Flames to play 2 peaseason games in China

JTech780

25 minutes ago, Carty said:

Decent overall effort by the Flames for the first exhibition game...   Halak made some great saves for the Bruins...   Shame to lose it in a shootout...

We dominated. 

Although that's what we should expect because we had the whole NHL team and the Bruins didn't.  It was classic pressure and can't score.  One turnover and it's in our net.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Gillies needs to stop playing from his knees.  Puck moves from behind the net to the corner and he's on all fours.

I agree. I played net for my whole life. And I still can’t understand why goalies go down on every shot. Read it off the stick and adjust your movements accordingly. Goalie coaches will disagree but as long as you stop it who cares what it looks like 

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I agree. I played net for my whole life. And I still can’t understand why goalies go down on every shot. Read it off the stick and adjust your movements accordingly. Goalie coaches will disagree but as long as you stop it who cares what it looks like 

I never played net before but if the puck ever pops into the slot area and you're already down, it's easier for the shooter to pick a spot and opening.

1 hour ago, Carty said:

Decent overall effort by the Flames for the first exhibition game...   Halak made some great saves for the Bruins...   Shame to lose it in a shootout...

I think that he new additions will help the team quite a bit this season...   There were some really nice plays by Lindholm, Czarnik and Ryan  It will take a while for things to gel and for the team to build some more chemistry, but I think that we are going to see some entertaining hockey this season...

Back on the right side, Brodie looked better already...   Hanifin will do just fine after he settles in...   We might not miss Hamilton at all after a while...

Nice to have a coach that knows what a timeout is...   Peters called one with 52 seconds left in the game, changed up the PP and the Gio scored his second to tie the game...

Also good to see that Peters actually watches the game instead of relentlessly staring at the monitor in the floor of the bench...

Gillies looked a little shaky in the 1st when the Bruins scored 3 times in under 2 minutes...   The first 2 goals were a bit soft...   But then Gillies settled down and played well...   Looked like he was playing stiff in the shootout though...   Overall, Gillies still has some things to work on but showed that he has potential to stick in the bigs...   Smith will be in the net against the Bruins on Wednesday...

I think Gilles played well. Boston is a tough team. I think he will beat Rittich out in training camp. He's good when he has confidence. You'd think he shouldn't be so nervous anymore though. 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Czarnik was good.  I wasn't as impressed with Ryan though.  He seems to just be nothing special although it's just preseason.

But that line Frolik - Ryan - Czarnik on paper seems like the "leftovers" line but in some ways they work.  All smart players with speed and think the game the same.  They could be very underrated for us.

Lindholm - he didn't show much elite skills but was at the right place at the right time.  Looked like average vision, average passing, and couldn't finish when given glorious chances.  But his awareness and hockey sense is solid.

Hanifin - showed some flash.  Had the confidence to carry the puck all the way into the offensive corners looking to create something.  His lateral skating was amazing.  If he can shoot the puck, the he's going to be an offensive force.  From what I saw, he wasn't on the PP which is disappointing because there is potential there.  But what do you do when Gio and Brodie are both LHS on the PP point?  We seem to be deploying 1 D again.

Brodie - looks like Brodano never took a break.  Just so naturally worked again like it was meant to be.  It will be a great season for Brodie from the looks of it.

Hamonic - Hanifin pairing - looked like it might work.  Good size and speed here.  I'm liking it.  Will have to see if chemistry develops further.

Kulak - Stone - nothing much to write home about.

Bennett - looks good every preseason.   Every year.  Just hope this time it translates to the regular season.  He looks strong and ready.  Mid season form.

Jankowski - not sure about the whole Bennett - Jankowski line. This was one line that didn't quite click for me like.  No sync or something.

Neal - had some chances but he looked slow overall.  I know he has never been known for speed but i worry if he's not sniping, then he is not going to be the one creating the chances.  He's going to be in the doghouse.

Gillies - blocker side high.  That's where they were shooting with success.  That and I never liked Gillies style because he plays from his knees too much.  Not cutting down the angle much preferring to stay in his net.  Overall slow lateral and slow instincts.  Relies on being big alone too much.

Bit over the top analysis for the first x-game don't you think ?

Czarnik was good.  I wasn't as impressed with Ryan though.  He seems to just be nothing special although it's just preseason.

But that line Frolik - Ryan - Czarnik on paper seems like the "leftovers" line but in some ways they work.  All smart players with speed and think the game the same.  They could be very underrated for us.

