Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, The_Snowbear said:

Im really curious who they dig up now im Really really tired of the Coaching rivolving Door Get a coach you know that Right the Ship or Dont bother

I'm really torn.. we only have until Friday to try and Hire Peters, but Trotz could be available by Monday :)  And if he doesnt get fired I'd love a Mulligan on Rierden

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Many will cheer but I think it sucks it didn't work out. I do believe GG is a very smart coach and a good coach but this team and its makeup was the wrong fit unfortunately.  Simply can't swap out the players or half the players so coach has to take the fall, it's what they had to do. 

I think that you are bang on for the most part cross. Coaches do take the fall for others too often. Having said that, it appears that GG needs to develop a bit given the play. He inherited a weird roster with obvious deficiencies. He also had his assistants foisted upon him. Your posts suggesting patience are worth serious consideration. 

What do we as fans really know? I thought that Hartley was a decent fellow while players suggested that he was too harsh. At my age, I am not sure what that (too harsh) means anymore. One of my minor hockey coaches defined a bag skate as one where every player pukes at the end. Most coaches broke stuff, yelled etc. That was normal to me, and I was hardly making bank.

I am not cheering myself, but I am happy a change was made. The writing was on the wall. 

8 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

. Your posts suggesting patience are worth serious consideration. 

Just to be clear I don't think Treliving is doing the wrong thing here. If I were Treliving I had done the same thing. The PP, he team falling on their face and GG not doing much about it warranted a new coach. 

I just think it sucks it didn't work out

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Pretty much sums it up.

Yup I think anyone expecting firing Gulutzan to be the cure all is going to be dissapointed. Flames did a lot of good 5 on 5 last year  a component PP probably gets them in the playoffs. 

On 2018-04-15 at 0:30 PM, MAC331 said:

Really ? why do you think this team is a hard fix right now ? I think we are another season and a few good players from becoming a very good team.

From the net out one more season of having Smith will pave the way to our good young goaltending.

Splitting up Brodie and Hamonic could actually benefit this team to bring along our younger defensemen and be the strength we wanted this season.

If we were to play our current players in positions of strength we would be very strong LW and down the middle at C. RW is where some attention needs to be applied IMO.

We haven't had a top line RW since Iginla was traded and we need an real answer for this position. I have every confidence we have a good pool of RWers building for other lines and should be in good shape real soon. I would have loved getting TJ Oshie which didn't happen but now I think BT should persue either Neal or Grabner from Free Agency. Another may be this Mikael Lundquist from the Swedish league and I'm sure there are a few others I have overlooked but a top line RW is our real need IMO.

I think there isn’t much availalable for our holes, and to use, say Bennett/Brodie will create another hole.

We’ve played big splash cards, Hamilton, Elliott, Brouwer, Smith, Hamonic.

Have they really made a lot of difference?

We have a great 1st line but without a bonafide #1 RW.

Then we have a 3rd line, 4th line and an AHL line.

Many won’t agree but it’s my opinion.

We’ve forced the NHL on Lazar. Sure he’s fast and tries but he needs A time, not 6-7mins/gm. Hathaway’s an effective 4th line RW, but we need him at 3rd.

I have a big worry we’ll give Stajan a mil for one more.

We’ll go into next year with huge expectations of Jankowski and Bennett, because it’s what we do.

We need too many guys playing up the lineup as regulars, not injury.

I believe our fragility is too many guys on the roster are in over their heads, the annoying part is they get put there with full expectation of success. When it starts going a little south, it snowballs the lack of confidence.

We need a lot of changes so my prayer is we can have Mangiapane, Dubé and Klimchuk come in ready to give us a jolt through the roster. Give Anderson Stone’s spot, give Wotherspoon the 7, big deal.

Then maybe a FA add can help. But we don’t have a lot of options. Sure, sign Tavares....leave the other holes unchecked. I feel that’s what we’ve done in our big splashes. “We’ll get around to that later”...well, later’s here.

59 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Pretty much sums it up.

In defense of GG, when your shooting % is as low as ours was it is in part due to bad luck, injuries, and poor confidence rather than an issue with the systems being played.  We could have gone into next season without changing a thing and possibly made the playoffs (not saying that's a wise strategy, just a distinct possibility).

