2017 development camp

Cowtownguy

1. NHL

2. AHL

3. ECHL

Self-explanatory? 1 is to 2 as 2 is to 3...

Are you implying Parsons in the echl?

Alright then, bring on camp.

2nd camp, nerves out of the way this kid is a great goalie.

Get behind the mule. Tkachuk knows it, lol.

We've got some kinda goalie coming up, likely the best the O has...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

THX TD that was a very good summary. People say this was a weak draft but I think we ended up with 3 really good players.

I am really glad we got Valamaki. Some mock drafts had him going higher. 

When reading up on all the players prior to the mocks, I felt like he was one of the ones I wanted most. It felt like a D draft this year for us (in the 1st round). 

It sounds like we have some good prospects. No other greats, but a few with a lot of upside. 

I hope Poirier can keep up this progression. He was a bright spot a few years ago, and should be maturing physically now, especially after his reinvented self...

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

1. NHL

2. AHL

3. ECHL

Self-explanatory? 1 is to 2 as 2 is to 3...

Are you implying Parsons in the echl?

Alright then, bring on camp.

2nd camp, nerves out of the way this kid is a great goalie.

Get behind the mule. Tkachuk knows it, lol.

We've got some kinda goalie coming up, likely the best the O has...

Self explanatory for those that pay attention which is why I was wondering the level of competition in both. I understand the AHL teams are the holding tanks for players moving up but it seems we could have a surplus for the AHL and some BT will have no choice but to put in the ECHL. I don't know what they will do with Parsons, what would you do with him ?

18 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Self explanatory for those that pay attention which is why I was wondering the level of competition in both. I understand the AHL teams are the holding tanks for players moving up but it seems we could have a surplus for the AHL and some BT will have no choice but to put in the ECHL. I don't know what they will do with Parsons, what would you do with him ?

Are the players in the E better than Jr? I'd have him duke it out with the A kids and the loser goes the E route. Either way, it's a good problem to have, to push them all.

28 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I am really glad we got Valamaki. Some mock drafts had him going higher. 

When reading up on all the players prior to the mocks, I felt like he was one of the ones I wanted most. It felt like a D draft this year for us (in the 1st round). 

It sounds like we have some good prospects. No other greats, but a few with a lot of upside. 

I hope Poirier can keep up this progression. He was a bright spot a few years ago, and should be maturing physically now, especially after his reinvented self...

I think we went with BPA with some size and he happens to be a defenseman. The defenseman I see replacing Giordano one day which makes this draft a day in history. I have said this in the past about Poirier and I think he could be a real good middle 6 LW or RW like Frolik. Hopefully he can stay clean and regain his proper place in the depth chart.

Ruzicka C and Fischer RW are two that I think we will here from in the future. I see they have Shinkaruk playing some C as well which may enhance his chances to play up. Two other defensemen that sound interesting to have are Ollias-Mattsson and Healey.

Just now, robrob74 said:

Are the players in the E better than Jr? I'd have him duke it out with the A kids and the loser goes the E route. Either way, it's a good problem to have, to push them all.

I think wherever he will get the most games in because that is what development is all about. Personally I think London would be best for him to stay the man and in a winning culture.

6 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think we went with BPA with some size and he happens to be a defenseman. The defenseman I see replacing Giordano one day which makes this draft a day in history. I have said this in the past about Poirier and I think he could be a real good middle 6 LW or RW like Frolik. Hopefully he can stay clean and regain his proper place in the depth chart.

Ruzicka C and Fischer RW are two that I think we will here from in the future. I see they have Shinkaruk playing some C as well which may enhance his chances to play up. Two other defensemen that sound interesting to have are Ollias-Mattsson and Healey.

Thats great! It's slowly coming together. 

It sounds like Mangiapane is an extra year in the A and he's ready to start competing for a spot. We have some decent (sounding) middling players in the system. 

I also agree, wherever Parsons gets the most starts is where he should be. 

I almost want to break Rittitch and Gillies up for that purpose as well. 

A: Rittich or Gillies

E: as above

J: Parsons

i understand a guy has to earn it. But where is the fine line drawn where you gotta give the guy starts to keep the development going?

although, Rinne played back up throughout Jr in his home country and their goalie coach or something tipped a Preds scout that he's that good...

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

It's what Parsons will do himself. The possibility that he is our top goalie prospect isn't unrealistic, imho.

Someone is losing a spot in the A. I can see Parsons eating up the A and being a young NHLer.

How tirelessly London was scouted for so many players...we grabbed the top 2, unless you love Juolevi....

Move along, nothing to see here lol.

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

For the most part the guys who are "too good" for junior move on to E and then too good for the E move on the A, the talent pool gets smaller and smaller as you go.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It's what Parsons will do himself. The possibility that he is our top goalie prospect isn't unrealistic, imho.

Someone is losing a spot in the A. I can see Parsons eating up the A and being a young NHLer.

How tirelessly London was scouted for so many players...we grabbed the top 2, unless you love Juolevi....

I think it would make sense to rotate the three goalies (Gillies, Rittich, Parsons) we have between start in the A, backup in the A, and starter in the E.

