2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

45 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

My feelings towards this year's version of the Flames is tepid right now.

No idea of what the final roster looks like, nor the lines and pairings.

It makes a difference.

I hear ya.  I feel the same.  Our lines look like a mess.  We need to get RWs badly.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think changes are coming so making predictions at this point is a pointless exercise but it's still fun to see what others are saying even though I think there are changes coming not just for the Flames but other teams as well. Still lots of time in the off-season. 

But the Flames are a good team I don't think there is any question there. 

21 hours ago, The_People1 said:

This is worth a watch.  The Hockey Guy is a youtuber who quite literally does his own hockey analysis from his basement.  I believe he lives in the Vancouver area and is a Canucks fan but follows the NHL closely.  He's by no means a Flames expert which, is a breathe of fresh air sometimes.  Here's what "someone else" thinks of us this season,

I quite enjoyed the analysis from the outside as it were. He is better than a lot of the commentators I listen to on TV.

13 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I quite enjoyed the analysis from the outside as it were. He is better than a lot of the commentators I listen to on TV.

TV is dying though.

A guy on youtube can make his segment as long or short as he needs to get his point across.  Guys on TV have to either condense material or make up fluff to fill air time.  I wish there was a "Joe Rogan of Hockey"... like a Bob McCown but do it on youtube free from network pressures and such.  

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Except Frolik needs to go to free cap for Tkachuk and Mangiapane to be signed.  So, make your lines without Frolik.

That's a big assumption.  My assumption is the Giordano "cap" is maintained and Tkachuk signs a 2-3 year deal for under $7mm per, or at the worst, $7.5mm.  Mangiapanne at ~$950,000 and voila, no need to trade Frolik.  Even with Frolik gone, Dube/Jankowski/Bennett can fill the hole with little loss overall so I'm still seeing a similar team to last year. The biggest challenge they will face is a potential for significant injury to 2-3 of their key players, which would serve a severe hit to overall performance.  

2 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

That's a big assumption.  My assumption is the Giordano "cap" is maintained and Tkachuk signs a 2-3 year deal for under $7mm per, or at the worst, $7.5mm.  Mangiapanne at ~$950,000 and voila, no need to trade Frolik.  Even with Frolik gone, Dube/Jankowski/Bennett can fill the hole with little loss overall so I'm still seeing a similar team to last year. The biggest challenge they will face is a potential for significant injury to 2-3 of their key players, which would serve a severe hit to overall performance.  

Assuming that Tkachuk will take less than $7m is a big reach.

The Gio cap was only reasonable when is accounded for 9% of the cap and no big deals had been signed.

Monahan, Ehlers, McKinnon, Gaudreau etc all signing for reasonable prices. 

Two years bumps his next contract into Ras, Kylington, Brodie (if here) and Hamonic.

Three years bumps into Gaudreau.

If you can lock him up to span the big re-signings, then you do it.

Today's dollar figures at future cap and salary demands.

Today, Gaudreau seems like such a bargain.

If you were paying him today, it would cost 10m. 

10 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

That's not a big assumption.  That's the mainstream view.

Also, the whole episode with Frolik's agent spells a bad relationship between Frolik and Peters and it's best to part ways.  Free the cap to sign Tkachuk to bigger money but a longer term.

Well, we shall all see, hopefully before the season starts.  If it drags on into the season I believe the league would be best served by having several of these RFAs sit for the whole year.  The system is out of whack again due to a few GMs, and although every player has the right to make their demands, and they are trying to take advantage, I don't believe its in the teams' best interests and ultimately, this is a team game.  If Tkachuk is dead set on his demands ahead of the team welfare I'd back letting him sit or seeing about trading him away, for a great price.  If Tkachuk signs for 2-3 years he can help the team now, in its current window, and still more than make up any "loss" in his next contract when he can establish a new "Tkachuk internal cap", assuming Gaudreau will be gone back East.  There has to be give and take on both sides.....  

I was thinking about this yesterday and wondering if the elder Tkachuk has any change of heart about his own holdouts with St Louis, after finally seeing St Louis win it all in June?  Its great to get the millions, but at what cost?  After you've set aside $15-20mm, wouldn't you think a player might want to focus more on winning it all?  Just me, but you really have to wonder about some of these guys.  