That said, in my mind the nail in the coffin was the home record.  Home ice advantage isn't just a saying, and while the effects are statistically not enormous, they are still supposed to be present.  Sleeping in your own bed, familiarity of the facilities and ice, and the big one (for coaches anyway) being last change.  The home team is generally able to get the line match-ups they want more often than their opponents, yet given that opportunity we actually performed worse.  This team came out flat almost every home game this season, fell behind early, would crater in the face of adversity, and generally just play from behind all the time.  Sure,we outplay the opposition most nights, but when you basically spot the other team 1-2 goals every game before you start playing, it's tough to succeed.  And these problems were definitely worse at home, when the coach theoretically has more control over the flow of the game.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I think Gulutzan is a good coach, but might be best suited to being an assistant or associate coach. Never like to see someone lose their job, these guys have families to look after. Hopefully they all find work.

Just to be clear, Gully was on a 3 year deal, so he was fired.  It probably means he gets the 3rd year paid out.

You mentioned a few name.  What about Trotz.  He's probably done this week.

Very successful with the Preds until the end, then took the Caps from an Ovi-offense to a more balanced team.

They may never get to the SCF, but a lot of that is the GM trading away good pieces and bringing in crap.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Yup I think anyone expecting firing Gulutzan to be the cure all is going to be dissapointed. Flames did a lot of good 5 on 5 last year  a component PP probably gets them in the playoffs. 

Even strength was fine yes, but there are reasons our goals were down. We can say unlucky because then shooting percentage was so low, but if I were coaching against the flames, I would be ok with the flames having the puck as well. All of our shots are from the outside, right at the goalie, and if there are rebounds, no one was there to pounce on them. 

Is it the system or do the players choose to play perimeter hockey? 

Someone said in another thread that we have fast players, with some anchors, yet still looked really slow. 

Cross says we play the same system as the Pens. We look wat slower than they do. They push the pace, while we seem to skate it up ice. I dunno...

i want to see tempo

11 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Cross says we play the same system as the Pens. We look wat slower than they do. They push the pace, while we seem to skate it up ice. I dunno...

i want to see tempo

Pens have better players.  Especially better goalie and Centers.

That's the difference.

17 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Even strength was fine yes, but there are reasons our goals were down. We can say unlucky because then shooting percentage was so low, but if I were coaching against the flames, I would be ok with the flames having the puck as well. All of our shots are from the outside, right at the goalie, and if there are rebounds, no one was there to pounce on them. 

Is it the system or do the players choose to play perimeter hockey? 

Someone said in another thread that we have fast players, with some anchors, yet still looked really slow. 

i want to see tempo

More tempo is certainly a reasonable ask of the new coach, I would agree. Flames could, and should be, faster in transition. Hey were last year, but switched this year. 

I don't agree the flames play perimeter hockey. They did down the stretch when their injuries pilled up and they started the throw everything on net and hope game plan, but for much of the year this team generated a lot of chances for good scoring areas. I think they need to do a better job of getting goalies to move but the idea this system is based areound perimeter play is false. 

Peeps said it best for the Pens. All I will add is I think there were plenty of games the team looked fast. I think the whole slow thing has more to do with their effort and consistency and not the system. 

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Pens have better players.  Especially better goalie and Centers.

That's the difference.

Ya, of course, a few of the best in the world, but the rest move quite fast as well. 

Better goalie is fine to say, yet ours is the reason we were still close until Christmas.

we had a Satoshi Nakamototy start. The players weren’t ready from day 1 playing a system they already knew. There’s no excuse for that. 

I see the game differently than cross. I am more of the eye test, and I think it’s a motivation thing.

the players didn’t get up for games, then when they did they couldn’t hold leads, or became fragile. 

Then well enough to win to win if they could score, but that’s not good enough. Then when it mattered, the lack of goals put more pressure on the goalies to make saves and they didn’t...

personnel and coaching. It’s everyone. 

18 minutes ago, cross16 said:

More tempo is certainly a reasonable ask of the new coach, I would agree. Flames could, and should be, faster in transition. Hey were last year, but switched this year. 

I don't agree the flames play perimeter hockey. They did down the stretch when their injuries pilled up and they started the throw everything on net and hope game plan, but for much of the year this team generated a lot of chances for good scoring areas. I think they need to do a better job of getting goalies to move but the idea this system is based areound perimeter play is false. 

