What Is Best For Matthew Tkachuk

Sirwilliam89

2 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Is it possible the flames wanted to trade up to get tkachuk as they were worried that he wouldnt fall to them? I dont remember the dialog that took up during the draft, I just remember the talk of a three way trade for calgary to move up to 3rd. Im honestly still suprised no one higher then us grabbed tkachuk.

It was a 3-way deal to move up to 3rd.  It fell apart when EDM realized they could get Pulju at 4th.  CBJ actually thought the deal was done.  AT least that is what Friedman said.    

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It was a 3-way deal to move up to 3rd.  It fell apart when EDM realized they could get Pulju at 4th.  CBJ actually thought the deal was done.  AT least that is what Friedman said.    

So its totally possible we wanted to move up to get tkachuk, we had no interested in pulju as we all suspected pre draft. I really wonder how that trade would have turned out and what exactly we would have got out of it besides tkachuk at #3. Does anyone think we would have taken pulju over tkachuk?

I only say this because I wonder the same thing we heard bennetts draft year, everyone thought we would move up but in reality we just wanted bennett.

44 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

So its totally possible we wanted to move up to get tkachuk, we had no interested in pulju as we all suspected pre draft. I really wonder how that trade would have turned out and what exactly we would have got out of it besides tkachuk at #3. Does anyone think we would have taken pulju over tkachuk?

I only say this because I wonder the same thing we heard bennetts draft year, everyone thought we would move up but in reality we just wanted bennett.

I will admit that I thought Puljujarvi was the target for us in this draft. I like the way it has all turned out with Tkachuk and I expect Puljujarvi will end up being a good player in the long run.

47 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I can only go by what they say out loud.  Burkie and Tre both said they got the guy they wanted all along.  I thought that they were interested in Pulju (maybe they were), and I was hoping to draft him, but I'm happy we didn't.  We would not be anywhere with him this year.  Long term, he may be a good player, but I think his value was raosed by playing against kids (U-18) and a weaker WJC last year.

In the Ekblad/Bennett draft, the only prize better than Bennett was Ekblad.  If you have a chance to move up, you do.  Same way in the Monahan draft; we tried to move up to get MacKinnon or Barkov.  I think they also targeted a higher 1st trying to get Carolina's pick.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

CBJ made it known they didn't want Puljujarvi.  And at the same time, pre-draft rumours were circulating that PK Subban was on the move because the Habs wanted local boy Dubios.  Logically, CBJ didn't need D so they werent in on Subban.  This leaves the Oilers who most likely had a deal in place to trade the 4th overall to MTL for Subban in some kind of combo mega deal. 

Yet, the Oilers freaked out not knowing if CBJ was serious about not picking Puljujarvi.  They immediately tried to trade up in case CBJ took Dubios.

As soon as the Flames heard CBJ was interested to move their 3rd, BT got in on the action.  Whether BT wanted Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, or Dubios, I'm sure BT thought there's no way one of them would survive to the 6th pick.

In the end, the price was too much for the Flames.  It came down to the Oilers willingness to call CBJ on their bluff.  In the end, no trade was made.  CBJ took Dubios.  Chiarelli was in disbelief.  

Chiarelli ended up paying Hall to get Larsson when they likely could've got Subban for Dubios and kept Hall but weren't willing to pay the price to move up... Whatever that price was... maybe it was Hall but mostly less than that. We will never know.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I can only go by what they say out loud.  Burkie and Tre both said they got the guy they wanted all along.  I thought that they were interested in Pulju (maybe they were), and I was hoping to draft him, but I'm happy we didn't.  We would not be anywhere with him this year.  Long term, he may be a good player, but I think his value was raosed by playing against kids (U-18) and a weaker WJC last year.

In the Ekblad/Bennett draft, the only prize better than Bennett was Ekblad.  If you have a chance to move up, you do.  Same way in the Monahan draft; we tried to move up to get MacKinnon or Barkov.  I think they also targeted a higher 1st trying to get Carolina's pick.

Isnt Draisaitl the Bennett draft? Isnt he doing well this year? Just because he is with McDavid, doesn't hurt his standing. He still has to finish. 

