So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, manu11 said:

Agree, it's Murphy's spot to loose.

I'll admit to not knowing much about him , so please seriously someone who knows fill me in .. how does a guy who has split time between Carolina and the Minors every year of his career since 2012  become our top prospect? means basically he was #8 and top recall in Carolina .. not a place known for defensive depth

I mean I love the depth and he obviously has potential as a 1st rounder , but this slots him ahead of Kulak and Andersson ?

3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

depth for sure.. but he cant even stick with Carolina, but Kanzig was never going to likely see Calgary  so a definite upgrade 

Carolina has some really good young defensemen though.

He was a 1st round pick not that long ago, might just need a change of scenery, there's talent there, probably not top 4 talent, but NHL talent.

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

I'll admit to not knowing much about him , so please seriously someone who knows fill me in .. how does a guy who has split time between Carolina and the Minors every year of his career since 2012  become our top prospect? means basically he was #8 and top recall in Carolina .. not a place known for defensive depth

I'm pratically in the same boat, I've never seen him! I know he's not the biggest guy, but a mobile offensive D-man that's all

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I mean I love the depth and he obviously has potential as a 1st rounder , but this slots him ahead of Kulak and Andersson ?

With guys like Faulk, Peace, Slavin and Hanifin Carolina is not lacking in defensemen.

He isn't great defensively and he is small, those things have worked against him in career so far.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Going to throw out a name:

Scott Hartnell.

Just bought out, so would be a UFA.

LW, but might be a good fit on this team for size and style.

Downside (if he can't play RW) is that it would move a LW to the right.

Play him off wing & have him stand in front of the net. 20 extra goals when Gaudreau & Monahan bank pucks off his backside into the net. :lol:

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

So it sounds like Winnipeg is bringing in another goalie, the current rumor is Mason. We need a backup and the Jets will have 3 goalies if they bring in Mason so is there a trade to be made to acquire Hutchinson. The other player I am curious about is Dano, he requires waivers this year, but he is skilled and can play all 3 forward positions. I am not sure what the cost would be to Hutchinson and Dano but I think there could be a fit there.

Jets traded down 11 spots & gave up a 3rd to protect Dano. Figure out the cost knowing that.

Hutchinson is probably doable since TN is still high on Helle with the guy they'll sign Sat. (sounds like it'll be Mason) until Comrie among others is ready. But given the hope for the Flames goalie prospects there is no need for Hutch.

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

Can live with this but I really wish they would have aimed much higher. Versteeg isn't going to go very far to address the lack of 5 on 5 scoring. 

Good price. I'm surprised Versteeg didn't wait until July 1 & get double the $s with more term.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Not a huge Lack fan, but I am ok with this trade. Get a backup and a puck moving defenseman for Kanzig who probably won't ever play in the NHL and 6th, is pretty good trade.

I mentioned I'd be OK with Lack @ b/u if not for his price. 50% off is fine.

On Murphy: Dang it BT, I said Murray out of Columbus not Murphy out of Carolina! Get that hearing checked. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Good price. I'm surprised Versteeg didn't wait until July 1 & get double the $s with more term.

I wonder if he sees a great opportunity here for a run in the Spring? This is rather exciting. Is it overkill? I don't know!

if we can create a culture in the dressing room, I think that is what got Detroit so good for so long. That culture was maintained for so long, that it was expectation.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I wonder if he sees a great opportunity here for a run in the Spring? This is rather exciting. Is it overkill? I don't know!

if we can create a culture in the dressing room, I think that is what got Detroit so good for so long. That culture was maintained for so long, that it was expectation.

flat out said he would give a hometown discount to stay , this is home. I am surprised 1 year did it tho.. i expected at least 2

21 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

On Murphy: Dang it BT, I said Murray out of Columbus not Murphy out of Carolina! Get that hearing checked. :lol:

We'll get him too + a 6th.  For MacDonald and a 7th in 2019.

