Calgary Flames Expectations

Going4TheCup

7 minutes ago, Going4TheCup said:

Thanks. Now that we have around 8 million left in Cap Space do you think the Flames will make some trades to open up some more CAP SPACE?? I don't think Treliving is done making deals but we will see. i honestly don't see Treliving Buying out Brouwer because it seems like Treliving is a man of his word and I think Brouwer has a home here in Calgary, hopefully I am wrong though.

I would think he would want to try and create some room yes. Not required necessarily, but something to explore. I too agree that I don't think he will buyout Brouwer but we'll see. 

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Going4TheCup said:

Thanks. Now that we have around 8 million left in Cap Space do you think the Flames will make some trades to open up some more CAP SPACE?? I don't think Treliving is done making deals but we will see. i honestly don't see Treliving Buying out Brouwer because it seems like Treliving is a man of his word and I think Brouwer has a home here in Calgary, hopefully I am wrong though.

Business is business and BT's job is to find ways to make this team better and at it's best. Yes contracts will deter the effort at times but Brouwer is clearly not a best option situation for next season's team and could be bought out.

Just now, MAC331 said:

Business is business and BT's job is to find ways to make this team better and at it's best. Yes contracts will deter the effort at times but Brouwer is clearly not a best option situation for next season's team and could be bought out.

I hope Brouwer gets bought out or traded too but I remember when Brouwer first signed with the Flames that they were saying that Brouwer is buying a house in Calgary with his family or something like that. But yeah I totally agree business is business and I hope Treliving finds a way to buy out Brouwer or move him. I'm still alittle worried with the amount of Cap Space that is left for the remaining restricted players, Will Treliving find a way?? I Certainly hope so but I'm also worried that if he trades Brouwer that he will include a draft pick, Will it be worth it though??

32 minutes ago, Going4TheCup said:

I hope Brouwer gets bought out or traded too but I remember when Brouwer first signed with the Flames that they were saying that Brouwer is buying a house in Calgary with his family or something like that. But yeah I totally agree business is business and I hope Treliving finds a way to buy out Brouwer or move him. I'm still alittle worried with the amount of Cap Space that is left for the remaining restricted players, Will Treliving find a way?? I Certainly hope so but I'm also worried that if he trades Brouwer that he will include a draft pick, Will it be worth it though??

I honestly don't think carrying 1.5M in cap hit for 4 years will hamper us going forward. Having Brouwer around could very much be a detriment to this team. Give it a year or so and there could be some movement from the end 2018/19 roster. You get rid of Brouwer now, Frolik next season and Stone BT starts to free up the required money. I wouldn't rule out the trading of Giordano and Brodie within the next 2 seasons. I know people don't want to hear it but I could see us trading Gaudreau in the next 3 year period.

I'm as frustrated with Brouwer as everyone else but I'm willing to give him up until the TDL with Peters to see if he can revive his career and his value. Buying out Brouwer is an option, but I don't see BT doing that unless he has a deal/move already in place. Having Troy Brouwer as a depth option isn't the end of the world as annoying as his cap hit is, especially if the injury bug strikes. 

1 minute ago, rickross said:

I'm as frustrated with Brouwer as everyone else but I'm willing to give him up until the TDL with Peters to see if he can revive his career and his value. Buying out Brouwer is an option, but I don't see BT doing that unless he has a deal/move already in place. Having Troy Brouwer as a depth option isn't the end of the world as annoying as his cap hit is, especially if the injury bug strikes. 

As much I as I want Brouwer off the Calgary Flames roster I actually agree with you, Brouwer also isn't that bad on the penalty kill either. We will see what Treliving decides.

5 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I honestly don't think carrying 1.5M in cap hit for 4 years will hamper us going forward. Having Brouwer around could very much be a detriment to this team. Give it a year or so and there could be some movement from the end 2018/19 roster. You get rid of Brouwer now, Frolik next season and Stone BT starts to free up the required money. I wouldn't rule out the trading of Giordano and Brodie within the next 2 seasons. I know people don't want to hear it but I could see us trading Gaudreau in the next 3 year period.

Why do you see Gaudreau being traded in the next 3 year period?

