Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

Just now, conundrumed said:

I had to listen twice, lol. The volume wasn't great. Just couldn't see him saying impulsive, or he'd be facing backlash for implying Aliu is lying. lol

it’s a hard situation all around 

18 minutes ago, CalgarySTL said:

Did I write that?... no... you're living in imaginary land... where everyone is a racist to you. I said to automatically fire someone without due process is wrong & stupid.... but, you don't seem to understand common sense

and for me it was more the fact you said overly sensitive, and it’s hard to take when you’re of a people that has taken a lot of, “just get over it,” “you’re being overly sensitive...” it’s not that you were saying that about the Aliu situation, but referring to other situations where that might have taken place. So I wasn’t talking just about the Aliu situation because you referred to Don Cherry as the reaction as problematic and an overreaction. 

So I am sorry for being overly sensitive. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, CalgarySTL said:

Look clown, i've had racial slurs thrown at me (more than once, for no reason)... I don't go around with a chip on my shoulder, claiming everyone is a racist.... AND I SAID, IF HE DID IT, HE SHOULD BE FIRED. Why don't you read before you stand on your SJW soapbox

PS. if you think there aren't false allegations ALL THE TIME. Than you don't live in reality

Okay folks.

Feel free to have your opinions, but DO NOT ATTACK one another.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Okay folks.

Feel free to have your opinions, but DO NOT ATTACK one another.

I will stop. 

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

and for me it was more the fact you said overly sensitive, and it’s hard to take when you’re of a people that has taken a lot of, “just get over it,” “you’re being overly sensitive...” it’s not that you were saying that about the Aliu situation, but referring to other situations where that might have taken place. So I wasn’t talking just about the Aliu situation because you referred to Don Cherry as the reaction as problematic and an overreaction. 

So I am sorry for being overly sensitive. 

I do not want to offend you. I do not agree with racism at all. There are many examples of people that have been wrongly accused. Everyone deserves a fair "trial". I am disgusted with the culture these days that doesn't allow that.

As i stated "it sounds like he did it" but, people deserve due process

9 minutes ago, CalgarySTL said:

I will stop. 

I do not want to offend you. I do not agree with racism at all. There are many examples of people that have been wrongly accused. Everyone deserves a fair "trial". I am disgusted with the culture these days that doesn't allow that.

As i stated "it sounds like he did it" but, people deserve due process

I agree as well. For me it was that he had already talked to Aliu and a few of his teammates. 

it is crappy it has come to this. 

Sorry I was feeding into it as well. 
I just think people want to be heard now. 

I believe that it can be resolved and that Peters shouldn’t lose his career, but he definitely needs to make amends to rectify the situation. For me it is hard to view it as sincere with it being so far in the past without already doing it and it being a reaction to Aliu now.

we also don’t know if Peters still feels that way. I doubt he’d do it again.

I am not perfect and had a role to play in the discussion. 

The more I think about it ..I see this ending well for Peters only one way..

1. He holds a press conference , with Aliu at the table..spills his guts and makes an honest and heartfelt apology not only to him but to everyone

2. An anonymous poll done by BT with the players to whether to keep him on

Cuz really it comes down to, has he learned and has he changed , and can the players in the room still play for him and respect him 

2 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Personally i think the only way this goes is with him fired if it was only the flames then maybe he stays on this isnt the Nhl is in this and if he is guilty he is gone

I do believe it will end that way..just saying that one scenario is the only way I could see it not happening 

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

The more I think about it ..I see this ending well for Peters only one way..

1. He holds a press conference , with Aliu at the table..spills his guts and makes an honest and heartfelt apology not only to him but to everyone

2. An anonymous poll done by BT with the players to whether to keep him on

Cuz really it comes down to, has he learned and has he changed , and can the players in the room still play for him and respect him 

Gettin uglier by the minute for Bill. Even if he did that & tried to make amends... it would probably be best to show him the door. It looks like he's got multiple skeletons in the closet.

IMO I think he has already been let go. I think right now Treliving is buying time to formulate a plan of action for the team going forward, ie who is coaching the team the rest of the way, how do they deal with the media fall out and legal ramifications.

This is some serious stuff and the team has to be very careful how it handles this going forward.

They also need to make sure they have the person whom they want coaching the team for the rest the season in place before making official announcements.

If the Flames decide to retain Peters, I am fine with that. I would expect them to ensure that this behaviour was a rare occurrence and that this is not a pattern. A sincere apology clearly outlining how this happened, how it might have impacted others, and some effort to address the matter is in order. For all we know, Peters acknowledged the inappropriate conduct on his part years ago and has made amends somehow. Perhaps he has already participated in a program in Carolina to address racism or combat some other form of hatred. If this was exceptional conduct, then Treliving might choose to stick with him and that might be the moral choice to make. If there is a pattern here over time and several players demonstrate as much, then Treliving might have no choice but to fire him.

When a person errs, they need not be terminated. The so-called "outraged left" certainly does not believe as such because the whole idea surrounding racism is that everyone is impacted by racial ideology to some extent. Just being aware of prejudices indicates as much.

I was surprised when Cherry was fired for several problematic outbursts over the years that the only group of people not blamed for it was Sportsnet who actually did it. Funny that.

13 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Of all the people to break this story.

One of the worst "journalists" out there.

Another Shock Jock if you ask me.

But, adieu BP.

Flames need to get past this with the players.

Some may believe in him, but all it takes is a handful of players that doubt him.

If the room wasn't broken before, it is now,.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

But, adieu BP.

Some may believe in him, but all it takes is a handful of players that doubt him.