Lindholm - he didn't show much elite skills but was at the right place at the right time.  Looked like average vision, average passing, and couldn't finish when given glorious chances.  But his awareness and hockey sense is solid.

Hanifin - showed some flash.  Had the confidence to carry the puck all the way into the offensive corners looking to create something.  His lateral skating was amazing.  If he can shoot the puck, the he's going to be an offensive force.  From what I saw, he wasn't on the PP which is disappointing because there is potential there.  But what do you do when Gio and Brodie are both LHS on the PP point?  We seem to be deploying 1 D again.

Brodie - looks like Brodano never took a break.  Just so naturally worked again like it was meant to be.  It will be a great season for Brodie from the looks of it.

Hamonic - Hanifin pairing - looked like it might work.  Good size and speed here.  I'm liking it.  Will have to see if chemistry develops further.

Kulak - Stone - nothing much to write home about.

Bennett - looks good every preseason.   Every year.  Just hope this time it translates to the regular season.  He looks strong and ready.  Mid season form.

Jankowski - not sure about the whole Bennett - Jankowski line. This was one line that didn't quite click for me like.  No sync or something.

Neal - had some chances but he looked slow overall.  I know he has never been known for speed but i worry if he's not sniping, then he is not going to be the one creating the chances.  He's going to be in the doghouse.

Gillies - blocker side high.  That's where they were shooting with success.  That and I never liked Gillies style because he plays from his knees too much.  Not cutting down the angle much preferring to stay in his net.  Overall slow lateral and slow instincts.  Relies on being big alone too much.

The heck game were you watching? Ryan was one of our best forwards.

Gillies needs to stop playing from his knees.  Puck moves from behind the net to the corner and he's on all fours.

Yup. Someone has got to coach him out of it.

And the high blocker M.O. and how to read pucks coming off sticks and how to challenge shooters.

I don't think the fight for backup will be a fight at all. If Gillies' timing was off I'd understand, but his mechanics are a mess imo. WTF have our goalie coaches been doing with him, nothing?

Czarnik, JG-Mony, Brodano looked fantastic.

Solid 2nd pair.

Ryan does a lot of things well, can see why Peters trusts him so much.

No complaints about any skaters really. Kulak was the worst of the skaters imo.

Hope Klimchuk gets a fair look, aka not all game 2 with Peluso, yikes!!

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Because most shots are not high but rather low shots that are covered by the goalie going down and spreading the pads out post to post.

In the old days longer shots were covered by the goalie moving out and cutting off the angles. Todays game just changes angles to circumvent that tactic.

4 hours ago, TheFan99 said:

Derek Ryan looked pretty good. I don't know how Gio keeps doing it. 35 and still holds the puck until the last second and takes the hit. Anyone think Dube can take Jankowskis spot? That kid can fly.

Let's see how Dube continues to do.  If he continues to dominate he'll have a great shot at taking someone's spot.  Looking at the line-up, it would have been nice to see a lot more speed and dynamism where Backlund was.  I think Backs can do better, and he needs to.  It was also apparent on the first PP that putting Monahan on the side or point where he has to handle the puck doesn't really work either.  He is great in the slot but got caught up high a few times and Boston really attacked him there.  Gio did look good, though its interesting how he seems to defer to TJ carrying the puck out of the zone, which is maybe why that pairing seems to work.  We'll see how things develop....

I wasn't $3-million impressed.  That's all.  Good line though.

$1.5 or $3mm, Ryan and his line were pretty solid in this game.  BP tried out all the C's on face-offs, but you may have noticed later in the third who was there, and won them, Ryan and Monahan.   

21 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Let's see how Dube continues to do.  If he continues to dominate he'll have a great shot at taking someone's spot.  Looking at the line-up, it would have been nice to see a lot more speed and dynamism where Backlund was.  I think Backs can do better, and he needs to.  It was also apparent on the first PP that putting Monahan on the side or point where he has to handle the puck doesn't really work either.  He is great in the slot but got caught up high a few times and Boston really attacked him there.  Gio did look good, though its interesting how he seems to defer to TJ carrying the puck out of the zone, which is maybe why that pairing seems to work.  We'll see how things develop....

Dube dominated the rookies for sure, as you'd expect.

He's got a ways to go when the camp is full team though.

29 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

I’d like to see Bennett, Janks, Dube. But I wanna Dube to develop more meaning playing more than 4th line minutes.

