Troy Brouwer

Going4TheCup

I like Brouwer but not the contract and not the age. Normally, only elite players stay effective after 32 or 33 yea old and I feel Brouwer will only have 1 or 2 good seasons left in the tank. For now, RHS RW with size and leadership. Prevents us from having to throw a LW on the RW.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Brouwer but not the contract and not the age. Normally, only elite players stay effective after 32 or 33 yea old and I feel Brouwer will only have 1 or 2 good seasons left in the tank. For now, RHS RW with size and leadership. Prevents us from having to throw a LW on the RW.

It's definitely the first time actually have players in the positions they're used to playing in. Hopefully, while Brouwer holds down a RW position for some decent depth finally one of our up-and-comers develops to take the reigns.

The Canuck fans on CDC are disappointed that they did not get Brouwer, and aren't looking forward to facing him.

Personally, I'm happy that Calgary didn't throw out $6M + for a UFA.

I won't enjoy the Flames playing against Lucic. Those Egmunkton Oglers are going to start firing one of these years, and it could be this one. I will enjoy seeing them misfire again though, as long as they quit squatting over the draft lottery.

As long as Flames management aren't crimping up on acquisition$ because generally that will only get you what you pay for.

Brouwer is a respectable player, while Lucic is not.  Both are hard-nosed players.  Ferland will stick up for any players on his line.

Lucic was not much of a factor in the playoffs last year.  Funny how Lucic gets off after punching a ref.

Respectable is fine. Was Gordie Howe a respectable player? You gotta get the job done. Ferland is a favorite of ours but he's not on the same level as Lucic...YET.

I watched the footage of the stray poke that Lucic did with the ref. Another player had just swung at Lucic; Lucic was replying and the ref caught a wee bit of the follow through. Those refs are tough, at least they were in days gone by. It was unintentional.

I guess this means Frolik as 1st line RW with Brower as 2nd.

Why we are paying Brower more beats me.

Disappointed to see Montoya land in Montreal. @ 0.95 x 1 he was our ideal backup.

Hopefully we get Hutton @ that type of contract.

Dang! Just saw Hutton went to St. Louis @ 1.125 x 2.

Don't know who I want as backup now.

Disappointed to see Montoya land in Montreal. @ 0.95 x 1 he was our ideal backup.

I think Hutton is in St Louis now? Who else?

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiWxLW5i9PNAhVdGGMKHcRWB-gQqQIIVTAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fthehockeywriters.com%2Fblues-sign-jake-allen-carter-hutton%2F&usg=AFQjCNFEe3Av3evQ-SI4uj3tHYsZunJNNg

We already signed Chad Johnson as our back-up.

I hope you're right about Frolik.  I know that Backlund and Frolik work well together defensively, but the cost/benefit doesn't work for me. 

Like many on here, I don't mind Brouwer, but I'm not thrilled about the dollar$ and less than amused by the term.

Next up, I'd like to see a bad contract moved out.

Not a good signing. I bet he gets bought out in year 3. Brouwer shouldn't have got more then 2 years or 4 mill per.

I think the whole "great fit" is a bit overrated. Brouwer is a poor possession player and really is only good in around the front of the net. Average forecheck wr so I don't even think the fit is that good.

I think he'll play with Bennett. They wanted a vet to play with him just wish they would have looked st someone other than Brouwer.

Nailed it.   Should have been a 2 year deal.

Nailed it.   Should have been a 2 year deal.

Should've been, and in a perfect world probably would have been. 2/4~4.5 I think everyone would've been ecstatic but I think sometimes it costs to get the guy you want.  I'm curious to see if this is a good or bad signing, but to me it's a signing that I'm willing to see how it shakes out with the hopes it's still a slam dunk signing.  I'm looking forward to the discussions through the year! :D

Too doouchey a player for my liking. His character is the thing I question. They can have him for 7 years.

Lucic is a north -south player he dominates on the forcheck but brings nothing else to the table. I agree with travel dude. Chiarreli might not know that he's a western conference base team now l. Western conference is based on speed and skill not size and Braun. Calgary's D-men will skate to get out of a forecheck.

I hope you're right about Frolik. I know that Backlund and Frolik work well together defensively, but the cost/benefit doesn't work for me.

Like many on here, I don't mind Brouwer, but I'm not thrilled about the dollar$ and less than amused by the term.

This is why I said BT makes me nervous at FA time. Brouwer is as good as a team makes him? No upgrade from David Jones as far as I'm concerned. BT should of stayed pact. Chad Johnson was a good sign though 917 career save percentage. CJ works with my boy at World pro goaltending in the off season. Not that that matters.

This is why I said BT makes me nervous at FA time. Brouwer is as good as a team makes him? No upgrade from David Jones as far as I'm concerned. BT should of stayed pact. Chad Johnson was a good sign though 917 career save percentage. CJ works with my boy at World pro goaltending in the off season. Not that that matters.

This is a July 1 thing , not a BT thing . You will pay more $ and term to get your player , fact of life. What I liked about what BT said is they had no Plan B. meaning they wanted Brouwer, if they failed that was it . They targeted the player for what he brings .

You look at some of the other deals and this was less silly than most , and i believe he is a HUGE upgrade on David Jones, he is consistent year in and out , and has missed a grand total of 5 games to injury in like 3 years ? more scoring , more grit .. Jones was another who rarely played to his size.

did we overpay ?.. yes.. but so did everybody else today .. what matters is the player .. and this player makes us way better then we were yesterday 

Lucic is a north -south player he dominates on the forcheck but brings nothing else to the table. I agree with travel dude. Chiarreli might not know that he's a western conference base team now l. Western conference is based on speed and skill not size and Braun. Calgary's D-men will skate to get out of a forecheck.

