Calgary Flames Drafting and Development: Your Analysis

rickross

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

That is the hope, so it’s why I think it’s best now to keep our draft picks and develop them while this team is good. 

Windows are arbitrary but so is age. Years can go by fast and this core will age. 

Monahan is smart, but he can slow down sooner than some considering he’s not that fleet of foot already. Although there are some vets who last to their 40s and do so because of their hockey iq. 

It can be a double edge sword.

Look at EDM.

Supposedly all these prospects knocking on the door.

Most, if not all, will be stuck in Cali.

Bakersfield had one of the best records last year in the AHL.

Many are returning guys that got a taste of the NHL last season and won't get one this year.

New guys like Bouchard taking the minutes from guys like Bear or Jones.

You only have so many minutes to go around.

Just saying that too many guys cloud the picture.

We know who the best players are in Stockton.

A few guys will surprise and develop into NHL players.

That can happen when the pickings are slim.

Ideally, you turn over the guys you can't develop; the ones that look like they won't be NHL material.

You miss on a few, but many are just not NHL.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s good to know we’ll likely have an extra 3rd rd pick from the Neal/Lucic debacle. I’m thinking it’s purely currency for BT to sweeten a potential trade or transaction. We need more high end forwards in our system, as we’ve done a good job developing d men. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2019 at 12:46 PM, rickross said:

It’s good to know we’ll likely have an extra 3rd rd pick from the Neal/Lucic debacle. I’m thinking it’s purely currency for BT to sweeten a potential trade or transaction. We need more high end forwards in our system, as we’ve done a good job developing d men. 

Neal is slowing down.

One EV goal since October 18th.

2 PPG in the last 13 games.

If, at the end of the season Neal is sitting at 20 goals, he will be sat by the coach (by KH demand).

Just speculation on my part, but I suspect that would be a tactic used.

• 3 weeks later...

Not too much coming out of the pipeline in the next 1-2 years. I think we have a decent group of 3rd and 4th liners...maybe a 2nd liner in the mix with Pelletier. Wolf looks as though he’s progressing but u just never know with goalies. With a new coach on the horizon do we need to re-evaluate our drafting philosophy? Are we at a point where we can say we are confident in the Flames ability to draft ?

15 minutes ago, rickross said:

Not too much coming out of the pipeline in the next 1-2 years. I think we have a decent group of 3rd and 4th liners...maybe a 2nd liner in the mix with Pelletier. Wolf looks as though he’s progressing but u just never know with goalies. With a new coach on the horizon do we need to re-evaluate our drafting philosophy? Are we at a point where we can say we are confident in the Flames ability to draft ?

It's hard to say what we have.

Some guys with really good junior numbers struggling a bit in the pros.

Have two killers in the Q.

Either could make the NHL next season.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

It's hard to say what we have.

Some guys with really good junior numbers struggling a bit in the pros.

Have two killers in the Q.

Either could make the NHL next season.

No blue chippers just a lot of hopefuls is essentially what we have. The future of the Flames is pretty damn hard to forecast. I guess Dube and Vali are it for the foreseeable future. I guess u can put Quine in the mix too. I’ll post it on another thread but it might be time to get a little concerned with the apparent limited scope of potential our future currently holds ....

• 4 weeks later...

Are there any players that look good that are undrafted or entering the 2020 draft that are playing in the World Juniors? 

There looks like there are a few guys on Canada. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/318885/jaromir-pytlik

I like the look of this guy. He's got size, speed and hands, plus plays in all situations. Could he be a 2nd liner or even a guy like Yelle. He's ranked at 63 for Future Considerations and 27th in ISS. 

That sounds like a 2nd rounder for us, possibly a 3rd rounder. Or hopefully we can get another 2nd rounder. Although, we may need to draft a few more D in this one. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/388222/nick-malik

Maybe this guy for JJ? Seems like a good calm goalie with fast reflexes and decent size. 

On 12/27/2019 at 10:02 PM, robrob74 said:

Are there any players that look good that are undrafted or entering the 2020 draft that are playing in the World Juniors? 