As much as I think Parsons will be the one to be the starter in Calgary eventually, we need to see what we have in Gillies, and to a lesser extent Rittich.

Gillies has the size, but needs to be more consistent.

Rittich was lights out at times, but inconsistent.

Parsons is still very young and needs to plays a ton.

Not an ideal situation, but better than no having any.

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

To a degree then it is up to management and what their game plan is for everyone. The way I see it right now is Rittich is in the AHL and the first line of back up for injuries. All of Gilles, MacDonald, Schneider and Parsons are all still developing. I don't think Parsons bumps Gilles so he is either back to London or ECHL.

22 hours ago, jjgallow said:

wanna try anyway?

I was impressed about the confidence he inspires rather quickly. After watching him, you expect him to make saves. He is athletic and solid/calm on scrambles right in front of the net. I think that is because he positions himself so well. I don't think that Carey Price was going to save that one on Foo. In real time, it was simply amazing work on Foo's part. Pollack snapped one on him without a screen, but Pollack really ripped that shot and he was in close. I had a hard time tracking the puck being behind the net. So, I was quite impressed. MacDonald looked shakier than when I have watched him before. Schneider looked good.

On a scale of 1-7, I would put MacDonald at a 4.5-5, Schneider at 5, and Parsons at 6+. He seems to be progressing quite nicely.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Just saw that the Leafs don't have room to sign a college grad Dominic Toninato  of the U of MINN. He is a 6'2, 190 lb C and we need this position in Stockton.

Anyone know if we have room to sign him come Aug 15th  or should we ?

I think we have the room in terms of contracts and spots in the AAA, but I dont know anything about the player to tell you if we should sign him. His numbers look decent for his last year in college, that he should at least be able to transition to the pro game at some level. 

On 7/7/2017 at 6:35 PM, travel_dude said:

I thought you might appreciate that one.

Points man.  Only comparison that applies.
If Foo could get 15 goals in his rookie NHL season, I think it would be a pretty good start.

Not a lot of data out there for ECAC, but Janko had an NHL equivalent of 34.4

Johnny's last season was an NHLe of 67.24, IIRC.

Food for thought.  

Sounds like ARI will be looking to put Keller on Dvorak's wing.

They did well, imho, adding Hjalmarsson, Stepan and Raanta.

With D. Strome, Keller, Chychrun, Perlini and Crouse coming up, I have a hard time thinking they'll be a bottom feeder again.

Left out Duclair on purpose...

Very sound prospects to add to Domi and Dvorak.

I think Chayka's quietly doing a good job there. Showing a lot of patience. The Stepan and Hjalmarsson signings look like exactly what they need, excellent role players with leadership. Stepan's $6.5 per is too rich, but he's a great 200 ft C that I'd liken to Backlund.

Not sure how NYR replace him, they like to lose solid NHL Centers apparently, add in Dubinsky.

Solid acquisitions by Chayka. You don't need star power to get better, a coupla bonafide NHLers that play the game you want will go a long way for them.

The addition of Hjalmarsson takes their D to respectable, imho.

I'm shocked Chicago traded him, that's gonna hurt, a lot.

Does Chicago have some stud netminder that I'm unaware of?

They traded their best stay-at-home dman, lol.

Crawford's value is about to hit the toilet, imho.

ARI's getting interesting. I'm very interested in them this coming year.

I guarantee they have an unmatched prospect pool.

If and how it translates will be fun to watch.

Hjalmarsson was available, wow.

3 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I was impressed about the confidence he inspires rather quickly. After watching him, you expect him to make saves. He is athletic and solid/calm on scrambles right in front of the net. I think that is because he positions himself so well. I don't think that Carey Price was going to save that one on Foo. In real time, it was simply amazing work on Foo's part. Pollack snapped one on him without a screen, but Pollack really ripped that shot and he was in close. I had a hard time tracking the puck being behind the net. So, I was quite impressed. MacDonald looked shakier than when I have watched him before. Schneider looked good.

On a scale of 1-7, I would put MacDonald at a 4.5-5, Schneider at 5, and Parsons at 6+. He seems to be progressing quite nicely.

That's encouraging, thanks.    

I think I confuse people on here sometimes because I'll often talk about holding back players (F's and D's) in the minors for good development...

And then with goalies, I'll suggest the opposite.

Such is the case here.  I'd really like to see Parsons in the AHL this year.    There's an obvious glut there at the moment, so it's unlikely I'll get my wish, I stand by it.

The ECHL is a great place to develop a future NHL backup.  The true great NHL starters most went straight to the AHL route, or a comparable overseas route (or straight to the NHL).

For forwards and Ds, I think the extra time in the minors allows them to develop in that first line role.   which is quite frankly a very different role than 3rd and 4th lines.  But for goalies, that's just not a thing.     Also, I think there is a superstition about goalies.   I do not subscribe to the theory that all goalies develop later.  Many do, yes.  But many are also held back because the more senior goalies in the system attain some kind of "good luck charm" status.   And coaches go with them far longer than they should, for the risk mitigation of "knowing what they have".

Alas, such could be the case in our AHL system this year.   IMHO, Gillies and Riitich either need to make an NHL lineup, or at least one of them needs to step aside.   

