Which Left Wing Will Make the Flames Roster?

420since1974

Three 2013 first round draft picks:

Poirier - 22nd

Shinkaruk - 24th

Klimchuk - 28th

All LW, though a couple have played on their off-wing.

All are signed to identical $886.3k ELC contracts that expire at the end of 2017/2018, though Shinkaruk is also eligible for $212.5k in performance bonuses.

I would hope that at least one of them turns into a Top 9 NHL forward, two of them would be great.

Who do you think has the best shot?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it will be based on who we either want to replace, or what we want to replace or improve.  supposing that Tkachuk moves to a right wing, then Klinchuk would be a good replacement.  His level of compete and tenacity would do well on the 3M line (his first name even fits)!  If no left wing moves and Versteeg is re-signed, the Porter makes more sense.  Shinkaruk did not impress me well this last time with the team.  I wasn't happy with his efforts.  Ferland played forth line as well, and far outshine anything Shinkaruk did when he played. Ferland set a strong example of how to play yourself up the ladder.  I expect no less from those trying to prove they belong on the club.

One that wasn't mentioned yet, was Mangipane.  Given his history and his stubborn resolve, I wouldn't be surprised to see him push for a place next training camp.

12 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Three 2013 first round draft picks:

Poirier - 22nd

Shinkaruk - 24th

Klimchuk - 28th

All LW, though a couple have played on their off-wing.

All are signed to identical $886.3k ELC contracts that expire at the end of 2017/2018, though Shinkaruk is also eligible for $212.5k in performance bonuses.

I would hope that at least one of them turns into a Top 9 NHL forward, two of them would be great.

Who do you think has the best shot?

We should hope that all of Mangiapane, Poirier, Klimchuk and Shinkaruk do well this season as BT may need to use one or two in a trade. My eyes are on Mangiapane to push for a position on LW next season.

I hope to see Klimchuk for a game or two this season.  He is probably the top pick but he plays a more complete game.  However, his early development was really slowed by injuries.  Honestly I don't see any of them as high end prospects at this point.  I think Mangiapane is a moderately exciting prospect though.  Hopefully one of them turns into a full time NHL player.  

Klimchuck for me. He has the best hockey sense and skating ability of the 3 and those are two huge assets that get you into the NHL. I think hockey sense/work ethic will hold Porier back, and I don't think Shinkaruk has the hockey sense to stick in a full time NHL role either at his size. 

Unfortuantley what is also a likely scenaior is that none of them stick. I like Klimchuk but up until now he hasn't been able to stay healthy and while that can change it may not. I thikn people are right that Mangiapane is becoming the best bet of the Flames prospects. Good transition to Pro so far. 

Something I worry about is overestimating our prospects. I had high hopes for guys like Granlund. He has some two-way hockey sense and showed really well early on. 

I guess I worry that Klimchuk or other prospects end up the same. We are placing them into spots next year on really no basis to do so. I am with some who don't like Shinkurak where I just don't see his hockey sense.

one thing we have are some fairly decent top6 guys. If some of these guys can slowly even out the bottom6 that'd be a bonus, to fill roles while they fit financially. 

I am just not ready to believe they'll earn a spot. I really like Jankowski but maybe he needs another full year to make it? The NHL is so fickle that if you don't bring it, you won't make it. 

37 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Something I worry about is overestimating our prospects. I had high hopes for guys like Granlund. He has some two-way hockey sense and showed really well early on. 

I guess I worry that Klimchuk or other prospects end up the same. We are placing them into spots next year on really no basis to do so. I am with some who don't like Shinkurak where I just don't see his hockey sense.

one thing we have are some fairly decent top6 guys. If some of these guys can slowly even out the bottom6 that'd be a bonus, to fill roles while they fit financially. 

I am just not ready to believe they'll earn a spot. I really like Jankowski but maybe he needs another full year to make it? The NHL is so fickle that if you don't bring it, you won't make it. 

This whole thread is premature IMO as a lot will happen with these player's development between now and camp next season. Guaranteed there won't even be enough spots for all of them, some may get traded and some will be back in AHL.

I said this way back that I think both Shinkaruk and Poirier need to hone their defensive skills because I believe they will end up bottom 6 players, Klimchuk may level out as a bottom 6 as well. Mangiapane sounds like he could be a top 6 LW but this is his 1st pro season so time will tell.

I was done with Poirier last season.  So obviously, i think he won't ever become a full time NHLer.

