So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

26 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Why does everyone think pending UFAs will sign where they are ? There is a lot of available money and situations out there for these guys. Like I said maybe he doesn't even like it in Columbus. If I were BT he would be on my radar is all I'm saying because he would be a perfect fit on RW for us.

I agree with you that he would likely be an excellent fit. I hope that Treliving gives this a shot. It is really a matter of cost.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I agree with you that he would likely be an excellent fit. I hope that Treliving gives this a shot. It is really a matter of cost.

I don't sense it would be big dollars but more so term which I would give to someone like him. Give him the same as Gaudreau and Giordano 6.75M he would be worth it.

42 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Why does everyone think pending UFAs will sign where they are ? There is a lot of available money and situations out there for these guys. Like I said maybe he doesn't even like it in Columbus. If I were BT he would be on my radar is all I'm saying because he would be a perfect fit on RW for us.

I could be wrong about this, but he can re-sign on July 1st.  Seeing as he's the top scorer on the team, they will make it a priority.  

As for the player, he's coming off a 1st season there as a playoff team that took Washington to 6 games.  Really unlucky to be up 2-0 in the series and then lose game 3 in double OT.  Then lose game 5 in OT.

Would love to have the player, even if it meant offering into the 7's.  CBJ may not be a true contender, but they have a good history of making the playoffs, unlike us.

I doubt he makes it to FA.

Another under the radar one to watch is Karlsson in LV. 

If I'm McPhee, I'm selling him while I can .. realistically he cant duplicate this season , and he is about to get paid . I see him levelling out to a 20 25 goal scorer 

He'd likely end up being a 2nd or 3rd line center here , and I see BT's great negotiation skills keeping him at a reasonable number , plus we have the cap room to survive a bad arbitration ruling 

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I could be wrong about this, but he can re-sign on July 1st.  Seeing as he's the top scorer on the team, they will make it a priority.  

As for the player, he's coming off a 1st season there as a playoff team that took Washington to 6 games.  Really unlucky to be up 2-0 in the series and then lose game 3 in double OT.  Then lose game 5 in OT.

Would love to have the player, even if it meant offering into the 7's.  CBJ may not be a true contender, but they have a good history of making the playoffs, unlike us.

I doubt he makes it to FA.

I'm sure he didn't want to leave CHI however with him being in the final season of his contract GMs will be asking about him. BT should be in on this player.

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I'm sure he didn't want to leave CHI however with him being in the final season of his contract GMs will be asking about him. BT should be in on this player.

Not saying we shouldn't keep eyes open on him.  CHI traded him because of the cost certainty of Saad over the long term and the feeling that he may not sign for $6m or less.  That was all they could afford.  CBJ will trade him if they feel he will not re-sign.  He won't be a free asset as an UFA. 

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not saying we shouldn't keep eyes open on him.  CHI traded him because of the cost certainty of Saad over the long term and the feeling that he may not sign for $6m or less.  That was all they could afford.  CBJ will trade him if they feel he will not re-sign.  He won't be a free asset as an UFA. 

CBJ would be crazy not to lock him up. I would assume that many GMs are watching and asking about him.

Well, a week from now the pre-draft and draft day trading flurry will be over, the Flames will have drafted their 4-5 mid-lower rounders, hoping to have picked a couple elite-level midgets/injured stars/USDP unknowns/Eastern Siberian Hockey League stars(?)/late bloomers and the rest of us will be seriously wondering how bad BT's UFA signings are going to be and if these will hamper the team for how many years going forward......  while at the same time praying beyond hope that Bill Peters' mediocre NHL coaching record was really a reflection of a terrible, cheapskate Carolina team and not his Peter Principle ceiling.   

At least the weather looks nice this week, which we can get out and enjoy and we fans know that Montreal still has a few assets that can be stolen for peanuts... just need to know how to cajole their GM with some player's unrealized potential.....  5 days left of trying....

Happy Father's Day to all!  

18 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Pre-draft, no picks jitters.

It's the doublespeak that worries me. "We want to get faster", "we need more vets".

2 different things imo. We need more quality shooters imo.

If Brodie could have gotten us Galchenyuk, I'd be happier today.

MB has stated he wants to add a left D.

I'm going to hate seeing where this goes...Bennett-Galchenyuk would have been a nice pairing. Bennett good defensively, Gally likes to carry the puck in/do the Mony from the slot. Get Tkachuk to play RW(he has said he doesn't care).

Janks-Backs-Frolik. That's a slam dunk for me.

Ahhh nevermind, it's bothered me since I saw the return on Galchenyuk.

So it goes.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

It's the doublespeak that worries me. "We want to get faster", "we need more vets".

I'm going to hate seeing where this goes...Bennett-Galchenyuk would have been a nice pairing. Bennett good defensively, Gally likes to carry the puck in/do the Mony from the slot. Get Tkachuk to play RW(he has said he doesn't care).

So it goes.

The names I have heard are:

Kessel

Derek Ryan

Skinner

2 of those things are not like the others.  Skinner a LHS that plays either wing.

Cost for two of those players would be high.  Ryan would be a UFA signing.  Probably 3 years max at less than $2m.  Not the worst thing in the world.

Skinner would cost Bennett +.

Kessel would cost Brodie at a minimum.

A couple of RFA's I would have some interest in, depending on the cost.

LA has Reider, who doesn;t really fit the team.  Maybe trade for a prospect.

Hayes in NY.  Always wondered if he could rekindle some of the magic on Johnny's other wing.  On the other hand, he's a big LW/RW/C.

