So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

2 o 3 are C's.  As a project or prospect or whatever, he has to show he is better than the next ones.  It's going to be a competetive camp next year.

Do a quick comp to Lance Bouma.  Spot duty mostly, 4th line grinder.  7 points last year as a Flame, 8 in 46 with CHI this year.  Hathaway last season 5 in 26 last year.  Spot use or not, he needs to pick up game if he wants more minutes.  He's not bad on the PK.  His FO% is not good.  When Frolik comes back, he needs to be a better option to Stajan at C or whomever plays LW. 

I don't think needs to worry to much with Phillips or Gawdin yet. Oddly the comp you want to use Bouma had his best season when he had consistent time with some very good players, funny how that can work.

Does it really matter if he shows better than Stajan, they are aren't going to bench Stajan. This is why I have said Lazar likely becomes more important for this team next season.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I am now leaning towards the idea that the great goaltending we are getting from Smith is masking the flaws of the team and the flaws of the system we are playing.

You know like Kipper masked the quality of the play we were getting from Iggy and company.. back in the day.

I think that's fair. We are so fair-weather to throw goalies under the bus, but it is very apparent that goaltending might just be the least of our problems.

I don't think Elliott was the problem, Smith has great stats, and that is the only thing keeping us out of the cellar.

Perhaps goaltending was never the problem, as you say, just masks the problems.

9 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

Questions for everyone:

Is this system flawed or are these particular players just not able to execute it well?

Either way, what type of system do you think this current collection of players could succeed at?

What identity should this group have?

Here's my wonder: Are we Matt Stajan's team? A team reflecting it's leaders, do we behave like a Stajan-led team?

Is that a fair wonder??

10 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I am now leaning towards the idea that the great goaltending we are getting from Smith is masking the flaws of the team and the flaws of the system we are playing.

You know like Kipper masked the quality of the play we were getting from Iggy and company.. back in the day.

It's funny how we go from successive OT and SO losses to a banger with 3g for and 3g against, to a game where we score 2 and lose it in the last 2 minutes, to a game where we score 4 and still manage to lose.  So, are we a team that sacrifices scoring to focus on defense, but can't defend?  Hamonic and Brodie hav been brutal all year, with some good games mixed in.  Why is that continuing?  I don;t think either is bad by themselves.  Why is Kulak-Stone our only choice for the 3rd pair when we have a stud D-man in Stockton.  No team toughness, yet we have Prout sitting in Stockton - no I don;t think he's much of a NHL player, but he is a little tougher than Kulak.  What purpose does Bart fulfill?  He's not going to get in until Kulak screws up.  And he's not going to be an improvement.  

What worries me about the forward group is that somehow Brouwer has fooled people into believing he is a top 6 player.  To end the season last year and most of this year, he's a 4th line guy.  I don't care what he is paid, if that's where he belongs.  Seeing him "fill in" for Frolik was tough ti watch, but Tkachuk was able to drag him along for wins.  Seeing him with our two prized prospects is hard to take.  Used to be able to rely on those two for safer play.  Now they are a risk.  Watched a goal scored on a breakaway (view fro behind the net) and all of the team was within 30 feet of the net when scored upon, but Brouwer was still back by the other goalie, lumbering out.

Sorry about the Brouwer rant, but his playing in the top 6 or 9 is indicative of the issues this team has.  What is it about his game that makes him a fit with speedy forwards?

He has trouble playing against 4th lines, yet he was playing on a shutdown line.  The 4th line has a great game, yet play less than the line responsible for 2-3 goals against. 

No realization of who is playing well and who is not.  Ferland gets sent to the 4th line when he makes some mistake, yet you never see anyone other than him or your Lazar/Hathaway/Kulak/Janko pay.  Brodie could be having the worst game of the season, yet he's out there for every PP.          

51 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's funny how we go from successive OT and SO losses to a banger with 3g for and 3g against, to a game where we score 2 and lose it in the last 2 minutes, to a game where we score 4 and still manage to lose.  So, are we a team that sacrifices scoring to focus on defense, but can't defend?  Hamonic and Brodie hav been brutal all year, with some good games mixed in.  Why is that continuing?  I don;t think either is bad by themselves.  Why is Kulak-Stone our only choice for the 3rd pair when we have a stud D-man in Stockton.  No team toughness, yet we have Prout sitting in Stockton - no I don;t think he's much of a NHL player, but he is a little tougher than Kulak.  What purpose does Bart fulfill?  He's not going to get in until Kulak screws up.  And he's not going to be an improvement.  