There looks like there are a few guys on Canada. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/318885/jaromir-pytlik

I like the look of this guy. He's got size, speed and hands, plus plays in all situations. Could he be a 2nd liner or even a guy like Yelle. He's ranked at 63 for Future Considerations and 27th in ISS. 

That sounds like a 2nd rounder for us, possibly a 3rd rounder. Or hopefully we can get another 2nd rounder. Although, we may need to draft a few more D in this one. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/388222/nick-malik

Maybe this guy for JJ? Seems like a good calm goalie with fast reflexes and decent size. 

well he looks good but My view is that goalie situation has stabilized for the forseeable future and we have a goalie or two likwe parsons that we will be developing.. we are in desperate need of top 2 line right handed forwards 

7 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

well he looks good but My view is that goalie situation has stabilized for the forseeable future and we have a goalie or two likwe parsons that we will be developing.. we are in desperate need of top 2 line right handed forwards 

thinking the 3rd round for a goalie though. We will probably have two of those picks this year with the oils pick coming here 

hey it is kipper!

21 hours ago, robrob74 said:

thinking the 3rd round for a goalie though. We will probably have two of those picks this year with the oils pick coming here 

hey it is kipper!

we won't be able to sign him on 50 player roster or send him to farm for at least the next 3-5 years.. waste of a pick this year

we''ll lose him to redraft before we can sign him

3 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

we won't be able to sign him on 50 player roster or send him to farm for at least the next 3-5 years.. waste of a pick this year

we''ll lose him to redraft before we can sign him

but a goalie can play in the junior league for possibly two more seasons. Then we lose Gillies and possibly others if they don’t progress. 

the Caps and the lightening have been drafting goalies and they have clear #1’s. We don’t have that yet with any of our prospects. We’d still have time to buy the new pick time. 

21 hours ago, robrob74 said:

we wpn't have to worry about that if we can't find anyy players to hit the net with a shot.. another pathetic showing so far tonight... gaudreauu with his usual ice time g

.. has one shot attempt.. wide of net and one takeaway

but a goalie can play in the junior league for possibly two more seasons. Then we lose Gillies and possibly others if they don’t progress. 

the Caps and the lightening have been drafting goalies and they have clear #1’s. We don’t have that yet with any of our prospects. We’d still have time to buy the new pick time. 

• 7 months later...
10 minutes ago, rickross said:

Should be interesting to see what we do with the 3rd from the Lucic/Neal deal. We really need to restock these development cupboards or I can see BT using the 3rd as currency for a much needed trade

The 3rd round pick is definitely a very important selection. There’s talk that the cap might not increase very much throughout the new CBA. That makes drafting even more important than ever, gonna need players on ELC’s to be contributors

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The 3rd round pick is definitely a very important selection. There’s talk that the cap might not increase very much throughout the new CBA. That makes drafting even more important than ever, gonna need players on ELC’s to be contributors

that’s true. hopefully guys like Ruzicka and Phillips among others can step in over those years. 

i actually fear that it is those teams that already have their cupboards stocked that will benefit most. The pick we got will play in junior again next year and if age is young enough, they’ll play another year. 

what I wonder is if the Players hoping to get a college Degree out of playing can actually go that route in the long run, depending on when normalcy happens. 

but a player we draft this year may play 2 jr years, then maybe a year or two in the AHL. Essentially the player we pick this year may not be ready for 5 or 6 years. Or we find a diamond in the rough and they’re ready sooner. 

but I think the organization is going to have to develop from within using players that have already been picked, so keeping picks the past few years was even more important. But how can you forecast it?

36 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

that’s true. hopefully guys like Ruzicka and Phillips among others can step in over those years. 

i actually fear that it is those teams that already have their cupboards stocked that will benefit most. The pick we got will play in junior again next year and if age is young enough, they’ll play another year. 

what I wonder is if the Players hoping to get a college Degree out of playing can actually go that route in the long run, depending on when normalcy happens. 

but a player we draft this year may play 2 jr years, then maybe a year or two in the AHL. Essentially the player we pick this year may not be ready for 5 or 6 years. Or we find a diamond in the rough and they’re ready sooner. 

but I think the organization is going to have to develop from within using players that have already been picked, so keeping picks the past few years was even more important. But how can you forecast it?

