2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

3 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Well sure, but that issue was generated over a year ago and the Lucic deal improves on a bad situation.  It seems your problem with Lucic is not Lucic, but that it continues to remind you of a previous deal gone bad.  Speaking of Neal, as others have said, it seemed good at the time but unfortunately/fortunately for the team he got beat out for the spot he was signed for, which happens all the time.  So to bring this thing back to the beginning, I guess you would have been happier if Lindholm was never brought in and Neal was able to get that plum spot beside Gaudreau?  Or you'd rather a weaker team with poor depth-like the Oilers-so that Neal "fits" in a Top6 role and his salary makes more sense?

Not at all. I wish they tried Lindholm with other lines to spread the offence out more evenly so that when the playoffs came around the team was more whole instead of thrifty. 

The known was that Monahan and Gaudreau works with many options. They were dynamic until the ASB and then almost nothing since.

i believe that if they didn’t put all of their eggs in one basket it gives the rest of the team the ability to carry some of the weight. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Not at all. I wish they tried Lindholm with other lines to spread the offence out more evenly so that when the playoffs came around the team was more whole instead of thrifty. 

The known was that Monahan and Gaudreau works with many options. They were dynamic until the ASB and then almost nothing since.

i believe that if they didn’t put all of their eggs in one basket it gives the rest of the team the ability to carry some of the weight. 

When you look at Lindholm's numbers a lot of his points came from 2nd assists suggesting that Gaudreau and Monahan were the reason for his jump in drastic jump in points. I think if he moved to another line his point totals would probably end closer to career norm (mid 40's). 

The way I see it is he is a near perfect fit on the top, or at least he was last season, but on any other line he becomes a solid role player, similar to Frolik.

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I would say even if the Flames miss the playoffs this season, BT is not going anywhere.  Miss two straight, then that's a different story.

One bad buyout so far in Brouwer and he's turning a bad Neal signing into something more useful...

He had other buyouts. Mason Raymond. 

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

When you look at Lindholm's numbers a lot of his points came from 2nd assists suggesting that Gaudreau and Monahan were the reason for his jump in drastic jump in points. I think if he moved to another line his point totals would probably end closer to career norm (mid 40's). 

The way I see it is he is a near perfect fit on the top, or at least he was last season, but on any other line he becomes a solid role player, similar to Frolik.

I don’t mind that. Frolik dropped slightly this year and so Backlund kind of did too whereas his numbers could’ve stayed the same had it been Lindholm on the wing instead. 

I guess it gives the first line a defensive player so I can see that point. But the middle 6 was a wreck and probably wasted Tkachuk a bit too. 

40 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

I'm sure ownership looks at situations much differently than you think they do.

What part don't you get?

The owners make money in the playoffs that don't go to paying players.

They made the playoffs with ease last year.

The GM did his job to get there.

Missing that extra revenue by not making the playoffs will be the downfall.

The coach tends to wear a lot of the blame for a team that disappoints in the playoffs.

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What part don't you get?

The owners make money in the playoffs that don't go to paying players.

They made the playoffs with ease last year.

The GM did his job to get there.

Missing that extra revenue by not making the playoffs will be the downfall.

The coach tends to wear a lot of the blame for a team that disappoints in the playoffs.

What part don't you get that all your answers and reasoning for everything on this forum are not the correct ones. I happen to know some of the owners and people that know them as well so I don't need you telling me what they want or need when it comes to their team. Management is management and they will be judged by their failures and successes for the areas they are responsible for each season.

1 hour ago, GM_3300 said:

What part don't you get that all your answers and reasoning for everything on this forum are not the correct ones. I happen to know some of the owners and people that know them as well so I don't need you telling me what they want or need when it comes to their team. Management is management and they will be judged by their failures and successes for the areas they are responsible for each season.

I don't try to make myself sound like some kind of insider, MAC.  My opinions are based on logic and an understanding of the NHL.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't try to make myself sound like some kind of insider, MAC.  My opinions are based on logic and an understanding of the NHL.

