2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I wonder how that makes Jankowski feel.  No one wants Rieder for free but he's going to play over Jankowski.

Very strange.

BP does tend to stick with a lineup if they win or the team plays well.

Janko has to be part of some trade to keep him off the ice like this.

Quine is no better a player, just that he has some elements of his game that work in the NHL.

I felt Quine was invisible in Regina.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I wonder how that makes Jankowski feel.  No one wants Rieder for free but he's going to play over Jankowski.

Let's face it, if Jankowski has no more than the soft vanilla game he plays, why keep him at C? Tweener and really always has been. Move him to wing and see if it makes a difference.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Let's face it, if Jankowski has no more than the soft vanilla game he plays, why keep him at C? Tweener and really always has been. Move him to wing and see if it makes a difference.

I have been hoping they would do exactly just that.

Try him with Backlund or Bennett or Monahan.

Doesn't matter which wing he plays.

He's better at some at faceoffs, but that doesn't men he always knows how to play a given situation.

He's been struggling in the D-zone, so maybe having someone with better defensive responsibility makes more sense.

He's not going to drive offense.

At best, he's a complementary player.

If he added some jam to his game, he might get more games in.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

yeah, I think wingers have to be engaged in different ways. Maybe having him at wing will light a fire in him that doesn’t come out as a C. It’s like he is thinking the game too much. Maybe the W will allow him to just play? 

I’m off these line combos and I think you need to put Gaudreau and Monahan back together but try something new. 

Gaudreau- Mony - Mangiapane 

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Bennett. 
Lucic- Backlund - Frolik 

Janko - Ryan - Reider/Quine

the flames need to get some speed with Johnny. Teams are giving him the blue line and taking away space after. Get some wheels and some tenacity on the far wing that can go win those dump ins. 

I think it's time to get some young guys up here, and give this team some youthful exuberance.

Quine and Reider are fine players and have some speed and some work ethic, but they aren't going to give you much else. Let's start auditioning some young players.

If Dube is healthy he should be up here, the reason they sent him down is because they didn't want to play him on the 4th line, now there is a lot of space in the top 9 for him.

I really liked what I saw from Gawdin in training camp and he is off to a great start in Stockton. I would like to see what he can do.

Heck let's get a look at Phillips, he lacks size, but he is quick and tenacious and his hungry for the puck when he gets on the ice.

Bring some young guys up and let's let their hunger for pucks and playing time bleed through the lineup.

29 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think it's time to get some young guys up here, and give this team some youthful exuberance.

Quine and Reider are fine players and have some speed and some work ethic, but they aren't going to give you much else. Let's start auditioning some young players.

If Dube is healthy he should be up here, the reason they sent him down is because they didn't want to play him on the 4th line, now there is a lot of space in the top 9 for him.

I really liked what I saw from Gawdin in training camp and he is off to a great start in Stockton. I would like to see what he can do.

Heck let's get a look at Phillips, he lacks size, but he is quick and tenacious and his hungry for the puck when he gets on the ice.

Bring some young guys up and let's let their hunger for pucks and playing time bleed through the lineup.

Considering that the "marinate in the AHL" model hasn't really been a success for the Flames, I am inclined to forsake that in favor if giving guys a chance while they are playing good.  Gawdin would actually be my first choice, followed by Phillips.  Play them in the position they fit.  Top 6, bottom 6 whatever.

Tkachuk-Lindy-JH

Mangiapane-Monahan-Phillips

Bennett-Backlund-Gawdin

Lucic-Ryan-Frolik

How is that any worse?  Phillips is Johnny-esque but has a better shot and goes to the dirty areas.  Mangiapane has been a play driver.

Bennet with Backlund and Gawdin.  Responsible and some finesse.

Lucic playing a more reasonable 10-12 minutes at the most.  Frolik helps the line with D-zone coverage. 

Monahan got buried with Bennett and Quine last game.

He needs playmakers and finishers.

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Considering that the "marinate in the AHL" model hasn't really been a success for the Flames, I am inclined to forsake that in favor if giving guys a chance while they are playing good.  Gawdin would actually be my first choice, followed by Phillips.  Play them in the position they fit.  Top 6, bottom 6 whatever.

