I might be reading to much into it, but the fact they gave him a hockey number suggests the Flames are leaning towards him starting in the NHL.

Burke has a long standing tradition of giving Nascar numbers to the kids and only awarding them with a hockey number when they have truly made it. All of the other prospects at camps have the high number.

I think they gave him a number as motivation, it's there way of saying "here you go kid, it's right there for the taking"

I'm almost certain Benny was going to be sent back to Kingston had he not been injured, the difference here is that Matthew is physically mature, he's not as scrawny as Sam was in his first camp and has grown up in this league.

If you could go back and draft Monny, Sam and Tkachuk at the same time and asked me which of the three has the best chance of making it as an 18 year old? I would have put my money on the latter.

This group has proven that they can bring in young players, adding guys like Eliot and Brouwer only adds to that leadership already in place, so I don't think it's all that far of a reach to think this kid could be starting his NHL career as soon as October

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$925k AAV, $92.5k Signing Bonus, no Performance bonuses.

I expect that he'll be back in London for another year to see how he fares without Dvorak and possibly Marner.

Reportedly, his skating still needs some work (kinda like his dad).

e2e3ccca22d253df620cec96435f94e1.png

$925k AAV, $92.5k Signing Bonus, no Performance bonuses.

I expect that he'll be back in London for another year to see how he fares without Dvorak and possibly Marner.

Reportedly, his skating still needs some work (kinda like his dad).

e2e3ccca22d253df620cec96435f94e1.png

CapFriendly (@CapFriendly) tweeted at 1:01 PM on Thu, Jul 07, 2016:

Matthew Tkachuk #Flames

EL max of $925,000 across all 3 yrs

+ $850,000 'A' bonuses across all 3 yrs

No 'B' bonuses

In Development Camp his competitiveness really showed through, as it did today.  Once the puck got into the zone he comes into his own, helping on the cycle and digging the puck out, as well as making small plays in tight.  He had several good chances today but Parsons stoned him (and pretty much everyone else too, except Tuulola).

I am not entirely sure why there is concern about Tkachuk's skating. I do not see it as a problem. Monahan had the same knock against him a few years ago and I do not think his skating is poor. Maybe he is such a solid all-round player that they go after one of the few things that he can work on.

I am not entirely sure why there is concern about Tkachuk's skating. I do not see it as a problem. Monahan had the same knock against him a few years ago and I do not think his skating is poor. Maybe he is such a solid all-round player that they go after one of the few things that he can work on.

I would agree with this assessment.  He is not what I would call super speedy but its not like its a problem either.  If/When he improves the skating it'll give him that extra step to break past defenders or break out, making him all the more effective.

I think with Tkachuk and Monahan it is the lack of top end speed and the short burst quickness. For me that is what is missing from Monahan's game that would take him from a very good center to an elite center.

While I agree Tkachuk's skating isn't a problem I also agree with Jtech that his acceleration needs works. For Tkahcuk his first 2-3 steps are where he struggles a bit and its just choppy. If he can smooth that out he'll get a bit more acceleration which I think would help him get to areas faster or pull away from dmen. Right now in junior you can see how his hockey sense allows him to find holes and create breakaways instead of his speed creating that. If he could add the speed element he'll become that much more dangerous.

Monahan Drastically improved his skating from the time he was drafted until the time he was in training camp.

IMHO, Monahan should absolutely Not be used as a template for how to handle a 6th overall pick.   He was the Absolute exception to the rule, earning that spot like he did in his first season.   And there is Still a question as to whether it was the best long term development option for him.

Tkachuk IS Monahan-like.  So much so that sometimes I wonder if he should be a winger or a center.

But you know who else he reminds me of?

This guy named Keith (also a center):

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5414

Also drafted in the first round, and Took another year to develop (Boston College) before becoming a future hall of famer.  They have incredibly similar styles.

We have a Proven development model for that set of DNA there.  Monahan's development model is not only less relevant, but still largely unproven.

Monahan Drastically improved his skating from the time he was drafted until the time he was in training camp.

IMHO, Monahan should absolutely Not be used as a template for how to handle a 6th overall pick.   He was the Absolute exception to the rule, earning that spot like he did in his first season.   And there is Still a question as to whether it was the best long term development option for him.

Tkachuk IS Monahan-like.  So much so that sometimes I wonder if he should be a winger or a center.

But you know who else he reminds me of?

This guy named Keith (also a center):

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5414

Also drafted in the first round, and Took another year to develop (Boston College) before becoming a future hall of famer.  They have incredibly similar styles.

We have a Proven development model for that set of DNA there.  Monahan's development model is not only less relevant, but still largely unproven.

Well he was 18 in his draft year and only played one year of college.  

I find it funny that senior played so recently.  2010?  Wow, not so long ago.

Wherever he plays, I hope to see him in the WJC.

Well he was 18 in his draft year and only played one year of college.  

Yeah....nobody is suggesting Tkachuk is more than a year out.  It could happen but it would admittedly be a disapointment for his calibre.

We're basically hoping for this season or next season.

Hoping to see him in the WJC as well.   Still dissapointed the Flames took that from Monahan.   Everything seems so urgent mid-season, until you look back.

Yeah....nobody is suggesting Tkachuk is more than a year out.  It could happen but it would admittedly be a disapointment for his calibre.

We're basically hoping for this season or next season.

Hoping to see him in the WJC as well.   Still dissapointed the Flames took that from Monahan.   Everything seems so urgent mid-season, until you look back.

I don't know if that was Hartley or Burke or what.  We seemed to be in a win at all costs mode.  

I don't know if that was Hartley or Burke or what.  We seemed to be in a win at all costs mode.  

Hard to say...I guess we may as well blame Hartley now.   It's not like many teams gave up their players....but then, that copying the Oilers never got anybody anywhere either.

99% of the reason:  Because we just drafted him, and, well, why shouldn't he?

other 1%:  As mentioned above.  Need to improve skating first.

Well I dont think you just send him back because you just drafted him, I dont know why everyone says that, not just you.

IF his skating isent good enough in camp and his play is struggling you send him back in my opinion, but not for any other reason.

Archived