Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

I did not think that Bob Hartley would still be the Flame's coach after the "5 year rebuild" was complete.

Most coaches simply do not last that long.

I believe that the NHL average is around 2.86 seasons.

I feel that he did an OK job while here, but had hit a wall with the roster he was given.

Glen Gulutzan has not been here long enough for me to decide if he will be the solution or the problem.

That said, I was anticipating that Calgary would be a consistent play-off team by 2017/2018 (end of 5 years).

That's not looking likely to me right now.

I haven't seen enough hockey this season to venture an strong opinion on whether or not it's a coaching problem, or just a lack of execution by the players, though I'd bet on the latter at this point.

So far this season, our "best" players have not been our best players.

Until/unless they are, I don't anticipate this team even sniffing the play-offs this year.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Succes? Where the flames pick last year? Where did they pick in 3 of his 4 season?

for sure gulutzan has yet to show he is an amazing coach and for sure it remains to be seen if treliving made the right call hiring him but I do agree we need to get past this idea that Hartley was a good coach. 

My point wasn't to defend BH as a "great" coach, but to tone down the "useless" rhetoric.

BH always had our players' backs, you have to give him that.

Many were talking about his Bennett usage as a reason for his firing. But beyond that, BT strapped his ability to ice a contending team regardless.

49 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

My point wasn't to defend BH as a "great" coach, but to tone down the "useless" rhetoric.

BH always had our players' backs, you have to give him that.

Many were talking about his Bennett usage as a reason for his firing. But beyond that, BT strapped his ability to ice a contending team regardless.

BH was a good motivator, it depends on your opinion of a good coach.

@tmac just because we are 28th in the league doesn't mean our 5 on 5 play has not improved.  Tell me how many games this year have been lost because of our pk or lack of scoring on the pp, we haven't lost games 5 on 5 and it could be said that we have deserved to win most games 5 on 5

5 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I hear Gulutzan's a great one, still waiting to see Babcock style losing-his-excrement though.

Babcock's a great coach, as a comparitor.

Boudreau, McLellan, Hitchcock etc...

It isn't hard to find NHL coaches losing their excrement.

Show me GG showing emotion. It's like a Ferland fight like JG said.

It intensifies things. Good coaches do it that way too. Get pissed off...

42 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

@tmac just because we are 28th in the league doesn't mean our 5 on 5 play has not improved.  Tell me how many games this year have been lost because of our pk or lack of scoring on the pp, we haven't lost games 5 on 5 and it could be said that we have deserved to win most games 5 on 5

Kind of like the dog catching the rabbit scenario...or only being off by 2 numbers winning the lotto blah blah, we lost all relative.

41 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I hear Gulutzan's a great one, still waiting to see Babcock style losing-his-excrement though.

41 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

There is a time and a place to lose it on your players, right now our top guys are playing without confidence, it's the wrong time to go nuclear on them.

You have to time those things that's why guys like Hartley and Torts have such short shelve lives, they go to the screaming well too many times and after awhile they get tuned out.

I know if I had a coach that just screamed at my team I tuned him out after the second time. Screaming and getting pissed off only works for certain players, other players just want and need to be talked to like a real person.

Tonight on the pregame interview GG said the only way out of this confidence wall we are up against, is to practice and to continue on doing it over and over.

With that in mind where are those who love to quote the old adage that was never said by Einstein "Insanity is the act of doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results"

Edit: Gawd I passed a big milestone on these forums and did not notice until now. 10k posts...  bring on 1500 likes next

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Tonight on the pregame interview GG said the only way out of this confidence wall we are up against, is to practice and to continue on doing it over and over.

With that in mind where are those who love to quote the old adage that was never said by Einstein "Insanity is the act of doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results"

Edit: Gawd I passed a big milestone on these forums and did not notice until now. 10k posts...  bring on 1500 likes next

Congrats on hitting 10k.

Trying the same thing over and over again is what most teams do.  The Flames like to change things after a win or a loss, but don't address the areas that need changing.

PP isn't working - try the same players on the units.

Defensive pairs look good 5v5, change them all.

Win a game, change the defense.

As it turns out, the player that scores the first Flames PP goal at home is Ferland.  Who'd have thought that one of the most consistent Flames player could use more than 10 minutes in a game or some PP time?

Latest practice line:

JH-Monahan-Brouwer

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Ferland-Bennett-Chaisson

Shinkaruk-Stajan-Hathaway/Freddie

Gio-Wideman

Brodie-Engelland

Kulak-Hamilton

I guess the learnings from previous game means nothing on defense.  Play Engelland with Kulak.  If you need to play Wideman with Gio, then play Brodie on RD and Hamilton on LD.  Put one of those players in a position to succeed.  Tkachuk is in full practice, so likely he slots in.  I would have like to see him on the top line.  If that was the plan, then you could use Brouwer on RW, Frolik on LW, and Backlund at center.  Frolik is good enough to play LW, and it's his natural side.  

I think it's important to ride the guys in the top lines right now.  Gaudreau is playing pretty consistently right now, but his shift ends before a lot happens.  You see the extra spark when he plays 1/2 a shift with Backlund or Bennett.  Ferland is playing like a top 6 player right now; feed him some minutes.  Frolik needs some PP time.

16 hours ago, Jarome_Iginla12 said:

It is time for GG to go. Clearly the team is not playing for him . Very frustrating

You might be right, but we're shutdown pdq when we start entertaining that thought.

Apparently we've been good 5v5, so I guess constant 2 on 1s are okay.

