Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

2 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

I think this is the Flames biggest problem We are NOT playing a sound structured game.

We are not defending our Blue line allowing easy zone access for our opponents and when we play a team that defends their blue line our forwards can't  GAIN O access.

This falling back to a defensive square in front of Smith mentality has to stop. We have played the majority of the season in OUR zone. Is this really the Structure that can more our team forward?

It all boils down to execution by the players and we haven't been getting that 100% so far for various reasons. I don't disagree with the points you are making because I agree we are not strong enough on the puck and our possession game so yes we find ourselves defending way to much. Like in basketball if you are going to play a zone defense to defend your net you have to be positionally sound and execute. What do you want to see ? all 5 across our blue line ? I don't like that personally. As far as our entries into the O zone I think they have been much better lately.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

What do you want to see ? all 5 across our blue line ? I don't like that personally. As far as our entries into the O zone I think they have been much better lately.

I would like to see our defense attack the puck carrier at our blue line with our 1st 2 forward back checkers covering behind them. This delays the zone entry forcing a possible off side or shoot in ( which we have the best goalie to handle the shoot in) and we gain possession. LA does this VERY effectively and their transition game is explosive.

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

I would like to see our defense attack the puck carrier at our blue line with our 1st 2 forward back checkers covering behind them. This delays the zone entry forcing a possible off side or shoot in ( which we have the best goalie to handle the shoot in) and we gain possession. LA does this VERY effectively and their transition game is explosive.

Lots of different styles and systems played and I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of what GG wants from these guys. All I know is that he seems as frustrated as you after most games probably because they are not executing the systems as they should be. Room for improvements that's for sure.

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Can this team play better, sure. Have they been terrible, no. GG and staff were hired to usher in a more structured game and for the most part have done just that. You bring up VAN as a comparison and I would say to you they are having the success this group had under BH 4 years ago. Why ? because they are young full of P and V and are sneaking up on teams. They won't be there at the end.

Who specifically are you accusing of being spectators ?

Here is my take so far: Smith - Fantastic, Lack - lacklustre. Defense: Kulak good and growing, Girodano - topnotch, All of Brodie, Hamonic and Stone need to be better.

Forwards: Gaudreau, Monahan, Ferland playing well together.Tkachuk, Backlund, Frolik good but need to do more. Bennett, Jankowski, Jagr good start since formed but need more from Bennett and Jagr. Versteeg, Lazar, Brouwer some good individual play in spots but so far a real non factor. Stajan has added nothing.

What poor habits are you referring to ?

I have seen some bad decision making at times but would be curious to what you mean.

I don’t like the slow starts, even in our own building where we are line matching and able to get who we want on face offs. We seem to wake up after about 10 min in the game.

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don’t like the slow starts, even in our own building where we are line matching and able to get who we want on face offs. We seem to wake up after about 10 min in the game.

I hear you on this situation. I think we lack a few intense players that can get the others fired up. We have players that can lead by example and we have experienced players but we don't have any intensity.

I hear you on this situation. I think we lack a few intense players that can get the others fired up. We have players that can lead by example and we have experienced players but we don't have any intensity.

I think this is where the problem is. Other fans forget that we tended to look bad for half a game with Hartley, but wouldn’t give up. Typically we’d see them running around with their heads cut off in the first, or standing around... then when they were down, they’d find their gear.

i see a lot of that last year and this year, slow starting. Is it still a coaching thing if it continues with a new coach?

32 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think this is where the problem is. Other fans forget that we tended to look bad for half a game with Hartley, but wouldn’t give up. Typically we’d see them running around with their heads cut off in the first, or standing around... then when they were down, they’d find their gear.

i see a lot of that last year and this year, slow starting. Is it still a coaching thing if it continues with a new coach?

Along with that wouldn't give up attitude Hartley instilled was also a give me everything you have attitude too. Just about everyone who saw the Flames play, said or agreed it was refreshing to see a team give the 110% every game. It mattered not if we were not as productive to start. I don't recall that team looking bad for half a game, or running around with their heads cut off at all.

2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Along with that wouldn't give up attitude Hartley instilled was also a give me everything you have attitude too. Just about everyone who saw the Flames play, said or agreed it was refreshing to see a team give the 110% every game. It mattered not if we were not as productive to start. I don't recall that team looking bad for half a game, or running around with their heads cut off at all.

