Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

3 hours ago, Carty said:

He should have realized that a long time ago...

No doubt it was true emotion in the heat of the moment....   No doubt that he is on the hot seat either...   It is the timing and the extra media presence that he attracted with an anticipated statement that makes it suspect...

Maybe it would help more if he had gone into the locker room after the game (he says that he doesn't) and said something along the lines of "Good game tonight, but we will still have some things to work on during the practice in the morning, so make sure that you get a good nights sleep" and also discuss the things that they did well, and the things that they didn't...   I am a believer that you need to address the team after every game, and so do most coaches...   Not doing so is a failure to communicate while things are still fresh...   and that can have an effect on players attitudes and over time the general atmosphere in the room...

I’m not defending every GG coaching decision.  In fact, I think his weakest trait maybe in the motivational department.  So when a coach attempts to motivate or keep his team focused, I’m not going to criticize him for it.  Could it have been done last week or the week before that, sure.  Do you think GG wanted to see himself on national sporting news cursing, swearing and throwing a stick into the stands?  I doubt it and he probably regrets the timing now.  Fact is, ANA is in our barn next game and its a must win in Jan already.

The only connection Jagr may have to all of this is GG coming to terms that Jagr is no more, he will not be relied upon to provide any help moving forward.  It’s time for all to grab their boots, dust off your hat because we have a season to salvage, LET’S GO!  That was the message.          

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

I’m not defending every GG coaching decision.  In fact, I think his weakest trait maybe in the motivational department.  So when a coach attempts to motivate or keep his team focused, I’m not going to criticize him for it.  Could it have been done last week or the week before that, sure.  Do you think GG wanted to see himself on national sporting news cursing, swearing and throwing a stick into the stands?  I doubt it and he probably regrets the timing now.  Fact is, ANA is in our barn next game and its a must win in Jan already.

The only connection Jagr may have to all of this is GG coming to terms that Jagr is no more, he will not be relied upon to provide any help moving forward.  It’s time for all to grab their boots, dust off your hat because we have a season to salvage, LET’S GO!  That was the message.          

Good or bad there are to many cameras around now and everything gets over exposed adding to unnecessary drama.

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I find it a little surprising that a coach that shows zero emotion in a game where we are having our butts handed to us, can all of a sudden lose it in a practice.He fed the media by saying they would make an announcement about Jagr's future Friday, so yeah, every media outlet would be there to wait for it.  I don't care that he did it as much as when he did it.  As you say, seems a bit calculated.

As per the title of the old Roy Orbison song "Running Scared".

That looked so contrived after assuring a lot of media I just don't see any other explanation.

GG might someday be a good NHL coach but looks like he needs time in the minors to learn what it takes.

1 minute ago, Flyerfan52 said:

As per the title of the old Roy Orbison song "Running Scared".

That looked so contrived after assuring a lot of media I just don't see any other explanation.

GG might someday be a good NHL coach but looks like he needs time in the minors to learn what it takes.

I don't agree he needs more time in the minors. He has his time in and in a lot of capacities if management's evaluation at the end of the season is one of failed accomplishment fire him.

47 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I don't agree he needs more time in the minors. He has his time in and in a lot of capacities if management's evaluation at the end of the season is one of failed accomplishment fire him.

A strong management makes the hard decisions.

It was easy to fire the Captain of the Titanic after the fact.

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

Are we seeing EMOTION behind the bench!!!

Well GG has got our boys fired up. Good on Ya GG.

He still spends too much time looking at his tablet.  He was more engaged (or enraged) than I can remember.

The funny thing is that the stick throwing incident was supposedly after a meeting with management.  It's almost like he was told to talk more to the team during games.  It's also funny that the two wins against the Ducks this year had to do with before game mojo being employed.  Jobu for the game in Cali, and stick throwing in this one.

