Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cross16 said:

That being said the key to this off-season will be to avoid the trap of blaming this all on coaching. Even though I think he needs to be let go I still do not believe coaching is the biggest issue plaguing this team. Need to ensure players are accountable for this too and IMO they need at least 1, probably 2 bigger trades that shake things up. 

I don't think the blame is all on the coaches.  Two years and they still can't play his system.  We have a horrible bottom 6.  We have Stone that is just okay, but plays minutes closer to a 2nd pairing gut.  He can't hit the net.  

There are a few player who seem to think this is just a hobby.  I can't tell you if Monahan and Ferland are badly hurt and can't p[lay that well becaause of it, but it looks that way.

Firing the coaches and making some big changes in the room are necessary.

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think the blame is all on the coaches.  Two years and they still can't play his system.  We have a horrible bottom 6.  We have Stone that is just okay, but plays minutes closer to a 2nd pairing gut.  He can't hit the net.  

There are a few player who seem to think this is just a hobby.  I can't tell you if Monahan and Ferland are badly hurt and can't p[lay that well becaause of it, but it looks that way.

Firing the coaches and making some big changes in the room are necessary.

Firing the coachs is a given IMO but BT's GM seat must be feeling warm as well. 3 years of knee jerk trades (& I liked some) speak more of over reacting rather than having a plan.GMs are supposed to have a plan rather than excuses.

9 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Firing the coachs is a given IMO but BT's GM seat must be feeling warm as well. 3 years of knee jerk trades (& I liked some) speak more of over reacting rather than having a plan.GMs are supposed to have a plan rather than excuses.

I think there is something to be said for the scouting staff identifying the wrong players.  Yes, it's on the GM for pulling the trigger.

Burkie wanted Bollig.  Not sure who picked MacDonald and Hunter Smith.  Grossmann?  Gouch?  Lazar (project)?  Brouwer?

The goalie situation was a total flubb.  Wasted picks on a goalie and then decided to move on by trading more picks.  Yes, Smith is a great goalie, at times.  

I also think he didn't give enough credit to the farm kids.  Janko and Kulak should have been here from day 1.  Same goes for Andersson.  Would have prevented a couple of bad trades/signings.  Then again, the coach made sure that the kids would not be on the team too.

48 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah, that was an awesome easy tap in Brouwer had, eh?

Buy him a shovel.

Oh I would say to you give Raanta some credit for last night's win rather than finding fault with every little detail that bothered you about our team.

Brouwer was all over the place probably one of the best games he has put in as a Flame.

10 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Oh I would say to you give Raanta some credit for last night's win rather than finding fault with every little detail that bothered you about our team.

Brouwer was all over the place probably one of the best games he has put in as a Flame.

Watch the replay.  It was a tap in goal.  A goal on a PP might have actually helped.

I don't think that Raanta made any great saves, just stopped the ones he had to.  About a dozen of them were at his chest.  

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Watch the replay.  It was a tap in goal.  A goal on a PP might have actually helped.

I don't think that Raanta made any great saves, just stopped the ones he had to.  About a dozen of them were at his chest.  

Yeah well you watch every game from a different perspective than myself and that's ok I just don't agree we it.

31 minutes ago, cross16 said:

??????

This was an excellent save. Raanta read it perfectly because Gaudreau looked pass the whole way. Cant' blame Brouwer for this. 

Looks different than the ice-level view, which shows it mostly off the edge of the blade.  It took about 75% off the shot.

But, whatever.  Keep the player on the PP if you think that makes sense.

I just don't see why so many people are picking on Brouwer all the time...   

His contract is one of the best value deals in the league, and he has definitely earned every dime...   It only works out to exactly $750,000.00 per goal...

It's easy to see why he is one of Gully's favorites, and why he is a go to guy on the PP or when you desperately need a goal...

Sure glad that we have him for 2 more seasons...   

• Image result for sarcasm animated gif

8 minutes ago, Carty said:

I just don't see why so many people are picking on Brouwer all the time...   

His contract is one of the best value deals in the league, and he has definitely earned every dime...   It only works out to exactly $750,000.00 per goal...

It's easy to see why he is one of Gully's favorites, and why he is a go to guy on the PP or when you desperately need a goal...

Sure glad that we have him for 2 more seasons...   

• Image result for sarcasm animated gif

Exactly right

42 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Exactly right

It was sarcasm, take a look at the words on the machine that is spitting out data tape...

The only thing that was right was that the "sarcasm detector" was working overtime...   Brouwer is an overpaid 4th liner who should not be used on the PP, or in key game situations, or to take faceoffs at all let alone at critical times of a game...

