Calgary Flames Expectations

Going4TheCup

The Calgary Flames have recently made quite a few changes this year from trading for Elias Lindholm, Noah Hanifin to signing Derek Ryan, Austin Czarnik and James Neal in Free Agency. With these acquisitions the Calgary Flames are certainly heading in the right direction for the present and the future, the only main thing the Flames need in the future is a starting goaltender because Mike Smith is getting old. That being said I believe the Calgary Flames are expected to make the Playoffs this season and I actually think with the new coach of course that the Flames are actual contenders for the Stanley Cup especially since the Vegas Golden Knights made some noise this past season. It should be an interesting and exciting season! What do you expect of the Calgary Flames this season??

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are primed for a massive season, with new players, coaches, excellent depth and a re-found focus.  I think they could go all the way, but that is next to impossible to predict.  Let's just say I'll be very disappointed if they fail to make the playoffs, and I think they are definitely strong enough to make it to the Conference finals.

The expectation is that a new coach and the addition of new players will result in the start of a playoff trend.

We have improved the depth.

We have added a top line capable RW that can score.

We have added several RHS to be able to take draws.

Several players that contributed very little have been let walk.

Our PP should be better, both from coaching and from available players.

Our PK can be better by less usage of players that are just okay at it.

Goal scoring should be up.

Goals against should drop, due to added ability on faceoffs and more defensive forwards.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I expect us to make the playoffs this season but no expectations beyond that.  For me, just too many questions with our goaltending to have high expectations.

I have read from other people that Carolina had a good defensive system and was one of the top teams at not giving up shots. If this is the case maybe the Calgary Flames do not have to rely on their goalies to steal them games but one can only hope!

14 minutes ago, Going4TheCup said:

I have read from other people that Carolina had a good defensive system and was one of the top teams at not giving up shots. If this is the case maybe the Calgary Flames do not have to rely on their goalies to steal them games but one can only hope!

Nothing could have been worse than the D systems and defensive coverage we saw last year.

Not saying that all pairs were bad in that end, just that it seemed that we spent entire shifts trying to get the puck out.

Probably one of the reasons why I thought Brodie would be better teamed up with Gio and why Stone was a mistake.

The other aspect was lazy defensive coverage by some forwards.

As much as I think Johnny and Monahan are elite, I have to question their play without the puck.

BP is expected to work on that.  

1 hour ago, Going4TheCup said:

Ya Carolina was weird in that they allowed the fewest shots but had one of the highest goals against.  So maybe the quality of shots they allow were high?  Or their goaltending sucked?  Yet, cant say we have that much more talent in net... Maybe same results despite better team defense?  Being a bit negative but we have to see.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ya Carolina was weird in that they allowed the fewest shots but had one of the highest goals against.  So maybe the quality of shots they allow were high?  Or their goaltending sucked?  Yet, cant say we have that much more talent in net... Maybe same results despite better team defense?  Being a bit negative but we have to see.

If Mike Smith stays healthy and the back up goalie makes a number of starts I think the Flames can make some noise in the playoffs because not only will the Flames defense win us some games but Mike Smith can steal us some much needed wins like he did last season before he got injured.

I think making the playoffs is a must. The playoffs are hard so I can’t say we’ll win a round because even cup contenders lose in the 1st round. 

Blues teams seemed like one of the most solid built teams but couldnt get it done for years. 

We can say we have an easier division but we still don’t know. 

43 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Honestly the expectation from the group

needs to be Stanley Cup.

Is that realistic or not I don’t know, but for me why not this year? 

I definitely think it is realistic especially since the Vegas Golden Knights were so close to winning it all and I believe this season may be the last season with the Flames for Mike Smith, not too sure though.

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Honestly the expectation from the group

needs to be Stanley Cup.

Is that realistic or not I don’t know, but for me why not this year? 

We have been waiting a long time to get our RW back to being a strength for us, now we have it. BT has added some skilled players and I believe with Neal we have a competitive leader for our forward group. I will be looking for a real change of attitude from the players this coming season. Goaltending wins SCs and we will need Smith to have a Fleury type season for us to achieve a SC. This could be his swan song season so who knows. Go FLAMES Go

My "conservative" expectation is : MAKE playoffs NOT as a bubble team or fighting for wildcard and win at least 1 round in playoffs

My "hopeful" expectation is : Game 7 loss in the WCF to WPG (all CA WCF) ensuring Canadian team in SCF (think TO will only take 1 round)

"optimistic" : as every fan on every team wants SC CHAMPS!!!! Norris to Gio and ArtRoss/Heart to JG

59 minutes ago, Going4TheCup said:

What do the Flames need to be considered contenders??