Shinkaruk showed us some promise towards the end of last season but he failed to build upon that and elevate to another level.  His problem remains a lack of 200ft game and thus, has a long way to go.

Klimchuk is the only one out of the three who is still trending the right way although, he still needs to trend more. There's still hope he can bring a mix of Lee Stempniak and Curtis Glencross.  That is solid for a 3rd/4th line role for the Flames long term but only problem is, we've got Bouma and Ferland in those spots and both guys bring unique attributes to help them stay ahead of Klimchuk.

Mangiapane is trending the best of them all but man, with Gaudreau and Tkachuk looking like long term fixtures on the LW and Ferland and Bouma locked into the bottom 6 LW, it's very difficult to see Mangiapane outplay any of those guys to make this team.  That, plus Bennett floats between C and LW which further crowds the position. `I don't know what the future holds for Mangiapane.  I would hope he catches the attention of another NHL club and they give us something good for him.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I was done with Poirier last season.  So obviously, i think he won't ever become a full time NHLer.

Shinkaruk showed us some promise towards the end of last season but he failed to build upon that and elevate to another level.  His problem remains a lack of 200ft game and thus, has a long way to go.

Klimchuk is the only one out of the three who is still trending the right way although, he still needs to trend more. There's still hope he can bring a mix of Lee Stempniak and Curtis Glencross.  That is solid for a 3rd/4th line role for the Flames long term but only problem is, we've got Bouma and Ferland in those spots and both guys bring unique attributes to help them stay ahead of Klimchuk.

Mangiapane is trending the best of them all but man, with Gaudreau and Tkachuk looking like long term fixtures on the LW and Ferland and Bouma locked into the bottom 6 LW, it's very difficult to see Mangiapane outplay any of those guys to make this team.  That, plus Bennett floats between C and LW which further crowds the position. `I don't know what the future holds for Mangiapane.  I would hope he catches the attention of another NHL club and they give us something good for him.

There will be an opening should they decide to use Tkachuk on RW next season, which is an option. I wouldn't trade away Mangiapane even if he has to repeat in the AHL, injuries happen and you want quality players available to step in.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

And yet Tkachuk is playing on the supposed 3rd line with Backlund.  That leaves Bennett's and Monahan's lines for Gaudreau and whoever.  Could be Ferland, but I like Ferland playing on the 4th line as a very good 4th liner.  I don't see Bouma staying with club, but that's only because there are a lot of alternative (cheaper) that provide the same spark.

So, Mangiapane with Monahan and Gaudreau with Bennett.  Other option would be to move Tkachuk to that spot and play Mangiapane with Backlund.  Klimchuk plays a good defensive game, but do we need another for Backlund's line?  They need a spark there.  Tkachuk is good for them now, but in the future we want to graduate another player.  Backlund and Frolik insulate the player and let them adjust their game to the NHL.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/how-the-calgary-flames-have-risen-from-the-ashes-1.630457

Travis has said that Backlund's line has been about the 5th or 6th best in the league. He talks about it in full in the article. But the article talks about how he is not surprised the Flames are doing well. 

Although, I think he should go manage Arizona... 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

And yet Tkachuk is playing on the supposed 3rd line with Backlund.  That leaves Bennett's and Monahan's lines for Gaudreau and whoever.  Could be Ferland, but I like Ferland playing on the 4th line as a very good 4th liner.  I don't see Bouma staying with club, but that's only because there are a lot of alternative (cheaper) that provide the same spark.

So, Mangiapane with Monahan and Gaudreau with Bennett.  Other option would be to move Tkachuk to that spot and play Mangiapane with Backlund.  Klimchuk plays a good defensive game, but do we need another for Backlund's line?  They need a spark there.  Tkachuk is good for them now, but in the future we want to graduate another player.  Backlund and Frolik insulate the player and let them adjust their game to the NHL.

Unfortunately I don't see Bouma going anywhere and will be playing if playing it will be a LW position. Ferland would be better with Backlund and Frolik if they start experimenting with Tkachuk.

I don't think Bouma is going anywhere either but I also don't think he is in the long term plans of the club so I don't see him blocking anyone from the A. I think the Flames would have no problem leaving Bouma as the 13th forwrad if guys like Klimchuk earned a spot over him. 

There is a chance Bouma gets claimed in the expansion draft, but that is about the only way I see him moving before his contract due. He's worth nothing in trade and I don't think a buyout is a necessary or good option with him. 

