Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Here is a snippet of the Flames vs League PIM’s over the last 5 years.  The four years prior to this one the Flames were a disciplined team when compared to league average.  However, this season we are seeing a spike in Flames PIM’s even though the league average is showing a steady decline from year to year.  We have now entered a new era where the Flames are the most undisciplined in the league.

4420032422a0ae7d528db8d2070f3548.png

9 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Here is a snippet of the Flames vs League PIM’s over the last 5 years.  The four years prior to this one the Flames were a disciplined team when compared to league average.  However, this season we are seeing a spike in Flames PIM’s even though the league average is showing a steady decline from year to year.  We have now entered a new era where the Flames are the most undisciplined in the league.

4420032422a0ae7d528db8d2070f3548.png

Go a step further and break out the individuals causing this spike. Other than cutting out the dumb penalties, I have no problem with a team that sticks up for each other. I think a number of teams have tried to take advantage of our young players and the increase of penalties is reflected.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/west-coast-bias-gaudreau-gulutzan-going-growing-pains/

did anyone read this drivel posted by mark spector and JH, it seems that johnny was late for the team in bus in new york before their practice in central park. Im not quite sure why is saying their is a rift forming between the two, I do see him wanting johnny to play a little different, but thats not a bad thing. Thoughts anyone?

Not sure how that is really news. Johnny acts like a 23 year old kid and the Flames are trying to get him to act like one of their best players. Welcome to the struggle that is pro sports in the 21st century. 

With big contract comes big responsiblities and johnny hasn't learned that yet. He will but until then you'll have growing pains. 

11 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/west-coast-bias-gaudreau-gulutzan-going-growing-pains/

did anyone read this drivel posted by mark spector and JH, it seems that johnny was late for the team in bus in new york before their practice in central park. Im not quite sure why is saying their is a rift forming between the two, I do see him wanting johnny to play a little different, but thats not a bad thing. Thoughts anyone?

Spector has had to live with all this in Edmonton for years so he likely couldn't resist taking a pot shot at the Flames. LOL

Like cross says JG has some maturing to do as a potential leader going forward. If there is a rift between JG and GG I would think it is all about his lacklustre play so far this season. Personally I am close to the "trade Johnny" chant if he doesn't shape up and grow up fast.

First off Spector is the Edmonton equivalent of Eric Francis, in that they love to blow things out of proportion and sensationalize stories.

I do agree with Cross, Gaudreau has some maturing to do. He has been pretty much been able to do whatever he wants on and off the ice, up to this year. Teams aren't letting him do what he wants on the ice and instead of fighting through it he seems to want to whine and complain about it. Now lots of young stars go through this, and most come out the otherside just fine. I think Gaudreau will learn from this season and I expect him to figure it out going into next season.

37 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

First off Spector is the Edmonton equivalent of Eric Francis, in that they love to blow things out of proportion and sensationalize stories.

I do agree with Cross, Gaudreau has some maturing to do. He has been pretty much been able to do whatever he wants on and off the ice, up to this year. Teams aren't letting him do what he wants on the ice and instead of fighting through it he seems to want to whine and complain about it. Now lots of young stars go through this, and most come out the otherside just fine. I think Gaudreau will learn from this season and I expect him to figure it out going into next season.

Time will tell but until he shows some signs of finding his way I think the Flames should keep their options open as well as their minds. Good LWers with more size and similar scoring abilities come along quite often. Just sayin.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Time will tell but until he shows some signs of finding his way I think the Flames should keep their options open as well as their minds. Good LWers with more size and similar scoring abilities come along quite often. Just sayin.

It's not like he has fallen off the map.  He still leads the Flames in p/gp.  Tied for 3rd in points with 10 games less played.

Last year he feasted on points scored at home, while this year he is closer to even between home and away.  His +/- is taking a hit on the road, for obvious reasons.  He has some growing up to do, for sure, but his attitude also has a lot to do with being unable to change the game.  Monahan is struggling this season, so he is taking the initiative of trying to fix the lack of scoring.  Try high risk pays that used to work.  Hold onto the puck too long.  

If the line wasn't getting chances I would be more concerned that the player has lost his effectiveness.  But that is not the case.  Their struggles are as much in finishing a decent chance as not getting chances.    

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's not like he has fallen off the map.  He still leads the Flames in p/gp.  Tied for 3rd in points with 10 games less played.

Last year he feasted on points scored at home, while this year he is closer to even between home and away.  His +/- is taking a hit on the road, for obvious reasons.  He has some growing up to do, for sure, but his attitude also has a lot to do with being unable to change the game.  Monahan is struggling this season, so he is taking the initiative of trying to fix the lack of scoring.  Try high risk pays that used to work.  Hold onto the puck too long.  

If the line wasn't getting chances I would be more concerned that the player has lost his effectiveness.  But that is not the case.  Their struggles are as much in finishing a decent chance as not getting chances.    

I don't disagree with anything you have here. Gaudreau may turn out just fine I just don't like the way he is going about things. I would also say Monahan was struggling earlier and seems fine lately.

