The OHL season has come to a close with Mangiapane tied for 2nd with 51 goals only 1 goal behind the leader. He also finished 6th in points with 106.

Hopefully Barrie can have a long playoff run resulting in a Memorial Cup birth. If not I am sure Mangiapane and Andersson will be headed to Stockton to get an idea of what life as a pro will be like.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mangiapane has one thing that Sven never had; 100% compete level.  Mangiapane is a constant threat on the forecheck, is more of a sniper than a passer, and plays with an edge.  If Byron can transition to the NHL, I see no reason why Mangipane can't.    

It's weird....Baertschi was also known for his aggresiveness.  That is, until the world juniors.  His first concussion of several.

I really think that his style of play changed significantly after junior.  Maybe the injuries, maybe he just didn't have the skating to be that player at the NHL level.   My gut has always leaned towards concussion issues.   

Back to Mangiapane....he is pure compete.   It is hard to imagine him not competing.  So, ultimately, I agree.  With a little defense to Baertschi.

A lot of it will depend on development.  Mangiapane faces an uphill battle, but one with a lot of upside.

found this old scouting report on Baertschi:

http://www.firstroundbust.com/2011/06/10-for-10-sven-bartschi.html

Listening to his interview on the Fan today, after the signing. He said he thinks he's close to ready. :) He has confidence. So that's nice. He didn't sound arrogant about it either. But that was good. A few years in the AHL and I think he could be a good pick. Here is to hoping. :)

Listening to his interview on the Fan today, after the signing. He said he thinks he's close to ready. :) He has confidence. So that's nice. He didn't sound arrogant about it either. But that was good. A few years in the AHL and I think he could be a good pick. Here is to hoping. :)

Think about it this way.  Bennett is 4 months younger than Mangipane.  Sam missed almost an entire year of hockey, while Mange played out the seasons.  Not quite as much hockey as Bennett, but Mange's time was not interrupted by injury.  Other than lack of pro experience, there is little stopping him from making the NHL sooner than later.

The hard thing will be proving to Hartley that he belongs at the NHL level.  I think he has already opened some eyes here.  He has to train like a maniac this summer to be ready. 

Think about it this way.  Bennett is 4 months younger than Mangipane.  Sam missed almost an entire year of hockey, while Mange played out the seasons.  Not quite as much hockey as Bennett, but Mange's time was not interrupted by injury.  Other than lack of pro experience, there is little stopping him from making the NHL sooner than later.

The hard thing will be proving to Hartley that he belongs at the NHL level.  I think he has already opened some eyes here.  He has to train like a maniac this summer to be ready. 

You mean, train like a Mange-iac?

You mean, train like a Mange-iac?

He's a Mangeiac, a Mangeiac, oh woo.

I am really curious to see how his game translates to pro. Given his style of game combined with his size I think there is a real risk it doesn't translate well and he may have a slow start until he makes some adjustments to his game.

I suspect he will adapt, much the way Johnny has.  He's never been huge, so seems to have found a way to score at this level. Of course there is a big risk, but he's also a bit of a sniper, so will probably score the same type of goals Johnny does in the NHL. Not saying he will, but I can see him being a pest.  Not Hathaway type of pest.  

I suspect he will adapt, much the way Johnny has. He's never been huge, so seems to have found a way to score at this level. Of course there is a big risk, but he's also a bit of a sniper, so will probably score the same type of goals Johnny does in the NHL. Not saying he will, but I can see him being a pest. Not Hathaway type of pest.

I see the similarities and differences in their games as well. I think he has found a way his whole life, and he said as much in his interview.

He is 5'10" so not as tiny as Gaudreau, but not as big as league average. I think he can play, but do we have room for smaller players. He's a great piece to have in our organization and could be a great fit on another team if his size is an issue here.

I see the similarities and differences in their games as well. I think he has found a way his whole life, and he said as much in his interview.

He is 5'10" so not as tiny as Gaudreau, but not as big as league average. I think he can play, but do we have room for smaller players. He's a great piece to have in our organization and could be a great fit on another team if his size is an issue here.

LIke I said before in this thread I think his comparable is Nick cousins. I dont think the size is an issue as with other small players like palat etc. It will take him some time to adapt to the pro game but I think he should be ok if he puts in the work.

I suspect he will adapt, much the way Johnny has. He's never been huge, so seems to have found a way to score at this level. Of course there is a big risk, but he's also a bit of a sniper, so will probably score the same type of goals Johnny does in the NHL. Not saying he will, but I can see him being a pest. Not Hathaway type of pest.

