Oilers

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

sort of, but no, my partner was doing a university talk on philosophy at UofA... so went to see her speak, and some students and other profs.

So, cities in the middle of nowhere, with a lack of any perceived natural beauty don't appeal to you?  JK.  I suppose you can find beauty in any city if you get out of the gridlock and find the spaces that show off the natural beauty of  place.  I'm still looking for the beach.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

So, cities in the middle of nowhere, with a lack of any perceived natural beauty don't appeal to you?  JK.  I suppose you can find beauty in any city if you get out of the gridlock and find the spaces that show off the natural beauty of  place.  I'm still looking for the beach.

To my limited historical understanding, Edmonton was as much of a scam back when it became capital of Alberta as their hockey team is now.   Calgary was more established then, was a city sooner, was the largest city of the province then (I think), and obviously nicer then.    Was a sweet railroad deal back when railroads controlled the country (more than they do now).     The equivalent of Edmonton being declared the "hockey capital" of alberta when they got their new event center, despite Calgary clearly being the better organisation (along with all other NHL organisations).

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

To my limited historical understanding, Edmonton was as much of a scam back when it became capital of Alberta as their hockey team is now.   Calgary was more established then, was a city sooner, was the largest city of the province then (I think), and obviously nicer then.    Was a sweet railroad deal back when railroads controlled the country (more than they do now).     The equivalent of Edmonton being declared the "hockey capital" of alberta when they got their new event center, despite Calgary clearly being the better organisation (along with all other NHL organisations).

I wasn't born here and only have lived here for 12 years.  Capital cities rarely come from the "nicest" or most populous; they tend to be rooted in Fort X or trade routes from the 1800's.  I don't mean to trash a city.  They are what they are.  Some people love it.  Some people hate CGY for the excessive traffic, poor snow clearing and (now) substandard water services.  I think it means that big cities will experience that at some point.

At the end of this season, Draisaitl will have been underpaid for 8 seasons. There is zero reason for him to give a discount. He's been a bargain for 10 seasons, when his current deal is up. 

This should be a very easy negotiation. Should be a blank cheque. If he wants 16x8 for 128, what are the Oilers gonna do? They have to pay up. You've got a guy that's hit more than 100pts in each of the last 5 full seasons and put up 84 in the covid 56 gamer. You have no leverage, if you're EDM.

I've seen a lot of wishcasting that 13.5x8 would get the deal done. If that's the case, why wasn't that signed already? There's no doubt the Draisaitl camp already has an idea what will be available to them, if they elect to hit UFA. 

They've still got time, but if he enters the season without a contract, then there should be legitimate concern. Look at Stamkos, everyone assumed it would get done, then it never got done.

The argument for him staying is that he's good friends with McDavid and they can win in Edmonton. Ok, fair. but they just played a Cup Final where a star player left Alberta for a tropical destination and, guess what, he won there. Edmonton isn't the only location in the league where Leon Draisaitl can win a Stanley Cup.

17 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

At the end of this season, Draisaitl will have been underpaid for 8 seasons. There is zero reason for him to give a discount. He's been a bargain for 10 seasons, when his current deal is up. 

This should be a very easy negotiation. Should be a blank cheque. If he wants 16x8 for 128, what are the Oilers gonna do? They have to pay up. You've got a guy that's hit more than 100pts in each of the last 5 full seasons and put up 84 in the covid 56 gamer. You have no leverage, if you're EDM.

I've seen a lot of wishcasting that 13.5x8 would get the deal done. If that's the case, why wasn't that signed already? There's no doubt the Draisaitl camp already has an idea what will be available to them, if they elect to hit UFA. 

They've still got time, but if he enters the season without a contract, then there should be legitimate concern. Look at Stamkos, everyone assumed it would get done, then it never got done.

The argument for him staying is that he's good friends with McDavid and they can win in Edmonton. Ok, fair. but they just played a Cup Final where a star player left Alberta for a tropical destination and, guess what, he won there. Edmonton isn't the only location in the league where Leon Draisaitl can win a Stanley Cup.

So, is the max salary 20% of the cap?  I read where the cap will be $93M when his new contract is due.  Does he deserve that?  McD will be the following year, which would be even higher.  

I guess I am reluctant to pay a guy like that $18M.  Just before he scored 50 goals, he had 25, 29 and 19.  Seeing a lot of his PP goals, they were one timers.  Without the perfect pass, it's not in the net.  You have a Johnny Hockey or McDavid setting you up you can score a lot.  Does that make you worth the max?

