• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Expect BT to pick up some competition for the empty spots on our wings. We have the pairings for 2 solid lines and depth to fill in remaining, so really only need some depth there. Unless we draft someone special don't expect them to be something great.

Totally disagree with this line of thinking.  Signing more marginal guys for competition over the past two years is part of the problem with now have with excess guys (e.g. Raymond...).  BT needs to clear out bodies and give some of our prospects a real chance to fill our needs.  That would include Grant, Jankowski, Mangiapanne, Agostino, Shinkaruk, Poirier, Shore, Hathaway, 20916 1st Rounder and others...  We have no idea at this point which of these guys can fill the needs, if any, but clogging the way with retreads isn't helping matters and will end in dropping younger guys that could do the job.  We've already made these mistakes, no need to repeat them.  Unless we can get 1 proven, solid winger via UFA or trade (and I don't see any I'm interested in) we should not be looking at additions.

Totally disagree with this line of thinking.  Signing more marginal guys for competition over the past two years is part of the problem with now have with excess guys (e.g. Raymond...).  BT needs to clear out bodies and give some of our prospects a real chance to fill our needs.  That would include Grant, Jankowski, Mangiapanne, Agostino, Shinkaruk, Poirier, Shore, Hathaway, 20916 1st Rounder and others...  We have no idea at this point which of these guys can fill the needs, if any, but clogging the way with retreads isn't helping matters and will end in dropping younger guys that could do the job.  We've already made these mistakes, no need to repeat them.  Unless we can get 1 proven, solid winger via UFA or trade (and I don't see any I'm interested in) we should not be looking at additions.

I am not saying this is what we should do, I am saying this is likely what we will see from BT again. Why would you expect him to do anything else? he has done just that, bring in vets to fill perceived holes and/or create competition since he got here. 

Edit: he talked about this philosophy in his presser yesterday. Building depth I think is what he called it. The upgrading he already said will be a challenge with the cap situation right now. (I read that as they won't be bringing in or trading for a high priced RW or 3D.

We all want to see what we have in prospects but you have to temper your wants & needs. Wanting to see what a prospect can do is okay at the end of the season when the season is lost. They are unlikely to make the team better right away, especially if the prospects are only borderline ready. I'm not ready to insert a bunch of prospects into the lineup to start a season,  just because it is going to save a little money or just because we have holes. That is a recipe for another disaster season.

I'm not counting on the Flames 2016 draft pick to play in the NHL next season, unless they win the lottery and get one of the Top 3 picks.

Mangiapane will need a minimum of one year in Stockton, probably two.

Agreed.

To put things in perspective, he would have to play one more year just to get the same amount of development time as Gaudreau, before he went NHL.

And....even the most optimistic of us, know full well that Mangiapane is not Gaudreau.

Heck....even if Mangiapane takes 3 AHL seasons, he'll still be a young prospect.  You can't expect a guy his size to jump in like Monahan.  As long as he keeps improving...we're good.  And in the meantime, he'll hopefully help keep Stockton competitive.   Ensuring better development for All our prospects.

Agreed.

To put things in perspective, he would have to play one more year just to get the same amount of development time as Gaudreau, before he went NHL.

And....even the most optimistic of us, know full well that Mangiapane is not Gaudreau.

Heck....even if Mangiapane takes 3 AHL seasons, he'll still be a young prospect.  You can't expect a guy his size to jump in like Monahan.  As long as he keeps improving...we're good.  And in the meantime, he'll hopefully help keep Stockton competitive.   Ensuring better development for All our prospects.

We can sit around and say player X is not ready or not good enough or needs X years in the AHL...Bottom line is what he does in training camp, what available slots there are, and who the coach is will decide where he plays this year and next year.

Bennett almost made it in his Draft +1 season, but needed surgery.  Johnny Hockey made it on performance alone.  Monahan made it in his draft year.  Mangiapane raised some eyebrows last year at TC.  I have no expectation for him to make it, but would not be shocked if he did, at least for his 9 game cup of coffee. 

Mangiapane had a 4 point night (2g 2a) in the deciding game against North Bay.  He was named 1st star.  Andersson had 2 apples.

In 11 games so far, he has 8g and 17 points.  Next up, Niagara Ice Dogs.

Link to FN article about it.   http://flamesnation.ca/2016/4/14/andrew-mangiapane-rasmus-andersson-advance-to-third-round-of-ohl-playoffs

• 1 month later...

Archived