Daniel Pribyl

Reportedly Friedman has stated DPribyl will sign with the Flames after his Czech League playoffs are completed.  Wikipedia states he's signed with the Flames May 1, 2016.  Awaiting confirmation.

Primly is a RHS-RW? who is 23 years old and originally drafted by Montreal in the 6th Round in 2011.  He scored 45 pts in 45 games this year in the Czech league.  

Daniel Přibyl Born December 18, 1992 (age 23)
OstravaCzechoslovakia Height 6 ft 3 in (191 cm) Weight 190 lb (86 kg; 13 st 8 lb) Position Forward Shoots Right NHL team (P)
Cur. team Calgary Flames
HC Sparta Praha (Czech Extraliga) NHL Draft 168th overall, 2011
Montreal Canadiens Playing career 2011–present

Sounds like a good young player, a late bloomer with size (6'3" & ~205-220lbs?) and skill.  Could be interesting....

Reportedly Friedman has stated DPribyl will sign with the Flames after his Czech League playoffs are completed.  Wikipedia states he's signed with the Flames May 1, 2016.  Awaiting confirmation.

Primly is a RHS-RW? who is 23 years old and originally drafted by Montreal in the 6th Round in 2011.  He scored 45 pts in 45 games this year in the Czech league.  

Daniel Přibyl Born December 18, 1992 (age 23)

OstravaCzechoslovakia Height 6 ft 3 in (191 cm) Weight 190 lb (86 kg; 13 st 8 lb) Position Forward Shoots Right NHL team (P)

Cur. team Calgary Flames

HC Sparta Praha (Czech Extraliga) NHL Draft 168th overall, 2011

Montreal Canadiens Playing career 2011–present

Sounds like a good young player, a late bloomer with size (6'3" & ~205-220lbs?) and skill.  Could be interesting....

Everything looks good on paper, have to wait and pass judgement if and when it happens. I may be gun shy from the last attempt of a guy being touted as the best player not in the NHL we signed

Everything looks good on paper, have to wait and pass judgement if and when it happens. I may be gun shy from the last attempt of a guy being touted as the best player not in the NHL we signed

He's a bit younger than Cervenka, though.  We seem to have had better luck with other Czech players though, right?

Hudler

Frolik

Nakladal

Here's hoping.  He checks off a few boxes:  RW, RHS, Big body forward.  No cost to sign other than salary. 

Worth a shot but I think this is more of a depth move/ acquiring a prospect then getting an nhler. From everything I've read and seen he has really good hands for his size nd a pretty good shot as well. However he also doesn't play to his size and he is skating is only ok, it's big great.

Still fills a need in the organization and if he can improve on skating or get a more physical game flames may have something but for now I think he should be viewed as a prospect.

Pribyl was second in scoring in the Czech league this season.  I'll give you one guess as to who outscored him.  :)

Yup, I figured! Lol

Cervenka.

I wonder what he could've done with a better team.

Cervenka was a cluster of everything that could go wrong .(wasnt a center , barely spoke the language, no real camp , lockout season ..etc)  I actually felt had he come back , for a real camp , and a full season we would have seen a better player and results.

In fairness to Cervenka, he never really got untracked here.  He had a blood clot in his thigh, if memory serves.

oh ya..that too..

He's a bit younger than Cervenka, though.  We seem to have had better luck with other Czech players though, right?

Hudler

Frolik

Nakladal

Here's hoping.  He checks off a few boxes:  RW, RHS, Big body forward.  No cost to sign other than salary. 

He's a Lot younger than Cervenka, even back when we signed him.

I've had my eye on Daniel for a while and never dared suggest him on these boards because the chances of him getting signed were so small it wasn't worth the argument.

Now that he has been (if true), I have to tip my hat to BT.   He has the Potential to be a top line RW.   And at worst, a cheap, big depth player on the Flames/AHL at a position where it's needed.

Really happy with this signing.   Great asset management.

In fairness to Cervenka, he never really got untracked here.  He had a blood clot in his thigh, if memory serves.

