NHL All-Star Rosters

DirtyDeeds

As much as Scott should not be in the game, the process the NHL set out for voting (no matter how idiotic) put him in there. So, I can understand why he would decline to step down. If you got a one in a lifetime chance to go to the All Star game, would you turn it down? He even offered to split the bonus with OEL, something he was not required to do. If the Pacific loses, OEL wouldn't get any money anyway, even if he had gone.

I don't want to put the tin foil hat on, but it seems a little too coincidental to be 100% coincidence.

You'd have thought the NHL would have learned their lesson with Girgensons, but nope.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NHL didn't make the trade, or put Scott on waivers... Maybe the Yotes were not happy he didn't step down and let another player represent them... I would rather see Ekman-Larsson playing, and the Pacific team would be better off if they actually attempt to win and get the million bucks to split among themselves...

The voting system was a farce... 10 votes a day from as many accounts as a person wanted to create... I am thinking that next year there is a different voting system in place with a limited selection of players...

No they didn't but I personally would suggest it's pretty naive to think the Coyotes and Habs cooked this all up on their own and the NHL had no say in it. No doubt in my mind te NHL played a part in this to try and save themselves some embarrassment.

No they didn't but I personally would suggest it's pretty naive to think the Coyotes and Habs cooked this all up on their own and the NHL had no say in it. No doubt in my mind te NHL played a part in this to try and save themselves some embarrassment.

I personally would suggest it's pretty naive to ignore the fact that the Yotes had waived Scott 3 times just this season as an indicator of how much they valued him being on the roster...   Scott refusing the Yotes request to step down in favor of a player like Ekman-Larsson was possibly the final straw more so than the same request by the league...   Lavoie had this to say on the matter...

95979bb661a7342ec0a01cd6264bbc48.png

and Dreger had said the the deal was in the works for weeks...

1a7bc13669fe1c8c116dca2d996dc29b.png

In the end it doesn't matter whether Scott is sent down by either the Yotes or the Habs, the end result is the same, so the conspiracy theorists can put away their tinfoil hats on this trade...

The league comes out of this looking bad no matter what happens from this point, and that is because they put in place an incredibly moronic voting system...

So here's a solution...   They could let Scott take Jagr's spot on the Atlantic roster (same Division as the Habs) as he has made it clear he did not want to take part in the 3 on 3 going back to before this fiasco started...   Scott can't represent a Division he is no longer a part of, and that way the league gets the rest of their spanking for allowing this debacle to happen in the first place...

I personally would suggest it's pretty naive to ignore the fact that the Yotes had waived Scott 3 times just this season as an indicator of how much they valued him being on the roster...   Scott refusing the Yotes request to step down in favor of a player like Ekman-Larsson was possibly the final straw more so than the same request by the league...   Lavoie had this to say on the matter...

95979bb661a7342ec0a01cd6264bbc48.png

and Dreger had said the the deal was in the works for weeks...

1a7bc13669fe1c8c116dca2d996dc29b.png

In the end it doesn't matter whether Scott is sent down by either the Yotes or the Habs, the end result is the same, so the conspiracy theorists can put away their tinfoil hats on this trade...

The league comes out of this looking bad no matter what happens from this point, and that is because they put in place an incredibly moronic voting system...

So here's a solution...   They could let Scott take Jagr's spot on the Atlantic roster (same Division as the Habs) as he has made it clear he did not want to take part in the 3 on 3 going back to before this fiasco started...   Scott can't represent a Division he is no longer a part of, and that way the league gets the rest of their spanking for allowing this debacle to happen in the first place...

That all sounds fine, but who takes his spot in the Pacific?  Who gets the captain spot, considering it was a fan vote?

The NHL should have clued in last year that if a country chose to vote in a player, then anything can happen.  It seems like a slightly different process this year (they must talk to George Strombo to see what's trending - little suits?  Bright blue jackets?), but the NHL is so out-of-touch it really should just make the fan vote just a sideshow award.  No harm done.

The whole Scott thing is just a tempest in a peepot (sic).

I'll be watching the same amount of the all-star debacle as I have for a # of years. 0 minutes. If there's any thing truly funny like the Gaudreau penalty shot appearance I'll catch the clip.

Wasting a weekend for this meaningless farce in the middle of a season is stupid in itself. Another gimmick in what used to be a great game.