Regarding Flames expectations..tempered! I'm excited over the quick roster rehaul and great player additions as well as coaches. However, the Flames have struggled to reach the potential of their on paper rosters before. I'm still undecided about Peters and it'll take time before we know what we have on ice. I do believe the Flames have a Playoff roster on paper and could become true contenders, same way they could continue to be a revolving door for coaches. They look better than last years on many levels but there are too many unknowns at this point

13 hours ago, rickross said:

This could be how it goes down eventually.

13 hours ago, Going4TheCup said:

Why do you see Gaudreau being traded in the next 3 year period?

I see our LW side becoming a strength for the team especially if Bennett emerges. Somewhere along the line in these 3 years the will need to start a mini re-tool IMO starting with Giordano traded, then Gaudreau to further strengthen our prospect pool. As I see BT maneuver these contracts with no NTC or NMC I think he will be prepared for changes if required.

27 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I see our LW side becoming a strength for the team especially if Bennett emerges. Somewhere along the line in these 3 years the will need to start a mini re-tool IMO starting with Giordano traded, then Gaudreau to further strengthen our prospect pool. As I see BT maneuver these contracts with no NTC or NMC I think he will be prepared for changes if required.

If Bennett is your plan B for replacing JH's scoring, he's got a loooooong way to go.

Gio needs to be traded as soon as he starts to slow down.

If Bennett starts to show some promise, maybe he's a chip to trade for what you describe.  A LW/C should hold a little bit of value.

Trading away a franchise player rarely end well for the trading team.

Unless of course, JH has said there is no way he's re-signing.

It never ceases to amaze me how Brouwer takes the brunt but everyone else gets a general pass.

If Brouwer wasn’t with us last year, I’m pretty sure the net effect would be zero.

His pissing and moaning? Good for him, it went in the toilet, was he supposed to be “whatever” like everyone’s hero Hamilton?

If we keep thinking Brouwer is the problem, we’re kidding ourselves.

I’m not exactly his biggest supporter, but there is a ton of blame to go around.

Let’s start with the all-star.

How good would JG be if he could temper his constant frustration, could shoot better than a top peewee player, could actually score on a breakaway, wasn’t a turnover machine and could play defence, at least a little bit?

Who shall we tie into next? Fenland? Backlund? Bennett? Frolik? Stajan? Lazar?

Hathaway? Stone? Brodie? Harmonic?

There’s over half the skaters last year not named Brouwer.

15 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It never ceases to amaze me how Brouwer takes the brunt but everyone else gets a general pass.

If Brouwer wasn’t with us last year, I’m pretty sure the net effect would be zero.

His pissing and moaning? Good for him, it went in the toilet, was he supposed to be “whatever” like everyone’s hero Hamilton?

I’m not exactly his biggest supporter, but there is a ton of blame to go around.

How good would JG be if he could temper his constant frustration, could shoot better than a top peewee player, could actually score on a breakaway, wasn’t a turnover machine and could play defence, at least a little bit?

Brouwer is a symptom of a team with little options.  Options on defense.  Options with lines.

I think we've added some key pieces to offset that lack of RHS's.

We've changed out the coach that many (myself included) laid a lot of blame on for someone that is not married to only certain lines.

Perhaps he can put some defensive structure in place or perhaps Huska can.

JH and Monahan were both bad in the D-zone.  Monahan understood his responsibilities a bit better, but nether were shining stars.

And yes, JH was the Bryon of 2015.  He needs to use some other moves and there needs to be someone else flying up beside him.

Both Hammy and Brodie forgot to play defense when they were wheeling out there.  At least Broodie would get back.

Our Achilles heel is still in nets, whether that be low danger or high volume of shooting.

I'm an optimist.  I think we will sort out the net issue before or shortly after the season starts.

Moving Brodie with Gio may actually put them in a better defensive posture.

Hamifin may actually be exactly the right guy to pair with Hammer.  I expect a better performance than last year's pairs.

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If Bennett is your plan B for replacing JH's scoring, he's got a loooooong way to go.

If Bennett starts to show some promise, maybe he's a chip to trade for what you describe.  A LW/C should hold a little bit of value.

Hardly but he could. No I was more think Tkachuk will or could over take that position in time. Hopefully Bennett progresses and moves up and then we could have Mangiapane and Dube further along as well.

Giordano has started to slow down already but more importantly we will have Hanifin and Valimaki coming on fast.

I want to see how Bennett does this season before I even consider trading him. This kid is talented and it needs to be brought out.