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

But no guarantee McDavid stays after his deal is up and why stay there 7 years without him?  Don't think it is out of the question that the two of them know each others intentions.  As good of friends as they seem to be, players these days look out for their best interests.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So, is the max salary 20% of the cap?  I read where the cap will be $93M when his new contract is due.  Does he deserve that?  McD will be the following year, which would be even higher.  

I guess I am reluctant to pay a guy like that $18M.  Just before he scored 50 goals, he had 25, 29 and 19.  Seeing a lot of his PP goals, they were one timers.  Without the perfect pass, it's not in the net.  You have a Johnny Hockey or McDavid setting you up you can score a lot.  Does that make you worth the max?

I actually would have some concerns about committing 100+ on an 8yr deal for Draisaitl.

He's going to sign the largest contract in NHL history. That kicks in at age 30. As you mentioned the powerplay, it should be noted that his 5 on 5 goal scoring has tailed off the past two years. 93 goals in two seasons is incredible. 57% of them came on the PP though.  I don't think there's a dropoff coming, at all, just something Edmonton needs to keep in mind. 

I just don't think Edmonton has a choice. He's the Jenga piece. He stays and the window stays open in Edmonton. If he chooses not to sign, I think the whole thing falls apart.

45 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I just don't think Edmonton has a choice. He's the Jenga piece. He stays and the window stays open in Edmonton. If he chooses not to sign, I think the whole thing falls apart.

Pretty much.  The Oilers are top heavy and there's no depth coming up the system either.  The Oilers have no choice.

What's funny would be Draisaitl extending long term at a big cap hit and then McDavid refuses to extend next season because the team is too old and has no chance to win anymore.

15 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

this is where I sit too. I've yet to hear a good explanation why all these players are going to take less, but yet no one has actually signed yet. If a player wants to be somewhere and is willing to take less to do it those deals get done early, they don't linger into September and they are almost never preceded by rumors that the two sides might not be that close. 

I don't buy that this needed to wait until the Oilers hired a GM. A POHO and an owner are equally as important to a deal like this, and arguably more so, than the GM. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/big-show-with-rusic-rose/id538466684?i=1000666920137

Seravalli on 960 this morning. He has seemingly walked back his take of the Oilers stars taking less. Mentioned the negotiation has taken longer than he thought it would. Also thinks Draisaitl is signing for somewhere in the range of 14

So back to where logical hockey fans/supporters have been all along. 

Hilarious. 

15 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

They just can’t help themselves, can they?

Former Sting!! I'm disgusted to admit. I've hated DeAngelo since he was 17. The reasons still exist. The most selfish player I've ever seen, and the arrogance of his character. He has done nothing but refine it. You'd think, when teams constantly want you gone, you might have some inward reflection. He is devoid of that gene.

His draft year, I was hoping he wouldn't get drafted at all. It's pro hockey, there's always lots of people that don't gaf about character if you're good at hockey. Sadly.

Dude should come with a lifetime prescription of amoxicillin for everyone around him. He's not a cancer, he's a venereal disease.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Lol perfect fit ironically.

Our community is loaded with 2nd and 3rd generation Italians and Greeks.

You'd think someone named Tony DeAngelo would fit like a glove. Nope.

As an aside, my elderly mother says: "The way some people talk about the people from India now is exactly like the Hash Rate that put down the Italians when I was a kid. They're stealing all of our jobs. What a load of Satoshi Nakamoto".

She's a feisty one at 86. She's gained 2 young Indian families as neighbours in the last few years. I have to say, holy jfc are they good to her. She's never had it so good.

One of my bros is in Qanon disease recovery. Boy did he get ripped to shreds at her 86th bday. She's not the person to start ranting about "brown people" in front of. One look at her and I tried and failed to interject quickly.

He stormed out without my fantastic bbq meal. Oof.

It took awhile, but we've made amends between them. He's recovering decently. He had a world of old good friends he lost touch with in favour of a world of fake friends that blame everything but themselves for their woes.

My woman has cleaned that Satoshi Nakamoto right up. Even his ex comes for visits again. The fake friends have been, shall we say, thoroughly discouraged. He's back in contact with his real friends. It's been quite a ride.

I have a great out when they start calling her names and ask, "what are you going to do about it"?

"Here's her brother's name, and he's about 5 minutes away, likely 2 when he's mad".

That changes the tone to, "oh, that's your brother"?

She always gives me Satoshi Nakamoto for it. I always just say, "Hey, it works, doesn't it"? He laughs when I tell him. "Right on man. Who's this guy"? "It doesn't matter, man. That's all it took". But seriously, who was it? NO.

