Mark Giordano

JTech780

I decided to start a new thread for Gio because I feel like he doesn't get enough love. I think he is probably one of, if not the, most underrated players in the league. You can use just about any metric or stat and Giordano year after year is among the elite in the league. The guy is 35 years old and is showing no signs of slowing down. 

He's not biggest, he's not the prettiest skater he just continues to get the job done. Not bad for going undrafted.

14 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I decided to start a new thread for Gio because I feel like he doesn't get enough love. I think he is probably one of, if not the, most underrated players in the league. You can use just about any metric or stat and Giordano year after year is among the elite in the league. The guy is 35 years old and is showing no signs of slowing down. 

He's not biggest, he's not the prettiest skater he just continues to get the job done. Not bad for going undrafted.

I luv the guy. He, covers everyone's missed assignments in the d-zone. Holds, the puck until the last second gets walloped from it. Gets, up and skates down the ice and scores a goal. Is, never injured. He's a beast bro. We, need one more d-man like him to take away his many responsibilities. The, only other d-man like him is Duncan Keith. Anyone know any other d-man that we could acquire like him? A lot younger though. Cam Fowler plays like him but I guess he's not good at d-fence.

Gio always seems to cover Monahans Hash Rate down low in the d-zone. A first line Center in my mind is Peter Forsberg. Battle low against bigger wingers and get the puck. Mony is instinctive and has a big hockey IQ but is a Double Spend. He's, 210 pounds but is scared to be physical. Stick check stuff to not be physical. Backs battles on the boards and knows his assignments. Sammy would be a good first liner cause he's fearless and doesn't make Gio cover his Hash Rate. Johnny is more physical then Mony. 4 surgeries for Mony at years end is beyond me.

Peters should put Sammy at 1st line Center for 10 games. Move unphyscical soft Mony to the 3rd line. Lolly gag through the slot waiting for the puck to squirt out while your line mates take a physical beating. Like Adam Oates and Jason Allison. 30 goals a year but your line mates pay the price to get Mony his 30 goals. 6'2" 210 pounds and a big scared Double Spend. Sick of it. He, might of had 3 surgeries at the end of last year, It, sure as hell wasn't from being physical though.

Love Gio. Hasn’t slowed down one bit in my eyes. Puts the jersey on, does what Gio has always done. So consistent, so professional, and does so much for others outside of hockey. Gio was a late bloomer in hockey. As BT would say, there’s low miles on his odometer. His fitness level is fantastic year after year. Age catches up to us all, but it’ll take a little while longer for our Gio - fortunately for us. 

I’ll also add that I have a son whose first name is Giordano - not necessarily named after our captain, however, anyone wanting to associate the two is fine by me. ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A part of me is really excited over Gio getting a Norris. As a guy who used to play defence, the Norris is a big deal to me. Gio deserves it not only for this year, he has really held up this team many years. He can quarterback a play, skate well, shoots hard, has a solid shot, and more importantly IMO, he has the ability to raise his game and signal to others that it is time for them to raise his game. I believe that when Gio is in the offensive zone and is determined to score, the other players acknowledge his leadership and ensure that they are on the same page. Few players possess that characteristic in the league. It is impressive and is indicative of true leadership.

My excitement, however, is whether there will be more interest in a player from a larger market. That is, Gio could conceivably actually win the trophy in real terms, but lose it to an inferior player due to marketing interests. Cynical yeah, but you know.

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think the voters will really be looking at age and body of work. At his current pace, he's gotta be a shoo-in.

Reilly and Burns can't be overlooked as their team's MVPs at D.

Gio's dominance this year should overcome with the, "where are they without him" argument.

Rielly could very well get the nod because....Toronto.  Burns and Karlsson would both get recognition before Gio because of the exposure in the ASG and all the media circus that happened before and after Karlsson joined the team.  The Flames know what Gio is all about and so do the other teams, but league officials will still do whats best for the "exposure of the league". The all star selections already proved that.

/not bitter <_<

2 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Rielly could very well get the nod because....Toronto.  Burns and Karlsson would both get recognition before Gio because of the exposure in the ASG and all the media circus that happened before and after Karlsson joined the team.  The Flames know what Gio is all about and so do the other teams, but league officials will still do whats best for the "exposure of the league". The all star selections already proved that.

/not bitter <_<

I dunno.

I think most see Reilly as a pure one dimensional offensive Dman so he needs to win the D scoring race by a fair margin.  Like 10-points.  That's to make up for the short falls on D.

Burns gets a lot of his points playing RW so that factors into the numbers.

Karlason had such a rough start that he needs to win the scoring race by a mile to make up for it.

Giordano on the other hand is seen as more consistent, all situational, best a Defending out of the other candidates, and if he posts good enough numbers, then I think he wins.  Like conundrumed said, the whole career body of work will factor in for some voters.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I dunno.

I think most see Reilly as a pure one dimensional offensive Dman so he needs to win the D scoring race by a fair margin.  Like 10-points.  That's to make up for the short falls on D.

Burns gets a lot of his points playing RW so that factors into the numbers.

Karlason had such a rough start that he needs to win the scoring race by a mile to make up for it.

Giordano on the other hand is seen as more consistent, all situational, best a Defending out of the other candidates, and if he posts good enough numbers, then I think he wins.  Like conundrumed said, the whole career body of work will factor in for some voters.

Yes logically we all know Gio is the most deserving, the stats back it up. But how often is logic actually factored in to the voting process?

2 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Yes logically we all know Gio is the most deserving, the stats back it up. But how often is logic actually factored in to the voting process?

I think that's overcome by everyone loving a feelgood story and the Flames becoming the darlings of the league.

24 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think that's overcome by everyone loving a feelgood story and the Flames becoming the darlings of the league.

I have to say the entire team's play seem elevated by players doing above and beyond efforts in the past. Giordano looks reborn and is hustling all over the place leading the charge along with Gaudreau. It's like they can taste it and the effects are fantastic to see.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

I have to say the entire team's play seem elevated by players doing above and beyond efforts in the past. Giordano looks reborn and is hustling all over the place leading the charge along with Gaudreau. It's like they can taste it and the effects are fantastic to see.

Lindholm and Rittich deserve a ton of credit too. Lindholm is some kinda player spreading his wings right now. Keeping the 1st line honest at D has been an overwhelming success due to him.

It's why Neal will never get that job.

The Brodano reuniting, Hamonic, Andersson have been excellent. Good showing from Valimaki prior to the injury, Kyl getting a chance to find out what it takes.

A ton of reasons, but the best thing to me, we're not done getting better. Just need to find our peak in time for playoffs.

Archived