Daniel Pribyl

At least your expectations are somewhat tempered.  I've seen posts on a couple forums where people expect him to play on a line with Gaudreau ad Monahan.  I believe there was even some talk of his ability to turn water into wine.

I think Treliving got a pretty strict talking to from Burke when he got here that they needed to stop overselling prospects. Treliving must have used the word "caution" at least a half dozen times in the 3-4 minutes he spent talking about Pribyl.

I think Treliving got a pretty strict talking to from Burke when he got here that they needed to stop overselling prospects. Treliving must have used the word "caution" at least a half dozen times in the 3-4 minutes he spent talking about Pribyl.

I didn't hear that particular interview, but earlier in the week he said that Pribyl will need some time in the AHL.  

I didn't hear that particular interview, but earlier in the week he said that Pribyl will need some time in the AHL.  

He said that again. He just said he wanted to "caution" people that Pribyl is still young and still developing and that they only view him as an asset to bring into camp and see what he can do and that no expectations should really be put on him. So to your point, he basically said the expectation should be for him to come in and compete but likely head to the AHL. anything more was a bonus.

It was just funny to me how many times he said it. Once or twice I would agree, but it was at least a half dozen times. No "we just signed the best player not in the NHL" speech coming from Treliving. 

Clearly Burke disliked Feaster overselling prospects.  He has said as much.  I am sure that some of this is the Burke influence.  I also think Treliving is a pragmatic guy and isn't in the business of salesmanship.  

Either way, its refreshing.  Feaster was a used car salesman.  One of my biggest issues with him.  

He said that again. He just said he wanted to "caution" people that Pribyl is still young and still developing and that they only view him as an asset to bring into camp and see what he can do and that no expectations should really be put on him. So to your point, he basically said the expectation should be for him to come in and compete but likely head to the AHL. anything more was a bonus.

It was just funny to me how many times he said it. Once or twice I would agree, but it was at least a half dozen times. No "we just signed the best player not in the NHL" speech coming from Treliving. 

I am glad that he did that.  He also mentioned that Pribyl played mostly as a center, but has played on RW this season.  Since he is coming off surgery and is new to the NA game, some time in the AHL is expected.  He's not a vet like Nakladal was when he came he.  Less years experience.

According to Bob McKenzie Pribyl had ACL surgery. He flew to Calgary to have the surgery. I am hoping that he stays around and that the team can work with his rehab.

I was hoping to hear he would have it here.  I am also hoping we hear the "official" signing by the end of the weekend.

EDIT - Well, he was signed today.

http://flamesnation.ca/2016/4/28/flames-officially-sign-daniel-pribyl

Ignore the talk in the article about him playing on the top line.  That's more wishful thinking than any real prediction.

AWESOME. 

I think.

Any word on the contract?  Really hoping cross is wrong that it's a clone of Cervenka's.

Has to be and is. If you are under 27 and have no played in the league it has to be an entry level deal. The bonuses may different but we shall see.

It's all performance bonuses anyway so even if he gets the max (somewhere in the 2-3 mill range) he only gets them if he performs and i'm pretty sure to get those you ahve to be things like top 10 in league scoring, Playoff MVP etc etc. Artem Pinanrin received the maximum 2.8 of performance bonuses so my assumption would be Pribyl would come in under that. 

Long story short, if the Flames end up having to pay him 2-3 million it will be well worth it....

The 23-year-old’s deal is for two years and is a two-way entry-level contract. Pribyl finished second in the Czech Extraliga scoring race this season with 16 goals and 45 points in 46 games. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-expected-sign-czech-scoring-star-daniel-pribyl/

Long story short, if the Flames end up having to pay him 2-3 million it will be well worth it....

Totally agree there,

The issue is, if he Doesn't perform well  (hey, I think he's a great acquisition.  But it's risk).....is the Flames Cap still affected as if he earned the max?

Totally agree there,

The issue is, if he Doesn't perform well  (hey, I think he's a great acquisition.  But it's risk).....is the Flames Cap still affected as if he earned the max?

No, they only count if you actually earn them. However, if you max out your cap and performance bonuses earned take you over the cap you have to take the cap hit the next season. so let's say if the Flames only had 1 million in cap space and Pribyl hit his bonuses and they had to pay him 2 million they would have a 1 mill cap hit the next season.

IIRC the rules were different for Cervenka. At that time the cap hit that was counted against the cap included bonuses. NHL changed it in the last CBA. 

No, they only count if you actually earn them. However, if you max out your cap and performance bonuses earned take you over the cap you have to take the cap hit the next season. so let's say if the Flames only had 1 million in cap space and Pribyl hit his bonuses and they had to pay him 2 million they would have a 1 mill cap hit the next season.

IIRC the rules were different for Cervenka. At that time the cap hit that was counted against the cap included bonuses. NHL changed it in the last CBA. 

Ok....I have to say,

Your knowledge of these contracts is Really impressive.  

Thanks.    So....I'm ok with that, that's actually way better than the Cervenka situation.

If Pribyl earns those bonuses, he's worth that cap hit.   I was just worried about spending that much cap hit on what is really a bit of a risk.    But it sounds like we're not risking any more than the base salary.  So.....Awesome.   Great move.

I think you also have to look at whether he plays any games in the NHL.  IT's 2-way, so if he is in the AHL for part or all of the season, then the cost is a lot less towards the cap.  Unless I have that wrong.   :huh:

I think you also have to look at whether he plays any games in the NHL.  IT's 2-way, so if he is in the AHL for part or all of the season, then the cost is a lot less towards the cap.  Unless I have that wrong.   :huh:

No that is correct. You only count on the cap if you are on a 1 way or actually on the NHL roster.

There really is no cap or cap hit risk to the Pribyl signing. The only risk is you spent one of your 50 contracts on him so if he is a bust in NA you've wasted a contract spot for 2 years. Outside that, there really is no risk IMO

No that is correct. You only count on the cap if you are on a 1 way or actually on the NHL roster.

There really is no cap or cap hit risk to the Pribyl signing. The only risk is you spent one of your 50 contracts on him so if he is a bust in NA you've wasted a contract spot for 2 years. Outside that, there really is no risk IMO

Absolutely, just need to get healthy then adjusted.  Looking forward to him and seeing what he can do.

Archived