27 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I like as well! I was just asking about him recently. What is going on with all of these acquisitions we get over Edmonton? 

It must feel maddening as an Oilers fan. I've lost count on the amount of times they've been slighted by acquisition attempts. Even Iggy,Phaneuf, JBo all played for the Flames and now Foo actually choosing to start his pro career as a Flame over the Oilers has got to hurt. He's still just a prospect so I'm still not sold on him but it feels so much better when Edmonton born/raised players consistently choose Calgary over Edmonton. It really says more about the Oilers as an organization. Foo probably saw what they did to Justin Schultz and it made Calgary the obvious choice lol

I think BT is right to temper expectations.

Simply put, we should be happy about this signing, as we gave up nothing to acquire a very talented kid.

But we shouldn't think our fortunes have been altered.  This isn't the second coming of Gaudreau.   And it would be fair to say that as the most sought-after college player this year, Spencer was also likely the most over-rated player to be signed.   That's just a reality with college signings.

That said, it's really fantastic to see Calgary Winning the college signing wars for a change.  Really nice.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Simply put, we should be happy about this signing, as we gave up nothing to acquire a very talented kid.

But we shouldn't think our fortunes have been altered.  This isn't the second coming of Gaudreau.   And it would be fair to say that as the most sought-after college player this year, Spencer was also likely the most over-rated player to be signed.   That's just a reality with college signings.

That said, it's really fantastic to see Calgary Winning the college signing wars for a change.  Really nice.

I am just looking forward to him scoring against Edmonton and yelling "Fooooooooooooooo!".

7 hours ago, jjgallow said:

What we should expect is a hard working player like Jooris.  Probably a higher ceiling.  But expecting any more than that is setting yourself up.  Wasn't much last year at the Flames camp, but he may have figured it out.  

Last year Caggiula was the big runner up prize.  Oils signed him and he showed at times what you would hope from a college kid; hard work, never give up, and occasional sscoring.  Adding that type of depth to the Flames RW is good.

23 hours ago, travel_dude said:

What we should expect is a hard working player like Jooris.  Probably a higher ceiling.  But expecting any more than that is setting yourself up.  Wasn't much last year at the Flames camp, but he may have figured it out.  

Last year Caggiula was the big runner up prize.  Oils signed him and he showed at times what you would hope from a college kid; hard work, never give up, and occasional sscoring.  Adding that type of depth to the Flames RW is good.

I'm a touch more optimistic than that, I think Foo is a higher caliber than Joorish, not only in terms of upside, but just what he is.

That said, pretty much agree.   I'm seeing some comments on some of the other threads like "Flames have shored up RW".

Um....woah there.   Foo's a great signing and I expect him to fit in well.   But I would peg him as our #3 RW, with upside of #2.   We haven't "shored up" anything there.

35 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I'm a touch more optimistic than that, I think Foo is a higher caliber than Joorish, not only in terms of upside, but just what he is.

Realism and optimism are two different things. :)

The work ethic is what makes them similar.  I'm optimistic that he could become a top 6 player.  I'm realistic that he slots in as a 3rd or 4th liner, once he makes it.  Anything past that is gravy. 

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The work ethic is what makes them similar.  I'm optimistic that he could become a top 6 player.  I'm realistic that he slots in as a 3rd or 4th liner, once he makes it.  Anything past that is gravy. 

I agree. Honestly nothing wrong with a 3rd long guy that chips in 30-40 points in this day and age. Like I said I wouldnt be surprised to see similar output to jimmy vesey in his first season, which isent actually amazing, but still chipping in.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

So we're close then...with at least half of our differences being semantics.  That's a win for us, lol.

So a lot of us our optimistic in our own little different ways.   But, I think your cautionary post was warranted, because...none of that "shores up" RW for us.   It provides depth around some existing, glaring holes.    We can be happy with that as long as people aren't expecting the return of Iginla.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

We can be happy with that as long as people aren't expecting the return of Iginla.

There you go hurting poor Iggys feeling how could you so nasty the man is a icon and deserves respect not crappy attitudes But like I have said he would never come back here simply because there was no respect by Management.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

So we're close then...with at least half of our differences being semantics.  That's a win for us, lol.

So a lot of us our optimistic in our own little different ways.   But, I think your cautionary post was warranted, because...none of that "shores up" RW for us.   It provides depth around some existing, glaring holes.    We can be happy with that as long as people aren't expecting the return of Iginla.

I think people need to stop looking at a first line RW as a glaring hole, anaheims first line didnt have a first line rw,, pittsbugh didnt, the list goes on. At this point obviously we could use more scoring as cross as pointed out, our even strength scoring isent great. But at the same time with the right depth players and growth from our young guys, we can have multiple scoring lines address that issue.

48 minutes ago, zima said:

It seemed the High lights watch alot of foos goals and points were on the PP im not so sure he would get much opportunity on the PP up in the Bigs to start that could change though just never know?

He might get time on the 2nd unit, depending how the coaching staff decides next year. Althought it sounds like we are close to signing versteeg, so that might limit opportunity a bit.

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I think people need to stop looking at a first line RW as a glaring hole, anaheims first line didnt have a first line rw,, pittsbugh didnt, the list goes on. At this point obviously we could use more scoring as cross as pointed out, our even strength scoring isent great. But at the same time with the right depth players and growth from our young guys, we can have multiple scoring lines address that issue.

Phil Kessel, no?    And the rest didn't bring any trophies back.

2 hours ago, zima said:

There you go hurting poor Iggys feeling how could you so nasty the man is a icon and deserves respect not crappy attitudes But like I have said he would never come back here simply because there was no respect by Management.

?

lol...

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

Phil Kessel, no?    And the rest didn't bring any trophies back.

Im talking about anaheim when they have won, among other teams. Also while they may have phil kessel, they have in the past spread him out,, he didnt play on the 1st line with crosby. We could do the same thing and put Tkachuk on the 1st line then suddenly we have a 1st line RW. The point im getting at is we dont need to load up the 1st line to be successful, pittsburgh didnt thats why Rust was playing with Crosby for most of the playoffs. This day and age is all about pairs,, and then a complimentary player you can see it all across the league.

johnny-mony-Complimentary guy

Complimentary guy-backlund-frolik

Tkachuk-Bennett- Complimentary guy

Sure you could take tkachuk and bennett, put them in the top 6 but you are taking from the depth of the team and its really not necessary.

36 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Im talking about anaheim when they have won, among other teams. Also while they may have phil kessel, they have in the past spread him out,, he didnt play on the 1st line with crosby. We could do the same thing and put Tkachuk on the 1st line then suddenly we have a 1st line RW. The point im getting at is we dont need to load up the 1st line to be successful, pittsburgh didnt thats why Rust was playing with Crosby for most of the playoffs. This day and age is all about pairs,, and then a complimentary player you can see it all across the league.

johnny-mony-Complimentary guy

Complimentary guy-backlund-frolik

Tkachuk-Bennett- Complimentary guy

Sure you could take tkachuk and bennett, put them in the top 6 but you are taking from the depth of the team and its really not necessary.

While i get where you are going, unfortunately Pittsburgh will never be a good example to prove your point because of the bolded. Crosby can carry a line and a team by himself. No one the Flames have is capable of that. 

Archived