Troy Brouwer

Going4TheCup

Sure Johnny can dangle his way through but almost every shift he goes back to the bench holding his hand or wrist from a slash.  Bollig was brought in to enforce but he play's so few minutes. Troy will drop in a heart beat if it is called for and is on the ice alot more. When Iggy was here players thought twice because even though Iggy was not a heavy weight he was a stand up guy that demands respect for his team. Brouwer plays the same way. 

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Troy is easily the best RWer we have had in years. Sure Hudlers point were higher but he had a few great years with great line mates. Brouwer bring a physical game to the top 6 that teams are forced to pay for.

For the first two years he is easily top 2 lines. It is likely he could fall down the depth chart to the 3rd line but he will never reach the 4th under this contract. He can also step up and fill in if a Rw on a higher line gets injured.

The leadership and protection to his young line mates is a huge need.

He actually seems like he may still have more to give than fans have seen in the past.

Remember Gio didn't really hit his prime point wise until he turned 30 so for us to judge so harshly against what in all accounts seems to be opinion is wrong.

It may at first glance seem high, our long in term but I for one reserve my right to judge until I have seen him play in Flames silks. Mainly because I don't want to be one of those guys that end up losing a bet because a GM actually new better than little old me.

Oh I like the CJ signing, way better option than Ortio.

I really like what you say here! I have used up all of my 'Like This' for today so I can't give you a click.

I agree at least 100% :)

Sure Johnny can dangle his way through but almost every shift he goes back to the bench holding his hand or wrist from a slash. Bollig was brought in to enforce but he play's so few minutes. Troy will drop in a heart beat if it is called for and is on the ice alot more. When Iggy was here players thought twice because even though Iggy was not a heavy weight he was a stand up guy that demands respect for his team. Brouwer plays the same way.

Agreed, Brouwer clearly fills a need. Monahan isn't tiny but he plays soft. Gaudreau takes a lot of punishment. Plus that line needs someone to retrieve pucks and get to the net.

I have said all along thst the Flames don't need to go out and get a star on the top line. That line (like Frolik and Backlund) can play with anyone. What they needed was to get someone to bring the tools that Monahan and Gaudreau lack and they did that with Brouwer.

Not a fan of the contract and I probably never will be. But it isn't as terribly as Raymond, Stajan, Wideman, Engelland, etc. It is a year to long and about a million too much. Not horrible for a free agent pick up.

You jogged my memory JG did take a lot of cheap shots. He's a pretty tough guy though cause he didn't miss anytime. Except when he and SM and Bouma were to hung over after the super bowl to make it to practice on time and Hartley made them sit a game lol!!

Lol!! Look at JG how many big guys before game time think "I'm going to plaster JG and put him out" They can't catch him. Then he ends up darting around him and scores because of his skill and speed. Big immobile guys were good in the Lindros days but the game has been opened up.

It's weird that CJ hasn't been able to stick with a team.

They finally got Gretzky.

I don't think I was referring to 'big immobile guys' unless I was thinking about me. :)  Big guys are not all immoble; do not be fooled. I think this wide open speed kills game is already becoming last years fad.

La had size and Braun. If you look at J Quicks playoff stats he won it for LA every time. Penguins have little size and Braun this year. Murray stood on his head. Tim Thomas won it for Boston and Chara helped him immensely with his reach and range. Chicago has been with out size and Braun. D Keith always got them out of forecheck trouble. Doughty got LA out of forecheck trouble. Size and Braun are over rated (Anaheim). Skating and smarts will beat size and Braun every time. David and Goliath?

I think "size" is an overused term .. you mention Keith and Doughty , not big , but Nasty, sometimes borderline dirty .. you just dont mess with them. If it came to it , you dont want to drop gloves with either of those 2

I also noticed , for once, Crosby was playing like a big guy in that series as well.

You need that factor and player that keeps other teams honest .

I think you will see Engelland less reigned in next season as well.. BH seemed to frown on those things (unless it was a game start in vancouver lol)

Sure Johnny can dangle his way through but almost every shift he goes back to the bench holding his hand or wrist from a slash.  Bollig was brought in to enforce but he play's so few minutes. Troy will drop in a heart beat if it is called for and is on the ice alot more. When Iggy was here players thought twice because even though Iggy was not a heavy weight he was a stand up guy that demands respect for his team. Brouwer plays the same way. 

Nothing against JG. He does FINE out there. There seems to be plenty of slashes for everyone out there. Bollig is not the kind of 'big player' I would pick first, put it that way. The more this discussion goes on the more I am pleased to see Troy Brouwer joining the Flames.

Nothing against JG. He does FINE out there. There seems to be plenty of slashes for everyone out there. Bollig is not the kind of 'big player' I would pick first, put it that way. The more this discussion goes on the more I am pleased to see Troy Brouwer joining the Flames.

Yup , if Bollig had been actually doing his job Im sure we'd have more room for him , but I guarantee the first time Brouwer drops someone for slashing Johnny he'll be the new fan favorite :)

Agreed, Brouwer clearly fills a need. Monahan isn't tiny but he plays soft. Gaudreau takes a lot of punishment. Plus that line needs someone to retrieve pucks and get to the net.