That is something Bennett isn't doing with Gaudreau right now. 

But it it is right to not worry. If Bennett has a 20-20-40 season I consider it a success. If we can get a few years of his RFA on a bridge it bodes well for his improvement years as he ascends to a better C. 

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

CBJ made it known they didn't want Puljujarvi.  And at the same time, pre-draft rumours were circulating that PK Subban was on the move because the Habs wanted local boy Dubios.  Logically, CBJ didn't need D so they werent in on Subban.  This leaves the Oilers who most likely had a deal in place to trade the 4th overall to MTL for Subban in some kind of combo mega deal. 

Yet, the Oilers freaked out not knowing if CBJ was serious about not picking Puljujarvi.  They immediately tried to trade up in case CBJ took Dubios.

As soon as the Flames heard CBJ was interested to move their 3rd, BT got in on the action.  Whether BT wanted Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, or Dubios, I'm sure BT thought there's no way one of them would survive to the 6th pick.

In the end, the price was too much for the Flames.  It came down to the Oilers willingness to call CBJ on their bluff.  In the end, no trade was made.  CBJ took Dubios.  Chiarelli was in disbelief.  

Chiarelli ended up paying Hall to get Larsson when they likely could've got Subban for Dubios and kept Hall but weren't willing to pay the price to move up... Whatever that price was... maybe it was Hall but mostly less than that. We will never know.

Here's notes from Elliott's piece:

Some of the best draft-related stories revolve around trades that nearly happened, but didn’t; which can make for some interesting reflection years down the line.

There had been heavy speculation leading into the 2016 NHL Entry draft that the No. 3 overall pick of the Columbus Blue Jackets might be in play.

During a Monday radio hit on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960, Insider Elliotte Friedman shared his impressions on talented Calgary Flames rookie Matthew Tkachuk. Cue the audio to the 11:25 mark if you want to hear the entire discussion on him.

Friedman also outlined a potential draft trade that was in the works at the time.

“Two or three weeks before the draft there were people who told me that (Tkachuk’s) stock was really rising,” recalled Friedman. “That Edmonton liked him a lot and other teams liked him too, and there was no way he was going to drop down to somewhere like Calgary.

“And then the night before the draft, someone said to me, ‘Pierre-Luc Dubois is going to Columbus at 3 and then everything is going to shake up and Tkachuk might fall a bit.’ And that turned out to be true.

“There was also a trade going on at the draft. I don’t have the notes in front of me right now, but it was a Calgary, Edmonton, Columbus deal where everybody was going to move around and the Flames were going to get higher to take Tkachuk. And it didn’t need to happen because Columbus let everybody know they were taking Dubois.

“So the Flames really had their eye on him, and it worked out great. I think he’s been fantastic.”

49 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Some of the best draft-related stories revolve around trades that nearly happened, but didn’t; which can make for some interesting reflection years down the line.

There had been heavy speculation leading into the 2016 NHL Entry draft that the No. 3 overall pick of the Columbus Blue Jackets might be in play.

During a Monday radio hit on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960, Insider Elliotte Friedman shared his impressions on talented Calgary Flames rookie Matthew Tkachuk. Cue the audio to the 11:25 mark if you want to hear the entire discussion on him.

Friedman also outlined a potential draft trade that was in the works at the time.

“Two or three weeks before the draft there were people who told me that (Tkachuk’s) stock was really rising,” recalled Friedman. “That Edmonton liked him a lot and other teams liked him too, and there was no way he was going to drop down to somewhere like Calgary.

“And then the night before the draft, someone said to me, ‘Pierre-Luc Dubois is going to Columbus at 3 and then everything is going to shake up and Tkachuk might fall a bit.’ And that turned out to be true.

“There was also a trade going on at the draft. I don’t have the notes in front of me right now, but it was a Calgary, Edmonton, Columbus deal where everybody was going to move around and the Flames were going to get higher to take Tkachuk. And it didn’t need to happen because Columbus let everybody know they were taking Dubois.

“So the Flames really had their eye on him, and it worked out great. I think he’s been fantastic.”