I don't see Gaudreau as a franchise layer, he is a good player but has his flaws. The guy cost us nothing as a 4th round pick, we win with any trade.

41 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The only relevant point regarding Brouwer is his game is not what it used to be and we now have better players available to play the type of game BP wants played. My guess is they will stick with him for awhile but will be taking the first logical exit from him. This is looking out the windshield not the rear view mirror.

14 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Hardly but he could. No I was more think Tkachuk will or could over take that position in time. Hopefully Bennett progresses and moves up and then we could have Mangiapane and Dube further along as well.

Giordano has started to slow down already but more importantly we will have Hanifin and Valimaki coming on fast.

I want to see how Bennett does this season before I even consider trading him. This kid is talented and it needs to be brought out.

I don't see Gaudreau as a franchise layer, he is a good player but has his flaws. The guy cost us nothing as a 4th round pick, we win with any trade.

And all players need to learn as they move on.  What he cost us is irrelevent. 

There's a very good chance that he becomes more of a complete player sooner than later. 

He's led the team for each and every year since being a rookie.  I see that as franchise.

To each his own.

48 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

And all players need to learn as they move on.  What he cost us is irrelevent. 

There's a very good chance that he becomes more of a complete player sooner than later. 

He's led the team for each and every year since being a rookie.  I see that as franchise.

To each his own.

Just saying we should have plenty of good players in a few years and he could be expendable for other possible needs. If I was GM having maxed out on a 4th round pick and received 6 productive years and got more than I had to pay for him I consider that a win not irrelevant.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Just saying we should have plenty of good players in a few years and he could be expendable for other possible needs. If I was GM having maxed out on a 4th round pick and received 6 productive years and got more than I had to pay for him I consider that a win not irrelevant.

Irrelevant as in he's a player on your team that costs whatever.

Whether we paid a 1st + a top 2 D for him or a 4th in a year we drafted Baertsci in the 1st, the cost doesn't matter at this point.  Those are sunk costs and have no bearing on whether a trade is a win or a loss.  What you end up on your team after the first couple of years matters.  

We traded a chance at Barzal++ for Dougie, which turned into a trade with a 5th round player for Hanifin and Lindholm.  Does the price we paid really matter in the long run.

37 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Whether we paid a 1st + a top 2 D for him or a 4th in a year we drafted Baertsci in the 1st, the cost doesn't matter at this point.  Those are sunk costs and have no bearing on whether a trade is a win or a loss.  What you end up on your team after the first couple of years matters.  

We traded a chance at Barzal++ for Dougie, which turned into a trade with a 5th round player for Hanifin and Lindholm.  Does the price we paid really matter in the long run.

I totally agree and I think we should re-sign Gaudreau in the future at a good price if Brad Treliving is still the G.M and if Gaudreau continues his good play.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think it does yes, it's all currency positive or negative. Gaudreau as a player will build value or lose value, Right now he is building value that could and should help this franchise remain a good franchise.

I don’t worry about Gaudreau leaving. The whole “he wants to play in Philly thing is overblown”, he also said a couple years back that he could see himself playing his whole career here.

A big part of whether he stays here or goes, will he team success. If we win a cup in the next 4 years it’s very likely he stays, if we are a playoff team only 1 of the next 4 years then yeah he’s likely gone.

His contract expiry also lines up with Gio’s. Just with Gio expiring there’s an extra 6.75 we could add to Johnny’s deal if need be, although I don’t think he will get over 13 on his next deal 

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don’t worry about Gaudreau leaving. The whole “he wants to play in Philly thing is overblown”, he also said a couple years back that he could see himself playing his whole career here.

A big part of whether he stays here or goes, will he team success. If we win a cup in the next 4 years it’s very likely he stays, if we are a playoff team only 1 of the next 4 years then yeah he’s likely gone.

His contract expiry also lines up with Gio’s. Just with Gio expiring there’s an extra 6.75 we could add to Johnny’s deal if need be, although I don’t think he will get over 13 on his next deal 

It make no sense to worry about such things anyways. Lots can and will happen between now and when his contract expires. I don't think our team falls apart if we trade him down the line.

On 7/17/2018 at 9:15 AM, travel_dude said:

I think that Bennett will be traded for some reason anyways, its just my feeling. Maybe he will be traded with Brouwer??

Archived