Is that actually Mac? Or do they just have the same view on things?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Not always and I could care less about me or you being an insider. Your logic is out to lunch some days and I'm not sure what your understanding of the NHL actually is really.

3 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

Because of course they're going to divulge all of their insider business dealings with every Joeblo McRandon they know.

Supposed insider knowlege is not going to sway anyones opinion of your posts.

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Last year the ONLY option that worked was Lindholm w/Gaudreau.  Neal was so slow he was the trailer of the the trailer(Monahan) and it didn't work.  

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Because of course they're going to divulge all of their insider business dealings with every Joeblo McRandon they know.

Supposed insider knowlege is not going to sway anyones opinion of your posts.

I don't know who that is but we enjoy some good conversations. I'm not really concerned about thoughts on my posts. You don't like them or agree with them don't comment.

If Peters is going to experiment early in the season I would like to see them move Bennett back to C with Tkachuk. They have to remain conscious of keeping speed and skill with Monahan and Tkachuk. With this said I think we need at least one other skilled RW, preferably a RHS - RW good at some face offs like Lindholm. If the plan is to trade Frolik then they need two RWers which could leave our defense lacking within the forward ranks. I would say we ride with Frolik in 2019-20 by trading Brodie plus to land us what we need on RW rather than convert what we have out of position. I'm not sure what is out there but this is what I think Treliving should be trying to accomplish.

52 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

If Peters is going to experiment early in the season I would like to see them move Bennett back to C with Tkachuk. They have to remain conscious of keeping speed and skill with Monahan and Tkachuk. With this said I think we need at least one other skilled RW, preferably a RHS - RW good at some face offs like Lindholm. If the plan is to trade Frolik then they need two RWers which could leave our defense lacking within the forward ranks. I would say we ride with Frolik in 2019-20 by trading Brodie plus to land us what we need on RW rather than convert what we have out of position. I'm not sure what is out there but this is what I think Treliving should be trying to accomplish.

I would suggest and almost bet money Bennett will never see another regular slot as center for this team barring injury necessity 

First , Jankowski would have to be traded, and when he almost was it was for another center

Second , you gotta know BP would put Lindholm to center fiest since he has experience with it 

3rd - although he can play all 3 forward positions , Dube is a natural center and that's where the team has been grooming him in Stockton

Bennett at center was a dismal failure .. he just isn't a playmaker , but he does have great winger attributes .I think they have settled on him being what he was last year..but getting better offensively

54 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I would suggest and almost bet money Bennett will never see another regular slot as center for this team barring injury necessity 

First , Jankowski would have to be traded, and when he almost was it was for another center

Second , you gotta know BP would put Lindholm to center fiest since he has experience with it 

3rd - although he can play all 3 forward positions , Dube is a natural center and that's where the team has been grooming him in Stockton

Bennett at center was a dismal failure .. he just isn't a playmaker , but he does have great winger attributes .I think they have settled on him being what he was last year..but getting better offensively

Is Monahan a playmaker, is Backlund a true playmaker, is Jankowski a playmaker ? I think your logic is wrong and Bennett with a playmaker could be every bit as good as Monahan. Sometimes when you search and search for an answer it is staring you in the face all the time. I believe it is management and coaching decisions that have taken Bennett in the wrong direction however having watched his game elevate this past season I think he would do well with the challenge. He is our best puck carrier after Gaudreau for offensive zone entries and once in he can work with Tkachuk down low, with the right RW we could have another dynamic line. 

Just add to this thinking, Kadri who many would have been fine with is very similar to Bennett from a career path standpoint, early struggles for Kadri until he got matched up with better line mates. I think Bennett could do the same matched up with a player as dynamic as Tkachuk being the playmaker.

Treliving has to deal with Brodie, Frolik and Stone in some fashion to remove them from the 2019-20 roster. This statement seems to be the desire but will it be the reality.

I think eventually Frolik and Stone will be gone. Brodie will likely still be with us which won't be the worst thing. Here is how I see us lining up come the start of the season given no significant trade happening.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm

Tkachuk, Backlund, Bennett (somebody has to change sides)

Mangiapane, Ryan, Czarnik

Lucic, Jankowski, ????????