Part of the Reason there was the mistakes was listening to Gio he was saying some of the player look to much into the system and more cause they havent been practiced alot cause of less practices and that i can understand boston has the same same systems then dont have anything they are changing like calgary does so this pre-season is important win or lose the team needs to learn Bill peters Systems First and formost

6 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Part of the Reason there was the mistakes was listening to Gio he was saying some of the player look to much into the system and more cause they havent been practiced alot cause of less practices and that i can understand boston has the same same systems then dont have anything they are changing like calgary does so this pre-season is important win or lose the team needs to learn Bill peters Systems First and formost

Bill Peters has to know "systems" comes AFTER using what you have.

"System" is overrated. A few setups in different scenarios, hockey isn't strategy as much as skill.

It's the same thing as road hockey when we were 10. Turned into an industry. Same concepts apply.

GG and his pretentious, relentless, "system" went north, thank Blockchain.

3 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

Yeah but dude they still have to get use to Peters and It is alot easier Said then done

I'd actually argue the opposite.

A coach has to know his players and know when to let them run.

Enough of GG's bullSatoshi Nakamoto already.

Player's don't fall in line with coaching. A Coach coaches what he has.

It does take time for adjustments. Here’s s few things I noticed. 

I felt Bennett had a strong game much to my surprise. He looked better than his line mates. Czarnik was given every opportunity to show what he could do. Time will tell if he cracks the lineup. Neal and Lindholm weren’t horrible but looked a little slow, shy, or tentative at times with their passing. None of this is surprising as they are adjusting to a new team and players and I’m hopeful this will go away after a few games.

Liked Hanifin’s skating and reading plays. He looks like he may be worth his contract.

Aside from a few minutes in the first Gillies was square to the puck. Overall I really like what the Flames we’re creating and the control of the game.

I think Kulak puts himself in some precarious positions and he should be looking over his shoulder. He was the recipient of some big hits. Our depth is better than him on D right now. We’ll see if he gets outplayed. Stone had a decent game. Nothing flashy but stable.

It will be interesting to see what the “B” lineup will do next game. I actually think we are in for some surprises in training camp.

I actually wasn't a huge fan of the game. I felt it was a typical first preseason game with a veteran group that knows the first preseason game isn't important. I don't think they was anywhere close to their best effort which is not a negative but not going to analyze too much.  Some postivies I did like:

Czarnik was really impressive. He's flying so far in camp. I don't think we have to be concerned about being an nhler or not. 

PP looks significantly better. the results were only ok but the change in philosophy is going to pay off. Much, much better than last year. 

Saw some more aggressive play in the neutral zone. Bit of a catch 22 here as it burned them a few times and they face up some breakaways so some work to be done, but they were much more active on the neutral zone and weren't giving up the blue line as easily. The 2nd goal was a great example oh how you should play the neutral zone. 

I dont think Gilles was that bad. Needs to be better but 1 he had no chance on and the five hole goal was just a bit unlucky. He need to be more aggressive but I don't agree they need to tweak his style. When your are as big as he you should play to utilize your strengths and he does. He needs to be more aggressive though as if he came out a little more that high side blocker would be a really really tough spot to pick. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I actually wasn't a huge fan of the game. I felt it was a typical first preseason game with a veteran group that knows the first preseason game isn't important. I don't think they was anywhere close to their best effort which is not a negative but not going to analyze too much.  Some postivies I did like:

Czarnik was really impressive. He's flying so far in camp. I don't think we have to be concerned about being an nhler or not. 

PP looks significantly better. the results were only ok but the change in philosophy is going to pay off. Much, much better than last year. 

Saw some more aggressive play in the neutral zone. Bit of a catch 22 here as it burned them a few times and they face up some breakaways so some work to be done, but they were much more active on the neutral zone and weren't giving up the blue line as easily. The 2nd goal was a great example oh how you should play the neutral zone. 

I dont think Gilles was that bad. Needs to be better but 1 he had no chance on and the five hole goal was just a bit unlucky. He need to be more aggressive but I don't agree they need to tweak his style. When your are as big as he you should play to utilize your strengths and he does. He needs to be more aggressive though as if he came out a little more that high side blocker would be a really really tough spot to pick. 

I thought Gilles showed some real character in how he fought back by making some very good saves and keeping the team in it.

Good efforts all around for their 1st and the Chinese got to see a close game.

Archived