1 minute ago, cross16 said:

While i get where you are going, unfortunately Pittsburgh will never be a good example to prove your point because of the bolded. Crosby can carry a line and a team by himself. No one the Flames have is capable of that. 

True. But pittsburgh is not the only team that looks at it that way. Anaheim has done the same thing with getzlaf and perry for years, yes you can say they can carry a line as well. My point is I wouldnt say that its a glaring hole in our top 9, the talent is there, the flames are choosing to spread it out, but they could just easily put tkachuk on the top line and bennett on the backlund line. It would be nice to have a top line RW, but its not a glaring hole.

If we look at the guys around the league that play RW.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2017/points/all/rightwing

Its pretty diifficult for us to get one of those guys, and obviously they would help the team. But Ferland is still a good solution.

• 5 months later...

Hat trick for Foo the other night. He has started slow in Stockton, but he's always been a bit of a late bloomer. Good to see him start producing a bit. With Hathaway likely up for the foreseeable future, he should get plenty of time on Stockton's top line. I look forward to seeing what he can do the remainder of the AHL season.

• 8 months later...
29 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I'm really pulling for this kid. I'm hoping he has a great camp, and makes the big team. 

Love. 

It's too bad we didn't get t see him in games that meant something.

He had an inconsistent start to his year in Stockton, but then came alive in the 2nd half.  Almost a p/gp in his last 26 games.

He likes to shoot, but has settled into being more selective, not just dumping it at the goalie.

We have a lot of RW depth, so he needs to show better than Hathaway, Lazar and possibly Czarnik and Frolik.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎26 at 1:10 PM, travel_dude said:

It's too bad we didn't get t see him in games that meant something.

He had an inconsistent start to his year in Stockton, but then came alive in the 2nd half.  Almost a p/gp in his last 26 games.

He likes to shoot, but has settled into being more selective, not just dumping it at the goalie.

We have a lot of RW depth, so he needs to show better than Hathaway, Lazar and possibly Czarnik and Frolik.

I would like to see a line of Mangiapane LW, Dube C and Foo RW as our top line in Stockton.

39 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Even though this is a Foo thread, what does Mangiapane need to do at the AHL level to graduate, in your opinion.  Over a p/gp last year.

Keep doing what he has been doing. These 3 represent an excellent depth position for us should we need them top 9 on the main team.

What I expect to happen at camp is for the prospects like Foo and Mangiapane to be battling Hathaway, Czarnik and Lazar for a spot on the team.  Whether that translates to a top 12 or extra spot is unknown, as it makes less sense to be an extra as a developing player.  We have 13F as of now including Hathaway and Lazar.  Clearly, one of those two could sit out half the games without major impact.  Same goes for Quine and Rychel.

It is nice to have a few options.  I am interested to see what Rychel (attitude adjustment) and Ehliz (smaller ice) can do.  I suspect one or both to start in the AHL.  Considering that we gave up a prospect for Rychel, I wonder if BT is going to keep him up as an extra skater.  Could very well get an invite to China.

17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

What I expect to happen at camp is for the prospects like Foo and Mangiapane to be battling Hathaway, Czarnik and Lazar for a spot on the team.  Whether that translates to a top 12 or extra spot is unknown, as it makes less sense to be an extra as a developing player.  We have 13F as of now including Hathaway and Lazar.  Clearly, one of those two could sit out half the games without major impact.  Same goes for Quine and Rychel.

It is nice to have a few options.  I am interested to see what Rychel (attitude adjustment) and Ehliz (smaller ice) can do.  I suspect one or both to start in the AHL.  Considering that we gave up a prospect for Rychel, I wonder if BT is going to keep him up as an extra skater.  Could very well get an invite to China.

It wasn't really a prospect, it was an AHL deal at this point regarding both players. Rychel is on what, his 3rd team now since being drafted in the 1st rd in '13? Oops, no his 4th in 5 yrs.

I'm sure he needs a lot more than an attitude adjustment.

He's on a long list of big pt jr guys that can't make the transition to the NHL.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It wasn't really a prospect, it was an AHL deal at this point regarding both players. Rychel is on what, his 3rd team now since being drafted in the 1st rd in '13? Oops, no his 4th in 5 yrs.

I'm sure he needs a lot more than an attitude adjustment.

He's on a long list of big pt jr guys that can't make the transition to the NHL.

Shinkaruk was due to be signed to his 2nd NHL contract.  He was qualified, but hadn't agreed to sign the QO.  Still a "prospect", just one that never improved year over year.  I'm not saying Rychel will ever become anything here, but stranger things have happened.  He's had as much success at the AHL level as Klimchuk, but the attitude is getting in the way.  His dad gets too involved when it comes to entitlement.  Need to break him of that.

The question that needs to be answered is whether he can translate to the NHL.  Like Poirier, he needs to step up wherever he plays.  Accept the role he earns.

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Shinkaruk was due to be signed to his 2nd NHL contract.  He was qualified, but hadn't agreed to sign the QO.  Still a "prospect", just one that never improved year over year.  I'm not saying Rychel will ever become anything here, but stranger things have happened.  He's had as much success at the AHL level as Klimchuk, but the attitude is getting in the way.  His dad gets too involved when it comes to entitlement.  Need to break him of that.

The question that needs to be answered is whether he can translate to the NHL.  Like Poirier, he needs to step up wherever he plays.  Accept the role he earns.