Different games though. Gaudreau is all skill. Mangiapane doesn't have the same level of skill and he plays with a bit more grit.

Absolutely.  Personally, I don't think we would have room for him right now at the NHL level.  But, we have no idea what the team will look like in 2 years.   

If he develops into a quality NHL player, I'm sure the Flames would be More than Happy to inherit the problem of finding room.   Here, or elsewhere.  That's what trades are for.

Really excited to see how he transitions to the AHL

• 2 weeks later...

What can you say about the Mang 5 gp 3 g 3 a one of them a SHG and 23 shots on net not bad for a little guy I know it doesn't always compute to a NHL player but it does give us a lot of hope. 106 point in the reg could have been more if he didn't lose those 8 games to being to aggressive or just silliness. Great work Mang keep it up ;)

Mangiapane scored two goals and added an assist in the first game of the second round against North Bay.

Mangiapane's an excellent player, but I feel like Labanc is the straw that stirs the drink.  That said, Mang really upped his game while Labanc was off getting repairs during game seven against the Steelheads.

As a side-note, I felt Rasmus Andersson was the best d-man for either team during game seven against the Steelheads. 

Mangiapane scored two goals and added an assist in the first game of the second round against North Bay.

Mangiapane's an excellent player, but I feel like Labanc is the straw that stirs the drink.  That said, Mang really upped his game while Labanc was off getting repairs during game seven against the Steelheads.

As a side-note, I felt Rasmus Andersson was the best d-man for either team during game seven against the Steelheads. 

There are players scoring for the Colts that will never make the NHL.  Mangiapane is a smaller forward that will take some time to make the NHL, but that is due to his size.  Not a lot smaller than Bennett, but he needs to bulk up a bit or mold his game to the style Johnny plays.  I look at Cogliano and wonder if that would be a good comparison to what he could be.

Gezz that's so funny that's pretty much what every one said about JH so no confusion Johnny Hockey. I know what every one is going to say he is not JH but who says he can't be as productive as JH look at Theron Flury to small but look what he did. I'm pretty sure he will surprise you T-D. I for see him in a flames uniform next yr maybe not for the full season but a good portion of the season. Heres hoping any way.

I have no illusions about the likelihood of Mangiapane making it to the NHL.  But, the fact that a 6th rounder is in the conversation means we're playing with house money.

I doubt the Flames will send him back to Barrie for an over-age season.  I think he's ready for the AHL, and I think he'll present well at that level.  

Gezz that's so funny that's pretty much what every one said about JH so no confusion Johnny Hockey. I know what every one is going to say he is not JH but who says he can't be as productive as JH look at Theron Flury to small but look what he did. I'm pretty sure he will surprise you T-D. I for see him in a flames uniform next yr maybe not for the full season but a good portion of the season. Heres hoping any way.

I think you may need to read my post again.  My first line was in reference to players on the Colts that are currently scoring points. Justin Scott is an example of what I mean; he's never scored more than a point per game in his seasons in the OHL.

I also said Mangiapane will make the NHL, but take some time to get there due to his size and playing style.  As for being in the NHL next year, there are guys ahead of him in development that should before him.  

Issue Mang will have is bottom 6 fowards are typically there for a niche defensive role. Due to his size an inexperience i dont think he plays in the nhl until he can slot in that top 6 role he fits into. Unless we have another throw away season post deadline then i highly doubt we see him untill he is a prolific scorer at the ahl level.

Issue Mang will have is bottom 6 fowards are typically there for a niche defensive role. Due to his size an inexperience i dont think he plays in the nhl until he can slot in that top 6 role he fits into. Unless we have another throw away season post deadline then i highly doubt we see him untill he is a prolific scorer at the ahl level.

We currently have 3 Top6 winger openings, so I'd think Mangiapanne has a great shot at making the NHL next season. It'll come down to the competition next training camp.

We currently have 3 Top6 winger openings, so I'd think Mangiapanne has a great shot at making the NHL next season. It'll come down to the competition next training camp.

I'm pretty high on the kid.  But I don't see that.   I'm thinking 1-2 years of AHL would be best for him.   But I could be wrong, and that would be great.

He did look pretty good in camp last year, but unless he blows the doors off like Gaudreau did, he won't get the nod early on.  If not, he will have to battle hard in the AHL and hope for an injury gig.

Archived