2017 development camp

Cowtownguy

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

In this Calgary Herald interview, GG intends to start Ferland at 1st line RW:

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/qa-flames-coach-glen-gulutzan-excited-by-solid-defence-maturing-forwards

To me, it sounds like we're going to stay status quo from last year. It's not really what I want us to do, but I'm not going to pretend I know better than the org, lol.

I'd like us to get creative re Bennett and Jankowski, as I don't think breaking up the 3M line is in the cards.

I would rather get Janksy 12 minutes/gm as a winger vs 6-8 minutes as a 4C.

He was pretty non-committal about putting Ferland on the top line.  He said that is the plan, but it will depend on how he comes in to camp.  Also, things will change as camp progresses. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, kehatch said:

He was pretty non-committal about putting Ferland on the top line.  He said that is the plan, but it will depend on how he comes in to camp.  Also, things will change as camp progresses. 

More committal than non imho:

WG: Does Micheal Ferland open training camp as your first-line right-winger and, if so, how does he keep that slot?

GG: “Yeah, the way I look at things the way they are right now, that’s where I would put Ferly. But it also depends on how he comes to camp.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

More committal than non imho:

WG: Does Micheal Ferland open training camp as your first-line right-winger and, if so, how does he keep that slot?

GG: “Yeah, the way I look at things the way they are right now, that’s where I would put Ferly. But it also depends on how he comes to camp.

Starting camp on the top line, assuming they sgn nobody else.  Doesn't mention the season.  

21 hours ago, travel_dude said:

If you are going with Tkachuk-Bennett, then my feeling is that a skill player is the best choice to complement them.  Someone that thinks the game at a high level.  For some reason, Lazar doesn't strike me that way.  I think Lazar would be better suited playing with a distributer.  

Here's some crazy talk.  Play Lazar on Backlund's line and Versteeg (or Foo) on Bennett's line.

Frolik-Backlund-Lazar

Tkachuk-Bennett-Versteeg(Foo)

Lazar drives to the net and has great setup guys.  He already has 2-way abilities, but he plays with stable, talented guys.  

Bennett gets a crap disturber on one side to draw the defense, while Versteeg is distributing them on the right.  I added Foo in the mix if he is NHL ready, as he seems to me to be a similar player to Versteeg.  

I think you are underestimating or not seeing the same talent aspects I have seen with Lazar. I think he lacks the experience of a Versteeg but he does think the game well. I don't have any problem seeing Versteeg with Tkachuk and Bennett on their RW. You say Lazar needs a distributor so why not have him with our best distributor JG ? In order to make the JG/SM successful IMO has always been to have a similar threat to JG as a distributor/passer/scorer. I think Lazar can be all of these things plus he has good size for corner work and he does play a responsible two way game. Rather than disturb anything that works with Backlund and Frolik's preferred positions we can put Ferland on their LW who I think is ideal for them. Part of this season and definitely next I think you put Foo with Tkachuk and Bennett .

20 hours ago, kehatch said:

Another outside the box one that likely won't happen. 

Gaudreau-Bennett-Brouwer

• I have always liked the potential match of Gaudrea with Bennett.  In some ways they are redundant.  But I am always a fan of combining skill with skill.  
  • Brouwer gives you the net presence.  
  • If you want to get Bennett and Brouwer both going this is a good way to do it

Tkachuk-Monahan-Versteeg

• Tkachuk and Versteeg are both play makers and Monahan is the teams best finisher.  

Ferland-Backlund-Frolik

• Backlund and Frolik are obvious.  Ferland is a good 2-way player with finishing ability.  

Hamilton-Stajan-Lazar

• This is a functional fourth line with some bite, energy, and the ability to take d-zone draws when needed

This combination gives you a spark plug on each line (Bennett, Tkachuk, Ferland, Hamilton).  it also gives you three solid lines.  

I could see where you would get more bang for your buck using Gaudreau, Bennett and Brouwer together. I also think your 2nd line would work as it gives Monahan two feeders but two wingers that can score. I have always favored your 3rd line as what we should be doing with Ferland even last season before Tkachuk arrived. Our 4th line really bothers me , only because I really think we should be getting Jankowski into the picture. I like Lazar but either use Stajan on LW or use it to have Gadzic come in and out of certain games.

51 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think you are underestimating or not seeing the same talent aspects I have seen with Lazar. I think he lacks the experience of a Versteeg but he does think the game well. I don't have any problem seeing Versteeg with Tkachuk and Bennett on their RW. You say Lazar needs a distributor so why not have him with our best distributor JG ? In order to make the JG/SM successful IMO has always been to have a similar threat to JG as a distributor/passer/scorer. I think Lazar can be all of these things plus he has good size for corner work and he does play a responsible two way game. Rather than disturb anything that works with Backlund and Frolik's preferred positions we can put Ferland on their LW who I think is ideal for them. Part of this season and definitely next I think you put Foo with Tkachuk and Bennett .

Not enough evidence playing in Flames silks to support my position, so I just have to go back to games where I have seen him play in the NHL.  If you have watched him more closely in the NHL, then I welcome your thoughts.  He seems to me to be more of a N-S player, which is not something Bennett really needs.  I suggested playing with Backlund and Frolik because they have built a partnership and can make most players better.  Giving those guys a N-S player will set up scoring opportunities.

I really don't want to shove a guy who struggled in the NHL onto the top line.  He may in fact be the best player for that spot, but I son't think it's fair to put that type of expectation on him before he has shown he can handle it.  He struggled with confidence (by his own admission), so I hope that they can build him up to be a good player for this team.

5 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Lazar is the type to drop the gloves as well. So he can probably stand up for Gaudreau if needed. 

I dont mind Ferland down the lineup, it opens up space for him.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Not enough evidence playing in Flames silks to support my position, so I just have to go back to games where I have seen him play in the NHL.  If you have watched him more closely in the NHL, then I welcome your thoughts.  He seems to me to be more of a N-S player, which is not something Bennett really needs.  I suggested playing with Backlund and Frolik because they have built a partnership and can make most players better.  Giving those guys a N-S player will set up scoring opportunities.

I really don't want to shove a guy who struggled in the NHL onto the top line.  He may in fact be the best player for that spot, but I son't think it's fair to put that type of expectation on him before he has shown he can handle it.  He struggled with confidence (by his own admission), so I hope that they can build him up to be a good player for this team.

I think Lazar will show up at camp pumped to go. They could as I said try Brouwer and let Lazar get going on the 4th RW then flip them. I just think they are making a mistake putting Ferland with JG and SM when he can better help us elsewhere.

Archived