What worries me about the forward group is that somehow Brouwer has fooled people into believing he is a top 6 player.  To end the season last year and most of this year, he's a 4th line guy.  I don't care what he is paid, if that's where he belongs.  Seeing him "fill in" for Frolik was tough ti watch, but Tkachuk was able to drag him along for wins.  Seeing him with our two prized prospects is hard to take.  Used to be able to rely on those two for safer play.  Now they are a risk.  Watched a goal scored on a breakaway (view fro behind the net) and all of the team was within 30 feet of the net when scored upon, but Brouwer was still back by the other goalie, lumbering out.

Sorry about the Brouwer rant, but his playing in the top 6 or 9 is indicative of the issues this team has.  What is it about his game that makes him a fit with speedy forwards?

He has trouble playing against 4th lines, yet he was playing on a shutdown line.  The 4th line has a great game, yet play less than the line responsible for 2-3 goals against. 

No realization of who is playing well and who is not.  Ferland gets sent to the 4th line when he makes some mistake, yet you never see anyone other than him or your Lazar/Hathaway/Kulak/Janko pay.  Brodie could be having the worst game of the season, yet he's out there for every PP.          

Man you have really become the cronic complainer on here, every post.

There will always be certain situations where you have to play the players you have. Brodie and Hamonic are playing well together now however Brodie will be Brodie brain cramps and all. Why pick on Kulak, the kid needs to get the experience so let him play, you don't seem to have any patience for player development. Instant results or out is no way to run a team. Coaches are working on things continuously throughout a season not all will produce fantastic results.

You don't want Bartkowski around so what do you want Wotherspoon to come up and sit ?

Brouwer provides this team with more than you want to recognize, that's on you. I think you are up to about a 25 page book currently. LOL

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Here's my wonder: Are we Matt Stajan's team? A team reflecting it's leaders, do we behave like a Stajan-led team?

Is that a fair wonder??

LOL that's good con. I would say we are Gaudreau's team as it seems all we do is built around him. We have players that have flashes of success here and there like Tkachuk, Bennett and Jankowski but until there is a more consistent effort from the top 9 this is what we will get, sporatic success. BT will have some real offseason work to do to make this team better next year.

24 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Man you have really become the cronic complainer on here, every post.

There will always be certain situations where you have to play the players you have. Brodie and Hamonic are playing well together now however Brodie will be Brodie brain cramps and all. Why pick on Kulak, the kid needs to get the experience so let him play, you don't seem to have any patience for player development. Instant results or out is no way to run a team. Coaches are working on things continuously throughout a season not all will produce fantastic results.

You don't want Bartkowski around so what do you want Wotherspoon to come up and sit ?

Brouwer provides this team with more than you want to recognize, that's on you. I think you are up to about a 25 page book currently. LOL

Yes, and you constantly point that out.  I have pride for my team and make my views known.  Doesn't make me any better or worse than anyone else here.  I'm not about to sit back and blindly agree with what I see on the ice.  

If you take an honest look at the team, assuming you watch the games, you will see the things holding us back.  Brodie does not have to play of the PP, nor does he have to be played with Hamonic.  The PP needs to change.  The D-men are sitting back too much letting the other team walk in.  Smith shoots the puck more than necessary.  Brouwer drags down his line at times.  Smith is being overplayed this early with a steady backup available.  Time outs aren't used when needed.  Our success with an EN is 0%.  We lack team toughness.  How is it the coaches are working on this but it isn't changing?  

We do have a pipeline of players to be able to use.  What value is Wotherspoon playing in the AHL?  Prout is a tough customer, yet he's not even considered to slot in against the Anaheim D-bags.  Sure, play the players you have available, as long as their first name isn't Andrew or Rasmus. 

Yes, and you constantly point that out.  I have pride for my team and make my views known.  Doesn't make me any better or worse than anyone else here.  I'm not about to sit back and blindly agree with what I see on the ice.  

If you take an honest look at the team, assuming you watch the games, you will see the things holding us back.  Brodie does not have to play of the PP, nor does he have to be played with Hamonic.  The PP needs to change.  The D-men are sitting back too much letting the other team walk in.  Smith shoots the puck more than necessary.  Brouwer drags down his line at times.  Smith is being overplayed this early with a steady backup available.  Time outs aren't used when needed.  Our success with an EN is 0%.  We lack team toughness.  How is it the coaches are working on this but it isn't changing?  

We do have a pipeline of players to be able to use.  What value is Wotherspoon playing in the AHL?  Prout is a tough customer, yet he's not even considered to slot in against the Anaheim D-bags.  Sure, play the players you have available, as long as their first name isn't Andrew or Rasmus. 

Please keep Lomberg up and on the 4th line, at least I know we'd have one player putting his heart on his sleeve every shift.

And tune guys like Kassian in...

It's fun getting a rise out of you and I know you care about the team. You have likely seen where I don't like certain players and recognize the need for changes however some will just not take place this season. I also don't believe in change for the sake of change and recognize at this level contracts do dictate to a certain degree who plays.