Tkachuk-Lindy-JH

Mangiapane-Monahan-Phillips

Bennett-Backlund-Gawdin

Lucic-Ryan-Frolik

How is that any worse?  Phillips is Johnny-esque but has a better shot and goes to the dirty areas.  Mangiapane has been a play driver.

Bennet with Backlund and Gawdin.  Responsible and some finesse.

Lucic playing a more reasonable 10-12 minutes at the most.  Frolik helps the line with D-zone coverage. 

Monahan got buried with Bennett and Quine last game.

He needs playmakers and finishers.

Looks good let's make it happen. I will say this though, if they do bring up the young guys, they need to come up ready to take someone's job, it can't be a situation where they come up and just try to fit in and not make mistakes. They need to play with energy and be aggressive and try and stay in the NHL.

17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Looks good let's make it happen. I will say this though, if they do bring up the young guys, they need to come up ready to take someone's job, it can't be a situation where they come up and just try to fit in and not make mistakes. They need to play with energy and be aggressive and try and stay in the NHL.

Exactly.

Right now, we have guys playing in spots because that's what the coach sees as being a fit.

Really he's just created 2 lines that have been fairly consistent and plugged in the rest of them.

Monahan is in need of a high energy player that can pass and shoot.

Bennett is more of a crash/bang player and Quine is one good rush per game.

Lucic is okay, but is that the best use of a guy that doesn't have much speed?

Gawdin does tend to play it a little safe, but he also has some smarts.

Phillips doesn't care who is playing and will go to the net.

He may not succed, but let's see a few games of him trying.

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Davidson has 10 points in 10 games with Stockton.

I don't have a problem with the roster decision, as it will benefit both players.

Kylington has struggled at times and could use from risk free development.

What I don't agree is that the message is that Kylington was the issue.

It makes sense for Ras to have a vet to play with, but Hamonic is as much the issue.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't have a problem with the roster decision, as it will benefit both players.

Kylington has struggled at times and could use from risk free development.

What I don't agree is that the message is that Kylington was the issue.

It makes sense for Ras to have a vet to play with, but Hamonic is as much the issue.

If Peters feels he can play Davidson more than the 13mins a night Kylington was playing, than that helps limit the ice time of guys that are struggling like Brodie and Hamonic.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

If Peters feels he can play Davidson more than the 13mins a night Kylington was playing, than that helps limit the ice time of guys that are struggling like Brodie and Hamonic.

Unless I am missing the boat, he's already moved Ras to play with Hanifin.

By the looks of it, Gio-Hamonic and Brodie-Stone is the pairings, which makes no sense.

Stone is less capable of playing 13 minutes than Davidson or Kylington.

Davidson is not expected to play tonight, so that's a bizarre decision to send down Kylington and recall Davidson today.

I think this is pretty clearly a message to Kylington, and not in a harsh way. I thought he struggled early in this season, then his game leveled out there for a bit but he's had a tough go of it these last few games. Just back to mistake prone hockey, poor reads and I thought he really struggled against Arizona. I don't mind the timing to get him to play some more in the A and get him back focusing on the finer points of his game. That combined with how frustrated Peters is with the lack of details and i completely get why Stone comes in and Kylington out. I also personally like the new defensive pairings and think you want to give them a little while to work out and you don't want Kylington sitting. My bet is Kylington is back up again this season. 

Edit: a little more context to the decision

I would have to decline on both Petan and Marincin. Marincin at 27 is a career tweener for NHL and AHL. He just hasn't been able to make a quality jump to the bigs. Petan at 24 has not really shown anything in the NHL either. He may have the natural talent but at 5'9, 175 he is another small player. In 118 NHL games he has 6 goals and 25 points with a -18 and 32 penalty minutes. Ryan, who is similar size, had 13 goals and 38 points in 81 games last season alone with a +21. Mange who makes similar cost, is similar size, has 11 goals, 19 points and a +10 in 70 games. If we extrapolate to 118 games, Mange is on track for 32 points and he is a year younger than Petan. Even Czarnik has better stats than Petan at similar size.