And, we are gong after Hartnell to add 20 goals off his backside.  Better than going off Wideman into our own net.

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We'll get him too + a 6th.  For MacDonald and a 7th in 2019.

And, we are gong after Hartnell to add 20 goals off his backside.  Better than going off Wideman into our own net.

and this just tells me even more he's up to something. he wouldn't have cared about Carolina eating half the salary- we more than enough room.. he plans on spending it

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Ryan Murphy was a high draft pick well on his way to great things in the NHL until this... He was never the same again since.  Never fully recovered.  

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ryan Murphy was a high draft pick well on his way to great things in the NHL until this... He was never the same again since.  Never fully recovered.  

Do you remember the movie "Goon"?  I don't know who we could get to fill the role but dang it sometimes life imitates.

BTW. In that vein RIP Dave Semenko.

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Wasn't aware of this. Its too bad watching this draft video, it looks like he was highly touted in 2011. Here's hoping a change of scenery can help his career get on track.

Not a fan of Murphy and think the Flames are in a bit of trouble if he needs to be an NHL option for them. Murphy is a very good skater and can skate well with the puck but e really struggles in all other aspects. He's really not good in the defensive zone with his reads and even his ability to move the puck up the ice is questionable. I find he plays very tentative and it leads to a lot of poor decisions. 

He gives you depth and a RH shot ( i believe?) for the farm but we shouldn't want him playing many minutes in the NHL. 

Looks like we just traded 2 players that probably won't see the inside of an NHL arena anytime soon murp will go on waivers and lack well thank god we have three in the AHL. We can bring up if smith goes down lack can sit on the bench while smith plays and if smith gets hurt in a game lack can take over till we bring up 1 of the kids. Don't understand trade looks more like carolina shedding cap space

4 minutes ago, zima said:

Looks like we just traded 2 players that probably won't see the inside of an NHL arena anytime soon murp will go on waivers and lack well thank god we have three in the AHL. We can bring up if smith goes down lack can sit on the bench while smith plays and if smith gets hurt in a game lack can take over till we bring up 1 of the kids. Don't understand trade looks more like carolina shedding cap space

We gave nothing as far as assets and got 2 NHL players and all Carolina did was save $2m, not a huge amount of cap savings. Lack is as good as any of the UFA backups on the market. There is zero downside to this trade.

12 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

the other good news is it means likely that Falkovsky gets moved up to the A to replace Kanzig :) 

This would be a good move for Falkowsky. This was a deal worth doing for Murphy as it gets us another RHSD and some competition for Andersson, never hurts.

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

Not a fan of Murphy and think the Flames are in a bit of trouble if he needs to be an NHL option for them. Murphy is a very good skater and can skate well with the puck but e really struggles in all other aspects. He's really not good in the defensive zone with his reads and even his ability to move the puck up the ice is questionable. I find he plays very tentative and it leads to a lot of poor decisions. 

He gives you depth and a RH shot ( i believe?) for the farm but we shouldn't want him playing many minutes in the NHL. 

I believe you will be wrong on Murphy despite some of your analyzes being correct. He offers some competition to Andersson for that 3rd pairing RHSD and closes the gap we had between NHL ready defensemen should any injuries occur along that RSD. Much like Lazar a new opportunity.

6 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

This would be a good move for Falkowsky. This was a deal worth doing for Murphy as it gets us another RHSD and some competition for Andersson, never hurts.

Hearing a little more, the Murphy/Kanzig swap was pure money for Carolina -  Murphy is on a 1 way , makes 700K, Kanzig is a minor league 2 way 

Surprises are always nice, and a fresh start can definitely yield surprises, but we can temper our expectation on Murphy.. he gives us another 'Tweener , which is a definite win for us  cuz Kanzig definitely isn't.. but if he becomes more than Wotherspoon in terms of a guy you can play when there's injuries then its a win .

In the big picture, hes playoff depth which you always need . Anyone expecting him to be our new #6, its not gonna happen .

Archived