Come next season I hope all of Brouwer, Stajan, Versteeg, Brodie and Stone are gone, maybe some as early as this TDL. Yes I also think they need to take a serious look at GG and his staff going forward.

I won't bother in addressing all these points that bug you.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

It's fun getting a rise out of you and I know you care about the team. You have likely seen where I don't like certain players and recognize the need for changes however some will just not take place this season. I also don't believe in change for the sake of change and recognize at this level contracts do dictate to a certain degree who plays.

Come next season I hope all of Brouwer, Stajan, Versteeg, Brodie and Stone are gone, maybe some as early as this TDL. Yes I also think they need to take a serious look at GG and his staff going forward.

I won't bother in addressing all these points that bug you.

These types of jabs/comments don't add to your posts one bit. Both of you can bury the bullet without trying to take hits at each other... You don't have to agree and you don't have to use cheap comments towards each other.

17 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Judging goaltending is difficult on stats alone. We can look at numbers and say, if only we had league average (#s) and then we will win x-amount more. 

Its tough to quantify the team game in relation to goalies, but I feel I try look at the big picture when watching.

stats people will say the numbers say we are a better team than with Hartley and with average goaltending we should make noise... 

for me, it’s when mistakes happen and how they happen that is important. These last few weeks have been consistent with the team play of the last few years. But we blame the goalie? Well, now we question whether it is the problem. 

Albeit, we didn’t have great goaltending so it’s an easy scapegoat.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:31 AM, MAC331 said:

Finally saw something relating to Backlund's contract extension being discussed.

Sounded like it was either 5 years for 6M or 6 years for 5M.

Which route would you go ?

I would do the 6 for 5M.

I would do either of them.  May regret that 6th year though. 

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎06 at 0:48 PM, CheersMan said:

I would do either of them.  May regret that 6th year though. 

Either way with Backlund will become a crucial decision for this team. Losing his experience and the ability to play effectively against the opposing team's best players would hurt.

We could see this team get younger again next season and although the core is gaining experience you need experienced players like Backlund and Giordano as the glue.

For next season, how will we fill the Flames & Heat rosters?

*Assume no buyouts, trades or waiver acquisitions before July 1, 2018.

*All ages as of July 1, 2018.

* Raymond’s $1.05M Buy-Out Cap Hit comes off the books.

UFAs:

Mikael Backlund (C) – 29 - Re-sign at $5.5M for 5 years?

Matt Stajan (C) - 34 – Retires.

Kris Versteeg (LW/RW) – 32 – Re-sign (1 year, around $1.75M per)?

Matt Bartkowski (LD) - 30 – Not re-signed.

Dalton Prout (RD) - 28 – Not re-signed.

Jaromir Jagr (RW) - 46 – Retires.

Luke Gadzic (LW) - 28 – Not re-signed.

Tanner Glass (LW) - 34 – Not re-signed.

Adam Ollas Mattsson (LD) – 21 – Another AHL contract?

RFAs (with arbitration rights):

Mark Jankowski (C) – 23 - Re-sign to Bridge Contract (2 years, around $1.5M per).

Garnet Hathaway (RW) – 26 - Re-sign (1 year, around $1M per).

Marek Hrivik – (LW/C/RW) – 26 – Re-sign (1 year, around $1M per).

Brett Kulak (LD) – 24 - Re-sign (2 years, around $1.25M per).

David Rittich (G) – 25 - Re-sign (2 years, around $1.5M per).

Austin Carroll (RW) – 24 – Not re-signed.

Tyler Wotherspoon (LD) – 25 – Re-sign (1 year, around $1M per).

RFAs (without arbitration rights):

Daniel Pribyl (C/RW) – 25 – If healthy enough, re-sign (1 year, around $1M per).

Hunter Shinkaruk (LW/C) – 23 – Re-sign (1 year, around $1M per).

Morgan Klimchuk (LW) – 23 – Re-sign (1 year, around $1M per).

Emile Poirier (LW/RW) – 23 – Re-sign (1 year, around $1M per).

Jon Gillies (G) – 24 – Re-sign (2 years, around $1M per).

Hunter Smith (RW) – 22 – Not re-signed.

Potential Signed Graduates to ECHL/AHL (from CHL):

Dillon Dube (LW/C) - 19.

Mathew Phillips (C/RW) - 20.

Glenn Glawdin (C/RW) - 21.

Jusso Valimaki (LD) - 20.

Nick Schneider (G) - 20.

Potential Graduates to ECHL/AHL (from Reserve List):

Zach Fisher (RW) – 20.

Adam Fox (RD) – 20 (or a 3rd year in the NCAA?).

D’Artagnan Joly (RW) – 19 (or an overage year in the QMJHL?).

Adam Ruzicka (C/RW) – 18 (or a 3rd year in the OHL?).

14 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

For next season, how will we fill the Flames & Heat rosters?