I can see why people are upset. But for the most part, I dont see why everyone is so high on seeing john scott play in 3 on 3, other then we voted for him. Im almost sure 90% of people that voted him, did it as a complete joke, and now the NHL is like well this is just a stupid joke hes not going to play. I dont see any reason for him to attend the game, as he cant even play in the normal NHL anymore let alone the all star game. I would say let him attend the weekend but not the games, tell the trolls to go away and lets play some hockey. This is a ridiculous discussion in the first place.

That all sounds fine, but who takes his spot in the Pacific?  Who gets the captain spot, considering it was a fan vote?

I'll go with what I said earlier...   The Coyote with the next most votes would get in the game instead and the Pacific would go with whoever had the next highest number of votes in the Pacific Division as their Captain...

I don't see Subban giving up his spot (nor should he), and if Jagr chose to give Scott his place, The Panthers would still have Ekblad as a representative...   As another alternative the league could just let the Atlantic have Scott as an extra player...

This is an unprecedented situation as Scott will most likely not be an active player in the NHL again this season, but either way, I just can't see how Scott can represent the Pacific division if he is not a part of it...

The NHL should have clued in last year that if a country chose to vote in a player, then anything can happen.

They should have nipped this in the bud by having a better voting system...   It's not the first time the league has made a bad mistake, and I'm sure it won't be the last...   But I'm guessing this will be the last time something like this happens at the All-Star Game...    :ph34r:

As Flyerfan52 mentioned, there was a time that the All-Star game meant something...   But those days are long gone since the NHL chose to turn it into a circus..   I do think that the 3 vs 3 with a million bucks at stake is at least a step in the right direction though... 

What has happened this season with the leagues voting blunder and Scott is no different than a bunch of high school kids thinking it would be funny to vote for a misfit/ugly girl  as prom queen and then that girl deciding to go through with it because she decides it would be the opportunity of a lifetime...   All we need now is for a bucket of pigs blood to be dumped on Scott at the opening face off right before he goes berserk, kills everyone and burns the rink down...   :lol:

I do actually feel badly for Scott, as he was the butt of an ugly joke and he failed to recognize that fact...   Sure he asked a few other players if he should go he was told to go and enjoy himself...   What were they supposed to say "No John. stay home and have a couple of beers while you watch it on tv because you suck"?...  

My opinion stands that if he had bowed out gracefully and maybe then the league could have/should have allowed him the opportunity to participate in the weekend as a "celebrity figure" without the end result most likely being to cause himself to be further embarrassed on the ice then this could have had a better ending...   The point being is that if the waivers and/or trade hadn't happened this still wasn't going to end well for Scott if he participated on the ice as a very large percentage of the same people that voted him in would have been the same ones to point and laugh at the results...   They only wanted to poke fun at the league for what the All-Star weekend had become, and they didn't care if Scott was made a victim in the process...   That said, if he was to play now after all that has transpired, some people will no doubt feel vindicated and there could even be a shift away from Scott being made fun of during the event because of it, but either way I am certainly not going to lose any sleep over it... 

No matter what happens, the NHL comes out of this with egg on their face, and to a large extent, they deserve it...

I'll go with what I said earlier...   The Coyote with the next most votes would get in the game instead and the Pacific would go with whoever had the next highest number of votes in the Pacific Division as their Captain...

I don't see Subban giving up his spot (nor should he), and if Jagr chose to give Scott his place, The Panthers would still have Ekblad as a representative...   As another alternative the league could just let the Atlantic have Scott as an extra player...

This is an unprecedented situation as Scott will most likely not be an active player in the NHL again this season, but either way, I just can't see how Scott can represent the Pacific division if he is not a part of it...

They should have nipped this in the bud by having a better voting system...   It's not the first time the league has made a bad mistake, and I'm sure it won't be the last...   But I'm guessing this will be the last time something like this happens at the All-Star Game...    :ph34r:

As Flyerfan52 mentioned, there was a time that the All-Star game meant something...   But those days are long gone since the NHL chose to turn it into a circus..   I do think that the 3 vs 3 with a million bucks at stake is at least a step in the right direction though... 

What has happened this season with the leagues voting blunder and Scott is no different than a bunch of high school kids thinking it would be funny to vote for a misfit/ugly girl  as prom queen and then that girl deciding to go through with it because she decides it would be the opportunity of a lifetime...   All we need now is for a bucket of pigs blood to be dumped on Scott at the opening face off right before he goes berserk, kills everyone and burns the rink down...   :lol:

I do actually feel badly for Scott, as he was the butt of an ugly joke and he failed to recognize that fact...   Sure he asked a few other players if he should go he was told to go and enjoy himself...   What were they supposed to say "No John. stay home and have a couple of beers while you watch it on tv because you suck"?...  