1. Top 12 goaltending

2. Top 10 special teams. pieces are there but prove it.

3. Monahan take a step from 30 goals 60 is point center to true number one center. 75 plus points and improve his two way game. 

4. Brodie and Hanifin have to bounce back/reach their potential. 

5. One of Tkachuk-Bennett- Janko - Lindholm has to break out and give the team another legitimate borderline star. 

I'm confident 2 and 5 will happen. 1 feels possible but 3-4 have me the most concerned. 

30 minutes ago, cross16 said:

1. Top 12 goaltending

2. Top 10 special teams. pieces are there but prove it.

3. Monahan take a step from 30 goals 60 is point center to true number one center. 75 plus points and improve his two way game. 

4. Brodie and Hanifin have to bounce back/reach their potential. 

5. One of Tkachuk-Bennett- Janko - Lindholm has to break out and give the team another legitimate borderline star. 

I'm confident 2 and 5 will happen. 1 feels possible but 3-4 have me the most concerned. 

Brodie has me the most concerned because last season I remember he had so many turnovers and I specifically remember him giving the puck away in overtime that directly led to the game losing goal. I actually thought Brodie would be traded and that is why when Dougie Hamilton got traded I was really surprised because now I think that Brodie has no chance of being traded. Maybe Bill Peters's system will benefit Brodie.

If the Flames land a dang good backup I have them finishing 2nd/3rd in the Pacific& making it to the WCF but falling to 1 of Wpg., Nashville or St. L as those 3 will probably be the power in the Central.

Without a dang good backup it'll be a sad repeat of the close but no cigar seasons.

All other parts are in place but I can't overstate the value of the backup when the starter is 36 with an injury history enough.

9 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

If the Flames land a dang good backup I have them finishing 2nd/3rd in the Pacific& making it to the WCF but falling to 1 of Wpg., Nashville or St. L as those 3 will probably be the power in the Central.

Without a dang good backup it'll be a sad repeat of the close but no cigar seasons.

All other parts are in place but I can't overstate the value of the backup when the starter is 36 with an injury history enough.

Yeah I have no idea what GM Brad Treliving is going to do about the goaltending situation especially after this season because it may be the last for Mike Smith as a Calgary Flame. Flames need a number 1 goalie after Mike Smith that's for sure!

I'm putting us getting into the playoffs as 4th best in the West, and 2nd in our division.  I think we'll win two rounds but we'll need a bit more playoff experience before the team goes deeper.  Too many of our guys are too inexperienced when it comes to the playoffs, and they say that's a critical component to winning the later rounds.

As for a back-up, I do understand the concern, but I'm cautiously optimistic that Rittich or Gillies can handle it better this year.  Rittich was after all a pretty awesome back up right up until Smith went down and he wasn't ready for the responsibilities of being the number 1 guy.  To think he won't have learned anything or benefited from his experience last year is selling him short I think.  But I agree...goaltending is - once again - our weak link and biggest question mark.  The silver lining is that often there's decent back-ups to be had mid-season.  So what we start with in October could change quickly.

2 hours ago, YounGuns said:

I'm putting us getting into the playoffs as 4th best in the West, and 2nd in our division.  I think we'll win two rounds but we'll need a bit more playoff experience before the team goes deeper.  Too many of our guys are too inexperienced when it comes to the playoffs, and they say that's a critical component to winning the later rounds.

As for a back-up, I do understand the concern, but I'm cautiously optimistic that Rittich or Gillies can handle it better this year.  Rittich was after all a pretty awesome back up right up until Smith went down and he wasn't ready for the responsibilities of being the number 1 guy.  To think he won't have learned anything or benefited from his experience last year is selling him short I think.  But I agree...goaltending is - once again - our weak link and biggest question mark.  The silver lining is that often there's decent back-ups to be had mid-season.  So what we start with in October could change quickly.

I'm really disappointed we didn't sign Petr Mrázek, I think he would have been a decent back up and maybe he could have been the starter for the Flames after this season.

15 hours ago, Going4TheCup said:

I'm really disappointed we didn't sign Petr Mrázek, I think he would have been a decent back up and maybe he could have been the starter for the Flames after this season.

Why ? Mrazek has been terrible for 2 seasons now without indications to improve. If our pipeline Goalies are not quality up and comers then I agree go get one that is ready to crack the starter mold. These type are not in abundance currently and no team is giving talented goalies away so it will cost us. I think BT needs to start getting some picks back and not be giving up many more if any for a few seasons.

Archived