Geoff Ward, Flames 18 th coach

tmac70

It's only one game, so it will require a few more to properly assess,. But I don't think what Ward did should go unnoticed .

Like coaches before him , he publicly ripped his team, aimed it at the vets . Called out their effort , their desire ..

But unlike the ones before him he followed it up with some respect .

Music was back at practice , it wasn't a beating that continued ..  end result team was looser and they all played their best game in awhile .

That's the difference between bullying and tough love 

The difference between taking a beating and a parent telling you " I'm disappointed in you" 

Again I wanna see a few games in a row , but for one game anyway..he seems to have pushed their buttons 

This team tends to feel satisfied very easily. You can see it when they go up a goal in a game: every subsequent shift is half assed until the opposing team ties the game. Then there’s a little more effort. But god forbid the opposing team goes up 1 on us... then the game is out of hand and we don’t try to rally until about 2 minutes left in the 3rd. 👎🏻

They played well last night, but I’ll reserve praise until I see more. I also recognize that Ward simply reverted to BP lines for the most part. We’ll see how it goes moving forward.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

This team tends to feel satisfied very easily. You can see it when they go up a goal in a game: every subsequent shift is half assed until the opposing team ties the game. Then there’s a little more effort. But god forbid the opposing team goes up 1 on us... then the game is out of hand and we don’t try to rally until about 2 minutes left in the 3rd. 👎🏻

They played well last night, but I’ll reserve praise until I see more. I also recognize that Ward simply reverted to BP lines for the most part. We’ll see how it goes moving forward.  

It was like that for me in the Edmonton game, all the talk after with Loubardias and Wills was how they're back and how they've taken a step and grew immensely. For me, it was more, what do you do with it? What do you next? Can you maintain this play for a number of games. Can you find it after a game where that level of play has slipped away?

If this is the new NHL and what parity has created, then I don't know if this is the kind of hockey I want to watch. This up and down level of play isn't entertaining.

47 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

The coaching had little impact on the game.

There are adivision rival above the Flames in the standings.

Hated as much by some as the Oinkers.

Of course they were going to nring the game.

The only positive thing the coaches did was replay last year's winning top 6, with Mangiapane there for Frolik.

Ward went back to Lucic-Ryan-Dube, which previously had played well together.

Bennett-Janko-Rieder, which is 2/3 of last year's 3rd line.

The D after the loss of Hamonic was very concerning.

They did their job well enough, but everyone chipped in to help out.

I'm concerned about being able to beat a team if we don't get 4+ goals.

When Stone goes from 7th D to playing 24 minutes, I start holding my breath

I will be honest I have never been a fan of Boudreau, that being said there is no doubt that he is a very good coach.

With Gallant, Laviolette, Babcock and Boudreau all available, there is some elite coaches out there for Treliving to choose from. 

Gallant is still my first choice. Laviolette would be my second and Boudreau would be my third choice. I wouldn't bring Babcock here under any circumstances.

timing is pretty curious here. Wild are playing well and have had a decent season all things considered. I get Guerin would probably want his own guy, just don't get why he waited to do it. Maybe this is a throw in the towel type move. 

I'm not really a fan either and I don't think Boudrau is that good of a coach. Not sure I would rush to hire him over Ward to be honest and if it came down to it I might just keep Ward in place over Boudreau. Not an option I would be excited about or pursue if I were BT. 

I haven't been a huge fan of much that Ward has done but at the same time there are positives there and IMO enough positives that part of the decision may rest on going with the devil you know instead of the one you don't. Obviously I hope they can land a Gallant or Laviolette for example (ie a more veteran head coach) but I do think Ward is going to be in the mix. 

I can't see Ward being the coach next season. He was thrown into an extremely difficult situation, but right now he seems in over his skis.

Flames ownership needs to open up their wallet this summer... for once. They need Gallant or Lavy. Not a question. Both guys have success everywhere they go, they keep players accountable, but are fair. You have a new arena on the horizon, if you are an owner you can justify paying a quality coach 5mill a season.

That being said, we will probably end up with yet another lesser coach like a Mike Yeo. At least knowing how the Flames approach coaching hires

18 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I can't see Ward being the coach next season. He was thrown into an extremely difficult situation, but right now he seems in over his skis.

Flames ownership needs to open up their wallet this summer... for once. They need Gallant or Lavy. Not a question. Both guys have success everywhere they go, they keep players accountable, but are fair. You have a new arena on the horizon, if you are an owner you can justify paying a quality coach 5mill a season.

That being said, we will probably end up with yet another lesser coach like a Mike Yeo. At least knowing how the Flames approach coaching hires

He shouldn't be, but then you listed all of the reasons that he probably will be.lol

I'd sure like Gallant. Liked him as a player too.

Seems like the kind of guy that would laugh at Gaudreau for being pouty. "Don't get mad, get even".

JG needs to take on some leadership. He doesn't, and we don't need a star player being selfish and whiny.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

He shouldn't be, but then you listed all of the reasons that he probably will be.lol

Seems like the kind of guy that would laugh at Gaudreau for being pouty. "Don't get mad, get even".