My opinion stands that if he had bowed out gracefully and maybe then the league could have/should have allowed him the opportunity to participate in the weekend as a "celebrity figure" without the end result most likely being to cause himself to be further embarrassed on the ice then this could have had a better ending...   The point being is that if the waivers and/or trade hadn't happened this still wasn't going to end well for Scott if he participated on the ice as a very large percentage of the same people that voted him in would have been the same ones to point and laugh at the results...   They only wanted to poke fun at the league for what the All-Star weekend had become, and they didn't care if Scott was made a victim in the process...   That said, if he was to play now after all that has transpired, some people will no doubt feel vindicated and there could even be a shift away from Scott being made fun of during the event because of it, but either way I am certainly not going to lose any sleep over it... 

No matter what happens, the NHL comes out of this with egg on their face, and to a large extent, they deserve it...

The NHL is all about parity.  If Scott doesn't rep Arizona, they need to select someone else from that team.

I may be mistaken, but I think Johnny Hockey had the most votes in the Pacific other than Scott.  But you know that they wouldn't choose him; not enough of a character.  Too shy.  

The whole Scott thing is just a tempest in a peepot (sic).

I'll be watching the same amount of the all-star debacle as I have for a # of years. 0 minutes. If there's any thing truly funny like the Gaudreau penalty shot appearance I'll catch the clip.

Wasting a weekend for this meaningless farce in the middle of a season is stupid in itself. Another gimmick in what used to be a great game.

I'm obviously part of the younger gen FF52. I kind of like the skills competition because it's kind of fun. 1st year I watched, they actually did some cool shootout stuff. 2nd year was a little dorky though. I think the skills competition has a place as a bit of fun to kind of chill and have some fun before the final gauntlet to the playoffs is run. I wasn't ever interested in the game part though, it was just a double digit to double digit game that was boring. This year, I think I will tune in/try it out. I'm interested in a full 3v3 tournament. Maybe I think this way because I never knew any of the older all-star games, maybe the nostalgia is there for you. I don't know. That's just my take and I'm cool if you disagree.

I can see why people are upset. But for the most part, I dont see why everyone is so high on seeing john scott play in 3 on 3, other then we voted for him. Im almost sure 90% of people that voted him, did it as a complete joke, and now the NHL is like well this is just a stupid joke hes not going to play. I dont see any reason for him to attend the game, as he cant even play in the normal NHL anymore let alone the all star game. I would say let him attend the weekend but not the games, tell the trolls to go away and lets play some hockey. This is a ridiculous discussion in the first place.

I'm not high on seeing Scott play the 3v3 but the NHL made the rules and the announcement and they should live by it. I'm a stickler for the rules, so this may just be a personal thing, but if he was selected, he should be allowed to play no matter how stupid it is.

The NHL didn't seem to learn from last year's voting. They could have left off any player who had been through waivers or only allowed for voting on a handful of players (which is what I thought it would be before I went and voted for Johnny). Heck, they could of selected the allstars they wanted, then let the fans vote who the captain would be out of each divisional group. Did they not see that Scott was getting a ton of votes? They could've just not publicly announced that Scott won the voting and said 2nd place player won. Would've saved a lot of embarrassment to everyone. Now it's too late.

Maybe I'm of a different mind because I fit in the mold of the misfit/fat/ugly person being elected to prom royalty (never was) but if I knew or thought it was a joke, I'd go just to spite the people who did it.

Anyway, this is terrible PR for the league and they brought it on themselves through poor decisions.

I can't get over the comments. The league has egg on their face, they're a joke, they're out of touch...

The league entrusted it's fans to select the players they love. Is that not a noble thing to do?

The fans turned around and trampled that trust.

That is the disgrace here. So what happens now that you've trampled someone's trust?

They go in a different direction and never trust you again.

It's the fans that ruined everything, not the NHL.

I guess the real blame for the NHL lies in trusting the idiocy of the general population...

The only statement they really need is, "We apologize for entrusting the fans with this, and allowing them the opportunity to turn our trust into a blatant fiasco. We won't make that mistake again, and apologize to the fans that honoured that trust".

There was nothing noble about allowing 10 votes per day from as many accounts as a person wanted to create which is what skewed the voting process...   Hence the egg on their face comment...

Just imagine what could happen if a political vote was structured like that...  

