• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though Tkachuk is listed as a LW, I noticed while watching hilights that he played in his off wing a lot with Marner and Dvorak. Also Marner and Dvorak are like the OHL versions of Gaudreau and Monahan.

At first I thought he was destined to play LW on the 2nd line with Bennett but now I am not so sure. I actually think we may have found our future 1st line RW.

He did mention too in a few of his interviews he feels comfortable on either wing. Mentioned sometimes it's "fun" to come down off wing.

Time will tell but I'm find with either scenario. I like pairs so long term I hope he teams up with Bennett but it's nice to know the flexibility is there.

He did mention too in a few of his interviews he feels comfortable on either wing. Mentioned sometimes it's "fun" to come down off wing.

Time will tell but I'm find with either scenario. I like pairs so long term I hope he teams up with Bennett but it's nice to know the flexibility is there.

He did, but I still think his preference is to play left wing. I am with you that he matches up well with Bennett. Monahan/Gaudreau, Bennett/Tkachuk, and Backlund/Frolik match up really well and define your top 9 for a long long time. Assuming both Bennett and Frolik mature into the players we hope they do.

If we go pairs you could go:

Tkachuk, Monahan, XXX

Gaudreau, Bennett, XXX

OR

Gaudreau, Monahan, XXX

Tkachuk, Bennett, XXX

The last set of pairs they'd come in two different waves. One line in your face while the other with cerebral skill.

Or both lines in the first set has at least one in your face type.

If we go pairs you could go:

Tkachuk, Monahan, XXX

Gaudreau, Bennett, XXX

OR

Gaudreau, Monahan, XXX

Tkachuk, Bennett, XXX

The last set of pairs they'd come in two different waves. One line in your face while the other with cerebral skill.

Or both lines in the first set has at least one in your face type.

I think the Flames should add a physical RW to the Gaudreau/Monahan pair and put Bennett/Tkachuk together. I also think the Flames should plan on signing Backlund long term as long as he is healthy this season. Having Backlund/Frolik as a pair with the other two pairings gives you a really great and well put together top 9 for years to come.

I think the Flames should add a physical RW to the Gaudreau/Monahan pair and put Bennett/Tkachuk together. I also think the Flames should plan on signing Backlund long term as long as he is healthy this season. Having Backlund/Frolik as a pair with the other two pairings gives you a really great and well put together top 9 for years to come.

Just because it's suggested elsewhere....

Hartnell.  Add him to either of the top 2 lines.  For now, he could be Sammy's wingman.  When Tkachuk joins the team, Hartnell shifts to RW.  Or, you add him to Johnny-Monahan on RW.  Either way, you have a physical element to the top 2 lines. 

Even though Tkachuk is listed as a LW, I noticed while watching hilights that he played in his off wing a lot with Marner and Dvorak. Also Marner and Dvorak are like the OHL versions of Gaudreau and Monahan.

At first I thought he was destined to play LW on the 2nd line with Bennett but now I am not so sure. I actually think we may have found our future 1st line RW.

Being a Londoner and having watched the Knights play many games, I totally agree with this comparison.  Marner and Dvorak comparisons to Gaudreau and Monahan are spot on. Marner, like Gaudreau makes unbelievable passes, and Dvorak is the line's main finisher like Monahan. Whats great is Tkachuk and Marner routinely play on their off-wings and the trio make exceptional short/quick passes in close/tight knit quarters.  Tkachuk's passing is underated. He has great vision and is exceptionally good at deflection goals, which I might add is something the Flames really lack.

I can definitely see Tkachuk playing on Gaudreau/Monahan line as he'll add the gritty/dirtiness that that line desparately needs.

Can’t say I know much about him and I don’t have the opportunity or time to take in OHL hockey, I like what I’m hearing and reading though.  Enjoyed his interview as well, he looks like an tough, skilled and intelligent kid who will soon be ready for the bright lights.

Well I was watching the draft and seen him slip, all I could think about was Tkachuk and Hovart and it was making me sick, we doged a bullet with this kid and now he's going to play on soon to be one of the nastiest top lines in hockey.

Benny and Tkachuk are a match made in heaven. And if Poirier can bounce back and find his game, I still have hopes that he could be a good fit on Benny's other side.

Interesting note, Tkachuk was given #19 for development camp, the rest of the roster has number in the 60's and a above.

He should and will play to make the team.

But part of me hopes he doesn't.    Even with Monahan, sometimes I wonder if he would have reached a higher level with another year of junior.

Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, I'm in favour of a player returning to junior. 

Tkachuk might be physically ready, but London has such a good program.  I think it's absolutely the best place for him to develop.

Do you think OHL coaching and program is better than the coaching he would get from Flames? All of the Flames training, skating, diet, medical staff is right here.

I think back to Monahan and how everyone said sending him back to Ottawa was best, yet he stayed and is among the best of his draft class.

