Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

1 minute ago, CheersMan said:

We are 0-3 this season…… if not for Smith.  We are giving up 38.3 SA/game.  Our PK is passive, the Smith factor is making it look a lot better than what it is.  The drop pass on our PP when coming up the ice is a disaster.   Only been 3 games but this team needs to improve in many areas north of the net.

I agree only because there is some experimenting happening with lines and pairings occasionally. I hate that drop pass BS period I wish they would stop using it altogether.

The players gradually become a team as they get use to each other more.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

We are 0-3 this season…… if not for Smith.  We are giving up 38.3 SA/game.  Our PK is passive, the Smith factor is making it look a lot better than what it is.  The drop pass on our PP when coming up the ice is a disaster.   Only been 3 games but this team needs to improve in many areas north of the net.

The drop pass has worked well to gain the offensive zone with possession.  Sure, some timing issues to iron out but once they get it, its the way we should play.  We are lucky to have Gaudreau and Brodie, two guys who can trail with good speed, smarts, and puck handlings skills.  As long as it's not Versteeg as the last man, then we are good.

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The drop pass has worked well to gain the offensive zone with possession.  Sure, some timing issues to iron out but once they get it, its the way we should play.  We are lucky to have Gaudreau and Brodie, two guys who can trail with good speed, smarts, and puck handlings skills.  As long as it's not Versteeg as the last man, then we are good.

Last season we watched the team struggle with that play out of the gate as well, but then it improved and JHG was able to gain the zone untouched more often than not.  Let's hope it improves soon because I hate seeing the puck in the back of our net 15 seconds into our PP.

Ya I don't see the issue with the drop pass. Worked great last year when they had one of the league's best PP units and it's working well this year too. I think the Flames are doing a good job of gaining the zone on the PP it's their in zone puck movement and lack of shots/looking for the perfect play that is the only trouble spot for me.

But like last year i'm not sure why this is such an issue. Flames are 6th in PP right now and 8th in PK so once again are near the top in special teams in the league. Get everyone has their own preference but clearly this works for this group. Lots to improve upon yes,as there should be 3 games into the year. 

47 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Our PP sits 6th in the league at 27.5% our PK sits 8th in the league 90%. Yes we need to improve on the defensive coverage. We have had two games where we have allowed 40+ shots and those both came on the road, where you are going to have issues with matchups.

At the end of the day we have won 2 out of 3 games and that is the only stat that matters at this point.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Ya I don't see the issue with the drop pass. Worked great last year when they had one of the league's best PP units and it's working well this year too. I think the Flames are doing a good job of gaining the zone on the PP it's their in zone puck movement and lack of shots/looking for the perfect play that is the only trouble spot for me.

But like last year i'm not sure why this is such an issue. Flames are 6th in PP right now and 8th in PK so once again are near the top in special teams in the league. Get everyone has their own preference but clearly this works for this group. Lots to improve upon yes,as there should be 3 games into the year. 

I think the biggest issue is the delay that has been happening.  Too long.  There is close to 50 feet to travel to accept the pass.  Most teams use it, but the better ones drop it back to a guy that is already close to the puck.   

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think the biggest issue is the delay that has been happening.  Too long.  There is close to 50 feet to travel to accept the pass.  Most teams use it, but the better ones drop it back to a guy that is already close to the puck.   

True.  At that point, Smith may as well skate up to the blueline and play the puck.

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Of course there is never going to be 100% execution with any element of a team and there will be mistakes. Generally thought its a really solid play that has worked very well for the team. Expecting it to work 100% of the time isn't realistic. 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

Of course there is never going to be 100% execution with any element of a team and there will be mistakes. Generally thought its a really solid play that has worked very well for the team. Expecting it to work 100% of the time isn't realistic. 

What I am getting it is that teams have a lot more time to react that way.  Fortunately, Gaudreau is one of the best zone entry guys around.  

Having a few set plays that mixes it up would help disguise the method of entry as well.  