I remember getting hemmed in a lot and getting barraged with shots. We were always playing the odds, numbers, which was why everyone also said that it isn’t sustainable. The flames were a pure counterattack team back then. 

I liked the never die attitude, they gave their all, but I also felt uneasy with the chances they gave up. 

I see see that a bit to start the year for us.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Can this team play better, sure. Have they been terrible, no. GG and staff were hired to usher in a more structured game and for the most part have done just that. You bring up VAN as a comparison and I would say to you they are having the success this group had under BH 4 years ago. Why ? because they are young full of P and V and are sneaking up on teams. They won't be there at the end.

Who specifically are you accusing of being spectators ?

You could be right there MAC. Vancouver has the underdog moniker and could be sneaking up on teams given their projected finish this season. And your assessment of our players isn't far off from mine. These are the players I see putting in effort and having a desire to win: Smith, Kulak, Girodano, Hamonic (though the results aren't quite there yet, you can see he's trying). Forwards: Gaudreau, Monahan, Ferland, Tkachuk, Lazar, Jankowski.

Look, I know Backlund and Frolik play well, but I'm not seeing that extra gear yet. Versteeg, who I supported re-signing, has taken his foot off the pedal completely and seems disinterested. Brouwer's game has improved, but he seems to be playing for himself. Bennett, I want to see him succeed, but he lacks consistency and seems to take shifts off. Jagr, still waiting for him to get up to speed, but I expect more out of him. Brodie has been off - he almost seems to forget how to play sometimes. Hamilton, I'm not seeing enough effort or awareness out of him. Stone, looks less visible than Kulak to me. 

2 hours ago, redfire11 said:

I think this is the Flames biggest problem We are NOT playing a sound structured game.

We are not defending our Blue line allowing easy zone access for our opponents and when we play a team that defends their blue line our forwards can't  GAIN O access.

This falling back to a defensive square in front of Smith mentality has to stop. We have played the majority of the season in OUR zone. Is this really the Structure that can more our team forward?

Redfire explains my displeasure for the current coaching staff in this post. I believe the structure as we see it today is a real recipe for disaster for our team. I believe that a coaching staff has to assess what they have in their players and develop a structure that plays to their players' strengths. I don't believe the current structure is playing to our teams strengths. I think were in one of those situations where the coaches are married to a structure and impose it regardless of team makeup. 

11 hours ago, lou44291 said:

You could be right there MAC. Vancouver has the underdog moniker and could be sneaking up on teams given their projected finish this season. And your assessment of our players isn't far off from mine. These are the players I see putting in effort and having a desire to win: Smith, Kulak, Girodano, Hamonic (though the results aren't quite there yet, you can see he's trying). Forwards: Gaudreau, Monahan, Ferland, Tkachuk, Lazar, Jankowski.

Look, I know Backlund and Frolik play well, but I'm not seeing that extra gear yet. Versteeg, who I supported re-signing, has taken his foot off the pedal completely and seems disinterested. Brouwer's game has improved, but he seems to be playing for himself. Bennett, I want to see him succeed, but he lacks consistency and seems to take shifts off. Jagr, still waiting for him to get up to speed, but I expect more out of him. Brodie has been off - he almost seems to forget how to play sometimes. Hamilton, I'm not seeing enough effort or awareness out of him. Stone, looks less visible than Kulak to me. 

Redfire explains my displeasure for the current coaching staff in this post. I believe the structure as we see it today is a real recipe for disaster for our team. I believe that a coaching staff has to assess what they have in their players and develop a structure that plays to their players' strengths. I don't believe the current structure is playing to our teams strengths. I think were in one of those situations where the coaches are married to a structure and impose it regardless of team makeup. 

I don't agree with Redfire or you on the systems.Many if not all coaches have their successful systems and its the players that need the discipline to execute in all areas. Our struggles lie within the execution by some of these players. I would go as far to say GG has adopted some parts to certain players as we see more stretch passes up to Gaudreau and I think he has been smart enough to utilize Smith's passing abilities for getting the puck up the ice faster.

On 11/19/2017 at 9:41 AM, redfire11 said:

We have played the majority of the season in OUR zone. Is this really the Structure that can more our team forward?