It is easy to mother him and say send him back, but much more difficult to decide if he will really progress much with more of the same level of opposition. Often when players progress at a young age, it is because the level of competition challenges them to be better.

Do you think OHL coaching and program is better than the coaching he would get from Flames? All of the Flames training, skating, diet, medical staff is right here.

I think back to Monahan and how everyone said sending him back to Ottawa was best, yet he stayed and is among the best of his draft class.

It is easy to mother him and say send him back, but much more difficult to decide if he will really progress much with more of the same level of opposition. Often when players progress at a young age, it is because the level of competition challenges them to be better.

i would not be all that surprised to see him stay , he was already seeking out Monahan for workouts etc to get ready like he did.

That being said, camp will tell the tale.. if hes ready then great , but if not then i do believe heavy playing time, another WJC, etc, will be way more beneficial than sheltering him to under 10 min / night on a low line.

But my gut tells me he shows well and stays

I think another factor is that hes not making the transition to center as bennett and mony had to do, the transition to wing is much easier then say defence or center. As many people have said hes probably physically ready, the orginization is high on him. But I think because of our lack of options at the wing with high end talent it might be easier for him. I still would assume he will need to have an amazing camp, but I would its more likely for him to stay then go back to junior.

People keep saying he needs to get stronger.  He's not physically any smaller than Bennett or a lot of NHL players.  He needs to train to be able to play at NHL speed and competition.  That will not happen in the OHL.  Maybe he isn't ready, but I think he will make a good case for it.

No, I don't think the Knights can offer up the same training, diet and medical staff that the Flames can.  What they can offer, is first line ice time in an environment that is designed to prepare young men to become professional hockey players.  He will be asked to drive the bus and be a mentor while further developing his hockey and leadership skills.  The Flames can offer him 12 minutes of playing time per game while using up the first year of his ELC.

This is an important distinction, IMO...  Last year, Tkachuk was an (admittedly) important spoke in a pretty impressive wheel.  With Dvorak and Marner gone, I expect Tkachuk will become "the guy" in London.  I think that in itself is an important growth opportunity.

No, I don't think the Knights can offer up the same training, diet and medical staff that the Flames can.  What they can offer, is first line ice time in an environment that is designed to prepare young men to become professional hockey players.  He will be asked to drive the bus and be a mentor while further developing his hockey and leadership skills.  The Flames can offer him 12 minutes of playing time per game while using up the first year of his ELC.

This is an important distinction, IMO...  Last year, Tkachuk was an (admittedly) important spoke in a pretty impressive wheel.  With Dvorak and Marner gone, I expect Tkachuk will become "the guy" in London.  I think that in itself is an important growth opportunity.

The Flames have a lot of resources for sure.  But the focus on the big club is to win.  In junior the focus is still on winning, but there is also a lot of support given to development.  Some of it isn't even the on ice stuff.  Its learning to live on your own, pay the bills, etc.  Throwing a kid into the NHL and giving him 900K to 3.5M per year job along with celebrity status isn't the best thing for a lot of kids.  

The Flames have a lot of resources for sure.  But the focus on the big club is to win.  In junior the focus is still on winning, but there is also a lot of support given to development.  Some of it isn't even the on ice stuff.  Its learning to live on your own, pay the bills, etc.  Throwing a kid into the NHL and giving him 900K to 3.5M per year job along with celebrity status isn't the best thing for a lot of kids.  

Exactly

And it's good all the Flames staff is here, because that would be weird if they were based in Medicine Hat, imho.

The Flames have all the resources and minutes in place to develop Tkachuk into  a third or fourth line checking role successfully.

The OHL has all the resources to develop him as a superstar, and potential captain, that leads his team to another championship.   All the resources to give him experience in the pressure situations.   To be the difference between winning and losing for his team.   To develop leadership qualities.

I guess it depends what's more important to us. 

Even with Monahan, I feel he missed out on an opportunity to develop some of those things more.   Although in that case, he forced the Flames hand.  And Tkachuk might too, but even then it's not necesarily the best thing for him.

And it's good all the Flames staff is here, because that would be weird if they were based in Medicine Hat, imho.

The Flames have all the resources and minutes in place to develop Tkachuk into  a third or fourth line checking role successfully.

The OHL has all the resources to develop him as a superstar, and potential captain, that leads his team to another championship.   All the resources to give him experience in the pressure situations.   To be the difference between winning and losing for his team.   To develop leadership qualities.

I guess it depends what's more important to us. 

Even with Monahan, I feel he missed out on an opportunity to develop some of those things more.   Although in that case, he forced the Flames hand.  And Tkachuk might too, but even then it's not necesarily the best thing for him.

I am envisioning that Tkachuk is slotted to be Bennetts winger and in a 2nd line agitating scoring role. I think Backlund's 2nd line will become the 3rd line but continue on with the checking role.

Archived