So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Although I am a big Bennett fan, I am a little concerned about this last year. I do believe that he is capable of playing far better than he has. It just depends on who he plays with this next year. 

I think we all kind of think that way about Bennett. He had spurts throughout the season and I thought we saw more of what we all wanted to see in the final month and playoffs. I don't think he was put in the best situations to succeed by GG but all that could change in 2017/18. A line of Tkachuk, Bennett and Lazar is what I am hoping to see develop .

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think we all kind of think that way about Bennett. He had spurts throughout the season and I thought we saw more of what we all wanted to see in the final month and playoffs. I don't think he was put in the best situations to succeed by GG but all that could change in 2017/18. A line of Tkachuk, Bennett and Lazar is what I am hoping to see develop .

That might help Chucky with his skating. Excellent player, but he could use a little more speed IMO. 

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think Lazar doesn't have the offense to keep up with Bennett and Tkachuk.  Better to bring back Versteeg as the veteran on that line. 

Tkachuk - Bennett - Versteeg

Let's find out, you need different elements for a good line and I like how Lazar handles himself along the boards and hustles.

Simon Despres was bought out today by the Ducks. He hasn't played much in the last two years due to concussions but if they are buying him out you have to assume he is healthy as you can't buy out an injured player. 

Depends where his health is he would made a lot of sense on a short term deal for the Flames. Brings a real lacking skill set to the bottom pairing but again he would need to be healthy.  

43 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Simon Despres was bought out today by the Ducks. He hasn't played much in the last two years due to concussions but if they are buying him out you have to assume he is healthy as you can't buy out an injured player. 

Depends where his health is he would made a lot of sense on a short term deal for the Flames. Brings a real lacking skill set to the bottom pairing but again he would need to be healthy.  

I thought I read that his career was pretty much over due to injuries. There was actually a few media members wondering if Depres was going to file a grievance like Cowen did last year. 

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I thought I read that his career was pretty much over due to injuries. There was actually a few media members wondering if Depres was going to file a grievance like Cowen did last year. 

Ya I've read both too. I'm just having a hard time seeing how Ducks could do it unless he was healthy. if he isn't healthy why would he let them do it? 

Injury is so obvious and In Cowens case it wasn't. 

12 hours ago, cross16 said:

Ya I've read both too. I'm just having a hard time seeing how Ducks could do it unless he was healthy. if he isn't healthy why would he let them do it? 

Injury is so obvious and In Cowens case it wasn't. 

Looks like maybe he is healthy, or he is still injured and he signed off on it.

If he did sign off on it, I can't see the NHLPA being to happy about it.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Looks like maybe he is healthy, or he is still injured and he signed off on it.

If he did sign off on it, I can't see the NHLPA being to happy about it.

I don't even know how that would work.  On IR, he would be paid by insurance, not the team.  If he wasn't healthy enough to come off it, he would still be covered by it.

21 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

Although I am a big Bennett fan, I am a little concerned about this last year. I do believe that he is capable of playing far better than he has. It just depends on who he plays with this next year. 

The same thing happened here in Winnipeg with Schiefle (sp?). It took him about 3 years and a thousand different line combos before things started falling into place. I'd start being concerned if we see a noticeable slide this year.

21 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

The same thing happened here in Winnipeg with Schiefle (sp?). It took him about 3 years and a thousand different line combos before things started falling into place. I'd start being concerned if we see a noticeable slide this year.

I think most fans are still optimistic about Bennett's talents prevailing sooner than later. There were a number of progressive signs with his play near the end of this past season. We should see an effort to have him suited with some better line mates as the talent is here for that to happen. GG as a new coach experimented a lot in trying to find the right combinations for all lines. I would say the only full line that had consistent success was Tkachuk, Backlund and Frolik. I would like to see Bennett start out with Tkachuk LW and Lazar RW. I would also like to see BT sign Versteeg back because he provides versatility in a number of situations with our forward lines.

On 2017-06-17 at 0:49 PM, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

A large part of Scheifele's continued improvement is his mindset/dedication. He takes off a week in summer & then spends the rest of it working with both Gary Roberts & Adam Oates @ their separate facilities.

I haven't heard any thing about Bennett doing likewise.

29 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

A large part of Scheifele's continued improvement is his mindset/dedication. He takes off a week in summer & then spends the rest of it working with both Gary Roberts & Adam Oates @ their separate facilities.