*Assume no buyouts, trades or waiver acquisitions before July 1, 2018.

*All ages as of July 1, 2018.

* Raymond’s $1.05M Buy-Out Cap Hit comes off the books.

UFAs:

Mikael Backlund (C) – 29 - Re-sign at $5.5M for 5 years?

Matt Stajan (C) - 34 – Retires.

Kris Versteeg (LW/RW) – 32 – Re-sign (1 year, around $1.75M per)?

Matt Bartkowski (LD) - 30 – Not re-signed.

Dalton Prout (RD) - 28 – Not re-signed.

Jaromir Jagr (RW) - 46 – Retires.

Luke Gadzic (LW) - 28 – Not re-signed.

Tanner Glass (LW) - 34 – Not re-signed.

Adam Ollas Mattsson (LD) – 21 – Another AHL contract?

RFAs (with arbitration rights):

Mark Jankowski (C) – 23 - Re-sign to Bridge Contract (2 years, around $1.5M per).

Garnet Hathaway (RW) – 26 - Re-sign (1 year, around $1M per).

Marek Hrivik – (LW/C/RW) – 26 – Re-sign (1 year, around $1M per).

Brett Kulak (LD) – 24 - Re-sign (2 years, around $1.25M per).

David Rittich (G) – 25 - Re-sign (2 years, around $1.5M per).

Austin Carroll (RW) – 24 – Not re-signed.

Tyler Wotherspoon (LD) – 25 – Re-sign (1 year, around $1M per).

RFAs (without arbitration rights):

Daniel Pribyl (C/RW) – 25 – If healthy enough, re-sign (1 year, around $1M per).

Hunter Shinkaruk (LW/C) – 23 – Re-sign (1 year, around $1M per).

Morgan Klimchuk (LW) – 23 – Re-sign (1 year, around $1M per).

Emile Poirier (LW/RW) – 23 – Re-sign (1 year, around $1M per).

Jon Gillies (G) – 24 – Re-sign (2 years, around $1M per).

Hunter Smith (RW) – 22 – Not re-signed.

Potential Signed Graduates to ECHL/AHL (from CHL):

Dillon Dube (LW/C) - 19.

Mathew Phillips (C/RW) - 20.

Glenn Glawdin (C/RW) - 21.

Jusso Valimaki (LD) - 20.

Nick Schneider (G) - 20.

Potential Graduates to ECHL/AHL (from Reserve List):

Zach Fisher (RW) – 20.

Adam Fox (RD) – 20 (or a 3rd year in the NCAA?).

D’Artagnan Joly (RW) – 19 (or an overage year in the QMJHL?).

Adam Ruzicka (C/RW) – 18 (or a 3rd year in the OHL?).

I would really like to see Brouwer bought out if no deal can be made.

I would not bring Versteeg back.

Dalton Prout resign as we need D in AHL.

A O Mattsson resign for AHL.

Agree with all your RSAs wit rights

RFA without rights

End the Prybil deal and I agree with the rest

Agree with keeping all the graduates on the farm teams.

55 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Big surprise we get zero help from Edmonton this week, even just 1 win this week would have helped 

We just gotta be better than LA and ANA...

Get used to it.  Pacific teams playing Pacific teams.  Going to happen a lot over the next 2 months.

At least it's not 3 point games tonight against teams we need to pass.

Tomorrow is a must win, as ANA plays SJS.  Hope that's a Regulation win.  

A win by ANA and by us has all three teams tied for points, plus it knocks LA out of the top 3.  Crazy stuff.

The one good thing about EDM is it's going to cause them to make roster mistakes,

They are not going to get a ton for Maroon because McDavid wants him back.  Pure rental; cheap though.

Chia blew it in the summer, so they are going to trades now when teams only want to give up picks and lesser prospects.

EDM doesn't draft well and their farm is full of blight.

Trade Maroon, Slepy, Nuge, Klefbom, Davdson, etc.

They won't be able to bounce back next year if they raid the team for picks.

2 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

They May Raid Your Beer Cooler Td make sure it is Locked :)

I just brokered a trade with Chia for the Flames:

Stone for a 2018 2nd round and 2019 1st round picks.

For some reason, he thought Stone played on RW.  He hasn't watched him play on the Flames; he keeps getting scratched from the forward lineup when we play them.

Never seen a division so locked down as the Atlantic. I would say top 3 already determined with 25-30 games remaining.

The bottom 5 might have a sniff at a WC but only with an exceptional finish. My Hab friends hate me for pointing this out.

Our best bet is still top 3 Pacific although the gap to a WC position is narrowing as the Central has weakened slightly.

The likelihood of the Oil going 24-4 & Nucks going 24-2 to make the show? :lol::lol::lol:B)

9e25b1011c52f338afaef95f8ea098ad.png

Archived