Since the start of the season at 5 on 5 the flames are a top 10 team in Corsi F%, Fenwick F% and a bottom 10 team in Corsi against. That would not be possible if they were playing the majority of the season in their own zone.

With the mood on these forums you would think we were at the bottom of the standings instead of being 3rd in our division and gaining on Vegas and LA.

Can this team play better, of course, but the fact that we haven't played our best hockey yet and we are still 3 games over 500 and are in a playoff spot should be encouraging because this team will find its footing and then we will be pushing for that division lead.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

With the mood on these forums you would think we were at the bottom of the standings instead of being 3rd in our division and gaining on Vegas and LA.

Can this team play better, of course, but the fact that we haven't played our best hockey yet and we are still 3 games over 500 and are in a playoff spot should be encouraging because this team will find its footing and then we will be pushing for that division lead.

No doubt.  Frustration seeps in after games like the DET game, where we looked flat and end up with a suspension out of it.  Or when we have really bad special teams.  You look at the losses in greater detail.  We are where we are because we have a starter playing all but 2 games and he has been just fine.  There is cause for concern.  Not panic.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

No doubt.  Frustration seeps in after games like the DET game, where we looked flat and end up with a suspension out of it.  Or when we have really bad special teams.  You look at the losses in greater detail.  

We are where we are because we have a starter playing all but 2 games and he has been just fine.  There is cause for concern.  Not panic.

This is where I think a lot of the frustration is misguided. Flames are where they are because outside of a few choice games they generally have played sound hockey 5 on 5, they have a pretty good PP AND they've gotten starting caliber net minding. I don't agree at all with this notion that Smith is the only or primary reason the flames have the record they do. 

I can't remember a season in recent memory where Flames fans hung on every game as much as they have this year and like Jtech i can't quite figure it out. My guess is because I think the expectations where set too high for this team but I can't speak for everyone obviously. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This is where I think a lot of the frustration is misguided. Flames are where they are because outside of a few choice games they generally have played sound hockey 5 on 5, they have a pretty good PP AND they've gotten starting caliber net minding. I don't agree at all with this notion that Smith is the only or primary reason the flames have the record they do. 

I can't remember a season in recent memory where Flames fans hung on every game as much as they have this year and like Jtech i can't quite figure it out. My guess is because I think the expectations where set too high for this team but I can't speak for everyone obviously. 

It's not the only reason.  The special teams started off good.  They have fallen off.  The point about Smith is that we don't have a backup we can play.  Smith kept it close when we were unable to score much.  He was okay in games where we had great offense.

I didn't have great expectations for the season.  I felt we had holes when I saw the Day 1 roster.  I look at how good we can play in some games and hope we can put it together in all games.  For me, it's just frustration of some of the bad games or games where we insert certain players.

35 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yes I am one that had high expectations for this team.

For me it was like going to the grocery store and buying all the best ingredients you could for a great meal (ie 1) one of the better defense cores in the league, 2) I think one of the top goalies in the league,3) an offense that could easily be in the top 8) )

Hiring a Chef to put it all together for you(GG).

Then sitting down to the meal and only finding it a little above average. Yeah I'm disappointed  But hey maybe if we find a decent pastry chef we can walk away with a little satisfaction.

17 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Yes I am one that had high expectations for this team.

For me it was like going to the grocery store and buying all the best ingredients you could for a great meal (ie 1) one of the better defense cores in the league, 2) I think one of the top goalies in the league,3) an offense that could easily be in the top 8) )

Hiring a Chef to put it all together for you(GG).

Then sitting down to the meal and only finding it a little above average. Yeah I'm disappointed  But hey maybe if we find a decent pastry chef we can walk away with a little satisfaction.

Ok fair. We just disagree very much then on the composition of the roster. 

9 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I don't agree with Redfire or you on the systems.Many if not all coaches have their successful systems and its the players that need the discipline to execute in all areas. Our struggles lie within the execution by some of these players. I would go as far to say GG has adopted some parts to certain players as we see more stretch passes up to Gaudreau and I think he has been smart enough to utilize Smith's passing abilities for getting the puck up the ice faster.

So, you expect the Arizona Coyotes players to have the discipline to execute the same systems Rick Tochet (sp?) executed in Pittsburgh with the likes of Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and company? Shame on Arizona for winning only a couple of games this season then Mac... 

