Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

4 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I don't see resting either Stajan  or Chiasson as jeopardizing   our playoff chances. If anything it prepares another player in case of an injury.

I just don't think they're going to mess with the roster during the streak. I know they had to with the D, but they will do as little as possible. But it would be a good idea to rest a few players here and there once the streak ends. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I just don't think they're going to mess with the roster during the streak. I know they had to with the D, but they will do as little as possible. But it would be a good idea to rest a few players here and there once the streak ends. 

You lose one game, do you throw out the roster?  You might tinker with a player or two.  I don't think it happens, though.  You want to have your best lineup going into the playoffs on a roll.  Besides, I think that the standings are not set now or for the next couple of weeks.  We have games at the end of the season that could determine or final seeding.  DO you want to take a chance on missing out on home ice advantage for the sake of resting a few guys?  How about the difference between wild card and 2nd or 3rd in the division?

I only want to see them take a guy out of the lineup if he is banged up or could get pounded by a non-playoff team.  Sure, you play CJ or maybe give Engelland a rest and play Andersson, but that's about it.  The suggestions I made can't really happen right now.  They were just my perceived problem with the Bennett line. 

30 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You lose one game, do you throw out the roster?  You might tinker with a player or two.  I don't think it happens, though.  You want to have your best lineup going into the playoffs on a roll.  Besides, I think that the standings are not set now or for the next couple of weeks.  We have games at the end of the season that could determine or final seeding.  DO you want to take a chance on missing out on home ice advantage for the sake of resting a few guys?  How about the difference between wild card and 2nd or 3rd in the division?

I only want to see them take a guy out of the lineup if he is banged up or could get pounded by a non-playoff team.  Sure, you play CJ or maybe give Engelland a rest and play Andersson, but that's about it.  The suggestions I made can't really happen right now.  They were just my perceived problem with the Bennett line. 

I was thinking more in lines of your suggestion, and extending to chiasson and bouma. Maybe Stajan, but i like what stajan brings. 

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I was thinking more in lines of your suggestion, and extending to chiasson and bouma. Maybe Stajan, but i like what stajan brings. 

Undoubtedly things are going quite well with the team as a whole and we may not see any changes. All I was saying is if they want to test drive Lazar use the Stajan line, I don't see the harm other than superstition. The top 9 are all good lines with each player in the best possible positions.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, rickross said:

If by some epic collapse down this stretch the Flames fall out of playoff contention, where do you stand with GG at that point?

We would have to lose every game and LA win almost all of them.

right now I place blame on the players. The systems look like they work, it is now on the players to execute.

Its hard to peg but most teams struggle to string wins together after they've gone on a successful win streak, I think the Flames are fighting that right now. I agree, GG has given them a system they've proven than can thrive in. My concern is it seems like the Flames are leaning a bit too much on Elliot to get the job done. Take him out of the game and they play with less confidence. Missing Tkachuk these past 2 games has been telling for the 3M line..they haven't been nearly as effective. I still have faith in GG but a coaches fate often lies on the teams resolve and if they somehow miss the playoffs it always comes back to the coaches.

2 hours ago, rickross said:

Its hard to peg but most teams struggle to string wins together after they've gone on a successful win streak, I think the Flames are fighting that right now. I agree, GG has given them a system they've proven than can thrive in. My concern is it seems like the Flames are leaning a bit too much on Elliot to get the job done. Take him out of the game and they play with less confidence. Missing Tkachuk these past 2 games has been telling for the 3M line..they haven't been nearly as effective. I still have faith in GG but a coaches fate often lies on the teams resolve and if they somehow miss the playoffs it always comes back to the coaches.

Panic much ? all winning streaks come to an end. There is a certain burn out factor that comes with a winning streak and we are seeing some of this now. Some guys should be rested but these types of moves are difficult when you have Tkachuk and Ferland out. Others try to over-compensate and end up doing more harm than good at times, not to mention any names Brodie and Gaudreau. GG has to restore some calm and get everyone back on playing the systems.

3 hours ago, rickross said:

We hit 3 posts, and out chanced the predators 25-12 if I remember correctly, I dont think we played a bad game at all sometimes the bounces dont go your way, I wouldnt say the team looked bad though. The washington game wasnt the greatest effort, but give me a break.

Has elliot been playing well, sure he has but I wouldnt say he has been stealing win after win for us, he has made big saves and done a little bit extra part of the reason for such a long winning streak. its funny people posted the same drivel about the flames when CJ went on his run in December, I dont really get where it comes from. 

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Panic much ? all winning streaks come to an end. There is a certain burn out factor that comes with a winning streak and we are seeing some of this now. Some guys should be rested but these types of moves are difficult when you have Tkachuk and Ferland out. Others try to over-compensate and end up doing more harm than good at times, not to mention any names Brodie and Gaudreau. GG has to restore some calm and get everyone back on playing the systems.

Not sure where you read "panic" from my original quote. You pretty much reiterated everything I stated 

39 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

We hit 3 posts, and out chanced the predators 25-12 if I remember correctly, I dont think we played a bad game at all sometimes the bounces dont go your way, I wouldnt say the team looked bad though. The washington game wasnt the greatest effort, but give me a break.

Has elliot been playing well, sure he has but I wouldnt say he has been stealing win after win for us, he has made big saves and done a little bit extra part of the reason for such a long winning streak. its funny people posted the same drivel about the flames when CJ went on his run in December, I dont really get where it comes from. 