Cervenka didn't Really get a fair shot, but more importantly, he was already well into, and maybe past, his prime, before he came there.

Signing a guy like Daniel, who is going INTO his prime....that's how you give these kids a fair chance at making the North American transition.   

No guarantees....in fact...not great odds.  But WAY better odds than Cervenka ever had here.

For two reasons.   

1:  They're attempting the transition at a more reasonable age this time.

2.   A 23 year old Privyl  >>>>  than a 23 year old Cervenka ever was.

He's a Lot younger than Cervenka, even back when we signed him.

I've had my eye on Daniel for a while and never dared suggest him on these boards because the chances of him getting signed were so small it wasn't worth the argument.

Now that he has been (if true), I have to tip my hat to BT.   He has the Potential to be a top line RW.   And at worst, a cheap, big depth player on the Flames/AHL at a position where it's needed.

Really happy with this signing.   Great asset management.

Cervenka didn't Really get a fair shot, but more importantly, he was already well into, and maybe past, his prime, before he came there.

Signing a guy like Daniel, who is going INTO his prime....that's how you give these kids a fair chance at making the North American transition.   

No guarantees....in fact...not great odds.  But WAY better odds than Cervenka ever had here.

For two reasons.   

1:  They're attempting the transition at a more reasonable age this time.

2.   A 23 year old Privyl  >>>>  than a 23 year old Cervenka ever was.

Is that what MTL loved about him?

He is worth taking a chance on for sure. That was true for Cervenka and Wolf. Almost no risk. At worst he is probably a very functional AHL player. At best he is a good NHL player at a position we need.

The worst thing anyone can say about this is 'manage your expectations.' Which I think is reasonable and I am certainly managing mine.

He is worth taking a chance on for sure. That was true for Cervenka and Wolf. Almost no risk. At worst he is probably a very functional AHL player. At best he is a good NHL player at a position we need.

The worst thing anyone can say about this is 'manage your expectations.' Which I think is reasonable and I am certainly managing mine.

We will probably get a better sense of this team's makeup once the draft, RFA and UFA signings are done.  I doubt BT goes "all in" on a player of this variety.  But, I also think some of the players on the team may not be back.  We have holes on RW.  We have one RHS on the current roster (Jooris).  While Jooris played OK this year, there will be even more competition this year for roster spots.

Shore, Hathaway and Hamilton all are possible replacements for Jooris on the 4th line.  But, like Grant, you may only see Hamilton and Hathaway retained.

I'll just take a wild stab at the potential roster, bearing in mind it's only true if Pribyl is able to make the NHL squad.

Johnny - Monahan - Ferland

Colborne - Backlund - Frolik

Shinkaruk - Bennett - Pribyl

Bouma - Stajan - Jooris

It's not ideal playing Ferland on the top line.  Flip a coin between him and Shinkaruk.  Ideally, we sign someone to fill that top line role, which bumps Shinkaruk back to the farm, or we don't intend on signing Jooris (or he gets demoted).  I doubt Grant re-signs, since he wants to play in the NHL.  Shore hasn't shown enough progress.  Poirier needs to have a good camp to replace any of those possible players too.

We should get a good look at Pribyl this summer.  He will likely be at the Rookie camp, followed by play at the Young Stars and then the main camp.  

We will probably get a better sense of this team's makeup once the draft, RFA and UFA signings are done. I doubt BT goes "all in" on a player of this variety. But, I also think some of the players on the team may not be back. We have holes on RW. We have one RHS on the current roster (Jooris). While Jooris played OK this year, there will be even more competition this year for roster spots.

Shore, Hathaway and Hamilton all are possible replacements for Jooris on the 4th line. But, like Grant, you may only see Hamilton and Hathaway retained.

I'll just take a wild stab at the potential roster, bearing in mind it's only true if Pribyl is able to make the NHL squad.