I haven't heard any thing about Bennett doing likewise.

Actually , I forget which one but Backlund credits his biggest turnaround to using a Skills coach.. his play took off from that moment on a few years ago. I recall where he said the biggest change was hanging onto the puck just a second or 2 more .

Actually just found it :   http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/02/01/skills-coach-reveals-secret-behind-new--improved-flames-sniper-mikael-backlund

In Bennett's case , I think he needs to improve his strength and not only play with the right linemates, but learn how to distribute better at the NHL level. Something like that can definitely help

Being as this was really his first year being a center in the NHL, I suspect not only will he have a better grasp of it this year , but now the coaches have seen him for a year and know better what to do to help him succeed 

24 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Actually , I forget which one but Backlund credits his biggest turnaround to using a Skills coach.. his play took off from that moment on a few years ago. I recall where he said the biggest change was hanging onto the puck just a second or 2 more .

Actually just found it :   http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/02/01/skills-coach-reveals-secret-behind-new--improved-flames-sniper-mikael-backlund

In Bennett's case , I think he needs to improve his strength and not only play with the right linemates, but learn how to distribute better at the NHL level. Something like that can definitely help

Being as this was really his first year being a center in the NHL, I suspect not only will he have a better grasp of it this year , but now the coaches have seen him for a year and know better what to do to help him succeed 

Interesting value tidbit here that a lot of players could learn sooner is holding onto that puck for that important 1 or 2 extra seconds to either shoot or make a better pass play. Monahan appeared to be doing more of this with his play allowing him to carry the puck more for better distribution. Bennett would be well served to pay attention and learn this as well.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Interesting value tidbit here that a lot of players could learn sooner is holding onto that puck for that important 1 or 2 extra seconds to either shoot or make a better pass play. Monahan appeared to be doing more of this with his play allowing him to carry the puck more for better distribution. Bennett would be well served to pay attention and learn this as well.

Bennett thinks carry first, pass later.  He didn't have a lot of trust in his linemates, but I can't say I blame him for that.  Put him with a decent combo and he should shine.

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Roberts helps with the strength, Oates with the in game decisions.

It's up to every player to decide if they are willing to keep sacrificing every summer (like they did @ hockey schools to become the best juniors) to become the best NHLers. If just making the NHL was the aim enjoy your holidays. If striving to become elite is on your mind you stay with living & breathing hockey as what you learned by 18 isn't going to keep you ahead of the crowd.

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Bennett thinks carry first, pass later.  He didn't have a lot of trust in his linemates, but I can't say I blame him for that.  Put him with a decent combo and he should shine.

This is how he came out of Junior and he needs to learn how to distribute the puck as a C in order to grow in the NHL. I'M sure he has been told this by the coaches. I'm going to be honest here, I'm not so sure Bennett is real smart which actually has me questioning him as a C all along. I think he would make a great Gary Roberts type LW. I know this isn't the popular thinking for him but just saying it now.

The other player that needs to drop some bad puck carrying habits is Gaudreau, he needs to protect the puck to his sides and not out front where he gets picked all the time. This is Junior stuff you can't get away with at the NHL level.

I know this has been mentioned before but I wonder how a line of Tkachuk, Monahan and Gaudreau on RW would work together. Put Bennett with Backlund and Frolik on the LW. I think Gaudreau would be the best to handle being shifted around.

17 hours ago, MAC331 said:

This is how he came out of Junior and he needs to learn how to distribute the puck as a C in order to grow in the NHL. I'M sure he has been told this by the coaches. I'm going to be honest here, I'm not so sure Bennett is real smart which actually has me questioning him as a C all along. I think he would make a great Gary Roberts type LW. I know this isn't the popular thinking for him but just saying it now.

The other player that needs to drop some bad puck carrying habits is Gaudreau, he needs to protect the puck to his sides and not out front where he gets picked all the time. This is Junior stuff you can't get away with at the NHL level.

I know this has been mentioned before but I wonder how a line of Tkachuk, Monahan and Gaudreau on RW would work together. Put Bennett with Backlund and Frolik on the LW. I think Gaudreau would be the best to handle being shifted around.

I agree with the first part of what you said. 