He has 400 points in 600 games with 150 goals. He isn't a prolific goalscorer but he brings ground game goals to the table. He has the stuff to be effective in the playoffs.

As long as Calgary's forwards don't skate to get out of forechecking :) . If you press on the forecheck, the opponent doesn't have time to 'skate out of a forecheck'.

I don't subscribe to the supposition that the West is not about size and braun; You need size and braun, and speed and skill. I think it is a current delusion, that size and braun have no place in hockey. People will quickly lose interest in a game without it.... I know I will.

Didn't the west just recently win a couple of cups with all of the above?

Besides, Troy Brouwer is rough and tumble in the playoffs too. He has some of all four aspects mentioned. I will eventually stop crying about Edmonton getting Lucic; they probably won't want him for seven years :).

I hope you're right about Frolik.  I know that Backlund and Frolik work well together defensively, but the cost/benefit doesn't work for me. 

Like many on here, I don't mind Brouwer, but I'm not thrilled about the dollar$ and less than amused by the term.

As I said I don't see Brouwer as worth more $s than Frolik but 0.2 isn't that big a deal.

As for term he'll be 34 when the contract ends. A lot of bigger name players signed 7 year contracts that take them to about 40 & pay a lot more. They'll have 3 extra years to regret today's signing while Brouwer plays up to his contract.

As a cap space strapped team we didn't do bad. We added 2 NHL goalies, a decent 2nd/3rd line winger (who will be asked to play on the 1st or 2nd) & still have about &14 million left for the Gaudreau & Monahan signings.

The roster doesn't look SC Champ quality but better than a few days ago. We didn't go overboard spending (couldn't to reserve the $s for our pair of 1st line RFAs) but have a more competitive team.

With lots of summer left before training camp maybe we'll get lucky & teams that missed out on the centers & D will come calling for Stajan, Backlund, Wideman or Engelland. Some might require salary retainment but result in prospects/picks we can use to get stronger next year.

La had size and Braun. If you look at J Quicks playoff stats he won it for LA every time. Penguins have little size and Braun this year. Murray stood on his head. Tim Thomas won it for Boston and Chara helped him immensely with his reach and range. Chicago has been with out size and Braun. D Keith always got them out of forecheck trouble. Doughty got LA out of forecheck trouble. Size and Braun are over rated (Anaheim). Skating and smarts will beat size and Braun every time. David and Goliath?

As long as Calgary's forwards don't skate to get out of forechecking :) . If you press on the forecheck, the opponent doesn't have time to 'skate out of a forecheck'.

I don't subscribe to the supposition that the West is not about size and braun; You need size and braun, and speed and skill. I think it is a current delusion, that size and braun have no place in hockey. People will quickly lose interest in a game without it.... I know I will.

Didn't the west just recently win a couple of cups with all of the above?

I have reached my quota of positive votes for the day. :lol:

La had size and Braun. If you look at J Quicks playoff stats he won it for LA every time. Penguins have little size and Braun this year. Murray stood on his head. Tim Thomas won it for Boston and Chara helped him immensely with his reach and range. Chicago has been with out size and Braun. D Keith always got them out of forecheck trouble. Doughty got LA out of forecheck trouble. Size and Braun are over rated (Anaheim). Skating and smarts will beat size and Braun every time. David and Goliath?

La had size and braun, and speed and skill. You can't expect a great big guy to dipsy like a wee guy.

There is a lot of mixed fruits and veggies to compare here. Championships are Nearly Always attributable to great goal tending.

If God was on Goliath's side he would have smoked wee Davey. Unless they change the rules drastically big guys will always stand in the way of small guy's freewheeling. It keeps them honest. Besides, the way they are talking now sounds like discrimination against big guys. Another topic for discussion: There is no place for women in the NHL. Whoa! Now I am in trouble :ph34r:

Troy is easily the best RWer we have had in years. Sure Hudlers point were higher but he had a few great years with great line mates. Brouwer bring a physical game to the top 6 that teams are forced to pay for.

For the first two years he is easily top 2 lines. It is likely he could fall down the depth chart to the 3rd line but he will never reach the 4th under this contract. He can also step up and fill in if a Rw on a higher line gets injured.

The leadership and protection to his young line mates is a huge need.

He actually seems like he may still have more to give than fans have seen in the past.

Remember Gio didn't really hit his prime point wise until he turned 30 so for us to judge so harshly against what in all accounts seems to be opinion is wrong.

It may at first glance seem high, our long in term but I for one reserve my right to judge until I have seen him play in Flames silks. Mainly because I don't want to be one of those guys that end up losing a bet because a GM actually new better than little old me.

Oh I like the CJ signing, way better option than Ortio.

Lol!! Look at JG how many big guys before game time think "I'm going to plaster JG and put him out" They can't catch him. Then he ends up darting around him and scores because of his skill and speed. Big immobile guys were good in the Lindros days but the game has been opened up.

Troy is easily the best RWer we have had in years. Sure Hudlers point were higher but he had a few great years with great line mates. Brouwer bring a physical game to the top 6 that teams are forced to pay for.

For the first two years he is easily top 2 lines. It is likely he could fall down the depth chart to the 3rd line but he will never reach the 4th under this contract. He can also step up and fill in if a Rw on a higher line gets injured.

The leadership and protection to his young line mates is a huge need.

He actually seems like he may still have more to give than fans have seen in the past.

Remember Gio didn't really hit his prime point wise until he turned 30 so for us to judge so harshly against what in all accounts seems to be opinion is wrong.

It may at first glance seem high, our long in term but I for one reserve my right to judge until I have seen him play in Flames silks. Mainly because I don't want to be one of those guys that end up losing a bet because a GM actually new better than little old me.

Oh I like the CJ signing, way better option than Ortio.

It's weird that CJ hasn't been able to stick with a team.

Archived