Fire Cameron

kehatch

I can not wait until this guy is gone from the Flames. I absolutely hate watching our PP. I usually would go and get a snack or surf the net when the Flames are on PP. If I watch our PP, my blood would boiled and I would be cursing at the the TV. Sometime my little girl watch the game with me so I can't cursed at the TV. Even writing this message, I am getting all worked up.

It is time that we all collectively petition BT to fire Cameron. Thank you Kehatch for starting this thread!

With the PP so dismal you wonder how Cameron has kept his job?  The only 3 reasons I can come up with is.

1) Cameron has made bold PP promises that should be coming into play the next short while.

2) Burke, BT, GG feel confident enough in their positions that not making the playoffs will not cost them their jobs. So unwilling to upset the cart.

3) Management feels with the current play we are in an easy position to make the play offs.

Well if we don't make the playoffs!!!!

2 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Well if we don't make the playoffs!!!!

(Heads will roll)

And so they should. Not that my opinion matters, but I'll be livid if they're on the outside this year. I don't have anything invested in this team except for love, but this year has been a rollercoaster. I don't understand how any reasonable GM could think that Travis Hamonic was worth the same as Dougie Hamilton, and that unprotected first round pick should cost him his job if we just gifted the Islanders a lottery pick - and I actually really like Travis Hamonic, at least, in terms of personality. And don't even get me started on the power play... Or the player usage... Or the lack of secondary scoring... 

Love. 

On 2/13/2018 at 7:39 PM, kehatch said:

Then fire Gulutzan for hiring Cameron. Special teams is killing this team. Enough is enough. Time for a change. 

This is disturbing: according to Kristen Anderson's article in the sun who quoted Gulutzan:

"Gulutzan is not overly concerned.

“Puck needs to go in,” the head coach said. “We had nine shots the other night (against the Rangers). We got one (goal) on the Island. (Tuesday) night, I thought we had some looks and had a couple chances early that didn’t go in. I think we’re in the (offensive) zone. We’re generating shots and opportunities. But it just has to go in."

Calm down everyone, #thepuckjusthastogoin

I'm not a fan of Cameron but let's still be honest for a second, they are not going to fire a coach this late in the season. You have to have a replacement in mind who is willing to come in and do the job and want to do the job so who is that and does it make you better? Does Paul Maclean really want to join a team half way through the season when he has so little practice time to install his own version? I'm going to guess no. You bring Gelinas down from the booth but hasn't he been on the staff already? What is he going to do differently and doesn't he share some blame for the results anyway? So what do you do?

Change the philosophy and overhauls the pp? Not easy to do when you don't have much practice time left. 

Switch out all the players and play around with the alignment? Already done, to mixed results. 

Make a trade to give yourself a scorer/PP weapon? Possible but are the assets there to do it?

You've got to work with what you've got. We can debate schemes, philosophies, coaches etc but at the end of the day I also see a TON of player error and poor execution. At this point, it's in their head and they've lost confidence in what they are doing. Hockey isn't complex, so when you have a unit as bad as the Flames PP Is a lot of that is confidence and execution, so as a coach do you berate and beat down an already broken down group or do you work with what you've got and push them to try and get it going by staying positive?

Unfortunately this late in the season there isn't a quick fix as much as we want their to be. I think Gulutzan is right to believe in his guys and I think he's right that if they could get on a roll they would be fine. Relax, stop clutching the stick, stop over thinking and just play. 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

I'm not a fan of Cameron but let's still be honest for a second, they are not going to fire a coach this late in the season. You have to have a replacement in mind who is willing to come in and do the job and want to do the job so who is that and does it make you better? Does Paul Maclean really want to join a team half way through the season when he has so little practice time to install his own version? I'm going to guess no. You bring Gelinas down from the booth but hasn't he been on the staff already? What is he going to do differently and doesn't he share some blame for the results anyway? So what do you do?

Change the philosophy and overhauls the pp? Not easy to do when you don't have much practice time left. 

Switch out all the players and play around with the alignment? Already done, to mixed results. 

Make a trade to give yourself a scorer/PP weapon? Possible but are the assets there to do it?

You've got to work with what you've got. We can debate schemes, philosophies, coaches etc but at the end of the day I also see a TON of player error and poor execution. At this point, it's in their head and they've lost confidence in what they are doing. Hockey isn't complex, so when you have a unit as bad as the Flames PP Is a lot of that is confidence and execution, so as a coach do you berate and beat down an already broken down group or do you work with what you've got and push them to try and get it going by staying positive?

Unfortunately this late in the season there isn't a quick fix as much as we want their to be. I think Gulutzan is right to believe in his guys and I think he's right that if they could get on a roll they would be fine. Relax, stop clutching the stick, stop over thinking and just play. 

I think that you might be correct about the timing. Maybe it is not feasible to fire him right now, and maybe there is no obvious viable alternative. I suspect that you are also correct in terms of player execution to an extent. Having granted you that, I still believe Cameron has to go. I don't care if it is at the end of the season or earlier. The only thing consistent about our PP is that it is ineffective. They are not moving around enough, they cannot cycle, make passes, or get shots on net. The whole thing looks really slow. I do not see what Cameron brings to the table.

44 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I think that you might be correct about the timing. Maybe it is not feasible to fire him right now, and maybe there is no obvious viable alternative. I suspect that you are also correct in terms of player execution to an extent. Having granted you that, I still believe Cameron has to go. I don't care if it is at the end of the season or earlier. The only thing consistent about our PP is that it is ineffective. They are not moving around enough, they cannot cycle, make passes, or get shots on net. The whole thing looks really slow. I do not see what Cameron brings to the table.

Baring the flames going on a run and winning multiple rounds i completely agree they likely need to move on in the offseason.  

Just dont think it will will happen before then. 

10 hours ago, cross16 said:

Baring the flames going on a run and winning multiple rounds i completely agree they likely need to move on in the offseason.  

Just dont think it will will happen before then. 

agree, IF they were going to make changes would have been the off week, or the all star break.

now stuck with what we have, and i really think they need to toss this staff under microscope in off-season regardless of what happens.

3/4 mark in season for them to decide to actually start adjusting is a sign of coaching staff being unsure/cautious/stubborn what have you.

But this is basically back to back seasons where takes that long to figure it out. (last season was excuse adjust to new system, this season was none)

Replacing Cameron with someone from the outside at this point in the season would be difficult...   But Cameron should still be shown the door...

The question that Gully, Treliving and Burke should have already asked themselves a while back still needs to be addressed...   Could they do any worse?...   

They could write down half a dozen other PP strategies on a brostol board, then take turns putting on a blindfold and throwing a dart at it to pick one before a game, and overall this seasons record for the PP couldn't be much more pitiful...

Maybe Gully should take over the PP...   If he can't, that says something about his abilities as a coach, for that matter, so does his allowing the PP to languish as long as he has already......    He's got the time between the games and during practice, and he also has the time during the game...   All he has to do is quit staring down at that damn floor monitor so much...

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Cameron's PP has been producing pretty good lately.  Does that mean we are "re-signing" him soon?  LOL 

I think he should resign.  Not re-sign.

Funny how purring Hammy on the top unit immediately saw the Flames go from 0-19 to 1/3, 1/4, 2/5, etc.

To be fair, it's not as dangerous a PP as many teams has.  We have Tkachuk, though.

Archived