JG needs to take on some leadership. He doesn't, and we don't need a star player being selfish and whiny.

Ward seems to make a big thing when JG makes a defensiev play.

WHy isn't he coaching him on how to disrupt offensive play?

Doesn't need to throw a hit, just need to understand how to cover a player.

He's mostly lost in the D-zone.

Ward says the team lacks identity.  So did BP.

Can you not mold them into a team?

Pick one thing and work on it.

Instead of having a bunch of tools with nothing to use them on, fit the tools to the project.

Define the project.

Each team is different, use the tools on the project.

You need a defensive line to handle a top line = use it that way.

You don't cover a McDavid line by playing run and gun.

I’m not a huge fan of ownership by any means but I do wonder about this whole “they won’t pay for coaches” idea. By all accounts Peters was well paid and I believe back in the day Sutter was well paid as well. They’ve also fired coaches quick and been fine paying 2 head coaches at a time. 

I think the bigger issue here is top coaches always have options and why is Calgary and the Flames going to be at the top of that list?

Owners have spent a lot of money on coaches and buyouts so I’m starting to believe it wouldn’t make sense for them to not want to pay coaches. 

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I’m not a huge fan of ownership by any means but I do wonder about this whole “they won’t pay for coaches” idea. By all accounts Peters was well paid and I believe back in the day Sutter was well paid as well. They’ve also fired coaches quick and been fine paying 2 head coaches at a time. 

I think the bigger issue here is top coaches always have options and why is Calgary and the Flames going to be at the top of that list?

Owners have spent a lot of money on coaches and buyouts so I’m starting to believe it wouldn’t make sense for them to not want to pay coaches. 

I get the sense that they are letting Ward continue the BP strategy of coaching and see where it takes us.

Almost like they think last year was what to expect from results.

Make the coaching search official after the season and consider everyone available with a mndset they want.

I get the sense sometimes that we don;t even consider some coaches available, not the other way around.

We don't want a Boudreau.

Trotz wasn't considered.

Maybe I'm wrong there, but I don't see a big time coach even wanted here.

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I get the sense that they are letting Ward continue the BP strategy of coaching and see where it takes us.

Make the coaching search official after the season and consider everyone available with a mndset they want.

I get the sense sometimes that we don;t even consider some coaches available, not the other way around.

Trotz wasn't considered.

You have to take into what style you want to play. IMHO Lavoleitte or Gallant are your best options, Boudreau is a defensive style guy and this club was designed to supposedly play fast. FFS yu can`t get them to buy into the style we are suppose to be playing now, Boudreu wouldn't even be heard. The first process would be retool, re hire a coach and recreate a better image, enough already with the excuses 

32 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

You have to take into what style you want to play. IMHO Lavoleitte or Gallant are your best options, Boudreau is a defensive style guy and this club was designed to supposedly play fast. FFS yu can`t get them to buy into the style we are suppose to be playing now, Boudreu wouldn't even be heard. The first process would be retool, re hire a coach and recreate a better image, enough already with the excuses 

What are we supposed to be?

I see no structure.

Hire a coach with a philosophy and build the team that way.

You don't need to rebuild until you know if you have the right pieces.

We have players assembled from other teams and were built here under different coaches.

And there is no approach that I can see to playing the game.

Strong possession?

Doesn;t work if you can't make a pass.

Strong D-zone?

I'm not seeing it.

Rush?

Nope?

Dump and chase?

Okay, that's our new game, which works for about 10% of the teams.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Trotz wasn't considered.

well Ward has completely changed the team so I’m not sure I agree they are letting him go because he would continue the Peters style. Ward and Peters have proven to be very different. 

Nothing to base this on other than my own opinion but I feel it’s more likely that the top end options don’t view Calgary as a favorable destination. If you can’t land a top guy you will need to do a search which is why I think he’s sticking with Ward. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

What are we supposed to be?

I see no structure.

Hire a coach with a philosophy and build the team that way.

You don't need to rebuild until you know if you have the right pieces.

We have players assembled from other teams and were built here under different coaches.

And there is no approach that I can see to playing the game.

Strong possession?

Doesn;t work if you can't make a pass.

Strong D-zone?

I'm not seeing it.

Rush?

Nope?

Dump and chase?

Okay, that's our new game, which works for about 10% of the teams.

I don’t know if it started with BP but I think he definitely got away from what was successful last year and the previous years. The team hasn’t looked this bad since Hartley.

the thing I thought the team did great was (mostly, but my thinking was because other teams were not asserting themselves on us) breaking out of the zone, and entering the opposite blue line. After that, it was mostly perimeter play with the exception of Monahan. I think it was why it was easy to shut them down. 

now we aren’t even that team. I didn’t see any of that play this year, even with BP. 

I don’t necessarily think it’s lack of size as Mangiapane seems to get to the dirty area, but the team still doesn’t get to the dirty areas yet. 

