Troy Brouwer

Going4TheCup

15 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

He was an in demand UFA & got just under a 20% raise based on his last season & playoffs. I remember most on this board thought we got a pretty good deal especially compared to what others signed for with other teams. & his isn't all up front money like a Lucic or Ladd.

I want the 2015/16 playoff version to show up this year in the playoffs.  The money is not as important to me as the term, which will be bad if he doesn't improve.  

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JA_Boomer said:

I hope he shows up for the first playoff game, because at this point it's hard to argue Brouwer is an upgrade over Hamilton or Lazar.

When Chiasson only has one less point than Brouwer, that say's a lot...

Another way to put it is Stone is almost even with Brouwer for points per game...

I'm sure Brouwer hasn't been pleased with his season..who wants to be viewed as overpaid. With that said he better show up during these playoffs..whether we get Ana or Edm he's going to need to step up. Flames are going to need some playoff heroes if they want to advance. 

3 hours ago, JA_Boomer said:

I hope he shows up for the first playoff game, because at this point it's hard to argue Brouwer is an upgrade over Hamilton or Lazar.

I think this team and coaching staff have been very patient with him and they have tried him on all four lines with ample time on both special teams...He has not produced offensively (even though he has been given more than enough chances with our skill players) and I am OK with this...

The thing that bugs me is he struggles to make simple plays and do what it takes to be effective in a bottom six role as well. Combine this with what seems like a complete lack of "HEART" has transformed him from a player that is not only not contributing but he has become a liability.

In fact one could argue that in a limited sample size that Lazar would be an upgrade...

I guess we will have to see what game 1 brings because that is the excuse going around the media...Shannon said last night that Brouwer would be graded after game 83 so here's to hoping he brings it!!!

5 hours ago, hockeypriest2 said:

I think this team and coaching staff have been very patient with him and they have tried him on all four lines with ample time on both special teams...He has not produced offensively (even though he has been given more than enough chances with our skill players) and I am OK with this...

The thing that bugs me is he struggles to make simple plays and do what it takes to be effective in a bottom six role as well. Combine this with what seems like a complete lack of "HEART" has transformed him from a player that is not only not contributing b

That's just it, Brouwer has been tried everywhere possible in order to give him an opportunity to contribute more than he has managed to most games...

In fact one could argue that in a limited sample size that Lazar would be an upgrade...

Unless Brouwer can get out of 2nd gear, that just might happen...

I guess we will have to see what game 1 brings because that is the excuse going around the media...Shannon said last night that Brouwer would be graded after game 83 so here's to hoping he brings it!!!

I am hoping that Brouwer really steps up in the playoffs to start to make up for a lot of mediocre play in the regular season, we all know that he has the talent hiding there somewhere...

Considering someone's description of Brouwer's game, i wonder if we even play a style suited for him. We don't really plant him in front of the net. The only D guy that seems to get pucks on net is Hamilton, therefore, how can he generate off rebounds when for the most part, we look for the perfect shot? 

Stone Ned has been decent at being simple (getting it on net) as well.

57 minutes ago, Die hard Flame said:

Troy Brouwer has good leadership skills to suffice that he will be a good inspiration for the fourth line....

He was brought in and given the role to mentor and  show leadership along side of Sam Bennett. He was given the "A" as a sign of trust to do this role.

If he had been successful he would still be on that line regularly and goals would not be a concern.

Considering his role and duty in that role I am not so sure showing up in the playoffs will be enough..

31 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

He was bought in and given the role to mentor and  show leadership along side of Sam Bennett. He was given the "A" as a sign of trust to do this role.

If he had been successful he would still be on that line regularly and goals would not be a concern.

Considering his role and duty in that role I am not so sure showing up in the playoffs will be enough..

Enough what ? I don't question Brouwer's character or leadership role. Like everyone else I am somewhat perplexed at what we are getting from him on the ice. He has been out of sorts all season except with the odd flash to score a goal. I will be surprised if BT doesn't expose I'm for the expansion draft however if he isn't taken all we can do is hope for better results next season from him.