That is true. Monahan isn't scared to go to the net. He is no pushover. I have seen him stand up to adversity too; not to the knuckle stage but he's no slouch. JG TAKES A LOT OF PUNISHMENT! He has a heart of steel. I look forward to seeing the MGB line stoked up.

I think "size" is an overused term .. you mention Keith and Doughty , not big , but Nasty, sometimes borderline dirty .. you just dont mess with them. If it came to it , you dont want to drop gloves with either of those 2

I also noticed , for once, Crosby was playing like a big guy in that series as well.

You need that factor and player that keeps other teams honest .

I think you will see Engelland less reigned in next season as well.. BH seemed to frown on those things (unless it was a game start in vancouver lol)

I like your perspective again phoenix. You don't need to be George Laraque's size to be 'size'. I am ready to witness a different Flames team under a new coach with a new system this upcoming season! I forgot to mention THE NEW GOALTENDING!!!!

Yup , if Bollig had been actually doing his job Im sure we'd have more room for him , but I guarantee the first time Brouwer drops someone for slashing Johnny he'll be the new fan favorite :)

If Bollig plays more under Gulag maybe we will see something different out of him too but to have Brouwer on the same line with JG will turn some of his intimidators away.

I think before everyone gets carried away thinking Brouwer is some enforcer should probably know over the last 3 seasons he's fought 10 times. This isn't an enforcer out there and you don't pay what they paid for an enforcer. He plays a gritty game but this isn't going to change anything IMO in terms or protecting JG. Brouwer isn't exactly the type of guy you bring in to protect or send a message, really isn't his game.

Not to mention I really think they would prefer Brouwer wth Bennett. They talked a lot about pairs and a veteran presence with Bennett but also mention how happy they are with backlund and frolik. Coach will decide but I think the preference is definetly Bennett- Brouwer and I think that's best. I think Mony and Johng can play with basically anyone, need someone to help Bennett.

I think before everyone gets carried away thinking Brouwer is some enforcer should probably know over the last 3 seasons he's fought 10 times. This isn't an enforcer out there and you don't pay what they paid for an enforcer. He plays a gritty game but this isn't going to change anything IMO in terms or protecting JG. Brouwer isn't exactly the type of guy you bring in to protect or send a message, really isn't his game.

Not to mention I really think they would prefer Brouwer wth Bennett. They talked a lot about pairs and a veteran presence with Bennett but also mention how happy they are with backlund and frolik. Coach will decide but I think the preference is definetly Bennett- Brouwer.

TB will be more of a presence than Hudler and Monahan have been. TB has had 10 scraps in 3 years. That's 3 or 4 a season. Bollig seems to have half a dozen give or take, per NHL season.

Bennett/Brouwer will be interesting too. I am still a big Bennett fan. I would like to see him develop up to his potential. If Brouwer can help, Great!

If things go well, Calgary will now have two strong and talented lines, with the potential for stronger 3rd and 4th lines too.

TB will be more of a presence than Hudler and Monahan have been. TB has had 10 scraps in 3 years. That's 3 or 4 a season. Bollig seems to have half a dozen give or take, per NHL season.

Bennett/Brouwer will be interesting too. I am still a big Bennett fan. I would like to see him develop up to his potential. If Brouwer can help, Great!

We have more options today than yesterday.

Brouwer fits on Bennett's or Monahan's line as a mentor and space clearer.

Frolik fits on any of the top three lines.  He brings offense or defense or both.

Chiasson is only a fit in an offensive role, not as a two way player, so he won't fit with Backlund.

Poirier could get the opportunity to play on Backlund's wing; he's improved his two way play and could be ready if he shows up at camp.

We have Hamilton and Hathaway as possible 13/14th forwards; neither is ready for a full NHL season.  Both can play RW as well.

We have more options today than yesterday.

Brouwer fits on Bennett's or Monahan's line as a mentor and space clearer.

Frolik fits on any of the top three lines.  He brings offense or defense or both.

Chiasson is only a fit in an offensive role, not as a two way player, so he won't fit with Backlund.

Poirier could get the opportunity to play on Backlund's wing; he's improved his two way play and could be ready if he shows up at camp.

We have Hamilton and Hathaway as possible 13/14th forwards; neither is ready for a full NHL season.  Both can play RW as well.

Where will Chiasson fit? I wasn't too thrilled when I saw that deal. What are his strengths? He's not a big goal scorer. Is he a playmaker? His numbers don't seem anything special. You say he's not a two way player. Is he good on the forecheck. Why did the Flames hire him?

Where will Chiasson fit? I wasn't too thrilled when I saw that deal. What are his strengths? He's not a big goal scorer. Is he a playmaker? His numbers don't seem anything special. You say he's not a two way player. Is he good on the forecheck. Why did the Flames hire him?

Chiasson doesn't fit anywhere yet. Kind of like Prybil. We will see what they do in camp and preseason and go from there.