On a sad note, we have to keep playing NHL teams, which I think is unfair.

Our back-to-back on the road might help, but I'm losing faith.

Losses in Minny and Arizona would clearly put us in the Gutterzan era...

The positives are dissipating.

Just now, conundrumed said:

AKA deer in the headlights.

I had to do some searching for it. I watch the games through Center Ice Subscription and they cut off the game as soon as time has expired. The downside is I have to search for things like the after hours videos.

I did not hear much in the way of solutions to our struggles. I think that is what is most disappointing to me. Our problems are much deeper than just the coaches however.

*not directed to you Conumdrumed....

I have so many concerns flying through my head this season.. things like:

We are told that if we control the puck more that the Flames would win more. Obviously we are better 5on5 and controling the puck more however the wins are almost nonexistent. I know the stats guys don't like this type of comment and will explain it away as too small a sample however the the stats are right there and contradicting what we were told.

* on a side note the Coyotes hired a stats guy as GM and they are structuring their team around advanced stats. How is that working out for you Arizona? Oh small sample.. okay..

26cc03ce3fe195c859d182976fa04317.png

my advanced stats say we are bottom of the league with the exception of the Coyotes and are only ahead of them because we have played 2 more games and managed 1 more point in the standings.

-20 +/- after 16 games is the best indicator of our play of all stats.. advanced or not. Last season we were only -29 after all 82 games.

Bottom of the league in goals allowed on pace for 302. Last season we allowed 260 goals

Last season we scored 231 goals for, this season we are on pace for 199, a drop of about 40 goals.

Frankly I am getting a bit pissed at those who say they see improvement and that we are playing better than under BH last year..... Umm no we aren't.  the stats say different.

1 minute ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I had to do some searching for it. I watch the games through Center Ice Subscription and they cut off the game as soon as time has expired. The downside is I have to search for things like the after hours videos.

I did not hear much in the way of solutions to our struggles. I think that is what is most disappointing to me. Our problems are much deeper than just the coaches however.

We are told that if we control the puck more that the Flames would win more. Obviously we are better 5on5 and controling the puck more however the wins are almost nonexistent. I know the stats guys don't like this type of comment and will explain it away as too small a sample however the the stats are right there and contradicting what we were told.

* on a side note the Coyotes hired a stats guy as GM and they are structuring their team around advanced stats. How is that working out for you Arizona? Oh small sample.. okay..

my advanced stats say we are bottom of the league with the exception of the Coyotes and are only ahead of them because we have played 2 more games and managed 1 more point in the standings.

-20 +/- after 16 games is the best indicator of our play of all stats.. advanced or not. Last season we were only -29 after all 82 games.

Bottom of the league in goals allowed on pace for 302. Last season we allowed 260 goals

Last season we scored 231 goals for, this season we are on pace for 199, a drop of about 40 goals.

Frankly I am getting a bit pissed at those who say they see improvement and that we are playing better than under BH last year..... Umm no we aren't.  the stats say different.

Who is saying we are playing better over the same period with GG vs BH ? All I saw cross we aren't better over the same period. I try not to look backwards so I'm looking for improvement as we go along this season. Parts of our game are coming along and then we shoot ourselves with untimely mistakes. Tough to beat team at the top of their games such as the NYR when as a team we are still finding our game. Nobody likes losing but we have a ways to go yet.

3 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Who is saying we are playing better over the same period with GG vs BH ? All I saw cross we aren't better over the same period. I try not to look backwards so I'm looking for improvement as we go along this season. Parts of our game are coming along and then we shoot ourselves with untimely mistakes. Tough to beat team at the top of their games such as the NYR when as a team we are still finding our game. Nobody likes losing but we have a ways to go yet.

I was not saying you were making these claims, but is all through this thread about how much better we were playing.... many other threads too.

15 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I guess you are saying that coaching plays a big part in the struggles.

The bad PK and lack of PP scoring is killing the differential.  -17 in PK and +5 in PP.  I know our scoring per game is down.  Top line scoring is way down.    

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Should a 9-20 record come around, is that cool too? What is your "problem" point? Or have you looked that far ahead?

I don't think I have looked that far ahead, no. I am going game by game right now and looking for the positives and there are some. My biggest criticism is GG not settling into pairings and lines that have a chance to gell and work within these systems. This failure is prolonging the agony of learning his systems and making them work. IMO

8 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I don't think I have looked that far ahead, no. I am going game by game right now and looking for the positives and there are some. My biggest criticism is GG not settling into pairings and lines that have a chance to gell and work within these systems. This failure is prolonging the agony of learning his systems and making them work. IMO

Man. We are playing Minny next and then to ARI for back-to-back.

Teams are hungry and we're a feast.

We can't play the "transition" card ANY longer, we'll be boardinged.

We're awfully close to prison hooking...

4 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I was not saying you were making these claims, but is all through this thread about how much better we were playing.... many other threads too.

Big difference between saying the team has played better 5 on 5, has looked better in stretches then under BH. The stats also point out that our team is struggling on special teams, I cant find the article I read but it pointed out that at 5 on 5 this team has won more games then lost by goals, its a special teams we are getting killed. 

Im not making excuses just pointing out the stats.

I still think we are struggling with consistency, without our top guns firing its ridiculous. Does anyone think we really got outplayed by the rangers by a ton? They played mistake free hockey more or less, we made 2 big mistakes that ended up in our net, with a third time being elliot cheating off the post.

Archived