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Gaudrea was top 10 in points last year. How many LWers with size and scoring ability like that do you know?

its very hard to find players in today's game that are capable of putting up around a PPG. PPG player with size? Ya good luck with that. 

38 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I don't disagree with anything you have here. Gaudreau may turn out just fine I just don't like the way he is going about things. I would also say Monahan was struggling earlier and seems fine lately.

I think his "coaching moment" before last game helped him understand a bit better.  He didn't hit the scoresheet, but his play was responsible and he had a few good defensive plays, especially with the game close.  He is learning some new parts of his game; injury recovery, not improving season over season, having his hands targeted without drawing calls...

My point is that we didn't see a sophomore slump, but every player sees a setback at some point in their careers.  How he is able to adjust is bith on coaching (for putting him in the right situations) and the player (for dealing with adversity).

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think his "coaching moment" before last game helped him understand a bit better.  He didn't hit the scoresheet, but his play was responsible and he had a few good defensive plays, especially with the game close.  He is learning some new parts of his game; injury recovery, not improving season over season, having his hands targeted without drawing calls...

My point is that we didn't see a sophomore slump, but every player sees a setback at some point in their careers.  How he is able to adjust is bith on coaching (for putting him in the right situations) and the player (for dealing with adversity).

The funny thing about it all is, he was really good defensively up until this season. It's just too bad that he has regressed a bit in that department. Gaudreau wasn't ever going to be the PK guy, and super great in our own end, but his back check was phenomenal. How often have we seen that this year?

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm sure the sit down was necessary and I'm also sure GG got his message across to JG however any coach expects his top players to act and carry themselves professionally. Ever person works through adversities, it is a matter of how you come out of them. Don't get me wrong on this, I like a lot of what JG does however there are parts of his game I can't stand right now.

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Gaudrea was top 10 in points last year. How many LWers with size and scoring ability like that do you know?

its very hard to find players in today's game that are capable of putting up around a PPG. PPG player with size? Ya good luck with that. 

THX cross I will let you know when I come across one for us.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

The funny thing about it all is, he was really good defensively up until this season. It's just too bad that he has regressed a bit in that department. Gaudreau wasn't ever going to be the PK guy, and super great in our own end, but his back check was phenomenal. How often have we seen that this year?

His back check has been absent this whole season and until lately as TD pointed out after this recent coach/player chat he showed he was still capable of doing it.

35 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

His back check has been absent this whole season and until lately as TD pointed out after this recent coach/player chat he showed he was still capable of doing it.

I wonder if that little bit of attitude or laziness on the back-check comes with the new contract? Is that thinking he doesn't have to now that he is "the man?"

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I wonder if that little bit of attitude or laziness on the back-check comes with the new contract? Is that thinking he doesn't have to now that he is "the man?"

Frustration creeps in with pros.  You lose possession after a good shift and you lack some of the jump necessary to back check.  You can see that in his reactions.  After the turnover against the Yotes, he skated directly to the bench.  In prevous seasons (and in the PHI game), he skated back hard to strip the puck form the other team.

It's emotion.

These guys aren't robots.

You want your guys to have it, but JG seems to be running on negative.

Makes you wonder...I'll leave it at that.

Imo, he needs a vet line mate to punch him out, errr, set him straight.

OHL line

JG-Backs-Frolik

That's our top 6 players, top 6, not 9, nothing to spread around.

Figure it out GG...need O.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It's emotion.

These guys aren't robots.

You want your guys to have it, but JG seems to be running on negative.

Makes you wonder...I'll leave it at that.

Imo, he needs a vet line mate to punch him out, errr, set him straight.

OHL line

JG-Backs-Frolik

That's our top 6 players, top 6, not 9, nothing to spread around.

Figure it out GG...need O.

Interesting.  Many have been saying that Johnny would be better off with Backs/Frolik.  The only problem is the zone starts.  Maybe that makes it easier on transition, because those two can get the puck out.  The BMT line sounds interesting.  Tkachuk would have to be comfortable on RW for it to work.  

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Interesting.  Many have been saying that Johnny would be better off with Backs/Frolik.  The only problem is the zone starts.  Maybe that makes it easier on transition, because those two can get the puck out.  The BMT line sounds interesting.  Tkachuk would have to be comfortable on RW for it to work.  

Don't over think it, lol.

We may never know...it's just what I'd do.

But of course I'd be a hard checking from behind and fired after exit meetings. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

2nd in scoring for LWs only behind Benn.

30ad1d91fe7a927e7539416f7ac2a0f9.png

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I think that's the thing, Gaudreau might benefit from a center who can skate with the puck as well. Backlund makes room for other players. 

In regards to Johnny I think the biggest thing is this year he's starting to experience the most adversity he's seen and is always second guessing himself, I think if a lot of the pressure starts to lift off of him he'll return to form, you can see it he's trying too much and second guessing himself this year compared to the last couple years.

Archived