People are already complaining about the small Flames, so why add an even smaller one who has less success and is less balanced than those we already have. Unless Petan brings something to the Flames that the other 3 don't, I see no point getting him. If we want more physicality and not worried about offence, we already have Lomberg in the system.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I think this is pretty clearly a message to Kylington, and not in a harsh way. I thought he struggled early in this season, then his game leveled out there for a bit but he's had a tough go of it these last few games. Just back to mistake prone hockey, poor reads and I thought he really struggled against Arizona. I don't mind the timing to get him to play some more in the A and get him back focusing on the finer points of his game. That combined with how frustrated Peters is with the lack of details and i completely get why Stone comes in and Kylington out. I also personally like the new defensive pairings and think you want to give them a little while to work out and you don't want Kylington sitting. My bet is Kylington is back up again this season. 

I saw that and thought it was weird.

But Gio and Hamonic are killing most of the peanlties and it's not good to rely on just those two.

I thought ARI was Kyl's worst game in a long time, but then again he wasn't alone.

Everyone except maybe Hanifin and Ras were making poor attempts.

Brodie got kicked off the PP after he tried to backhanded the puck across the ice leaving the D-zone.

There was zero reason to do it and it negated the rest of the PP.

Killing penalties should help im focus more on the defensive side of the game.

It's really the only part he struggles in (IMHO).

I don't have interest in Petan. I think he is a tweener, great in the AHL but I don't think he'll find a role in the NHL and I don't see where the Flames would play him.

I like Maracin and in many cases would love to put a claim in. However, based on cap and roster construction i don't think it would work. I really like him as a 3rd pairing/7th dman though. he's boring but pretty solid defensively. 

37 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

I would have to decline on both Petan and Marincin. Marincin at 27 is a career tweener for NHL and AHL. He just hasn't been able to make a quality jump to the bigs. Petan at 24 has not really shown anything in the NHL either. He may have the natural talent but at 5'9, 175 he is another small player. In 118 NHL games he has 6 goals and 25 points with a -18 and 32 penalty minutes. Ryan, who is similar size, had 13 goals and 38 points in 81 games last season alone with a +21. Mange who makes similar cost, is similar size, has 11 goals, 19 points and a +10 in 70 games. If we extrapolate to 118 games, Mange is on track for 32 points and he is a year younger than Petan. Even Czarnik has better stats than Petan at similar size.

People are already complaining about the small Flames, so why add an even smaller one who has less success and is less balanced than those we already have. Unless Petan brings something to the Flames that the other 3 don't, I see no point getting him. If we want more physicality and not worried about offence, we already have Lomberg in the system.

That's my preach too. Our best F prospects are small. We don't need more of them.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

That's my preach too. Our best F prospects are small. We don't need more of them.

Hear ya conundrumed...   There are some exceptions to the rule...   I still think the Theo Fleury was one of the best smaller players that could play "big" that I have ever seen, he knew no fear...  Johnny Gaudreau no doubt adapted his game at a younger age and is quite  good at not getting steamrolled...    Same for Martin St. Louis and a few others, but they are the exceptions...   That said, it is hard to think of a successful team in recent times that has had quite a few smaller players on the roster all at the same time...

1 hour ago, Carty said:

Hear ya conundrumed...   There are some exceptions to the rule...   I still think the Theo Fleury was one of the best smaller players that could play "big" that I have ever seen, he knew no fear...  Johnny Gaudreau no doubt adapted his game at a younger age and is quite  good at not getting steamrolled...    Same for Martin St. Louis and a few others, but they are the exceptions...   That said, it is hard to think of a successful team in recent times that has had quite a few smaller players on the roster all at the same time...

What JH needs to do is work on leg strength.

He's never going to have much upper body strength, which is odd because his dad is built like Ras Andersson.

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

it sounds great! I think it is something they should’ve been doing since last year! It’s great to experience the speed the NHL plays at but there is benefit of playing in all situations or in Situations you want them to play in in the NHL.

Might be time to put this guys on waivers. If we lose him, we clear $1.6m off the cap, if he clears we clear $1.025m off the cap, minus the amount of the player we recall.

He has been really bad and it's been hard to watch. 

I was a Jankowski supporter after his draft and coming out of college, but it is getting really hard to support the player.

Archived