Adam Lowry Suspended

The_Tribal Chief

It is very interesting to see what the Flames use as drafting criteria now compared to 10 years ago. There has been a massive shift. We all had issues when Sutter traded away most picks, and most picks that were drafted were all about size and grit. Even with all the talk of Truculence, there was very little drafted. Now the Flames have gone in the opposite direction and focus solely on offensive talent and skill. 

Who knows what players will turn out and which won't. There are many first rounders nowadays who do little, if anything in the NHL. Time will tell if the Flames draft pendulum will swing again.

4 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

It is very interesting to see what the Flames use as drafting criteria now compared to 10 years ago. There has been a massive shift. We all had issues when Sutter traded away most picks, and most picks that were drafted were all about size and grit. Even with all the talk of Truculence, there was very little drafted. Now the Flames have gone in the opposite direction and focus solely on offensive talent and skill. 

Who knows what players will turn out and which won't. There are many first rounders nowadays who do little, if anything in the NHL. Time will tell if the Flames draft pendulum will swing again.

I find it odd too that they focus on skill now (which is good), yet even they the rhetoric has been to remain truculent, it’s not showing in their draft philosophy.

our first rounder has grit, but so did Mange and Dube. They just bounce off guys. They have bite, but not enough to make a huge difference in that way. I like their feisty natures but would like it with a few more inches and Braun

14 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I find it odd too that they focus on skill now (which is good), yet even they the rhetoric has been to remain truculent, it’s not showing in their draft philosophy.

our first rounder has grit, but so did Mange and Dube. They just bounce off guys. They have bite, but not enough to make a huge difference in that way. I like their feisty natures but would like it with a few more inches and Braun

We draft those gritty guys every year, but most of them turn into nothing.

I'll list a few names drafted in later rounds.  See if you can name any time they have played in the NHL?

Austin Carroll

Adam Ollas-Mattsson (D)

Eetu Tuulola

D'Artagnan Joly

Zach Fischer

Martin Pospisil

All of these guys have grit, and only Tuulola and Pospisil remain active.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The problem is that our best players (prospects) are not that big.

Dube, Phillips, Pelltier....

We draft according to some standard we have, so Lavoie wasn;t considered.

Not that he's great, just that he has a nastier streak than Pelltier.

That's just an example, because I do like th 1st rounder this year.

Look at the prospect doing the best in the CHL; Zavgorodny.

Scoiring at a pace of almost 2 p/gp.

Yeah he's playing with Lefrenier, but he's also got 12 goals himself in 16 games.

My point is we have trouble identifying good bigger players.

No problem with the guys less than 5'11".

ya, I feel similarly. You can definitely see a shift. 

are we trying to find more Johnnys? Or is it just a philosophical difference? The league is fast, are we keeping up? 

I think we have fast players. 

Just now, travel_dude said:

We draft those gritty guys every year, but most of them turn into nothing.

I'll list a few names drafted in later rounds.  See if you can name any time they have played in the NHL?

Austin Carroll

Adam Ollas-Mattsson (D)

Eetu Tuulola

D'Artagnan Joly

Zach Fischer

Martin Pospisil

All of these guys have grit, and only Tuulola and Pospisil remain active.

Carroll had a game or two to end the year early in the rebuild. That’s it!

pospisil is still pretty young so he could... I don’t know about the others, whether they’ll see any NHL games.

its hard when I see other NHL teams having more degrees of success at finding those players. I really don’t think it is as easy as some suggest to find bottom six guys that do what Flames management want them to do in that role. 

to bring it back to Lowry, we will always have guys trying to push the limits against our smaller guys as there are only so many on our team whom are able to respond in kind. Lucic being one... it isn’t like there are many bigger skilled guys in our lineup who have a mean streak. I don’t necessarily think We don’t lack passion, as much as we lack a certain kind of passion, or should I say aggression?

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

pospisil is still pretty young so he could... I don’t know about the others, whether they’ll see any NHL games.

its hard when I see other NHL teams having more degrees of success at finding those players. I really don’t think it is as easy as some suggest to find bottom six guys that do what Flames management want them to do in that role. 

to bring it back to Lowry, we will always have guys trying to push the limits against our smaller guys as there are only so many on our team whom are able to respond in kind. Lucic being one... it isn’t like there are many bigger skilled guys in our lineup who have a mean streak. I don’t necessarily think We don’t lack passion, as much as we lack a certain kind of passion, or should I say aggression?

That aggression is all well and good until the penalty parade happens, and it doesn't seem to matter if the offense is blatant, questionable or imaginary.

2 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

That aggression is all well and good until the penalty parade happens, and it doesn't seem to matter if the offense is blatant, questionable or imaginary.

I get you! But it is weird when the other team is allowed to do whatever they want. They’re allowed to play aggressively and play on the edge. It’s a lose lose because we need to have a bit of an answer to their play. And if they’re not getting called, it isn’t the PP where you do the answering.