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

well Ward has completely changed the team so I’m not sure I agree they are letting him go because he would continue the Peters style. Ward and Peters have proven to be very different. 

Nothing to base this on other than my own opinion but I feel it’s more likely that the top end options don’t view Calgary as a favorable destination. If you can’t land a top guy you will need to do a search which is why I think he’s sticking with Ward. 

for me there’s a difference between this year's Peters and last year’s. And I think Ward is closer to this year’s. 

I liked the try of Lindholm as a C and he might’ve been our best C, but they should’ve kept Backlund as a C as well. 

what worries me is, they’re not even trying to develop Bennett into a PK or defensive player. He shows skill on a breakaway and they don’t use him in the SO either. Not saying he deserves it. But then he scored two last night and then Ward seemed to shut him down.

when JANKO started scoring Ward sits him over other players. The choices are baffling. 

until Lucic got his 5 in two games he wasn’t showing any signs of breaking out but they remain loyal to his PP time. 

then the shuffling of lines and not sticking to any... as you can tell I am frustrated.

i think it’s amazing that the team is in this spot. The coaching itself is horrendous, and I think even without the drama the signs pointed to this team being where they are regardless.

its a weird mix of players and personalities.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

That’s my conclusion as well. I also try to put myself in those coaches’ shoes - would I rush into a job with a new team when the trade deadline is looming? I think I’d rather wait and see what each team does at the deadline before determining where I go. Chances are I’d be most interested coaching the team that gave me the best opportunity to be successful for this playoffs and beyond. I’d need to know “what’s the plan?”, “are you going to rebuild anytime soon?”, “What players are you targeting now, and who do you still expect to be on this team 5 years from now?”

Good coaches have earned the ability to ask those questions and choose where they coach. Lavi and Gallant I imagine are among them. 

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

100% agree. 

I don’t mean to be harsh but I honestly can’t wait for the “Flames 19th head coach” thread

16 hours ago, robrob74 said:

for me there’s a difference between this year's Peters and last year’s. And I think Ward is closer to this year’s. 

I liked the try of Lindholm as a C and he might’ve been our best C, but they should’ve kept Backlund as a C as well. 

what worries me is, they’re not even trying to develop Bennett into a PK or defensive player. He shows skill on a breakaway and they don’t use him in the SO either. Not saying he deserves it. But then he scored two last night and then Ward seemed to shut him down.

when JANKO started scoring Ward sits him over other players. The choices are baffling. 

until Lucic got his 5 in two games he wasn’t showing any signs of breaking out but they remain loyal to his PP time. 

then the shuffling of lines and not sticking to any... as you can tell I am frustrated.

i think it’s amazing that the team is in this spot. The coaching itself is horrendous, and I think even without the drama the signs pointed to this team being where they are regardless.

its a weird mix of players and personalities.

With all that has gone on this season the flames should reallh be in a lottery pick. The fact that they are not speaks to the fact that while we have many things to critique this, at its core, is a very talented team. 

It’s why although I understand there are faults and critiques, Treliving has generally done a pretty good job building up this organization. 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

With all that has gone on this season the flames should reallh be in a lottery pick. The fact that they are not speaks to the fact that while we have many things to critique this, at its core, is a very talented team. 

It’s why although I understand there are faults and critiques, Treliving has generally done a pretty good job building up this organization. 

Agreed ..

I think today's game will tell us a lot.. we just got embarrassed at home , and the team coming in is coming fresh off us embarrassing them in their own barn.. they're coming in pumped to do the same to us .

This will say a lot about the players , but also of the prep the coaches put in drilling that into their heads 

On 2/2/2020 at 9:33 PM, lou44291 said:

Well said tmac. Well said indeed. 

I second this one.  The league is bigger, faster on the same small ice.  If you dont have grit and heart its not happening and at the same time you need the speed skill as well.  I am ok with our goalies as I like their compete, despite a bit of a let down recently but we need more grit up front preferably on the right side and I would be trying to add a big physical stay at home D on the back end.  Thats what Brad Macrimmon brought to the team.

As I have said before, I would serve up Backlund, a young D and perhaps even our pick if the right guys were available.

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Agreed ..

I think today's game will tell us a lot.. we just got embarrassed at home , and the team coming in is coming fresh off us embarrassing them in their own barn.. they're coming in pumped to do the same to us .

This will say a lot about the players , but also of the prep the coaches put in drilling that into their heads 

I don't think todays game will tell us anything.

A win doesn't prove anything.

Anaheim played yesterday.

They have had trouble scoring all year.

A loss against Miller would not surprise me, regardless of how many shots we get on him.

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think todays game will tell us anything.

A win doesn't prove anything.

Anaheim played yesterday.

They have had trouble scoring all year.

A loss against Miller would not surprise me, regardless of how many shots we get on him.

Full of enthusiasm like the rest of us, I see. lol

Should win, so what will go wrong?

My guess is they make Miller look like he's in his prime.

Happy to be wrong, of course.

We're at 61 here. Is this team any good?