I am hoping for Gillies, but starting to think Parsons may actually be our more likely hope.  With any luck, Gillies comes in strong this year, his injury issues past him.  If he does, I hope the Flames will consider giving him a shot.  And if they do, Parsons should easily swoop in on the AHL vacancy.

59 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

The ECHL is a great place to develop a future NHL backup.  The true great NHL starters most went straight to the AHL route, or a comparable overseas route (or straight to the NHL).

Thats not really true. Quick, Holtby, Dubnyk, as a couple examples all played time in the ECHL, and by time I mean a full season. Theres nothing wrong with playing a season in the ECHL as a NHL goaltender. While some guys such as matt murray jumped straight into the AHL, or bobrovsky who came straight from the KHL into the league. There is no saying that the ECHL is a place to develop a NHL back up.

Also the flames will likely see gillies/rittich in the AHL for another year, with parsons taking the big workload in the ECHL if they want to move on from Mcdonald. But whats more likely is parsons goes back to junior for another season, with mcdonald continuing to get work in the ECHL, nothing wrong with that development path for goalies.

56 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

That's encouraging, thanks.    

I think I confuse people on here sometimes because I'll often talk about holding back players (F's and D's) in the minors for good development...

And then with goalies, I'll suggest the opposite.

Such is the case here.  I'd really like to see Parsons in the AHL this year.    There's an obvious glut there at the moment, so it's unlikely I'll get my wish, I stand by it.

For forwards and Ds, I think the extra time in the minors allows them to develop in that first line role.   which is quite frankly a very different role than 3rd and 4th lines.  But for goalies, that's just not a thing.     Also, I think there is a superstition about goalies.   I do not subscribe to the theory that all goalies develop later.  Many do, yes.  But many are also held back because the more senior goalies in the system attain some kind of "good luck charm" status.   And coaches go with them far longer than they should, for the risk mitigation of "knowing what they have".

Alas, such could be the case in our AHL system this year.   IMHO, Gillies and Riitich either need to make an NHL lineup, or at least one of them needs to step aside.   

I am hoping for Gillies, but starting to think Parsons may actually be our more likely hope.  With any luck, Gillies comes in strong this year, his injury issues past him.  If he does, I hope the Flames will consider giving him a shot.  And if they do, Parsons should easily swoop in on the AHL vacancy.

It obviously isn't the game plan for either Rittich or Gilles to make the Flames team so why set your expectations as such. BT has said both Gilles and Rittich need another year in the AHL.

On 7/7/2017 at 4:38 PM, conundrumed said:

I don't think so...

I don't view Vesey in the same light as you do...I think he's extremely average.

Do you have a better example? Vesey was hyped a ton. He's an okay NHLer, unless you're expecting him to explode anytime soon.

I'm not.

Here are some recent undrafted  college FA's that should show a better example of players that have gone to have pretty good NHL careers. I am not saying Foo is going to be great but he could very well add some more skill to the bottom 6 and maybe in the future move to a top 6 role. These players my not all had HOF careers but did put together above average careers.

1. Rich Peverley

2. Curtis Glenncross

3. Chris Kunitz

4. Dustin Penner

5. Dan Boyle

6. Martin St. Louis

1 hour ago, Dmac1103 said:

Here are some recent undrafted  college FA's that should show a better example of players that have gone to have pretty good NHL careers. I am not saying Foo is going to be great but he could very well add some more skill to the bottom 6 and maybe in the future move to a top 6 role. These players my not all had HOF careers but did put together above average careers.

1. Rich Peverley

2. Curtis Glenncross

3. Chris Kunitz

4. Dustin Penner

5. Dan Boyle

6. Martin St. Louis

Why not top 6 skill on this team ? nothing says anymore that a player has to start bottom 6 and work his way up.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Why not top 6 skill on this team ? nothing says anymore that a player has to start bottom 6 and work his way up.

He had a good development camp, for sure.  My takeaway on that, is he's likely to make the Flames.  Which is great.

I don't personally think that warrants top 6 consideration, nor do his US College numbers.

But anything's possible.

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

It obviously isn't the game plan for either Rittich or Gilles to make the Flames team so why set your expectations as such. BT has said both Gilles and Rittich need another year in the AHL.

It's not an expectation, just my own opinion.  I think the intended path for them has been clearly set by the Flames GM.   Also noteworthy, is that most of our goaltending paths set out by that GM have not gone anywhere near as planned.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

It's not an expectation, just my own opinion.  I think the intended path for them has been clearly set by the Flames GM.   Also noteworthy, is that most of our goaltending paths set out by that GM have not gone anywhere near as planned.

Even the best laid plans can go wrong. I like the sequence of order now though with Smith, Lack, Rittich (should injury occur). This will keep both Gilles and Parsons on their development paths.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

He had a good development camp, for sure.  My takeaway on that, is he's likely to make the Flames.  Which is great.

I don't personally think that warrants top 6 consideration, nor do his US College numbers.

But anything's possible.

If he can play and perform with Gaudreau and Monahan turn him loose. If he can't put him in Stockton.

Archived