But at the same time whos going to play in our bottom 6 in your scenario? we have ferland who would be good, maybe versteeg, then I see chiasson as a good bottom 6 player and then maybe jankowski? that bottom 6 is going to get torn apart all night every night in my opinion.

Bennett was a first year center and this isent a bashing of your idea of putting him at LW, but as a first year player playing 3rd line minutes he did very well and im not sure why everyone is in such a rush to "fix" him. First year center in the NHL is not easy especially for a 19 year old, I think bennett will be fine come next season. Also I dont ever see tkachuk playing with mony and gaudreau unless they are loading up the first line for a last minute push because we are down a goal. The flames have said they are commited to pairings, so I see it far more likely they put tkachuk with bennett.

25 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I agree with the first part of what you said. 

But at the same time whos going to play in our bottom 6 in your scenario? we have ferland who would be good, maybe versteeg, then I see chiasson as a good bottom 6 player and then maybe jankowski? that bottom 6 is going to get torn apart all night every night in my opinion.

Bennett was a first year center and this isent a bashing of your idea of putting him at LW, but as a first year player playing 3rd line minutes he did very well and im not sure why everyone is in such a rush to "fix" him. First year center in the NHL is not easy especially for a 19 year old, I think bennett will be fine come next season. Also I dont ever see tkachuk playing with mony and gaudreau unless they are loading up the first line for a last minute push because we are down a goal. The flames have said they are commited to pairings, so I see it far more likely they put tkachuk with bennett.

Let me say this because I' not against Bennett continuing at C and I don't know him. I go by what I see and there are times where he doesn't seem to think quick enough with his passing game. If he can master this and have the game slow down for him mentally he should be fine as a C. If he remains the hell bent for leather type I would say he is best to move to a Wing. As I have said, I to would like to see what he can do with Tkachuk and Lazar as linemates heading into the season. I would like to see Ferland move to playing with Backlund and Frolik so hopefully BT can find us a better answer for our RW top line.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Let me say this because I' not against Bennett continuing at C and I don't know him. I go by what I see and there are times where he doesn't seem to think quick enough with his passing game. If he can master this and have the game slow down for him mentally he should be fine as a C. If he remains the hell bent for leather type I would say he is best to move to a Wing. As I have said, I to would like to see what he can do with Tkachuk and Lazar as linemates heading into the season. I would like to see Ferland move to playing with Backlund and Frolik so hopefully BT can find us a better answer for our RW top line.

I agree with you completely.

It just seems like alot of people are down on bennett after one season at center, especially considering he missed an entire year of development more or less, im pretty pumped for what lies ahead.

I have no problem continuing to use Bennett at 3C for another season.

At just 19, he has lots of time to grow into the position.

As many others have already said, that growth would probably accelerate if he played with better wingers.

That said, if he "only" becomes a Gary Roberts style LW, I won't be disappointed.

7 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I have no problem continuing to use Bennett at 3C for another season.

At just 19, he has lots of time to grow into the position.

As many others have already said, that growth would probably accelerate if he played with better wingers.

That said, if he "only" becomes a Gary Roberts style LW, I won't be disappointed.

I agree, let's see how this next season goes for him at C. I'm more interested in what BT or GG is going to do for a RW with Gaudreau and Monahan. I would like to see Ferland remain on LW preferably with Backlund and Frolik.

I am hoping BT throws something at LV to take Brouwer off our hands and finds Stajan a new team. If he can accomplish this I could even live with another season of Bouma.

24 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I agree, let's see how this next season goes for him at C. I'm more interested in what BT or GG is going to do for a RW with Gaudreau and Monahan. I would like to see Ferland remain on LW preferably with Backlund and Frolik.

I am hoping BT throws something at LV to take Brouwer off our hands and finds Stajan a new team. If he can accomplish this I could even live with another season of Bouma.

JTech (i think it was) posted in college free agents that we were in on Spencer Foo who is a RW. I wonder what his game is like? Would he fit with them, or is that too much for a first year? Then would he fit with Bennett? 

24 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

JTech (i think it was) posted in college free agents that we were in on Spencer Foo who is a RW. I wonder what his game is like? Would he fit with them, or is that too much for a first year? Then would he fit with Bennett? 

I Brought it up. and cross said it didnt look like he was going to be NHL ready next season, let alone ready for top line duty.

Archived