Johnny - Monahan - Ferland

Colborne - Backlund - Frolik

Shinkaruk - Bennett - Pribyl

Bouma - Stajan - Jooris

It's not ideal playing Ferland on the top line. Flip a coin between him and Shinkaruk. Ideally, we sign someone to fill that top line role, which bumps Shinkaruk back to the farm, or we don't intend on signing Jooris (or he gets demoted). I doubt Grant re-signs, since he wants to play in the NHL. Shore hasn't shown enough progress. Poirier needs to have a good camp to replace any of those possible players too.

We should get a good look at Pribyl this summer. He will likely be at the Rookie camp, followed by play at the Young Stars and then the main camp.

I thought I read somewhere that he was injured during the Czech League playoffs, so he might end up skipping Development Camp. Maybe he would still come and let the team doctors and trainers take a look at him and get him on a summer program.

I thought I read somewhere that he was injured during the Czech League playoffs, so he might end up skipping Development Camp. Maybe he would still come and let the team doctors and trainers take a look at him and get him on a summer program.

Yes, I just read that too.  No details on the extent of the injury though.  If not serious, then they would probably acclimatize him this summer, possibly bring him in to get up to speed for at least the main camp.  

Is that what MTL loved about him?

So I appreciate that somebody had to say this.  

Of course, when you're getting high potential for free, you're pulling it out of the garbage bin.    And it's not coming with a warrantee.

The Flames have a limited number of contracts, so they have to be choosy about these signings, of course.   But the fact that one NHL team gave up on him, or multiple may have passed, is....

well, it's basically true (in some form) for every player that wasn't taken in the first round and then developed into an NHL player by that team.

It's true for 90% of NHLers.  Gaudreau.  Brodie.   Giordano.     It's a consideration that we have to be aware of.  And I would be sickened if we signed him to an expensive contract like we did with Cervenka.    But if you want to get ahead of the curve, you HAVE to SELECTIVELY give prospects second chances.  Or give first chances to prospects that were passed over by EVERYONE else.   There's no choice in the matter.  That's been shown time and time again.

It's a consideration that we have to be aware of.  And I would be sickened if we signed him to an expensive contract like we did with Cervenka.   

They will get the same contract, they have to its an entry level deal for both.

Cervenka's contract was not expensive, it was your standard entry level contrat with is a base around 950 K with bonuses that make it eligible to earn up to 3 million. Cervenka's cap hit was 3 million becuase at the time you had to account for those bonuses against your cap but the Flames did not pay him close to that. IIRC Cervenka earned just the 950K because I don't believe he hit any bonuses.

Pribyl's contract I would suspect will be structured the same. Same base salary but with similar bonus potetnial and the ability to earn upwards of 2-3 million if he hits those bonuses. 

They will get the same contract, they have to its an entry level deal for both.

Cervenka's contract was not expensive, it was your standard entry level contrat with is a base around 950 K with bonuses that make it eligible to earn up to 3 million. Cervenka's cap hit was 3 million becuase at the time you had to account for those bonuses against your cap but the Flames did not pay him close to that. IIRC Cervenka earned just the 950K because I don't believe he hit any bonuses.

Pribyl's contract I would suspect will be structured the same. Same base salary but with similar bonus potetnial and the ability to earn upwards of 2-3 million if he hits those bonuses. 

ok....I'll take your word for it....

I never really understood Cervenka's contract...and I probably never will.   

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.com/2012/5/5/3001216/roman-cervenkas-contract-structure-and-why-hes-worth-every-penny

I guess we'll find out more soon.    I DO think it's a fantastic move, even with the risk considered.

He is hurt enough that he already told Russia he would not play in the worlds. I am in the agreement that some old contracts will not be renewed but I'm in the believe that Jooris will not be coming back he can play in the NHL but this yr he was not anything special. Hathaway played more of a gritty game I wouldn't be surprised if they tried getting Huds back.

Pribyl is a "free" prospect, aside from taking up one of the 50 allowed contracts (if actually signed).

Off-season knee surgery?

I feel the Flames will be fortunate if he can put up good numbers in Stockton next season.

IMO, best case scenario, he is a Top 2 line NHL RW by 2017/2018.

Archived