As a coach you have to be an evaluator of talent and assess what your players are capable of, then create a "system" that would help them execute and succeed. Not the other way around. Completely disagree. 

7 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Youre right JT. Definitely a positive way to look at it, and I'm happy we're not drowning like some other teams. I'm not doom and gloom by any stretch, I'm just really invested in the team and want them to do well. When I see lack of effort - where historically they had it - it makes me question why. When I see mental lapses occurring more often for players who are typically pretty intelligent, my concern grows. 

Look, we all bleed red ;) thank you for adjusting the perspective. B)

Go Flames Go!

4 hours ago, lou44291 said:

So, you expect the Arizona Coyotes players to have the discipline to execute the same systems Rick Tochet (sp?) executed in Pittsburgh with the likes of Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and company? Shame on Arizona for winning only a couple of games this season then Mac... 

As a coach you have to be an evaluator of talent and assess what your players are capable of, then create a "system" that would help them execute and succeed. Not the other way around. Completely disagree. 

I have no idea what Tochett is doing in ARZ but I can tell you this, there has to be a certain maturity and experience to carry out a disciplined system. We may not be there quite yet and this may be what we are witnessing to some degree. BH inherited a very young group and IMO knew he couldn't run a system with them so he kept the game simple with lots of stretch passes and a defense built around shot blocking and very little discipline. BT and likely BB made the decision the team was close enough to bring in GG and incorporate a new structure with defined systems before the young developed way too many bad habits.

You can disagree all you want but it is never done how you describe it. Take any sport and look at the most winning franchises and coaches you will find they ran systems during those winning eras not change anything to suit any certain group of players.

One of the main criticism I've seen about Gulutzan is he didn't get players to play their best last year, in the eyes of some, and very few had career years. 

i think it's pretty clear now that both Gaudreau and Monahan are playing the best hockey of their careers. Specifically I think both have really bought into the two way game and your starting to see offence built off of good plays in the defensive zone. Very promising to see that development. 

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

One of the main criticism I've seen about Gulutzan is he didn't get players to play their best last year, in the eyes of some, and very few had career years. 

i think it's pretty clear now that both Gaudreau and Monahan are playing the best hockey of their careers. Specifically I think both have really bought into the two way game and your starting to see offence built off of good plays in the defensive zone. Very promising to see that development. 

Gaudreau is a funny little beast.  He survives in this league because he has the confidence to make plays like he is skating by himself.  When it works, he doesn't start overthinking things and it just flows out there.  I really think the little Jagr peptalks help him too.  And the coach singling him out for his good defensive play.

Where I think he's adjusted the most is when he gets a breakaway.  He's starting to shoot more and only goes to the deke occasionally, not every time.  The book was out on him for that.  Credit goes to the coach for not hamstringing his creativity.  He's going to make mistakes.  But at least now he is able to make a subtle play to disrupt the play after a turnover.

I still see some weakness in the setup and execution of the PK.  Way too tight a setup.  Too much of a gap outside the middle of the ice.  Certain teams are going to explot that.  As well, the zone entry supression is still too passive.  But that's not on Gully.  Last night was a better result, but it still had some holes in it.  

Does anyone give GG credit for finally creating a 3rd line that works? Part of that was that he simply needed a place to put Janko when Jagr was out, and Janko made it impossible for the brass to send him down again... but despite all the criticism some threw at GG for his constant line juggling, I’m glad he kept trying until he figured out a way to best utilize Bennett and Jagr. Now if only Bennett could finish on some of those great chances he’s generating...

44 minutes ago, pcs said:

Does anyone give GG credit for finally creating a 3rd line that works? Part of that was that he simply needed a place to put Janko when Jagr was out, and Janko made it impossible for the brass to send him down again... but despite all the criticism some threw at GG for his constant line juggling, I’m glad he kept trying until he figured out a way to best utilize Bennett and Jagr. Now if only Bennett could finish on some of those great chances he’s generating...

Lines 1 and 2 have been together and successful for going on 2 seasons now.  Line 4 is often the rejects.  Line 3 is what’s left.  Sure, we could give GG a standing ovation for creating line 3, but maybe line 3 would be even better if Bennett was bumped down and replaced by Versteeg.

Archived