CHI has Saad, who disappointed last season.  Their top 2 D are aging.  Brodie for Saad?

Minny has Niederreiter.  WOuld need to get vreative cap-wise.

CBJ has Anderson.  Probably cost something like Ferland or Bennett.

I just don't want to see a bunch of "projects" coming here, or PTO's that can get up for a couple pre-season games against half teams.

The SCF showed some teams that you don;t have to be a team like ANA or LA to in it all.  Teams will be moving in different directions.

Let's not be like EDM and sign a Lucic.

Or a Reaves.

Beagle is more than one-dimensional, but he doesn't bring the goals. 

(rant over)

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The names I have heard are:

Kessel

Derek Ryan

Skinner

So there's no reason we'd go after Galchenyuk?

Not saying we didn't, but I'm pure rage if not.

If Brodie got that deal done, you've just scrubbed Ryan and Skinner off of the list, kept Bennett, virtually equal cap.

Now if you want Kessel, go for it.

Of Pittsburgh's RW, I'd actually prefer Hornqvist.

He's what hard work looks like, imho.

They didn't get it done with Neil.

2 Cups with Hornqvist.

I hated that deal from Nashville at the time. Much against everyone else.

Hornqvist has always been a fight for every inch player. That's what everyone learns from him.

You want the right vets to lead? He's definitely one of them.

If Brodie got that deal done, you've just scrubbed Ryan and Skinner off of the list, kept Bennett, virtually equal cap.

2 Cups with Hornqvist.

Hornqvist has always been a fight for every inch player. That's what everyone learns from him.

I'll be honest, I was suggesting Bennett for Galchenyuk for some time, so I would be surprised if BT hasn't looked into it.

Perhaps they still see something in Bennett that made that deal fall apart, if it existed.

For me it would be a swap of players that should be better appreciated or have performed better.

Brodie for Skinner?  I'm listening.  Why does CAR do that deal?  Are they really shopping Hanifin?  Why are they doing that?

Hornqvist eh?  That deal is a killer.  5 more years at $5.3m for a soon to be 32 year old.  Not interested in Neal, so I won;t even compare the two.  

As a pest, he ranks u there with the like of Tkachuk and Perry.  Let me think about it.  :) 

2 Cups with Hornqvist.

I'll be honest, I was suggesting Bennett for Galchenyuk for some time, so I would be surprised if BT hasn't looked into it.

Perhaps they still see something in Bennett that made that deal fall apart, if it existed.

For me it would be a swap of players that should be better appreciated or have performed better.

Brodie for Skinner?  I'm listening.  Why does CAR do that deal?  Are they really shopping Hanifin?  Why are they doing that?

Hornqvist eh?  That deal is a killer.  5 more years at $5.3m for a soon to be 32 year old.  Not interested in Neal, so I won;t even compare the two.  

As a pest, he ranks u there with the like of Tkachuk and Perry.  Let me think about it.  :) 

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

You picked it up from me.:P

If it could've been Brodie, that would have been a huge win. Hearing now MTL also wants to add LD.<_<

I would've done this:

Brodie-Ferland for Galchenyuk-Scherbak.

Hindsight says overpay. Sight says I'm moving things and filling gaps.

Addition by subtraction has to be a thing.

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

So it goes.

They’re actually saying we need more vets?

ugh! Let’s sign another Brouwer 

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

You picked it up from me.:P

If it could've been Brodie, that would have been a huge win. Hearing now MTL also wants to add LD.<_<

I would've done this:

Brodie-Ferland for Galchenyuk-Scherbak.

Hindsight says overpay. Sight says I'm moving things and filling gaps.

Addition by subtraction has to be a thing.

Well, he is one of those players you know could do well in a lot of markets.  And now we have to play him an extra 2 or 3 times a year.

I was probably suggesting a one for one deal.  

What bugs me is we miss out on deals like this too often.

Domi isn't even worth a Ferland this year.

Forsberg for Erat.

Hall for Larsson.

Eberle for Strome.

The common thread seems to be teams that have dumb GM's.

I was going to add WAS's GM, but he managed to have his team in spike of horrible cap management.

You want to talk winning by subtraction.

Think about a few players that were a waste of shifts.  Essentially killing minutes of offense.

Need a goal, put out the crew that manages to barely play shifts to a draw.

The coach was responsible for that, but the bottom 6 was stuck in mud a lot of nights. 

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

We lost Stajan, Versteeg and Glass.  Hopefully.

Would Beagle be that bad?  Not on a PTO and not for multi-million.

Some others come to mind, but that assumes we go shopping with Brouwer (buy him out).

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We lost Stajan, Versteeg and Glass.  Hopefully.

Would Beagle be that bad?  Not on a PTO and not for multi-million.

Some others come to mind, but that assumes we go shopping with Brouwer (buy him out).

I guess so. I guess Monahan and Gaudreau are still too young? What about Frolik and Backlund? They’re not spring chickens anymore. 

I thought we wanted more speed and skill?

anyway it is a criticism of the team not you. I get what you’re saying.

Where does that line begin and do we stop crossing it?

i want to see our development in action, hoping someone graduates instead of blocking them again, by a Jagr or Glass and so on...

20 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Yup. BT stated we need vets to help the kids. He also said we want to get faster.

Can't have it both ways. I say we need to add about 15 goals, regardless of how, but I'd surmise they come with more skill.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Yup. BT stated we need vets to help the kids. He also said we want to get faster.

Can't have it both ways. I say we need to add about 15 goals, regardless of how, but I'd surmise they come with more skill.

I agree. When do the kids stop being kids?

Archived