I think the whole Frolik and his agent thing is overblown. It was 2 instances,one early in the year after frolik had a so so effort and later in the year frolik played and was deployed how you would expect.

Frolik may be traded because he’s a luxury but I don’t think his agent or those tweets will factor in 

35 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

If Tkachuk signs for 2-3 years he can help the team now, in its current window, and still more than make up any "loss" in his next contract 

That's the thing.  If he's strapped with Backlund + Frolik, then he'd be smart to cash in now.  He won't have the numbers to cash in 2-3 years from now.  Give him a linemate who can score and sure, he could take less now.

Jusso Valimaki has injured himself and is out indefinitely... 

This is bad news. 

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/valimaki-injury-update/c-308504492

Calgary Flames general manager Brad Treliving announced today that during a training session this past weekend, defenceman Juuso Valimaki sustained a torn ACL injury to his right knee which will require surgery. Valimaki will be out indefinitely.

Love. 

28 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Jusso Valimaki has injured himself and is out indefinitely... 

This is bad news. 

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/valimaki-injury-update/c-308504492

Love. 

This is terrible news, Valimaki was pencilled in to start on the 3rd pairing, but I was confident he would have been a top 4 guy by the end of the year. 

This does open a spot for Kylington who probably wouldn't have been on the roster to start the season.

The issue is that Kylington really needs to be sheltered, and you have to watch who you pair him with.

So if we keep Brodie do we go with:

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Andersson

Kylington-Hamonic

Helps balance the pairings a bit more.

I also wonder if we go looking for a depth defenseman to sign, Ben Hutton perhaps.

47 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This is terrible news, Valimaki was pencilled in to start on the 3rd pairing, but I was confident he would have been a top 4 guy by the end of the year. 

This does open a spot for Kylington who probably wouldn't have been on the roster to start the season.

The issue is that Kylington really needs to be sheltered, and you have to watch who you pair him with.

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Andersson

Kylington-Hamonic

I also wonder if we go looking for a depth defenseman to sign, Ben Hutton perhaps.

I hope that Kylington can start to put on at least put a little bit of mass on his slim frame. 

I thought Hutton could be an interesting option before, but also wondered how he’d fit

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Andersson

Kylington-Hamonic

Giordano - Andersson

Hanifin - Hamonic

Brodie - PTO

1 hour ago, rickross said:

So about trading Brodie.....

Honestly, i would still trade Brodie.  He needs to go to give way to Andersson.  Plus, I doubt we get Tkachuk signed to under $6.5 at any term so we need the cap space.

Giordano - Andersson

Hanifin - Hamonic

Kylington - PTO/Yelesin

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Honestly, i would still trade Brodie.  He needs to go to give way to Andersson.  Plus, I doubt we get Tkachuk signed to under $6.5 at any term so we need the cap space.

Giordano - Andersson

Hanifin - Hamonic

Kylington - PTO/Yelesin

We are a bit shy on the RD side.

Brodie may still be part of a deal for a forward, but Frolik might just go for a cheaper than $4.3m RD.

BT said he is looking at trades to shore up the D.

So, deal Brodie and say Janko for a RW or C making less than $6m.

Trade Frolik for a RD making around $3m.

We can ease Yelesin in, after he's shown he's used to NA hockey.

In the meantime, we have a tradeable asset that can offset Kylington's inexperience.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

So about trading Hanifin... 

Honestly Hanifin is pretty tough to assess at this stage. He was prone to Brodie like gaffes last season. He’s not physical but he has good position. He’s not slow nor is he lightning fast. He’s just such a young D man with so much experience at his age...and at his cap hit!? What team wouldn’t want the kid?  He’s not my favourite but he’s so young u get the feeling he’s got room to grow still. BT locker him up to a sweet deal...trading Hanifin now would just be doing another team a big favor

23 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I hope that Kylington can start to put on at least put a little bit of mass on his slim frame. 

I thought Hutton could be an interesting option before, but also wondered how he’d fit

Where would you like to see the mass put on?

2lnjyqc.png

Archived