It could bring them together. Kylington has come out and stated that he has never experienced racism while playing for the Flames. That could bode well.

So, I wonder how much of our slump was the result of poor play, Brodie being out of the lineup, or this satoshi? Did anyone on the team, and thus everyone, know that this was going to break in advance?

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Story here. 2 teammates back up the story. 

I'll be surprised if Peters is the coach at the end of the day today. 

Edit:

Whether you like him or not, Francis is pretty plugged into the Flames organization

So Peters made comments to the lyrics of some music now he is a racist. On the surface this doesn`t look good, but I can tell you that if anyone has the upper hand here is Peters. I have a few issues to bring up. 

1) If and I mean IF there has to be 100% clear evidence  to verify that remarks were  made `directly to the individual or about the individual` he is not guilty. IF he was just referencing music and the lyrics of the music, the individual in question should not be offended by someone referencing to the content. 

2) The Flames,  the NHL, Akim and any others are in a world of hurt if Peters is removed from his duties with out 100% certainty. IF and WHen he is removed there will have been found substantial evidence that validates Akims position. 

3) Akim if he can not validate that he was singled out in an attack from Peters based on Race, ethnicity or religion and this affects Peters ability to make a living by tarnishing his personal and professional image, Peters has one great lawsuit in place.

4) How is it that Carolina, Chicago, Team Canada, the NHL  and the Flames, had ZERO indications that there was ever an issue with his conduct and his alleged treatment of players. 

From what I have read so far the allegations were in reference to lyrics of music not the individual. Has  Peters in the past had words that cut deep, sure who has not, there is no room for racial degradation in any form. The racial indictment, if found valid is and should be found as a removable offense. Should and does this warrant an investigation, Yes. However, the Flames, NHL must tread extremely cautious on this, impulse decisions can not be made. Peters is best to stay low, the damage is done unfortunately, he has already been painted with this regardless of how it plays out. Tough times 

1 minute ago, Cowtownguy said:

It could bring them together. Kylington has come out and stated that he has never experienced racism while playing for the Flames. That could bode well.

So, I wonder how much of our slump was the result of poor play, Brodie being out of the lineup, or this satoshi? Did anyone on the team, and thus everyone, know that this was going to break in advance?

I think that's going to be a difficult thing with the situation.

What happened before is not a direct relation to his coaching in Calgary.

What legal standing do they have to fire him now?

10 years ago he could have been fired on the spot.

The only way they can get around this is performance.

It's really only a sub-text to the reason to fire him.

His (previous) actions and comments don't represent the values of the Flames.

SportsNet may also have an issue with being a sponsor (as will other sponsors).

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

But, adieu BP.

Fricken social media leaches come out eh? "Bill Peters stole my dreams, my childhood, and I am one of the lucky ones ...

1 minute ago, tmac70 said:

From what I have read so far the allegations were in reference to lyrics of music not the individual. Has  Peters in the past had words that cut deep, sure who has not, there is no room for racial degradation in any form. The racial indictment, if found valid is and should be found as a removable offense. Should and does this warrant an investigation, Yes. However, the Flames, NHL must tread extremely cautious on this, impulse decisions can not be made. Peters is best to stay low, the damage is done unfortunately, he has already been painted with this regardless of how it plays out. Tough times 

Well, the thought of was he  "trying to be funny"  with his comments regarding the lyrics, did cross my mind (& if he was joking, it's not very funny). But, you can't be that stupid, using certain words that are "off limits" like that. Also, it seems as though there's quite a few others that have negative things to say / incidents about him coming out of the woodwork.

The team doesn't need to deal with a media Satoshi Nakamoto storm, every time they hit the ice. The way the mainstream media is, they would have to answer for it EVERY DAY.  

Damage has already been done.  If Peters feels like he's been pigeonholed, he may have to take civil action against the people making accusations (libel). It doesn't look good for him though.

34 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

If the Flames decide to retain Peters, I am fine with that. I would expect them to ensure that this behaviour was a rare occurrence and that this is not a pattern. A sincere apology clearly outlining how this happened, how it might have impacted others, and some effort to address the matter is in order. For all we know, Peters acknowledged the inappropriate conduct on his part years ago and has made amends somehow. Perhaps he has already participated in a program in Carolina to address racism or combat some other form of hatred. If this was exceptional conduct, then Treliving might choose to stick with him and that might be the moral choice to make. If there is a pattern here over time and several players demonstrate as much, then Treliving might have no choice but to fire him.

When a person errs, they need not be terminated. The so-called "outraged left" certainly does not believe as such because the whole idea surrounding racism is that everyone is impacted by racial ideology to some extent. Just being aware of prejudices indicates as much.

I was surprised when Cherry was fired for several problematic outbursts over the years that the only group of people not blamed for it was Sportsnet who actually did it. Funny that.

I am not sure how anyone can be fine with the team retaining Peters after all of the allegations have come out and been corroborated. 

Quite honestly the things Peters has said and done has no place on the team I have cheered for my entire life, and if he is kept around, there has to be compelling evidence that he didn't do the things being said. I just don't think that evidence exists. So if he is on the bench tomorrow, I may have to rethink my support for this management and quite possibly the team as a whole.

I think there is zero chance of Peters coaching in Calgary and I 100% support that decision.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So if he is on the bench tomorrow, I may have to rethink my support for this management and quite possibly the team as a whole.

This precisely is why he has to go.. and you can bet calls between BT and Murray Edwards have already happened 

People can make mistakes, they can grow, they can be forgiven..

Brand Damage .. is lingering , never goes away 

Archived