DEFENSE
Giordano, Brodie

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Andersson

GOALIES
Rittich, Talbot

Is this a SC team ?

I know BT is walking a salary cap tight-rope this summer, but I really think he needs to make at least one addition to the top 6. Probably a Brodie trade is the way to do it. If we can’t then we will be running out roughly the same lineup as last year only more expensive. If that happens I expect us to still be a playoff team, but not the best in the West. We had a lot of career years last season, some guys will regress from that which is why I would still like to see the team bolstered rather than going with pretty much the same team except Neal/Smith/Frolik 

14 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I know BT is walking a salary cap tight-rope this summer, but I really think he needs to make at least one addition to the top 6. Probably a Brodie trade is the way to do it. If we can’t then we will be running out roughly the same lineup as last year only more expensive. If that happens I expect us to still be a playoff team, but not the best in the West. We had a lot of career years last season, some guys will regress from that which is why I would still like to see the team bolstered rather than going with pretty much the same team except Neal/Smith/Frolik 

I don't get the sense that is going to happen using Brodie as opportunities are drying up for trade partners. The only trading partner I can think of is BUF, maybe try a deal for Reinhart RW using Brodie and Kylington. Let them find another deal for Ristolainen. Then Treliving can unload Frolik, Jankowski and Stone for whatever picks available or buyout Stone. Would be good to see some more moves that make sense.

5 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

Treliving has to deal with Brodie, Frolik and Stone in some fashion to remove them from the 2019-20 roster. This statement seems to be the desire but will it be the reality.

I think eventually Frolik and Stone will be gone. Brodie will likely still be with us which won't be the worst thing. Here is how I see us lining up come the start of the season given no significant trade happening.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm

Tkachuk, Backlund, Bennett (somebody has to change sides)

Mangiapane, Ryan, Czarnik

Lucic, Jankowski, ????????

DEFENSE
Giordano, Brodie

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Andersson

GOALIES
Rittich, Talbot

Is this a SC team ?

To answer your question, moving Brodie, Frolik and Stone should allow us to upgrade at either #3C or #2/#3 RW.  We would be wise to pick up cheaper depth RD to offset the loss of Brodie.  As it stands now, we have little AHL depth on D.

Czarnik still doesn't seem to be a full time RW.  He was used as much on LW as RW last season it seems.  Even then, he was pushed out of the lineup a lot.  If we could pick up a top 6 RW and a 3rd pair RD for Brodie and Frolik (seperate deals or a PTO), we could have better options for the 2nd and 3rd lines.  Bennett might be great with Monahan or Backlund, or maybe just getting rid of Neal and playing him with Mangiapane would solve his scoring issues.  Nice to have options that work.  We seemed to have no real 2nd look to the roster last year, a lot of that was due to Neal.  

As of today here's where I am at for our roster.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Lucic-Ryan-Bennett

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik

Quine

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Andersson

Stone

Rittich

Talbot

At least one move has to be made to fit everyone in. I think Frolik is the guy that gets moved, as there was just some weird stuff with his agent last year. I think Stone sticks around as we would need to acquire someone to fill his roster spot anyways. Brodie could be moved for an upgrade at center or right wing. Jankowski could used as an add on, which would pave the way for Dube to get a chance at center.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

At least one move has to be made to fit everyone in. I think Frolik is the guy that gets moved, as there was just some weird stuff with his agent last year. I think Stone sticks around as we would need to acquire someone to fill his roster spot anyways. Brodie could be moved for an upgrade at center or right wing. Jankowski could used as an add on, which would pave the way for Dube to get a chance at center.

I know this isn't a popular move, but buying out Stone and replacing hm with a cheap depth RHS D might be a better option.

Stone with Valimaki is a waste; Valimaki has to come back to defend even if he activates.

You could do Brodie and Janko for a Danault, Weal and Folin.

We don't save a lot on the cap (1.04m), but the savings from buying out Stone is 2.33m this year.

Archived