GG had a melt down, about Blockchaining time. So he loved the fight and passion in the shenanigans versus the Ducks. Called out the vets in his tantrum. I would venture to guess management most likely had a meeting with GG and basically advised him get them going or we will bring someone in that can.  The emotion we know see is tension and stress, it is about time someone stepped in and pushed some buttons. The concerning issue for me was the interviews after wards of the players, both Stajan and Gio laughing about it.... One thing with a players coach if you don't have respect form the players you got nothing.

43 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

GG had a melt down, about Blockchaining time. So he loved the fight and passion in the shenanigans versus the Ducks. Called out the vets in his tantrum. I would venture to guess management most likely had a meeting with GG and basically advised him get them going or we will bring someone in that can.  The emotion we know see is tension and stress, it is about time someone stepped in and pushed some buttons. The concerning issue for me was the interviews after wards of the players, both Stajan and Gio laughing about it.... One thing with a players coach if you don't have respect form the players you got nothing.

I wish he would save some venom for his A/coaches.  Have we scored a single EN goal or managed to tie it up with our goalie pulled?  Who decides to put out Stajan or Brouwer when the game is on the line?  If you are going to yell at the players, yell at the crappy line matching done in game, when you have the last change or the logic of rolling 4 lines without thought to who else is out there.  

Good response from a team that can show up late for a game.  Kudos for doing it against a team we have struggled so much against every year.  Between Jobu and stick throwing, I am happy with the mental response.  Maybe do it right after a game they barely win (like the Kings or Ducks games), but keep reminding the team that one game doesn't make the season.  

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

There is only one opinion his just ask him

I see your opinions and I wouldn't say they are right or wrong but the same harping gets tiresome. I think I said in here somewhere give GG the season and if the results for achieving goals wasn't there fire him. This team is better in a number of areas and progressing, same record at this point last season and still in the middle of the pack for a playoff spot. Anything ongoing with the players is between them and pure speculation from outsiders. Let it ride and we will see where this goes from a fantastic win against the Ducks.

14 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I see your opinions and I wouldn't say they are right or wrong but the same harping gets tiresome. I think I said in here somewhere give GG the season and if the results for achieving goals wasn't there fire him. This team is better in a number of areas and progressing, same record at this point last season and still in the middle of the pack for a playoff spot. Anything ongoing with the players is between them and pure speculation from outsiders. Let it ride and we will see where this goes from a fantastic win against the Ducks.

GG's style of play created the opportunity to improve on possession over the Hartley era.  Has it made the team any better; debatable.  

Right now, we still have half a season to get back into a playoff picture.  We're not that far out, but we are out as we speak.

No doubt management has talked to Gully and demanded that he right the ship or heads would roll.  They are giving him time to right the ship, and that includes first and foremost PP.  He's addressed not being prepared to start a game.  He needs to continue to fix the problems that exist.  If it's players not being ready, then address it.  If it's usage, then fix it.

BT has given him three AHL standouts.  One is invited to the AHL All Star game.   He's removed a goalie that wasn't able to carry the mail.  Enough talent to do more than a couple of games over 500.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

I’m not so worried about the after comments.  I think they got the message and we’re deferring to defuse all the drama from the media response, all the while making the proper response where it was desired and needed, on the ice in the next game.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

As long as there is progress, fine.  If there is no change and overall regression then that’s another matter.  GG has made progress and seems to be able to adapt, albeit slowly so stay the course is ok.  Let’s see how far this team can go.  I believe they have the pieces to play multiple types of teams and succeed, they just need to do it on the ice when it counts.

19 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

As long as there is progress, fine.  If there is no change and overall regression then that’s another matter.  GG has made progress and seems to be able to adapt, albeit slowly so stay the course is ok.  Let’s see how far this team can go.  I believe they have the pieces to play multiple types of teams and succeed, they just need to do it on the ice when it counts.

