo first hand and possibly push harder to sign if they really like what they see. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

If they play the Blues, they'd get a chance to see Pietrangalo first hand and possibly push harder to sign if they really like what they see. 

Yes! Also a great opportunity to judge this group against a team that is 100% built for the playoffs

Archived