Calgary Flames Expectations

Going4TheCup

21 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I expected the Flames to make the playoffs at the start of the season but I never thought they'd be 2nd overall.  It's been unreal.

Based on matchups, I do believe the Flames can get to the Finals and as long as we don't face TB, then there's a chance we win it all.

Remember in '04 we had to beat 3 Division winners to  eventually face the President Trophy winning TB in the Finals?

This season, COL is #17 overall and then if we beat them, then we could probably play VGK ranked #16 overall.   Let's not stop there because DAL ranked #15 is in fire and might be so lucky to be our Conference Finals opponent.  The road to the Finals may never be this easy ever again.

My hopes were simply that we would make the playoffs. I certainly cannot say that I predicted #2 in the league. Last season really shook my confidence in a few players I guess.

You have got into my head. I am not going to stop thinking about the fact that it was TB who stole it from us last time. Oh well, it will be out of there come August or so.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I'm just wondering but what are your expectations for next season for the Calgary Flames? Some people think they might not make the playoffs, I think GM Treliving will make some moves to improve the team and I think the Flames will be competing for the Division Title yet again!! :o

8 hours ago, Going4TheCup said:

I'm just wondering but what are your expectations for next season for the Calgary Flames? Some people think they might not make the playoffs, I think GM Treliving will make some moves to improve the team and I think the Flames will be competing for the Division Title yet again!! :o

Of course alot depends what the other division teams do but the team WILL make the playoffs. Won't be conference or even divisional champs but I think BT will make some but not major changes. BP will have learned more about  getting the lines right and getting the most of each one. The regular season wont be as successful but the playoff will be better.

9 hours ago, Going4TheCup said:

I was watching SportsNet this morning and they had a special section on the 1989 team with some of the team players saying they had a special group and thought they should have won 4 or 5 SCs but managed just 1. First and foremost you need a group of players that play for each other which means no tag-a-longs, everyone has to give max efforts each game out. I look back at that 1989 team and see talent but also a very high compete level and desire to win. Sometimes a team like this year's has to lose in order to gain those qualities together as a team.

• 3 months later...

A new season is coming soon and the Flames have not made huge changes other than Lucic and Talbot so I was wondering, What do you expect of the Calgary Flames this season? I expect them to be second in the Division and at least make it past the first round of the playoffs :D Should be an exciting season! GO FLAMES GO!

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Dont expect a lot of change for a team that just laid down the best season in like 30yrs.

The youth will be expected to grow and the core allowed to better their last years performance.

I expect 1st place in our division and 1st or 2nd in west.

I expect to be in a fight with Vegas for the Division. My bet is Vancouver is a wild card team this year, so I see us dropping a tad in points just be having a few teams to be slightly harder to play against. I just don't think we will be in a fight for 1st in the West. I think the team did well, but we will see if the coaching staff learned anything from how the year ended. I don't see that right now, and lines are basically the same with a few in and a few out. But I think the team is deep, just that the coaches aren't playing to the strengths of how deep the team actually is. They are making the team too top heavy in the top6 and not trying a few things to help make it a stronger top9. 

I expect us to be in the 4/5 range in the conference. I think that a lot of last year a lot fell easy on us, and it's going to be a bit tougher to play teams who will now be up for us throughout the whole year. I don't think teams took the flames serious enough until the 2nd half. Albeit, we still won, but we saw what it was like shutting down the top line was like.

injuries aside.. I'm hoping for a top 3 finish in the west. The players are all back with minimal change.. the lines in camp have been pretty consistent which should lend itself to a strong start to the season.. My biggest concern is the coaching. .This has been a very favorable camp with minimal travel and the player numbers have been way down from previous camps.. 2 or 3 of the PTO players should be signed for veteran help in Stockton.... too bad Valamaki has to be injured to start.. This 3rd pairing with Anderson is really the only question mark to start the season.. The rest of the roster is filled with capable NHL players and a decent pool of capable backups for all positions

My expectations are minimum 98 pts regular season and a ticket to the playoffs.

How they deal with their opportunity in the real season will be interesting to watch.

They all had a failing grade last post season, except maybe Smith and he gone.

From top to bottom redemption is on the menu.

I’ll preface by saying this team ended last regular season not playing their best hockey, but still winning (against mainly teams out of the playoffs). I’d say the team piqued early, and rode the wave, until they got their Hash Rate handed to them by an excited playoff team in Colorado.

My expectation this year is that they’ve learned from last year. I don’t expect 2nd overall, but I do expect a noticeable increase in effort come the end of the season and playoffs.

Also, as much as I wasn’t originally a fan of the Lucic trade, he does coincide with my belief that intimidation and size remain prevalent factors in hockey. And, as such, I think it’s going to help us two-fold. 1) the obvious: the opposition is going to think twice about taking liberties on our players (JH’s wrists and hands rejoice!) and 2) Our team is going to play “bigger and taller” knowing Lucic has their back. 

Let’s keep our eyes on that Cup!

Go Flames Go!

I expect a strong showing this year.

No Smith to cause violent mood swings for the team.

No Neal to use minutes and do squat.

Vegas had to reduce cap, but they still have a good team.

MAF is key to their success.

SJ lost a big part of the team/

ANA and LA are rebuilding.

EDM is worse than last year, with new guys being counted on.

VAN has Ferland now, so they will be on the bubble.

ARI is a dark horse; could be in a battle for WC spot.

COL got better.

WPG got worse.

NSH about the same.

CHI is another dark horse.

STL might still have hangover.

DAL got better but is always going to be a question mark.

Minny is rebuilding?

We should be battling for 1st in the West.

Our D is made up of a couple young guys that will take a step.

We have 2 vets in contract years.

Norris Guy looking to stay strong.