The NHL in all it's great wisdom has decided that Scott will captain the Pacific Division at the All-Star game...   How a player that is not even on an active roster can participate in a division he is no longer associated with is beyond me...   :lol:

c43fb5f2e166deacaff65f6e34593f00.png

The NHL finally clued in that they blew it.  Allowing the fan vote created the situation.  Going with the joke vote made them look like fools.  Scott is a player the game is trying to get rid of.  

The PR nightmare continued when he was ruled ineligible.  There was no way to legitimatize the fan vote without making a mockery of the vote.  And there was no way to make the vote not count without looking like hypocrites.  So they look like complete idiots to let the vote count and keep the player in a division he doesn't play for in a league he isn't in.

I will be watching Johnny, just to see him get more experience in playing 3v3.  We're going to need him and Gio to be in top 3v3 form for the rest of the season.

I have been a strong supporter of enforcers in the game (as long as they follow the old school code) for a long time, and that list includes Brian McGrattan and Tim Hunter...   My opinion on that will never change...   But I never would have wanted or expected to see either of them or any other enforcer in an All-Star game...

There actually was a time when the All-Star game was something special, but as we all know it has been a circus show for quite some time now...

Just when Bettman and co. at least seemed to be at least taking a step in the right direction with the 3 vs 3 format and a million bucks on the line to hopefully begin to regain some legitimacy for the event, they drop the ball...   Again...

They screwed up royally with the voting system...   Fine...   Learn your lesson and fix it...

To let a player who is not even on an active roster participate, is highly questionable at best...

But what does putting Scott in a division he is no longer associated with when there is money at stake for the outcome of the game for all of the players involved say towards having even a shred of credibility for Bettman and co. in regards to how this was handled?...

Let the show go on...   :lol:

60b8eec86d36b217df3eac9f1d553428.png

The event has become a farce.  Glorified shinny games.  The skills comp is a joke now too.  Johnny's ask to light his stick on fire was rejected, even though they allowed a kid to be skated down the ice.  Poignant yes, hockey no.  Guys like Ovi are funny, but do you want to pay to see the off-ice side of Ovi?  I don't.  Do I want to see a skills comp that turned into a humor event? No.  

I like the idea of the 3v3 format, but it won't be the same as a real game.  There is no checking and instead there are prima donnas showing that they can lift and bat the puck like a baseball.  If they miss, who cares.

There was nothing noble about allowing 10 votes per day from as many accounts as a person wanted to create which is what skewed the voting process...   Hence the egg on their face comment...

Just imagine what could happen if a political vote was structured like that...  

Pretty much covers my point, egg on their face is trusting a population that does that.

I agree with the decision now. You vote, choke on it. How many excuses get created.

The joy of accountability...how easy it is to push off.

I don't think the joke is on the NHL, it's on us.

We reap what we sow, as it should be, but rarely is.

It's fun to watch. Is it the NHL's fault, I don't think so.

Keep voting the same. If it is exploited, well, it kinda speaks to the character of the general population doesn't it?

Don't react, let it.

According to the guidelines, the Coyotes are supposed to have at least one player to represent them...

We all know what happened with Scott, but the way it was handled according to the latest update on Monday leaves Arizona without a player to represent the team...   If I was a Yotes fan, I would be PO'ed...   Total lack of credibility here for how Bettman solved "the problem"...

7abbdf243089583a08111d33ce831efa.png

16e7ca95977717eb3e325ec930ac7e55.png

d38416c3e929e0f2d189b0df9275206b.png

According to the guidelines, the Coyotes are supposed to have at least one player to represent them...

We all know what happened with Scott, but the way it was handled according to the latest update on Monday leaves Arizona without a player to represent the team...   If I was a Yotes fan, I would be PO'ed...   Total lack of credibility here for how Bettman solved "the problem"...

I think if he was going to solve it this way, he should have taken a spot from someone in his new division, it literally makes no sense for him to represent the pacific. The "fans" voted him in, so he should be playing in his new division. Im pretty sure if JH got traded to the NYR, he would be representing the NYR not the calgary flames.

Keep voting the same. If it is exploited, well, it kinda speaks to the character of the general population doesn't it?

I have an idea, let's not require passports or customs to get into our country. "If it is exploited, well, it kinda speaks to the character of the general population doesn't it?" I think all of human history has shown that the general character of the populace is terrible. Don't set systems up to be easily rigged or don't be surprised when they are. The former is a much better option.

This is the internet and things like 4chan exist.

Archived