Ya i don't think it was ever a 3-way trade but rather, both EDM and CGY wanted to get the 3rd overall pick.  It wasn't a 3-way trade because after CBJ picked Dubios, there were no more discussions between the Flames and Oilers to swap picks.   The Flames wanted a guarantee they can draft their guy.  The Oilers wanted to trade Dubios to MTL for Subban.

You can see Chiarelli's face after CBJ picked Dubios.  He was pissed. Normally when you pick #4 and the 3rd ranked prospect drops to you, you are all smiles.  But nope.  Chiarelli's face said it all.  CBJ set a price that the Oilers refused to meet and CBJ picked Dubios.  Chiarelli was that close to getting Subban.

But nobody could've predicted the Canucks would take Joulevi, who could still turn out to be a great player but unlikely as good as Tkachuk.

10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Another good lesson or two in that draft for not drafting by need and taking the BPA as your pick comes up.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Another good lesson or two in that draft for not drafting by need and taking the BPA as your pick comes up.

What's interesting to me is that they felt (it appears that way) that Tkachuk was the BPA at 3rd up to 6th.  Prior to the season, I would have argued that, but it's hard to compare a Finn in SM-Liga (50 games 28 points) to OHL (57 games 107 points).

Interesting that Crzy's projects said the following:

Puljujarvi:

Report: Could have even more raw potential than Laine; the fact that these two are in the same draft, and moreso are not fighting it out as the consensus top ranked forwards, speaks volumes to the strength of number 1. Not as physical as Laine, but a smoother skater and is a better two-way player thanks to his smarts and speed. Still seems to be working through some issues with his accuracy in-game, but has the potential to score 30+ goals at the NHL level. A mature player and could make the adjustment to the NHL faster than Laine, in terms of earning his minutes and trust from the coaching staff.

Super well-rounded forward with no glaring weaknesses to his game, although there are times you’d wish he would do something to stand out more from the crowd. Definitely athletically gifted, although he lacks the pure strength of a Laine. His major gift is his ridiculous lung capacity; supposedly clocking a VO2 max around 74 in informal sessions in Finland, that puts him on par with some of the best marathon and middle distance runners on the entire planet (for comparison’s sake, Lance Armstrong clocks in at 84.0, and the current 1 mile world record holder clocks in at 77.0). If you’re looking for a player who can keep up deep into a playoff overtime game, you won’t find many better choices than Puljujarvi.

Tkachuk:

Report: Definitely raised his draft stock with an outstanding performance through the OHL playoffs. A really gritty forward, has the skills to play a run and gun game but is at his best when he’s tough in the corners, parking himself in front of the net and generally being a ***** to play against. Wore off a little in the Memorial Cup.

Will play in the NHL in some capacity, and that alone makes him a very valuable asset in the draft. After the 1st overall selections there aren’t many prospects out there who are as safe a bet to hitch your horse to.

19 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The pundits (& most fans) saw the 3 big prizes last draft as Matthews & the 2 Finnish forwards in various order.

When Columbus selected Dubois outright rather than moving down it threw a wrench in trade talks. Edmonton & Vancouver were happy to grab Puljujarvi & Joulevi leaving us with Tkachuk or a D (I really wanted Chychrun).

As I said previous Matt has turned out much better than I expected so @ least short term we did well.

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Not Doughty.  

I remember DL44 literally applied the name Lidstrom.  Lol

Classic!!

That's one jersey I made sure I got, a signed Lidstrom. I think it's almost sacrilege to compare a young kid Lidstrom.

No pressure, just go get your 7 Norris' and 4 Cups, don't forget to grab a Conn Smythe and make the playoffs for 20 yrs, lol.

So in essence, Juolevi CAN be Doughty but fall short of expectations lol.

Man oh man, I'd love to see it, but I can't imagine another Lids.

I'm a huge Hedman fan and think he's perhaps the best all around currently, but still not Lidstrom...

Juolevi needs a lot, still, to be in the NHL next year, namely muscle, lateral movement and better on D.

Again with Chychrun, why the fall? Because Derrian Hatcher made him become a more responsible Dman last year. His coach was an NHL dman and made him cut the run and gun to focus on D.