36 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't think Bouma is going anywhere either but I also don't think he is in the long term plans of the club so I don't see him blocking anyone from the A. I think the Flames would have no problem leaving Bouma as the 13th forwrad if guys like Klimchuk earned a spot over him. 

There is a chance Bouma gets claimed in the expansion draft, but that is about the only way I see him moving before his contract due. He's worth nothing in trade and I don't think a buyout is a necessary or good option with him. 

I don't see a trade as likely, but teams re-evaluate things after the playoffs.  He's not a great fit anymore, nor is he part of the core.  He would be a good fit for the AVS (graveyard for former Flames).

34 minutes ago, cross16 said:

No argument there

Just now, travel_dude said:

I don't see a trade as likely, but teams re-evaluate things after the playoffs.  He's not a great fit anymore, nor is he part of the core.  He would be a good fit for the AVS (graveyard for former Flames).

I think cross said it best above. Our problems are our problems nobody is going to rush and take Bouma, Stajan or Wideman off our hands.

3 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think cross said it best above. Our problems are our problems nobody is going to rush and take Bouma, Stajan or Wideman off our hands.

We also thought Russell was worth little in a trade, being a LHS whose greatest skill was shot blocks.  A two-way forward that blocks shots is worth something.  May not happen until the off-seaso, as I noted, but there is a market for players that are niche players.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We also thought Russell was worth little in a trade, being a LHS whose greatest skill was shot blocks.  A two-way forward that blocks shots is worth something.  May not happen until the off-seaso, as I noted, but there is a market for players that are niche players.

Completely different markets. While yes Russell exceeded what many thought he was worth you are also talking about a UFA dman capable of playing top 4 minutes in what was an incredibly thin D market at the trade deadline. People overpay at TDL becuase of the scarcity and you knew Russell was going to net a fairly decent return, it just happened to exceed the return. 

I don't see a market for Bouma. There are a dozen or more FA every offseason that are as good as or even better than Bouma who will cost less in salary and come at no acquiristion cost. I think the "market" for Bouma invovles a swap of bad deals or the Flames eating upwards of half the deal. If you can bring Bouma down to around 1 million I can see teams being interested but at over 2mill, no way. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe you thought Russell wasn't tradeable, not me. I was surprised at how much we got for him but not surprised there was a taker. Russell is a way smarter hockey player than you give him credit for but I take that into account. My only beef about Bouma is his inability to stay on the ice consistently.

12 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Maybe you thought Russell wasn't tradeable, not me. I was surprised at how much we got for him but not surprised there was a taker. Russell is a way smarter hockey player than you give him credit for but I take that into account. My only beef about Bouma is his inability to stay on the ice consistently.

Therein lies the rub.  Russell is not a good d-man.  His compete level and shotblocking is the reason he has a job this year.  Smart?  Sure.  Talented?  No.  If your only problem with Bouma is his injury history, then I don't know what to say.  

Russell was a pending get UFA D on a budget salary playing top 4 minutes and having a strong season. Bouma is owed 2.2 million next season, has been injured the last two seasons, and is underperforming his contract. He is also a depth LW. 

Maybe the Flames manage to trade him at next seasons deadline if he picks up his play. But I don't see the Flames moving him now without taking another teams problem. 

I know a lot of people defended the signing, but we overpaid on this extension. His injuries are predictable, he was never going to repeat his offensive production, and he is perfectly replaceable on the fourth line with guys like Hathaway, Hamilton, Ferland, etc. 

Fortunately Treliving has learned from his mistake as we saw with Colborne. 

22 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Russell was a pending get UFA D on a budget salary playing top 4 minutes and having a strong season. Bouma is owed 2.2 million next season, has been injured the last two seasons, and is underperforming his contract. He is also a depth LW. 

Maybe the Flames manage to trade him at next seasons deadline if he picks up his play. But I don't see the Flames moving him now without taking another teams problem. 

I know a lot of people defended the signing, but we overpaid on this extension. His injuries are predictable, he was never going to repeat his offensive production, and he is perfectly replaceable on the fourth line with guys like Hathaway, Hamilton, Ferland, etc. 

Fortunately Treliving has learned from his mistake as we saw with Colborne. 

I am in full agreement with you on this. When we signed this contract my original thought was "ewwwwwwwwwwwohhhhhhhhhhh boy!" I forgot that it was a 3 year deal. That makes it worse. 

What was so difficult was, the guys playing on the team back then, we knew they weren't going to stay in the spots they were playing as better players progressed or were signed. There was another reason to think that the production level was going to drop. 

Archived