To be frank, he's now got his life back. Made great money pipelining. We flew into Calgary and to Red Deer about 10yrs ago to find him. Total street junkie. We found him, miraculously...brought him here and got him cleaned up. He's doing really well now.

But the mood swing is horrific if you get him fired up. There are about 4 guys in town everyone knows not to eff with. He's probably #2 at worst. I've witnessed some catastrophes first hand.

There isn't a second of any day that he doesn't acknowledge that we saved his life and restored his relationship with his kids, whom we were flying in a couple times/yr.

You seriously don't Blockchain with his sister. Keeps my Hash Rate in line. lol

This is me trying to ignore Gaudreau news that's keeping me up all night. All of that story is true, though.

He's actually been doing some midget and OHL scouting for Vegas in his off time. So that's fun.

A lot of friends from his WHL player days.

Oh boy. I haven't kept up with the Herald, let alone the Journal and read this from my feed?

Nice headline jfc, "hotshot" isn't the compliment the author appears to think it is. lol

What a dork.

The Herald doesn't do this garbage, right? It's been a while for me.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/edmonton-oilers-prospect-goalie-has-tracked-better-than-hot-shot-askarov-but-what-does-it-mean

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Oh boy. I haven't kept up with the Herald, let alone the Journal and read this from my feed?

Nice headline jfc, "hotshot" isn't the compliment the author appears to think it is. lol

What a dork.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/edmonton-oilers-prospect-goalie-has-tracked-better-than-hot-shot-askarov-but-what-does-it-mean

Ah, the EJ.  Every Oiler prospect is about to dominate.  The goalie that fans complained about because he was the son of their goalie guru.  The goalie that has done SFA.  Staples is pretty bad.  The others that comment, including the guy that "retired" are the worst homers I have ever read.  CGY fans and analysts have concers about Wolf who has actually dominated in every league he's played in, but for EDM bloggers Rodriguez is the next starter?  

Yawn.  Just like every story in Dreamland.  Oilers are better than last year.  Odds are better.  

42 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Ah, the EJ.  Every Oiler prospect is about to dominate.  The goalie that fans complained about because he was the son of their goalie guru.  The goalie that has done SFA.  Staples is pretty bad.  The others that comment, including the guy that "retired" are the worst homers I have ever read.  CGY fans and analysts have concers about Wolf who has actually dominated in every league he's played in, but for EDM bloggers Rodriguez is the next starter?  

Yawn.  Just like every story in Dreamland.  Oilers are better than last year.  Odds are better.  

It's ridiculous to use language to diminish others for not being your guy. I can only assume, "top-prospect goalie(s)", doesn't get the clicks that taking a potshot at a "hotshot(s)" does.

I can't stress this enough: what a dolt.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

What a dork.

Staples is good for a laugh, he is more of a news reporter who writes hockey articles that all come off from the perspective of the biggest homers.  Its all the same they lose its all the refs, they win and its all pure dominance, every player in the league loves Edmonton and wants to play there, nobody ever wants to leave and would play for free to live there, those those that do leave are worse than humans than Bin Laden.  A little exaggerated on my part, but not much sadly.  I don't know of anyone here that bad, one thing with Calgary is we have a lot of transplants in the media very few born Flames fans so reporting even at the best of times is still not as amped as Edmonton is almost all the time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Staples is good for a laugh, he is more of a news reporter who writes hockey articles that all come off from the perspective of the biggest homers.  Its all the same they lose its all the refs, they win and its all pure dominance, every player in the league loves Edmonton and wants to play there, nobody ever wants to leave and would play for free to live there, those those that do leave are worse than humans than Bin Laden.  A little exaggerated on my part, but not much sadly.  I don't know of anyone here that bad, one thing with Calgary is we have a lot of transplants in the media very few born Flames fans so reporting even at the best of times is still not as amped as Edmonton is almost all the time.

That's crazy. Respect breeds respect, I guess.

I'm used to reading Detroit hockey news. If anyone did this, sleight other franchise's prospects? Damn. I'd hate to be their inbox.

That will endear you to no one. He didn't even present a sound argument.

Crazy.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

What a dork.

This is so funny. Why hasn't anyone traded a 1st rounder for him? If he was Askarov-level, why did they call Pickard up instead? Thanks for sharing, that was a good laugh.

Rodrigue did have good #'s last season, to be fair. You know who had  better #'s on the same team though? Jack Campbell.