The college route is definitely half closed if not entirely.

I think we have stocked a bit just from college UFA's.

As far as how other teams are doing and will do, it's hard to tell.

The cap impacts how they manage thei teams in general.

If they have players that can come in on an ELC, fine.

But most of the players will have to adjust with salaries not increasing much.

While our cupboard may seem empty, really that's just so-called early drafted players.

Is Phillips any worse than Yamamoto?

• 4 weeks later...

If I am the Flames I am looking to loan as many prospects in Europe as I can.

I would for sure look to find Juuso Valimaki a spot, even if it's only for 10 games, he is guy that needs those games right now.

I believe they have already loaned Pospisil to a team in Slovakia, it would be nice if they could loan Ruzicka to the same team.

Yelesin is a guy who might get more of a look next season, so maybe see if he can go to the KHL. Same for Zagidullin. Zavgorodny will be making the jump to pro hockey he is a guy who benefit from some games in the KHL.

Carl-Johan Lerby will be making the jump across the pond, but maybe he can stay in Sweden for an extra month or two. 

Mathias Emilio Pettersen is also making the jump to pro hockey, maybe he can find some games in Norway or Sweden.

Interesting info that I think will surprise some people. Corey Pronman, who is a writer for the athletic and focuses on prospects and the draft, did an organization ranking of all players 21 and under. It was not prospects it was young players so players who are in the NHL count. 

Flames ranked 12. It's behind a paywall so I won't post too much but Tkachuk makes this list and probably pushes them much higher. But good reminder that the talent base here is pretty good. 

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Interesting info that I think will surprise some people. Corey Pronman, who is a writer for the athletic and focuses on prospects and the draft, did an organization ranking of all players 21 and under. It was not prospects it was young players so players who are in the NHL count. 

Flames ranked 12. It's behind a paywall so I won't post too much but Tkachuk makes this list and probably pushes them much higher. But good reminder that the talent base here is pretty good. 

There is hope with the farm.

Some interesting players that probably could or should have played this year.

Some other that are a year or so out (Zav and Ruzicka, maybe Petterson).

We don't have much defensive depth, but we do have a few guys that aren't on the radar yet (Swede - Larby or something like that, Poolman).

Parsons and Wolf are the goalies we really can't be sure about yet.

Other than size and line fit, Phillips should be in the NHL - IMHO.

Gawdin showed a lot in the camp.

41 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Looks like we should have drafted Demko. That McDonald pick sure looks worse now! 😬

You win some you lose some, the Flames wiffed on McDonald for sure, but 2 years later the Canucks returned the favor on Tkachuk.  In a world where you can't have your cake and eat it, if you had the choice between Demko and Tkachuk I'd still take Tkachuk everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.  Demko is still a 3.02 and .906, through 37 games on a 2 game heater, Mike Smith once had a .944% in a 16 game playoff run, he is the definition of average goalie bottom line is what Demko has done the last 2 games has been done before by very average goalies.  Yes, I'd rather him than McDonald, but he needs to do more before I lose any sleep over it.

56 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Didn't he have them around the bottom last year?  Pretty big jump which is good to see.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Didn't he have them around the bottom last year?  Pretty big jump which is good to see.

Yes but he changed the criteria. Last year's was a true prospect list but this year he took the young player approach and included players in the NHL so now Tkachuk makes the list and a big reason for the bump. In addition to Tkachuk he is still really high on Valimaki and Emilio Petterson and the Flames undrafted signe Connor Mackay. 

But Tkachuk is a major reason why they bumped up the list. 

I look forward to the canuckleheads appointing Demko the starter and letting Markstrom walk, only to find out the young guy isn't the second coming of goaltending next season.  I like Demko, but he's playing way above his head right now as many goalies do from time-to-time.