Something Juolevi is going to need, Vancouver is not high end explosive scoring like the Knights or Finnish National teams.

I think they really got it wrong, but time will tell. Chychrun and Tkachuk are already logging quality NHL minutes for guys that went below him.

Van kind of has him painted in a corner already regarding the fan base, so I do feel sorry for him.

I don't think Doughty and Juolevi belong in the same conversation. Doughty is still one of the top 5 Dman skaters i've ever seen come out of Junior, probably top 3 to be honest and still thought the game at a very high level. Juolevi skates just fine but Doughty was on a different level so i don't think there is a valid comparison there at all. Not to say Juolevi isn't a good prospects, he is but he also was a terrible pick at 5. 

I think the Flames got lucky with Tkachuck but its still way to early to say that any team in front of them got anything wrong. I had Tkachuk as the 4th best player in the draft so I do think the Flames got a bit lucky he was there but just becuase Dubois hasn't been great or that Puljujarvi struggled early doesn't make them lesser prospects. Tkachuk was just such a perfect fit in terms of what the Flames needed is why I think they will always have gotten a big "lucky" irregardless of what happens to the prospects taken ahead of him. 

I think Columbus turning this around has really helped taken the heat off their brass because Dubois looked so terrible at the WJ but i'm really interested to see how Juolevi develops and what the means for Benning. If I were his boss, getting a decision like that wrong is a fireable offence.

10 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

The pundits (& most fans) saw the 3 big prizes last draft as Matthews & the 2 Finnish forwards in various order.

When Columbus selected Dubois outright rather than moving down it threw a wrench in trade talks. Edmonton & Vancouver were happy to grab Puljujarvi & Joulevi leaving us with Tkachuk or a D (I really wanted Chychrun).

As I said previous Matt has turned out much better than I expected so @ least short term we did well.

With a Finnish GM even. I surmised a Finnish GM has a lot more boots on the ground in Finland then anyone, so I didn't want Pulji yet many fans were agog about him.

As I looked at his stats in the Elite league, they weren't great, and his seldom goals were mainly PPGs.

I'm glad Edmonton took him, because I thought he looked like a lot of risk hyped by the WJC. Polluted air without a constant.

In the meantime, I saw a lot of O games, London's big line were all consistently good last yr, they're 2nd line was Pu-Jones, they're dmen of Juolevi and Mete are offencive dmen that lack consistency at just being dmen. They were afforded that by a dynasty at forward.

Pu is a very good player, and I'd label him a 3C in the big boys club, and it shouldn't take long. He is crafty up and down the ice, "what-the-heck-just-happened-there" crafty.

He reminds me of Lombardi's peak as our 3C, going into the '04 playoffs, before he got targeted for erasure...

As for Chychrun, I respect your opinion and god knows I'm way-over vocal about it.

There's a certain magnanimity in people that you judge them by I think. It's rare but it's specific.

Toews, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Hossa, Iggy, Webber. Tends to be prevalent in hockey.

The reality is they all gang up in the high school cafeteria or hallways with attitude.

In Sarnia, one has really stood out as very outgoing and different in not being a, "hockey dick" amongst the 14-17yo general population of high school...

Stamkos. Legend in these parts. 

Gally/Yak were home-schooled so sorry I got nothing to report from their peers lol.

Chychrun, on the other hand, has been the closest since Stamkos in my estimation.

ARI will have a lot of Sarnia fans, as much as we hate London, we can always hate Toronto together.

Toronto midgets oh, no!! Like Micheal McLeod and Cliff Pu, we're so scared lol.

Losers.

2 hours ago, LAkid said:

He is already burning down the Flames and You just don't see it. Latest poll has Calgary missing the playoffs. Bad contracts on bad or old players. Golden Boy is a flash in the pan and the other 2 are over rated as well.

Well you are entitled to your opinion. Which contracts are bad? Every team has bad contracts, last time I checked every team has bad contracts. I am by no means a huge fan of burke, but to ignore his work with other franchises is ludicrous and ignorant. 

Archived