Peeps said it best for the Pens. All I will add is I think there were plenty of games the team looked fast. I think the whole slow thing has more to do with their effort and consistency and not the system. 

agreed.. i think back to the Win in Tampa. That was how we are capable of playing .

We swarmed, we hit. We didn't stop skating . We play with that or degree of intensity every night , we'd have been Challenging Vegas for the top spot.

I agree with what you said earlier, it is too bad . because GG is a good coach .. but unless he was throwing sticks his players didn't stay up .

I agree he had to go , but I would hate to be players right now.. they just made BT fire His guy, and he's totally correct , this doesn't stop here.. 

Not gonna lie, I would be thrilled to see a Sutter re-hire . He may have sucked as a GM, but you never questioned the identity of this team when he was coaching it . Plus, I think he has unfinished business here . I truly believe had he stayed as just coach , we'd have a couple of cups as well.

I loved what BT said in the FAN 960 interview as well.. he stated emphatically that budget is not a restraint to hire a coach , he has full authority to hire the right coach regardless of the cost 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I see the game differently than cross. I am more of the eye test, and I think it’s a motivation thing

When I reference analytics They back up why my eyes see. If analytics disagree with my eye test, then it challenges the way I see it, but ultimately the eye test is what is paramount. 

For the flames, the numbers support my eye test. I only reference this because it seems some think I don't watch the games and only view numbers. 

16 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think there isn’t much availalable for our holes, and to use, say Bennett/Brodie will create another hole.

We’ve played big splash cards, Hamilton, Elliott, Brouwer, Smith, Hamonic.

Have they really made a lot of difference?

We have a great 1st line but without a bonafide #1 RW.

Then we have a 3rd line, 4th line and an AHL line.

Many won’t agree but it’s my opinion.

We’ve forced the NHL on Lazar. Sure he’s fast and tries but he needs A time, not 6-7mins/gm. Hathaway’s an effective 4th line RW, but we need him at 3rd.

I have a big worry we’ll give Stajan a mil for one more.

We’ll go into next year with huge expectations of Jankowski and Bennett, because it’s what we do.

We need too many guys playing up the lineup as regulars, not injury.

I believe our fragility is too many guys on the roster are in over their heads, the annoying part is they get put there with full expectation of success. When it starts going a little south, it snowballs the lack of confidence.

We need a lot of changes so my prayer is we can have Mangiapane, Dubé and Klimchuk come in ready to give us a jolt through the roster. Give Anderson Stone’s spot, give Wotherspoon the 7, big deal.

Then maybe a FA add can help. But we don’t have a lot of options. Sure, sign Tavares....leave the other holes unchecked. I feel that’s what we’ve done in our big splashes. “We’ll get around to that later”...well, later’s here.

I think this team is getting close however unreal expectations keep getting in the way. The splash cards I had no problem with any of them at their times of signing because they were needs we had. Brouwer is the only one I would take back. Hamilton and Hamonic are the type of quality defensemen the team needs. Hamonic's start was rough but our need for RHS-RD still exists today. Elliott and Johnson were to resolve a bad goalie situation and for the most part did but to some not well enough. Smith now helps bridge us to our young Goaltenders. These types of moves IMO were mostly all purpose driven.

I agree with your description of our line make up partly because of certain player's progress not fulfilling the needs and all the experimenting to go along with the lines in attempting to find answers. I disagree they will keep Stajan when they have Shore or Lazar to replace him.

I think we should go into next season with huge expectations on Jankowski and Bennett but hopefully the next coach sets them up for success not continuous floundering.

It wouldn't bother me to have Klimchuk, Mangiapane and Dube developing in the AHL as depth. Definitely would like to see Stone traded now and replaced with Andersson. Wotherspoon I hope gets the opportunity but no big deal if our #7th comes from outside.

Tavares will not becoming to Calgary so forget that idea. Everyone wants scoring and truthfully I don't see us being the high bidder on any of the premier UFAs. Personally I hope BT can move Brouwer and Stone out and use RW additions to better the team with some much needed attitude. I know some will disagree but I would sign Ryan Reaves and trade for Tom Wilson from WAS if we have the ammunition. I would move Frolik to our top line and form a new line of Tkachuk, Jankowski and Foo. If Foo doesn't cut it we have others that we could try there. Why Frolik with JG?SM he has the experience, can score and will provided the defense the other two lack better than Ferland.

• 1 month later...

Archived