NHL All-Star Rosters

DirtyDeeds

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They replaced and Ovi and Toews already.  Kuznetsov and Neal are in.  I guess Toews was a personal choice, since he was given a game suspension for not going.

Ah.  I didn't hear that they'd named replacements.  They were saying on TSN that Toews has a respiratory infection and needs some R&R.

Ah.  I didn't hear that they'd named replacements.  They were saying on TSN that Toews has a respiratory infection and needs some R&R.

Yes, I read that it was something.  Illness or injury.  Regardless, once they have been picked, only an IR injury would be an excuse without losing a game's pay.  Both Ovi and Toews.  It was their decision not to go.

Yes, I read that it was something.  Illness or injury.  Regardless, once they have been picked, only an IR injury would be an excuse without losing a game's pay.  Both Ovi and Toews.  It was their decision not to go.

Which is so dumb. I'm the weird one on here who kinda likes the All-Star weekend (at least the skills comp but 3v3 sounds interesting to me). To suspend a player for not coming to an event that is fun and games because of illness or injuries is just another item in the long list of dumb things the NHL has done the past few years. What with the recent All-Star events, I'm getting pretty disgusted with the league management (not the players or NHL hockey).

I wonder, if half the invitees refused to show up next year in protest, what the NHL would do? Suspend all of them? I think that would top the Scott controversy of this year.

The NHL talked with Scott and asked him if he really wanted his kids to see him at there event.... Talk about stupid way to approach the subject....

There was a day when I look forward to the All Star game. As a fan we got to see all the stars in one place but no there is little of interest to me.

As for the Stars being suspended, the NHL had to do something. The Stars were preferring to take the time off and heal wounds. How can it be a true All Star game with no stars or half missing? So the suspensions and league taking the stand they need to be there or be suspended.

The NHL talked with Scott and asked him if he really wanted his kids to see him at there event.... Talk about stupid way to approach the subject....

There was a day when I look forward to the All Star game. As a fan we got to see all the stars in one place but no there is little of interest to me.

As for the Stars being suspended, the NHL had to do something. The Stars were preferring to take the time off and heal wounds. How can it be a true All Star game with no stars or half missing? So the suspensions and league taking the stand they need to be there or be suspended.

But if the game is rubbish now, as a fair amount of people on this board think, then it's silly to suspend them. Heck, a one game suspension for several days of rest might be worth it, at least it is to two players this year.

Note that I don't begrudge those who don't care for the current all-star weekends. I've only been a fan for 6 years and 2 of those years were as a kid. I've only watched 2 all-star weekends, so perhaps any sort of tedium hasn't set in yet.

I guess I've just viewed the all-star weekend as a chance to have a bit of fun and a break before the last lap of the season kicks in. I don't take it seriously, but that's why I like it.

[How many unpopular opinions have I supported in the last week eh? I've got too much time on my hands.]

I am at least looking forward to seeing Johnny OT playing.  Should be fun for him and a chance to skate 3v3 for extended time and get some practice in.  Unfortunately, it will be a shinny game, but they are playing for money, so at least they will try.  Should be right up Taylor Hall's alley; skating without fear of anyone trying to hit him.

Pretty disgusting to read that article and see what extend the NHL went to in order to get Scott to withdraw. You can call me a tinfoil hat person but I am absolutley convinced that they pushed the Yotes to trade John Scott hoping it would go away and the fact they would say something like this to me only supports that. In case you missed the article:

“Do you think this is something your kids would be proud of?”

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/a-guy-like-me/

Disgusting. The league deserves to look silly on this one becuae they've handled it about as poorly as you possible could have. Been a real back few weeks for the league between this and the whole Wideman/Linesman head trauma issue where 2 participants who clearly had suffered head traumas were allowed to continue. NHL needs to wake up here. 

PS - on a side note, that is a terrific article that I highly recommend reading. 