Ok..but I never mentioned this was based off just the Preds game. Didn't mention the Preds at all. If u actually watched the game the Flames beat themselves with multiple failures to clear their zone and an ineffective PP

5 minutes ago, rickross said:

Ok..but I never mentioned this was based off just the Preds game. Didn't mention the Preds at all. If u actually watched the game the Flames beat themselves with multiple failures to clear their zone and an ineffective PP

You said the flames have been relying on elliot, elliot didnt play the preds game. You mentioned tkachuk not playing the last 2 games, that would be the preds game and the caps game. I did beat watch the game, while we did some things wrong, the bounces didnt go our way as we said. That would be 3 posts among other things.

1 hour ago, rickross said:

Not sure where you read "panic" from my original quote. You pretty much reiterated everything I stated 

This I agree with, all these weak chip passes not strong enough to get us out of our own end, ill advised passes all game. Sorry AlbertaBoy the effort against the Preds was not good.

31 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

This I agree with, all these weak chip passes not strong enough to get us out of our own end, ill advised passes all game. Sorry AlbertaBoy the effort against the Preds was not good.

Is that why the preds only had 12 scoring chances? and we had 25? There was some mistakes sure, but it wasent a bad effort.

9 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Is that why the preds only had 12 scoring chances? and we had 25? There was some mistakes sure, but it wasent a bad effort.

Thats where eye test and the stats don't match. They played well early, but after the first it was a different game.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

That might say more about the Preds than our play being good. Let's hope for better.

I agree. Im not saying it was our best game, but if you ask me we deserved to win that game just as much as the predators did. We arent talking about a loss here where the flames were dominated or something. I dont think there is anything to worry about after the loss, and thats the only reason I was talking about the flames not playing terribly. 

Meh...I don't think they deserved to win that game. If they can't capitalize on those 25 chances , let alone 5 power play opportunities I can't see why they deserved to win. The Preds had half as many scoring chances but still out scored us, like I said the Flames beat themselves. The back to back losses hurt us, especially with conference rivals. Our friends up north will grab another 2 pts against the Avs tomorrow so we really need to pull of a W against the Blues. 

2 minutes ago, rickross said:

Meh...I don't think they deserved to win that game. If they can't capitalize on those 25 chances , let alone 5 power play opportunities I can't see why they deserved to win. The Preds had half as many scoring chances but still out scored us, like I said the Flames beat themselves. The back to back losses hurt us, especially with conference rivals. Our friends up north will grab another 2 pts against the Avs tomorrow so we really need to pull of a W against the Blues. 

we hit 3 posts, sometimes the bounces dont go your way, doesnt mean you dont deserve to win.

23 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

we hit 3 posts, sometimes the bounces dont go your way, doesnt mean you dont deserve to win.

Bounces didn't go our way offensively or defensively. It wasn't a lack of effort but hitting posts didn't give us any points. Tomorrow is a new game so we'll see how they respond. 

11 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I agree. Im not saying it was our best game, but if you ask me we deserved to win that game just as much as the predators did. We arent talking about a loss here where the flames were dominated or something. I dont think there is anything to worry about after the loss, and thats the only reason I was talking about the flames not playing terribly. 

I was disappointed that the team really could have used those 2 points and didn't play with any urgency. You have to know and go for the gusto when the game calls for it. If you don't bring your own best game you won't beat goalies like Renne. You are correct, the Preds didn't dominate us but we did nothing to help ourselves either.

21 hours ago, rickross said:

So the Flames are like every other team in the NHL? I don't agree they play with less confidence but every team in the league relies on good goaltending to win. 

I also think too too much attention is being given to a "hot streak". Since November 15th the flames have the 6th most points earned in the league and 3rd in the western conference. 3 points behind the Hawks and 2 behind the wild (and they played 1 less game). That's 3/4 of the season where's the flames are playing at an upper echelon level. Yes that includes the 10 game win streak but even if you take out 3 or 4 wins the record is still in the top half of the league. This is a good hockey team, not a team that just got hot. 

On 3/25/2017 at 9:45 AM, cross16 said:

So the Flames are like every other team in the NHL? I don't agree they play with less confidence but every team in the league relies on good goaltending to win. 

I also think too too much attention is being given to a "hot streak". Since November 15th the flames have the 6th most points earned in the league and 3rd in the western conference. 3 points behind the Hawks and 2 behind the wild (and they played 1 less game). That's 3/4 of the season where's the flames are playing at an upper echelon level. Yes that includes the 10 game win streak but even if you take out 3 or 4 wins the record is still in the top half of the league. This is a good hockey team, not a team that just got hot. 

I agree and I think the proof is that we can bend teams to play our game, it feels like decades since I've said that.

Also LOVED GG's mantra after the St Loo game.

Good teams don't watch the scoreboard, they make the playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the Casucks have axed Willie Desjardins, u have to wonder if they would have promoted GG as head coach if the Flames hadn't have grabbed him. 

I guess theres Hitchcock and Lindy Ruff still out in the wild so maybe they go back to more traditional coaches. Maybe they get smart and sign Green from Utica as a younger more progressive option

I would think Jim Nill in Dallas will be sitting down with Desjardins, seems like he'd be a good, balanced coach for them. And a team that doesn't have near the problems Van does.

Could easily see Nill bringing in a Bishop/Elliott/fill in the blank if he can lose the Lehtonen/Niemi tandem, at least half of it.

Solidify the D group with an Alzner and their decent pipeline, that's still a good team, just needs a few pieces.

Archived