But then again I find those times that officials seem to call the borderline ones Or ones that are called on us but not the other team are times when our team isn’t skating or creating. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I find the small players like Johnny will have better success against the goons, because they have dealt with that type all their lives.

Guys like Dube are more likely to get hurt or get crushed.

Because they were average size in junior they tend to get hurt more in pros.

Lowry did it again.

So we must talk about this.  Lucic presumable never challenged Lowry to a fight to answer for his hit on Kylington.   Fast forward to today, Lowry KO's Alex Tuch on a similarly looking hit.  Ryan Reaves fights Lowry in response. 

Should Lucic have fought Lowry?      

Does Reaves send a message while Lucic didn't?

Was it because Kylington wasn't injured so it's not as serious?

Was it because Kylington isn't a "star" player so Lucic should save himself to protect a bigger name like Gaudreau?

Does Lucic sucker-punching Kole Sherwood send a message that nobody can run our goalie?

Do the VGK simply have better team unity and the Flames don't fight for one another?

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Lowry did it again.

So we must talk about this.  Lucic presumable never challenged Lowry to a fight to answer for his hit on Kylington.   Fast forward to today, Lowry KO's Alex Tuch on a similarly looking hit.  Ryan Reaves fights Lowry in response. 

Was it because Kylington isn't a "star" player so Lucic should save himself to protect a bigger name like Gaudreau?

Does Lucic sucker-punching Kole Sherwood send a message that nobody can run our goalie?

Do the VGK simply have better team unity and the Flames don't fight for one another?

It's because the period was over imo. Nothing more. Was that Reaves' first faceoff of his career? lol

The hit I thought was clean, just that Lowry's so big it's like running into a cement truck. Tuch is not going to have much of a career due to high risk/being unaware. The league's getting faster with small players, but at what point do you cut big skilled players some slack? Can even see Lowry looking like, "oh ffs". I like Lowry, although the Kyl hit was bonehead.

I remember wanting the Flames to get Sherwood. He's skilled and pesky. But I think young players need to be taught to pay attention to who's on the ice.

It's funny Rittich mentioned how he got slashed in the nuts, no call. Then, Sherwood does that and gets decked, Rittich pitches a shutout.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Lowry did it again.

To throw another stick on that fire, because it was a showcased outdoor game maybe teams were encouraged not to do anything pre meditated like that.

53 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It's because the period was over imo. Nothing more. Was that Reaves' first faceoff of his career? lol

The hit I thought was clean, just that Lowry's so big it's like running into a cement truck. Tuch is not going to have much of a career due to high risk/being unaware. The league's getting faster with small players, but at what point do you cut big skilled players some slack? Can even see Lowry looking like, "oh ffs". I like Lowry, although the Kyl hit was bonehead.

I remember wanting the Flames to get Sherwood. He's skilled and pesky. But I think young players need to be taught to pay attention to who's on the ice.

It's funny Rittich mentioned how he got slashed in the nuts, no call. Then, Sherwood does that and gets decked, Rittich pitches a shutout.

Lucic did what we wanted him to do.

And what he did gets suspended maybe 1/1000 times.

Lucic looked at his list of who was doing things that were close to the edge and thought "enough is enough".

The hit on Kylington early on.

Rittich thinking he was slashed earlier in the game.

This "after the whistle" sruff.

Okay kid, time to learn the code.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

The hit I thought was clean, just that Lowry's so big it's like running into a cement truck. Tuch is not going to have much of a career due to high risk/being unaware. 

I like Lowry, although the Kyl hit was bonehead.

But that's the thing.  The Kyl hit was worse so the response should have been bigger, right?  It's arguable the Tuch hit was fully legal and Lowry still was made to answer.  Meanwhile, we just let others hit our players from behind... 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

But that's the thing.  The Kyl hit was worse so the response should have been bigger, right?  It's arguable the Tuch hit was fully legal and Lowry still was made to answer.  Meanwhile, we just let others hit our players from behind... 

If you watch the replay after the hit, you see Ras crosschecking him in the back 3-4 times (and getting away with it).

The other thing is there was no time that Lucic got on the ice where they lined up Lowry (last change).

The refs should have called 5 and a game as it was.

But the Jets knew Lucic would be coming for him, so they didn't allow it to happen.

On 11/3/2019 at 6:16 AM, stubblejumper1 said:

I don't think that was a sucker punch on Sherwood.  He was poking at the goalie and should expect to be challenged.  He has to ready in that situation.  I think he took a dive trying to draw a penalty. 

I agree. I think that every player with a glove in the face after poking the goalie, the swinging player needs to at least get a penalty. This should set a precedent. I don’t think so, but I feel the Flames players take just as much punishment whenever they’re in that situation. So if there’s a clear punch in the face... 

I just feel that LUCIC skated a ways to get at him. I don’t think 2 games was warranted. But maybe a fine or one game at most.

quite frankly I am tired of double standard reffing. 

Archived