It still blows my mind that a guy with 4PP points on the season still frequently winds up on the top unit.  The Brouwer play is where offense goes to die.  He can't tip shots, is bad at screening the goalie, never comes up with contested rebounds, etc.  But I don't blame Brouwer, he just isn't that skilled.  It's the coach who seems to think he's good at something he isn't.

Man, I miss Tkachuk....

24 minutes ago, Carty said:

It was sarcasm, take a look at the words on the machine that is spitting out data tape...

The only thing that was right was that the "sarcasm detector" was working overtime...   Brouwer is an overpaid 4th liner who should not be used on the PP, or in key game situations, or to take faceoffs at all let alone at critical times of a game...

How could anyone think that you were serious? All you have to do is watch one game this season and would know the fact. LOL

2 hours ago, DHT said:

How could anyone think that you were serious? All you have to do is watch one game this season and would know the fact. LOL

I gave Brouwer a chance and higher hopes for him, but have been pointing out that acquiring him was a big mistake for almost a year and a half...   and also that using him in the roles like Gully keeps doing as if he is hoping for some kind of miracle comeback for Brouwer to return to playing like he did for the Caps 4 seasons ago is an even bigger mistake...   So I don't see how anyone could think that I was sincerely complimenting Brouwer and / or Gully...

Maybe I should have gone with a more obvious gif...

See the source image

10 minutes ago, Carty said:

I gave Brouwer a chance and higher hopes for him, but have been pointing out that acquiring him was a big mistake for almost a year and a half...   and also that using him in the roles like Gully keeps doing as if he is hoping for some kind of miracle comeback for Brouwer to return to playing like he did for the Caps 4 seasons ago is an even bigger mistake...   So I don't see how anyone could think that I was sincerely complimenting Brouwer and / or Gully...

Maybe I should have gone with a more obvious gif...

See the source image

I think we all got the sarcasm. 

But the thing with Gulutzen is, he really likes Brouwer because if his positioning on the ice. I guess he’s one of the only one who commits to the system?

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

But the thing with Gulutzen is, he really likes Brouwer because if his positioning on the ice. I guess he’s one of the only one who commits to the system?

If that's the case, then someone should tell Gully that positioning doesn't matter jack Satoshi Nakamoto if the play usually dies on Brouwers stick as soon as he gets the puck...

I hope that neither Gully or Brouwer are around next season...

Im Gonna say this It maybe the coach it may not Be but this has been on going for 30 years were coaches are through a revolving door with this team at sometime the finger has to stop being pointed and coaching and at the players cause if every year you replace the coach then the problem is never fixed

15 hours ago, Carty said:

Geez I never noticed

On March 20, 2018 at 5:06 PM, ABC923 said:

It still blows my mind that a guy with 4PP points on the season still frequently winds up on the top unit.  The Brouwer play is where offense goes to die.  He can't tip shots, is bad at screening the goalie, never comes up with contested rebounds, etc.  But I don't blame Brouwer, he just isn't that skilled.  It's the coach who seems to think he's good at something he isn't.

Man, I miss Tkachuk....

You know, if Treliving does fire Gulutzan, I wonder if Brouwer's name comes up. I can just see Treliving asking him what the heck he was doing all of those times putting Brouwer on the top line PP or when we needed scoring late in the third or OT. I can also envision GG saying that when the GM spends $4.5 million on a forward, it is logical to expect that he is able to at least stand in front of the opposition goaltender. Awkward.

47 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

You know, if Treliving does fire Gulutzan, I wonder if Brouwer's name comes up. I can just see Treliving asking him what the heck he was doing all of those times putting Brouwer on the top line PP or when we needed scoring late in the third or OT. I can also envision GG saying that when the GM spends $4.5 million on a forward, it is logical to expect that he is able to at least stand in front of the opposition goaltender. Awkward.

It's all politics man.  If Brouwer played the minutes he deserved, then that says too much about BT.  BT is in for a tough summer because he needs to own up to mistakes of his own and then correct it.  He needs to admit wrong basically.  I wonder if there is enough humility in his approach to get this done.

20 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

Im Gonna say this It maybe the coach it may not Be but this has been on going for 30 years were coaches are through a revolving door with this team at sometime the finger has to stop being pointed and coaching and at the players cause if every year you replace the coach then the problem is never fixed

We generally give our coaches 2-3 seasons to get the job done.

Last coach to only get 1 season was Jim Playfair in 2006-07 season, 11 years ago.

3afdc7f043160f01b312f2df80a29e5e.png

Oddly enough GG has the highest win% since Iron Mike.

Your right but I remember a comment made at one time and this comment seems to still ring True  I think Darryl Sutter said it The flames are a difficult team to coach now you can Replace Gg This year Go For it but will things Really change this type of Team not listening to there coach in calgary has been going on for 30 years why not let it continue you can replace the  coach but really is it gonna Change

Archived