The forwards are mostly the same, and some of those guys will add to their scoring.

A couple of younger guys that should take a step.

• 1 month later...

Wasn't  sure where else to put this and I know alot of the numbers can be open for interpretation so........

We are now at the 1/4 season mark and with that end of season numbers are projecting approximately.

Team:      39 W - 31 L - 12 OTL - 90 PTS.

Other than PK% the team is in the mid to lower mid league wide for almost all team stats.

Last year the Avs got the last WC spot with 90 PTS with a 4 PT cushion on the Yotes.

Tkachuk - 80 pts                     (from last year)  +3

Gaudreau - 72                                                  -27

Lindholm / Monahan - 68                                  -10 / -14

Gio - 52                                                            -22

Ryan - 36                                                         -2

Backlund / Brodie - 32                                      -15 / -2

Hanifin / Mangiapane - 28                                 -5 / +15

Andersson - 24                                                 +5

Bennett - 20                                                      -7

Hamonic - 16                                                     -3

Czarnik / Frolik / Lucic - 12                               -6 / -22 / -8

Stone - 8                                                          +3

Rieder / Kylington - 4                                        -7 / -4

Janko - 0                                                          -32

I understand theres alot more to it than just hard #s and alot of last years stats may not be consistently attainable but the fact that only 4 of the 20 listed are trending in the right direction is worrying. This begs the question, how long until changes need to be made either from within or through transaction?

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I understand theres alot more to it than just hard #s and alot of last years stats may not be consistently attainable but the fact that only 4 of the 20 listed are trending in the right direction is worrying. This begs the question, how long until changes need to be made either from within or through transaction?

In the offseason.   Like the last one when we called for change and you got upset.

For now, support the team.

• 1 month later...

Right now this team is trending as a wild card at best. Colorado would still roll over us at this point. The Ward effect seems to have worn off as expected. If the Flames are able to recover and string together a nice set of winning streaks then it’s gravy. Who am I kidding tho...this team hasn’t shown any cup contending level of play as of yet

I expect this ia a bump in the road.

Should be expected after such a bad series of events.

Hard to say what the PP is when we don;t get somple calls.

The PP is fine.

We are scoring 5v5 goals.

There are some personnel issues that have not changed and they need to address them.

Hanifin is getting cratered playing with Hamonic.

At least give him Ras if you don;t play him with Brodie.

Backlund, for all his defensive prowess, is killing any play with Monahan.

It's not helping Monahan's defensive game either.

Johnny playing with Lucic is fine for a few shifts, but it's not a winning strategy.

It's a funk buster at best.

Bennett does not look like he will ever score again.

Some problems.

BT has some work to do NOW.

Don;t confuse what you think a player can do with what he continues to do.

Make the tough trades, but think about the kind of players we are missing.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The PP is fine.

There are some personnel issues that have not changed and they need to address them.

Johnny playing with Lucic is fine for a few shifts, but it's not a winning strategy.

Some problems.

it pains me to say Bennett maybe better off with another team. He just hasn’t panned out and I don’t know if it is gripping sticks too tight. Do you let him go and let him flourish somewhere or do you hold on to hope and also not want to see that happen so you keep him and he continues to fail, kind of blocking him because of that?

as a player you like his heart. He showed signs of skill with multi goal games. 

I still think there’s a mismatch here with the makeup of the roster. I can’t figure out the fix. 

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

it pains me to say Bennett maybe better off with another team. He just hasn’t panned out and I don’t know if it is gripping sticks too tight. Do you let him go and let him flourish somewhere or do you hold on to hope and also not want to see that happen so you keep him and he continues to fail, kind of blocking him because of that?

as a player you like his heart. He showed signs of skill with multi goal games. 

I still think there’s a mismatch here with the makeup of the roster. I can’t figure out the fix. 

For the money Bennett does not do enough.

When was his last multi point game, let alone goal.

Cut bait or scratch him until you get him to fit.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The PP is fine.

Some problems.

listening to Flames assistant huskas on the radio last night.. I've lost any hope of anything more than One playoff round victory this spring.. he says there is much work to do on both sides of the line in offensive and defensive zone.. Loves Mangiapanes energy but he has a lot to learn and probably not capable st this point in being the right person to play top line wing. he also mentioned that all teams in the league are acutely aware of the fact that when the Flames get down a goal or two.. Their games changes and there's a lot more east/wast play  than north/ south which leaves them open for turnovers and breakaways

I think the Ward “bump” after he took over was a mirage. Yes they won some games, but even the last few games Peters coached the Flames played better. This is still the same team we’ve seen all year. Play great for a while, then fall off the map for a stretch and in the process cost yourself the game 

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

listening to Flames assistant huskas on the radio last night.. I've lost any hope of anything more than One playoff round victory this spring.. he says there is much work to do on both sides of the line in offensive and defensive zone.. Loves Mangiapanes energy but he has a lot to learn and probably not capable st this point in being the right person to play top line wing. he also mentioned that all teams in the league are acutely aware of the fact that when the Flames get down a goal or two.. Their games changes and there's a lot more east/wast play  than north/ south which leaves them open for turnovers and breakaways

The team is there, hiding behind poor defensive play.

Sieve defensive play.

Hamonic and Hanifin are killing us.

There is no logic for keeping them together.

Yet, when they are seperated, the alternative is Hammer with Gio.

Together the pair is letting teams back in games.

I would consider a trade just to inject something else, no not Stone.

I've been harping on Backlund for doing little, but the alternative is what?

Rieder or Dube or Mangiapane are about the smartest players able to play with anyone.

Do we really need Backlund on the 2nd line just because?

The 3rd and 4th lines continue to inject energy into the game, but they are not scoring enough regularly.

Archived