Hey guys, just returned from a  good party.

If I read that correct we have a mixed feeling about the Brouwer signing.

I kinda look at it as i did with the Engelland signing. We got a guy that i wanted us to sign, but for too much. If he plays on the 1st line he could be the missing piece. I just don't like the contract at all. At 4,5 I wanted no longer than 3 years.

I mean the guy is a very consistent producer, but has never achieved 45 points. I think he will be good for us in the first 2 years, after that we will see. 

Hey guys, just returned from a  good party.

If I read that correct we have a mixed feeling about the Brouwer signing.

I kinda look at it as i did with the Engelland signing. We got a guy that i wanted us to sign, but for too much. If he plays on the 1st line he could be the missing piece. I just don't like the contract at all. At 4,5 I wanted no longer than 3 years.

I mean the guy is a very consistent producer, but has never achieved 45 points. I think he will be good for us in the first 2 years, after that we will see. 

I know you aren't saying Engelland is in the same class as Brouwer. Sometimes you gotta pay a little bit more than you would like to but it is still a respectable deal. Some of the other deals in the NHL recently are not as good as this one. They are mentioned earlier in this thread.

I know you aren't saying Engelland is in the same class as Brouwer. Sometimes you gotta pay a little bit more than you would like to but it is still a respectable deal. Some of the other deals in the NHL recently are not as good as this one. They are mentioned earlier in this thread.

I can't really disagree with you, although the last year worries me quite a bit. I mean he is certainly an upgrade to David Jones, but will he be  a 4,5mil player in three years? 

I can't really disagree with you, although the last year worries me quite a bit. I mean he is certainly an upgrade to David Jones, but will he be  a 4,5mil player in three years? 

I sure hope he turns out to be an upgrade to David Jones.

I have only seen limited footage of TB but I have never seen David Jones being that much of an impact player.

I wonder if there is money left to make yet another deal. The two new goalies are costing 4 million less that Hiller and Ramo. That's almost enough to buy another impact player.

Regardless, the rebuilding Flames are ready to make a bigger mark this coming season.

I'm on record saying I don't like Brouwer as a result of an unsubstantiated gut feeling, and the fact that I think he resembles Kessler when his helmet is on, but that aside, I liked his interview today. I liked his enthusiasm. He seems genuinely interested in being here, and that makes me feel better about having him in flames silks. Yes, the contract term and $ is higher than most would attribute to a player with his previous point totals, but with wideman and bouma and bollig coming off the books at the end of the season, I don't see it as an anchor or really big issue moving forward. In fact, I would imagine that if he is slotted on the top line with mony and Johnny, his point totals may exceed his previous stats. I heard or read that he goes to the dirty areas and parks himself in front of the net, 2 qualities that we need more of. Here's hoping our younger guys learn some of those attributes from him. Brouwer could possibly be a great mentor to Ferland, Tkachuk, Bennett.

I also just want to touch on Chiasson. I watched him a bit the past couple of seasons and noticed he has a penchant for driving to the net. Perhaps a little snake bitten in Ottawa, perhaps he was asked to play a style that didn't maximize his best qualities. Personally, I see this signing as a low risk, high reward. He and the puck will be going toward the net, and whether he scores or not, that kind of play will create more opportunity for him and his line mates to score. The fact that he signed for only 1 year, I think Treliving is using Chiasson as a stop-gap for Pribyl this season, while giving him an audition to remain with the team beyond.

I'm liking the Chad Johnson pickup as well. :)

I wonder if there is money left to make yet another deal. The two new goalies are costing 4 million less that Hiller and Ramo. That's almost enough to buy another impact player.

Regardless, the rebuilding Flames are ready to make a bigger mark this coming season.

I'm also curious if we have some money left to spend, after the Monahan and Gaudreau signing. Probably not, but you never know.

I'm also curious if we have some money left to spend, after the Monahan and Gaudreau signing. Probably not, but you never know.

they have a little money to spend if Money and JH divide up 14 mil.

However just because they have some money to spend does not mean they have to spend it all.

This is one of those moves I didn't support on June 30. Overpaying for depth gets teams into trouble. I am also not a huge fan of the player. His possession numbers are not strong his offensive ability is limited, he lacks speed, and I think he gets too many points for size and the dreaded "intangibles".

I still don't love it on July 1. But I have warmed up to it for a number of reasons.

1) Compared to the other free agency contracts Brouwer's isn't bad.

2) What else were they going to do? We don't have anyone in the system, I don't see better options in free agency, and finding a better solution in trade would have meant targeting a bad contract or paying a high price.

3) He has been buried defensively in Washington and St Louis. Thst tells me coaches trust him. It also excuses some of the possession numbers. Plus, he may see a bump in his numbers playing in Calgary.

4) He is something we really needed. RH RW. Size. Leadership. He makes us a fair bit better immediately.

5) All of our other bad contracts will be gone before he falls off. As long as Treliving doesn't get into the habit of bringing on more questionable contracts then this one won't hurt us.

Archived