So through two playoff games, I watch the 4th line and I see Stajan giving a good effort and Bouma laying a hit every chance he gets, and Brouwer has been completely invisible. And then he pops up on the first power-play unit and stands in front of the net. I'm so tired of it.

I have to defend Brouwer a bit, I don't think he's been that bad so far in the playoffs. I think he's done a good job of keeping pucks in on the forecheck and laying the body when he can.

That being said, he's playing a 4th line role well. At 4.5 million and for what they expected of him, that isn't good enough. You don't pay someone 4.5 million to be a not bad 4th liner in the playoffs.

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I have to defend Brouwer a bit, I don't think he's been that bad so far in the playoffs. I think he's done a good job of keeping pucks in on the forecheck and laying the body when he can.

That being said, he's playing a 4th line role well. At 4.5 million and for what they expected of him, that isn't good enough. You don't pay someone 4.5 million to be a not bad 4th liner in the playoffs.

Perhaps they could double shift him with Bennett, rather than use him on the PP.  He's had chemistry with Versteeg in the past.

Right now, he's being played with a defensive center and a guy that has shown little to none offense this season.  I know that Bouma does offer some blocking ability on the PK, but I do feel that could be done by others.

An alternative to that would be to use him as the extra forward on the 2nd PP unit and shift Gio/Dougie to the top unit.

JH-Monahan-Ferland

Gio-Dougie

Bennett-Backlund-Brouwer

Brodie-Frolik 

50 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I would rather watch a under 1 million exciting " not bad 4th liner in the playoffs" in Hamilton or Lazar.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Perhaps they could double shift him with Bennett, rather than use him on the PP.  He's had chemistry with Versteeg in the past.

Right now, he's being played with a defensive center and a guy that has shown little to none offense this season.  I know that Bouma does offer some blocking ability on the PK, but I do feel that could be done by others.

An alternative to that would be to use him as the extra forward on the 2nd PP unit and shift Gio/Dougie to the top unit.

JH-Monahan-Ferland

Gio-Dougie

Bennett-Backlund-Brouwer

Brodie-Frolik 

I like your pp lines, but I would even rather have Stone and Frolik out there on the #2. Stone has been simple at getting pucks through. That's something we need.

i don't know who to play instead of Bartkowski, but I haven't liked his game at all. He's going to cost us some goals soon. 

Watching the Edm series makes me wish we kept Schlemko. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I like your pp lines, but I would even rather have Stone and Frolik out there on the #2. Stone has been simple at getting pucks through. That's something we need.

i don't know who to play instead of Bartkowski, but I haven't liked his game at all. He's going to cost us some goals soon. 

Watching the Edm series makes me wish we kept Schlemko. 

You are right about Stone.  Brodie on the PP is really not helping as is.  He's crafty, but not getting anything on net with any force.  Stangely enough, Monahan has two goals in the series, but those are the result of many quick passes, and could easily have been turned over.

The only current option other than Bart is Wideman.  That's a recipe for disaster, not because he's useless but because he gets wound up and takes penalties.  I would be happier if they called up another LD and went with 7D in the lineup.  Sit Bouma.  If you want, play Bart in Bouma's spot to get Kulak with Engelland. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

You are right about Stone.  Brodie on the PP is really not helping as is.  He's crafty, but not getting anything on net with any force.  Stangely enough, Monahan has two goals in the series, but those are the result of many quick passes, and could easily have been turned over.

The only current option other than Bart is Wideman.  That's a recipe for disaster, not because he's useless but because he gets wound up and takes penalties.  I would be happier if they called up another LD and went with 7D in the lineup.  Sit Bouma.  If you want, play Bart in Bouma's spot to get Kulak with Engelland. 

True! Plus wideman doesn't get the benefit of the doubt with refs and that already happens. 

Plus Wideman is prone to giveaways as well. The 7 D idea is interesting.

Looks like Brouwer sticks on the revamped 4th line with Hamilton and Lazar for Game 4, I would have kept Bouma in, but if the coaching staff feel they can't utilize Ferland on the PP instead of Brouwer for whatever reason, this is somewhat understandable.

Archived