Oilers

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He can keep Connor Brown company on the "haven't scored a single goal yet" list.  They can blame it on the water.  The water sucks here, but it comes from a river, so what do you expect.

River water can be good. Depends how the people around the water treat it.

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

River water can be good. Depends how the people around the water treat it.

Obviously I am mixing up rivers, with this one starting in the Rockies.

But yes, the treatment of the watershed area is important.

When the chlorine taste is strong, then my opinion is that it's too treated to be good.

40 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

And winding through scummy ex-British Petroleum (may as well have been Apache Corp) country and through Drayton Valley. I'm sure it's fine.

Perhaps the effluent flowing into it at some point near UofA isn't a good thing either.

Really, I am a bit of a water snob, where I don't want to smell sulphur in my drinking water.

Where I was born and raised had the best water in the country for purity and (lack of) taste.

Or so the ratings people would have you believe.

That was then.

Grier is playing chess while the rest of the league are playing checkers. Apparently, Draisaitl and Ceci are very close. The Sharks are owned by a German...

I'm kidding, I don't actually believe that there's anything to the trade. it's just a coincidence. It has been speculated though that Hasso Plattner would love to have Draisaitl though. Think it was Marek and Wyshnski this spring, both said they had heard that. 

Anyway, for what it's worth, Jason Gregor doesn't think they're matching either offersheet.

10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Perhaps the effluent flowing into it at some point near UofA isn't a good thing either.

Really, I am a bit of a water snob, where I don't want to smell sulphur in my drinking water.

Where I was born and raised had the best water in the country for purity and (lack of) taste.

Or so the ratings people would have you believe.

That was then.

I live on the 3rd largest freshwater lake in the world, which is attached to the 1st and 4th largest. lol

Huron and Michigan aren't considered one lake by a narrow margin. Just sayin'.

If @420since1974 were here, we'd only know he was alive here, lol:

https://www.youtube.com/@420since1974

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Obviously I am mixing up rivers, with this one starting in the Rockies.

But yes, the treatment of the watershed area is important.

When the chlorine taste is strong, then my opinion is that it's too treated to be good.

that's not the river's fault though, imho Calgary has good water.  Unless you're looking for soft water, then, yeah.   Other than that, Great water.    We switched from chlorine treatment to bleach treatment 15-20 years ago for various reasons.   Bleach is more expensive, has a stronger taste, may be associated with high heart/stroke risks in the population, and may or may not also age pipes faster lol.   But that's what we did.   And that's why it tastes treated, combined with an abundance of caution and over-treatment.

edit:  oh now I see you're talking about Edmonton.  Yeah good luck.

9 minutes ago, Mike_Oxlong said:

So, they declined matching the offer sheets. Schadenfreude level up!

Yeah, but they added 2 lesser players that are waiver eligible.

Seriously though, that's the indication that they're afraid to spend an extra dollar before extending Draisaitl and Bouchard. If they can.

Everyone wants to re-sign in Edmonton for a hometown discount. I swear it's true, every Oilers fan on the internet told me so.

Army comes in cold with no grease. Bowman takes it. Gotta love it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I live on the 3rd largest freshwater lake in the world, which is attached to the 1st and 4th largest. lol

Huron and Michigan aren't considered one lake by a narrow margin. Just sayin'.

If @420since1974 were here, we'd only know he was alive here, lol:

https://www.youtube.com/@420since1974

But how does it taste?  LOL

Ontario has riches beyond belief when it comes to freshwater lakes and land.

If it wasn't for The Hammer and the ugly exploitation of Niagara Falls, it would be almost perfect.

Of course there is Toronto, hehe.

It was a strange days for STL.

Give a player plus a 2028 3rd rounder to appease Stan.

Grab the two players they wanted.

Force EDM to react anyway with Pos and the SJS trade.

They still have cap problems and the rest of the league won't let them out of cap jail.

46 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It was a strange days for STL.

Give a player plus a 2028 3rd rounder to appease Stan.

Grab the two players they wanted.

Force EDM to react anyway with Pos and the SJS trade.

They still have cap problems and the rest of the league won't let them out of cap jail.

OMG they mentioned unsigned draft pick Fischer, and I was petrified.

But it's Paul, not Sting dman Lukas, who's also a St. Loo draft pick.

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Why did they seem to move out Ceci to make cap space and then decline to match?

Well, they traded out a player and a pick and got back almost $2M of the $3.1M they sent out.  They now have cap space of $985k.  Kane is not yet 100% going to have surgery.  If he does, they gain the cap space (sort of).  If not, then they would be stuck with him likely just recouping to start the season and be stuck with his salary.

I think if you get away with getting value for a player you need to trade anyway is going to make you seriously look at the trade.  