Until they dealt him Shinkaruk was looking at options at Europe and sounds like the Flames were pretty luke warm when it came to negotiations. I guess everyone can have a different definition of a prospect, but for me it doesn't look or sounds like the Flames viewed Shinkaruk as someone who was an NHL option anymore. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Until they dealt him Shinkaruk was looking at options at Europe and sounds like the Flames were pretty luke warm when it came to negotiations. I guess everyone can have a different definition of a prospect, but for me it doesn't look or sounds like the Flames viewed Shinkaruk as someone who was an NHL option anymore. 

Prospect only when you look at age and experience.  That's why it had quotes.  Similar to Klimchuk in that regards.

They qualified him over Poirier, but both are so far down the depth chart they would be hard pressed to get NHL duty here.

Really, I was just pointing out he was offered a NHL deal, so it wasn't an AHL deal per se.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Prospect only when you look at age and experience.  That's why it had quotes.  Similar to Klimchuk in that regards.

They qualified him over Poirier, but both are so far down the depth chart they would be hard pressed to get NHL duty here.

Really, I was just pointing out he was offered a NHL deal, so it wasn't an AHL deal per se.

Regardless, many seem to be penciling Rychel in as a 13th forward.

Do we have some sort of pixie dust that all of Columbus, Toronto and Montreal don't have?

It gets a little tiring when every player we grab is going to succeed here, yet has failed everywhere else.

Are we really that arrogant?

It was an AHL deal, it always was imho.

Until the fans started daydreaming that we can fix what no other team is capable of.

15 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Regardless, many seem to be penciling Rychel in as a 13th forward.

Do we have some sort of pixie dust that all of Columbus, Toronto and Montreal don't have?

It gets a little tiring when every player we grab is going to succeed here, yet has failed everywhere else.

Are we really that arrogant?

It was an AHL deal, it always was imho.

Until the fans started daydreaming that we can fix what no other team is capable of.

Maybe it was just a deal of failed prospects.  That is fine.

I originally thought he was going to be a good player out of junior, but that really hasn't translated.  Yet.  It may never.

I was never that high on Shinkaruk as it was.  

I don't know if Rychel is any better than Lazar.  Neither has really done much recently.  Rychel has extra baggage.  Perhaps it's more a wish than a belief that a player can blossom here over where he came from.  Much like the worry that we trade a player and they have a career elsewhere.  Regardless, he has a shot to be the 14th F, just from the position he plays.  LW.  Depth on 4th line RW and (perhaps) C.  Lazar and Hathaway fill up that side.  Mangiapane has a chance to be the 12th F on LW.  Maybe the thought is that Lazar or Hathaway can fill the LW spot.  

I just find it easier on the head to view the potential extra players in their dominant position.  Mangiapane, Klimchuk, Rychel, Lomberg, Ehliz on LW.  Janko, Gawdin, Pollock, Quine at C.  Czarnik, Lazar, Hathaway, Foo, Phillips at RW.   

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Foo is going to have to step up his game if he wants to steal a job from Hathaway or Czarnik, because those two guys have put in very good efforts in China and don't seem to be willing to give up their spots on the roster.

Foo looks to be a guy that will make the push in Stockton.  I don't see him passing Czarnik.  As far as Hathaway goes, it really depends on what they want.  Hathaway has little skills but gives 100% and chips in with being chippy.  Hathaway also plays over the edge too often, and tends to take more penalties than he draws.

• 8 months later...
16 hours ago, travel_dude said:

All the signs were there he wasn't going to be signed.

Perhaps Lazar, Rychel and Pollock should be looking at that as well.

Lazar - elite skating but low IQ.  Also not enough tools (lacks a good shot, good pass, consistent hitting, grit, etc).  He's not great with X's and O's and has to use his skating to recover.  Too bad.  He has NHL character and leadership.

Rychel - the brief time he was in the NHL, he was too bland.  Has only AHL level speed and while i don't think he hurts any team as a 4th line LW or 13th forward, nothing separated him from others like Klimchuk, Agostino, etc.  When he was younger, he was touted as a potential 2nd line power forward that can also agitate and get PIMs.  Maybe something like a Ferland.  But alas, i think he's ran out of opportunities in the NHL.

Pollock - what happened to him?  I thought he was going to develop into a two-way Center for us.

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Lazar - elite skating but low IQ.  Also not enough tools (lacks a good shot, good pass, consistent hitting, grit, etc).  He's not great with X's and O's and has to use his skating to recover.  Too bad.  He has NHL character and leadership.

Rychel - the brief time he was in the NHL, he was too bland.  Has only AHL level speed and while i don't think he hurts any team as a 4th line LW or 13th forward, nothing separated him from others like Klimchuk, Agostino, etc.  When he was younger, he was touted as a potential 2nd line power forward that can also agitate and get PIMs.  Maybe something like a Ferland.  But alas, i think he's ran out of opportunities in the NHL.

Pollock - what happened to him?  I thought he was going to develop into a two-way Center for us.

The older guys (24 is old?) have been passed by the younger ones.  Phillips is already proving to be a pro level talent, and that's a small kid coming into an old man's league, or at least one that has ex-NHL players there.  Gawdin did well as a rookie.  Quine and Graovac are the exceptions.  Both have done something at the NHL level but continue to look strong in the AHL.

Archived