I really wish GG would show his composure rather than his negative face in front of the camera, despite I agree with everything he said. This team fought last night to come out with a win so take that as a positive point. I thought the collapse of Friday night game against Ottawa was the entire team faults and it starts with GG as the head of this team. Showing his negativity in front of the camera really not going to shows that he got the team's back.

1 hour ago, DHT said:

I really wish GG would show his composure rather than his negative face in front of the camera, despite I agree with everything he said. This team fought last night to come out with a win so take that as a positive point. I thought the collapse of Friday night game against Ottawa was the entire team faults and it starts with GG as the head of this team. Showing his negativity in front of the camera really not going to shows that he got the team's back.

Better than being flippant about the team's play I guess.  Lots of issues with the team still, but some of it is on the coach.  Consistency with lines might help them be more consistent.  At least he is recognizing who is not contributing and who is really trying.  Stajan sitting is a positive sign.  Glass sitting until Ferland was a late scratch makes sense.  Maybe it's a sign that someone is going to be sent down and Janko brought up.  Freddie only played 6 minutes and Glass 9 minutes.  

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Right now I am seeing a coach that is Reactive NOT Proactive.

Agreed. Many mentioned this summer we what looks like a good team on PAPER. For a club that has 95% of its parts returned it sure looks disjointed. This team plays with no physical pressure or passion, totally opposite of what BB and Tree were preaching

8 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Right now I am seeing a coach that is Reactive NOT Proactive.

How so ? you do have to react to injuries but I would say having Jagr top line was proactive and the right decision. Giving Bennett every opportunity to succeed at C is/was proactive. Coming to some realizations and changing things for the better is what a Coach should always be on the look out for. For the most part it will be the play of the players that dictates moves within the line up. This is why I say October is more of a time where the team gets sorted out vs the short camp period.

So how exactly does a coach be proactive?

1) starting and playing lines that force your opponent to react

2) quick line changes (this has been effective with under skilled teams like Van and Njd)

3) thinking a move or 2 ahead (heck I could beat GG in a game of chess)

4) not try and force something that is NOT working (Versteeg and Brouwer on the PP)

5) use your time out when things are consistently going sideways or backwards.

6) maybe become a little involved with your players behind the bench (instead of standing there like your at a funeral) show some energy/excitement maybe it will rub off on the players.

4 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

1) starting and playing lines that force your opponent to react - Shouldn't the goal of utilization your lines be to put your own players in the best situation possible? Why would you be so concerned about what the other team is doing?

2) quick line changes (this has been effective with under skilled teams like Van and Njd) - he does. See last night when there was a defensive zone draw and he took the Gaudreau line off, put Stajan out and then got the Gaudreau line back out there as soon as the 4th line got the puck into St Louis' zone. 

3) thinking a move or 2 ahead (heck I could beat GG in a game of chess) - ahead of what. Don't udnertand the line matching critique given that I find GG does a really good job of getting the right d pairings out against the opposition and getting the Backlund line out in the right situations as well. 

4) not try and force something that is NOT working (Versteeg and Brouwer on the PP) - somewhat fair although Versteeg and Brouwer are hardly what is wrong with the Flames PP but I agree Versteeg should come off it. 

5) use your time out when things are consistently going sideways or backwards. - What's gone sideways in the last 3 games?

6) maybe become a little involved with your players behind the bench (instead of standing there like your at a funeral) show some energy/excitement maybe it will rub off on the players. - It still astounds me people think this is a thing or that it will matter but to each his own i guess. 

I think a coach's job during the game is to be reactive to what is happening. Ever game is different so I don't really udnerstand nor agree with this idea he is being too reactive. Main part of a coaches job is the preparation before the game and once the game is on I personally think there is not a whole lot they can do. It's up to the players. 

Why i think most critique of coaches is misplaced. 

I think a coach's job during the game is to be reactive to what is happening. Ever game is different so I don't really udnerstand nor agree with this idea he is being too reactive. Main part of a coaches job is the preparation before the game and once the game is on I personally think there is not a whole lot they can do. It's up to the players. 