I agree they should but people need to take into account the loss of experience and plans in place when players such as Versteeg, Jagr and Frolik go down. Another reason for these players to play systems well and have the same systems being coached at our lower levels. The young players can come in with a degree of confidence they know what to do. They,meaning coaches and players really need to get this PP sorted out.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

They,meaning coaches and players really need to get this PP sorted out.

totally agree. We would be a playoff team with a PP that was in the top half of the league.

I watched the Bos Pens game last night and paid close attention to the Pens PP as they are the best in the league by a long shot.

The Pens rarely do the drop pass where you have 3 guys standing at the blue line waiting for the puck to enter the O zone. I saw 4 guys attacking the blue at the same time. If all 4 defenders stood the blue line they dumped it in. Nearly every time they retrieved the puck for possession. If the defenders backed off they carried it in 4 strong and set up immediately.

This "give it to Johnny" and the team wait for him at the blue line is getting old. We can't shoot it in because all our forwards are standing still at the blue line and we lose possession.

Maybe Cammeron and GG need to start emulating successful PP's; do the research and practice it.

29 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

This "give it to Johnny" and the team wait for him at the blue line is getting old. We can't shoot it in because all our forwards are standing still at the blue line and we lose possession.

Maybe Cammeron and GG need to start emulating successful PP's; do the research and practice it.

It's really predictable, and tough to watch. Also, I think it would do some good to have someone on the point that can let it rip, too. Gaudreau-die isn't much of a threat from back there. 

Love. 

6 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

It's really predictable, and tough to watch. Also, I think it would do some good to have someone on the point that can let it rip, too. Gaudreau-die isn't much of a threat from back there. 

Love. 

Gio has to be the worst at getting shots through.  If he did, they would end up in the net half the time.  They don't usually get past someone's shinpads,  He used to break his stick on one-timers, but doesn't anymore.  If would actually like to see Ferland and Dougie back there for two different looks.  Ferland for the one-timer or slapper.  Dougie for wristing it into the slot.

38 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

totally agree. We would be a playoff team with a PP that was in the top half of the league.

I watched the Bos Pens game last night and paid close attention to the Pens PP as they are the best in the league by a long shot.

The Pens rarely do the drop pass where you have 3 guys standing at the blue line waiting for the puck to enter the O zone. I saw 4 guys attacking the blue at the same time. If all 4 defenders stood the blue line they dumped it in. Nearly every time they retrieved the puck for possession. If the defenders backed off they carried it in 4 strong and set up immediately.

I hate that drop back pass BS and they should can it. The rest of their possession game is to resemble PIT so why not their PP.

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I agree they should but people need to take into account the loss of experience and plans in place when players such as Versteeg, Jagr and Frolik go down. Another reason for these players to play systems well and have the same systems being coached at our lower levels. The young players can come in with a degree of confidence they know what to do. They,meaning coaches and players really need to get this PP sorted out.

Using the same systems @ both levels does allow for the youth to step in with confidence but you need to have more than 1 set play & allow for using different player combos.

I'll use the example of the Jets yesterday. Since Scheifele got injured Wheeler has moved over to play center with good results.Yesterday Lowry was a pregame decision but couldn't go so Roslovic (who was called up a few days ago, practised with the big team but wasn't immediately added to the lineup) drew in. Sounds ho-hum because putting the kid on the 4th to earn his bones would be the norm. But, Maurice tinkered & put current 1C Wheeler, 4th line Hendricks & the kid on a line part way through the game when the outcome was still iffy. A different look the Sharks had no book on. (Also made the kid feel a real part of the team playing with his captain).

Changing up the look is part of coaching & @ home it's not difficult with last change provided you are watching the flow & talking to your assistants as things happen. Hockey is too fast a game to have a long discussion because if you do the opportunity is gone. Some things have to be done on the fly rather than checking the analitics.

It seems to work as the Jets are 2nd in the league on PP & 12th on PK.

5 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I dont disagree but have we not played better since these 3 have been gone? The pp blows and you can not tell me Verstig is the reason it does. That is 100 % the coaches

Archived