Pretty disgusting to read that article and see what extend the NHL went to in order to get Scott to withdraw. You can call me a tinfoil hat person but I am absolutley convinced that they pushed the Yotes to trade John Scott hoping it would go away and the fact they would say something like this to me only supports that. In case you missed the article:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/a-guy-like-me/

Disgusting. The league deserves to look silly on this one becuae they've handled it about as poorly as you possible could have. Been a real back few weeks for the league between this and the whole Wideman/Linesman head trauma issue where 2 participants who clearly had suffered head traumas were allowed to continue. NHL needs to wake up here. 

PS - on a side note, that is a terrific article that I highly recommend reading. 

Yeah. Sometimes we all (me included) forget hockey players are real people. It was very much worth the time to read it.

Yes, yes! The NHL execs are really not helping themselves out. I wish it had never happened, but perhaps the Wideman incident will be the bad publicity that forces them to address it. For all their talk of wanting to grow the game, they're making decisions like they want the opposite.

I dont see the league actually forcing arizona to make a trade. I dont think they would have had to, its totally possible that upper management or ownership of the coyotes didnt want john scott representing them at the all star, they could have hoped that a trade would have made him ineligible. I see that far more likely then the league saying to arizona and montreal hey guys could you make this trade.

Hopefully teammates will go out of their way to set up Scott.

The whole affair is shameful.

From the fans that started the chant to the hockey snobbery that can't get over itself.

Since when did hockey become "no fun allowed"?

Stick your opinions, let's head down to the rink.

What's happened to us?

I dont see the league actually forcing arizona to make a trade. I dont think they would have had to, its totally possible that upper management or ownership of the coyotes didnt want john scott representing them at the all star, they could have hoped that a trade would have made him ineligible. I see that far more likely then the league saying to arizona and montreal hey guys could you make this trade.

This is my thinking too.  Why would the NHL push a trade to get him out of the game and then declare him eligible to play anyway?  Doesn't make sense.

This is my thinking too.  Why would the NHL push a trade to get him out of the game and then declare him eligible to play anyway?  Doesn't make sense.

AB boy makes a good point. Though I would suggest that they only let him play after they realized the backlash would be worse than bringing him to the game.

I do hope it ends well though.

There is the public vote. The NHL did not envision the fans would do a vote that would mock the process by voting an enforcer type in.

They then treated the fans with disrespect by trying to bury him.

They will change the process so this won't happen again... Mark my words.

I hope they do. I'm not holding my breath though.

Lol, oh man, Brent Burns doing the breakaway challenge as a Wookie was priceless!  Loved it!  He should have won that.  :lol:   Subban as Jagr was pretty awesome too, though.

Jaromir Subban was pretty good. Wookie Burns too, with the evolution pictures and theatrics. I have to admit though, I really liked the Nashville player with two pucks. ROR through the legs was pretty sick too. Lots of good fun. I just wish Johnny got to do that event (and light his stick on fire, at least the blade).

It was nice to see Scott get a lot of cheers. He also didn't place last in the hardest shot and posted a competitive number.

Larkin breaking the speed record was pretty neat too.

Gio bombing Johnny's interview though. Ha ha!

I didnt like elliot friedman asking JH what he was going to do with the money. Two minutes after the game, and hes asking him if hes going to give his portion of the 1 million to charity. I wouldnt expect the players to give it to charity, thats their prerogative.

I was watching on NBCSN so I guess I missed that. Oh well, reporters, what're ya gonna do?

I didnt like elliot friedman asking JH what he was going to do with the money. Two minutes after the game, and hes asking him if hes going to give his portion of the 1 million to charity. I wouldnt expect the players to give it to charity, thats their prerogative.

Yes Mr Friedman. When you earn and win a portion of 1 million dollars, please tell us which charity you donate your share to....

I watched most of this weekend. Lots of good things to talk about: (for a change)

Weak Pacific Division wins it all.... Way to go guys...

John Scott wins MVP... Salute Mr Scott.

In the end Mr Scott got his minutes of fame and earned them. The fans who sent him there had their wishes justified.

Goaltenders won the final 3 on 3.... Let that sink in a minute...

Hall JH and Gio line? ... impressive.

I am pretty sure JH or Larkin had most chances......

Overall I enjoyed this format.. expect the NHL to tweak the fun out of it...

Archived