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

Oilers have now shed themselves of all their first round picks from 2019-2023, to add on there doesn't look like much else in those years that add promise.

I’m convinced that most people on these forums could draft as well and likely better than Edmonton does. They are terrible at it. 

2019- it’s just Lavoie now. Low chance he makes the Oilers. Not that I’m sure he’s an NHL player anyway

2020- there’s a real chance the only NHL games they get out of that class were from Holloway.

2021- they likely get nothing out of this class. Traded Bourgault and Chiasson for Jarventie. So any games he plays, I suppose could count.

2022- they traded Schaefer in the Ekholm deal which was nice, because I don’t think he should have ever went in the 1st. Probably nothing out of this class as well.

2023- it’s too early, but when you only pick three times, once in the top 180, it’s gonna take some good fortune.

Even if McDavid stays, this window isn’t necessarily as wide open as you’d think. I think it’s a two year window. This year and next. McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard, Skinner, Ekholm are all up. The first four players likely take up 35 million.

There’s a chance the Oilers went five drafts without getting the bonus of players playing significant time on ELC’s. It’s going to bite them sooner than later. They’re the oldest team in the league right now, and will likely continue as I don’t see many players coming to take jobs from Janmark/Brown/Perry.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Why did they seem to move out Ceci to make cap space and then decline to match?

to be fair the player they got might actually give them similar results to Ceci for far less money. Promising results in a small sample size last year. 

Sounds like Oilers are motivated to clean up cap and focus on a mid season addition which by clearing out Ceci puts them in a position to get under the cap and accrue cap space.  Interesting strategy given their lack of assets to get said upgrade but that appears to be the motivation. 

Lots of angry Oiler fans on social media today.

I think it’s very easy fans to forget, but this is a job for the players. They’re not necessarily as “loyal” to the team as a fan. For a lot of players the team is where they work.

Any regular citizen would quit their job if offered more money elsewhere. So why shouldn’t Broberg/Holloway? Take less so they can buyout another goalie?

Lots pointing at the players for “leaving a cup contender”. Fair. But there’s no guarantee Edmonton wins the cup. And for some players, winning the cup isn’t everything. That’s hard to hear for fans, but I think it is more common than you’d like to think.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I’m convinced that most people on these forums could draft as well and likely better than Edmonton does. They are terrible at it. 

2019- it’s just Lavoie now. Low chance he makes the Oilers. Not that I’m sure he’s an NHL player anyway

2020- there’s a real chance the only NHL games they get out of that class were from Holloway.

2021- they likely get nothing out of this class. Traded Bourgault and Chiasson for Jarventie. So any games he plays, I suppose could count.

2022- they traded Schaefer in the Ekholm deal which was nice, because I don’t think he should have ever went in the 1st. Probably nothing out of this class as well.

2023- it’s too early, but when you only pick three times, once in the top 180, it’s gonna take some good fortune.

Even if McDavid stays, this window isn’t necessarily as wide open as you’d think. I think it’s a two year window. This year and next. McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard, Skinner, Ekholm are all up. The first four players likely take up 35 million.

There’s a chance the Oilers went five drafts without getting the bonus of players playing significant time on ELC’s. It’s going to bite them sooner than later. They’re the oldest team in the league right now, and will likely continue as I don’t see many players coming to take jobs from Janmark/Brown/Perry.

Totally blows my mind that they've also dont so little to fix it. They hung on to Stu Macgregor for a while and haven't overhauled that area. 

Oiler fans can make all the excuses you want but if you want to know why the Oilers haven't won a cup, or really performed as well as you'd expect since getting McDavid, you don't have to look far. It's all in their drafting and scouting. Trying to blame McDavid or someone's two way game is all noise, the organization can't draft or develop for a lick. You don't win cups unless you draft and develop well. 

On top of what you listed here:

Decided to not sign John Marino to a deal. the exact type of dman they've really needed. 

Can you imagine their outlook right now with Cole Caufield on their roster or Cam York? could have been. 

Dawson Mercer on McDavid's wing? Nope Let's take Dylan Holloway (who I thought was a reach when they picked him)

Even they time they took a player who looks like they might actually be an NHLer they've passed up on better players to do it. 

Crazy, McDavid is now the 2nd youngest forward on the NHL roster.

The blueline is a real concern 

Ekholm-Bouchard

Nurse- Emberson

Kulak-Stecher

They will need to add two D in-season. That 2026 1st round pick is as good as gone.

Theyre going to make the playoffs, but I’m not sure I see them winning the division with that group of six blueliners

File this one in the oops category.  While made sense to play others and give Ekholm and Bouchard a night off, small detail could've been thought about at the time, and without the playoffs maybe he doesn't get the offer sheet, but the guy was also not a happy camper in Edmonton for most of the season.