I hope he is reactive to the in-game situations.  That doesn't mean to start the blender.  Sure, double shift an offensiove player like Johnny.  All for it.  Maybe playing him with Stajan is the mistake though.  For that matter, playing Stajan at the end of a tied game after he's been having a rough game is something he should better react to.  We don't have the luxury of rolling 4 lines.  Put your 4th line out there in a tie game and you gotto know they will see the top line.  

Really that my biggest complaint.  I'm no great judge of talent, but I do see things that make me scratch my head.  It's not just on one guy though, since Cameron and the Jerrard run the special teams.  

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I hope he is reactive to the in-game situations.  That doesn't mean to start the blender.  Sure, double shift an offensiove player like Johnny.  All for it.  Maybe playing him with Stajan is the mistake though.  For that matter, playing Stajan at the end of a tied game after he's been having a rough game is something he should better react to.  We don't have the luxury of rolling 4 lines.  Put your 4th line out there in a tie game and you gotto know they will see the top line.  

Really that my biggest complaint.  I'm no great judge of talent, but I do see things that make me scratch my head.  It's not just on one guy though, since Cameron and the Jerrard run the special teams.  

Why not?

I would argue the opposite that based on the play of the 4th line, especially lately, the Flames do in fact have the luxury of rolling 4 lines. They've got an effective 4th line.  I don't agree Stajan had a rough game

And for what's its worth, the 4th line was the Flmaes best lines last night in terms of possession and their shift before had kept the puck in the Blues zone for close to a minute and then the Gaudreau line promptly let the Blues go the other way. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Why not?

I would argue the opposite that based on the play of the 4th line, especially lately, the Flames do in fact have the luxury of rolling 4 lines. They've got an effective 4th line.  I don't agree Stajan had a rough game

And for what's its worth, the 4th line was the Flmaes best lines last night in terms of possession and their shift before had kept the puck in the Blues zone for close to a minute and then the Gaudreau line promptly let the Blues go the other way. 

I was actually referring to the Preds game, where it was tied at the end.  

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I was actually referring to the Preds game, where it was tied at the end.  

Ok fair I missed that.

However, I would still argue if you don't have a 4th line that you feel comfortable using in a tie game in game 9 of the season your issue is not the coach. They got a shift, but the game still ended with shifts by all 3 other lines. 

I think you need 4 effective lines and generally speaking I think the 4th line has been good, especially since Glass has been sitting. 

1) starting and playing lines that force your opponent to react - Shouldn't the goal of utilization your lines be to put your own players in the best situation possible? Why would you be so concerned about what the other team is doing?

- you said it there put your own players in the best situation possible line matching is the best way to accomplish this

2) quick line changes (this has been effective with under skilled teams like Van and Njd) - he does. See last night when there was a defensive zone draw and he took the Gaudreau line off, put Stajan out and then got the Gaudreau line back out there as soon as the 4th line got the puck into St Louis' zone. 

- GG tried it and it worked Why not execute this consistently. 

3) thinking a move or 2 ahead (heck I could beat GG in a game of chess) - ahead of what. Don't udnertand the line matching critique given that I find GG does a really good job of getting the right d pairings out against the opposition and getting the Backlund line out in the right situations as well. 

- reread 1)

4) not try and force something that is NOT working (Versteeg and Brouwer on the PP) - somewhat fair although Versteeg and Brouwer are hardly what is wrong with the Flames PP but I agree Versteeg should come off it. 

- Again your words put your own players in the best situation possible

5) use your time out when things are consistently going sideways or backwards. - What's gone sideways in the last 3 games?

- Can't remember specifics (sorry) but I remember thinking a few times we need to slow down the oppositions momentum.

6) maybe become a little involved with your players behind the bench (instead of standing there like your at a funeral) show some energy/excitement maybe it will rub off on the players. - It still astounds me people think this is a thing or that it will matter but to each his own i guess. 

- YES I am one of THOSE that think this matters.

22 hours ago, cross16 said:

What I am saying is It is far better to have your opponent react to your decisions than vice versa. And yes I feel GG is NOT prepared before the game and if he's not prepared Will the players be?

Now I am not asking for GG's head but I want him (like a few of our players) to execute their job more effectively. Above are just ideas that came to mind for improvement.

Cheers

Archived