http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=233030

Well, I think we may have done it again....We got a top-4 player with a 6th overall pick :)

Love the compete, the character, the blood lines, and the talent!

Best player in the OHL playoffs, by the account of many.   Proof of jumping that next level under pressure...which is what I like the MOST about this pick.

Welcome to the Flames, Matthew!

Thoughts?     Is he making the team this year?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the pick. He was my 4th ranked guy and I think the fit is perfect for what the flames need.

As far as next year it's not impossible but I would say improbable. Tkachuk has NHL hockey sense but I think he needs to get a bit stronger and faster. His skating is fine but I think he needs a little bit more of a burst his hockey makes up for it in junior but won't in NHL.

He's close though. If he doesn't next year I think he will the year after.

He does nothing exceptional but he does everything very well including all the intangibles. I don't think the ceiling is high but the bottom is high. He's going to be a good player. Excited to have him here.

I think he is somewhere around a Dvorak or Marner.  Whatever that is.  

I didn't know that Kevin Hayes' cousin is Tkachuk.  Hmmm.  Get that kid here too.

Hayes is his cousin. Reunite the cousins, and reunite Hayes with the Gaudreau!

Looks like we were thinking the same thing.

http://www.tsn.ca/flames-go-with-f-tkachuk-with-sixth-pick-1.515110

Cool read. He says he had Calgary top on his list and was impressed with Treliving. A Good sign.

Any concerns about the player's morales should be laid to rest with the fine community-oriented players that the Flames have.  Between the leadership group, players like Colborne and Elliott, and people like Burke, he should become a good fit.

http://www.tsn.ca/flames-go-with-f-tkachuk-with-sixth-pick-1.515110

Cool read. He says he had Calgary top on his list and was impressed with Treliving. A Good sign.

I can see that, as I was watching the draft, when the nucks drafted juolevi, they showed tkachuk on the screen and he looked like the happiest kid on the planet when he realized the flames would most likely be drafting him. I got the impression from that he looked like he was struggling not to smile a bunch, great to have a kid who is excited to play here. 

Any concerns about the player's morales should be laid to rest with the fine community-oriented players that the Flames have.  Between the leadership group, players like Colborne and Elliott, and people like Burke, he should become a good fit.

I was pumped to see gio and mony come out to the draft to say hello to our new 1st rounder.

I think people are really quick to put a ceiling on Tkachuk and I don't think they should. I get why because when you draft someone that high you are typically looking for a feature, something that sticks out as to why they are ranked that high and with Tkachuk nothing does. I don't think it's wise to right off someone who competes as hard as Tkachuk does with the amount of skill he has.

Honestly Tkachuk reminds me a ton of Corey perry and Perry came out of London with very similar question and people questioning his ceiling. Hopefully Tkachuk follows the same path and proves them wrong too. He would have to improve his skating too, but Perry wasn't though of to be a good skater either but he made it work.

I am looking forward to

Gaudreau-Monahan-TBD

Tkachuk-Bennett-TBD

TBD-Backlund-Frolik

That is the makings of a really solid top 9. Add that to Giordano, Brodie, Hamilton and Elliot, Gilles and I am REALLY liking where the team is headed.

I think that a lot of people are projecting him to the top line,  Kevin Hayes (MT's cousin) tweeted him that Johnny's like his passes a certain way.

Congrats cuz, @TKACHUKycheese_ on being drafted by the flames. @johngaudreau03 likes his passes in stride and back door tap-ins.

I actually think Bennett is a better player to put him with, as you suggest.  The two have a similar in your face, go the net, gritty style. If Pribyl could make the club this or next year and we picked up Hayes, we could have a solid top 9.   

I think that a lot of people are projecting him to the top line,  Kevin Hayes (MT's cousin) tweeted him that Johnny's like his passes a certain way.

Congrats cuz, @TKACHUKycheese_ on being drafted by the flames. @johngaudreau03 likes his passes in stride and back door tap-ins.

I actually think Bennett is a better player to put him with, as you suggest.  The two have a similar in your face, go the net, gritty style. If Pribyl could make the club this or next year and we picked up Hayes, we could have a solid top 9.   

I think Tkachuk - Bennett will be the Flames top line in a few years.  Second line will be Gaudreau - Monahan... if all goes well.

I am so pumped we got Tkachuk, I knew one of the Oilers or Canucks would make a mistake.

This guy on a line with Bennett is just scary to think about, they will give teams fits.

Tkachuk is a great passer, I think a lot of people mis-read him as a scorer, and while he can score he seems like more of a passer. That's alright because Bennett can bury.

I think people are really quick to put a ceiling on Tkachuk and I don't think they should. I get why because when you draft someone that high you are typically looking for a feature, something that sticks out as to why they are ranked that high and with Tkachuk nothing does. I don't think it's wise to right off someone who competes as hard as Tkachuk does with the amount of skill he has.

Honestly Tkachuk reminds me a ton of Corey perry and Perry came out of London with very similar question and people questioning his ceiling. Hopefully Tkachuk follows the same path and proves them wrong too. He would have to improve his skating too, but Perry wasn't though of to be a good skater either but he made it work.

I can't really pick out anything wrong with Tkachuk's game to be honest.  He has almost no holes and i don't think his skating is that bad.  It's just, he hasn't shown anything elite whereas a player like Alex Nylander has shown an elite shot.  Corey Perry was splitting Ds and going inside-out in Juniors and there was doubt he could do that at the NHL level.  He was too flashy.

Anyways, i'm okay with Tkachuk.  From my viewings of him, he is an excellent complementary piece almost like Patrick Sharp for the Blackhawks who was a textbook X's and O's player that you can count on in any situation.  Sharp did nothing elite but he did everything right.  Think Patrick Sharp add some grit and you've got yourself Tkachuk,  He will be a fine player.

I really like Tkachuk and I think we have a very good player. The best thing is he can play with Bennett or Monahan and play a good game with either. Bennett and him though, that makes me excited. Can you imagine those two out against Vancouver? But I could see Tkachuck with Mony and JG on the powerplay.

I wont say we got the best player in the draft (Matthews most likely gets that honour), but I will say we got a steal at 6th.

Exactly.

Are you Brian Burke?  :)

He said basically the exact same thing to Steinberg.  Skating not super great due to strength, but no technical flaws.  Like Perry, he will blow past you to score, or just make your life miserable for a night.  Has a similar amount of sandpaper as Bennett.  Burke says he needs to gain strength to be a NHL speed player.

Archived